• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

#team12inch

Get Chunky, go into landscape and read comics. Its amazing. And yeah, not heavy or awkward, split screen rules too. Very productive machine when paired with a bluetooth keyboard.

Majine

Banned
Bought the 9.7 inch Pro. The reduced size is not that big deal of a deal, and I do a lot of facetiming, so the improved front-facing camera will come in handy.

Can't wait to get into multitasking and drawing.

I'm probably going to wind up getting that usb-c to lightning cable when I grab the new rMB (with the 29w USB-C brick) for that quick-charging goodness.

Vyer

Are the smart covers for the Pro kinda heavy? I picked up a 3rd party case and the cover flap adds a lot of weight. I guess for support?

Red

I want to get my wife a 9.7" Pro for our anniversary. I am approved for financing through Apple's Barclaycard thing. I'd also like to get the back engraved. Two questions:

1. Are there any downsides to using an Apple credit card? (Hidden fees etc)
2. Will engraving significantly lower resale value?

Can't wait for tomorrow, already bought my Pencil.

I messed around with the larger Pro yesterday just to be sure I didn't prefer and it really just feels too big to me. I don't need that much space to take notes, I don't watch video on my iPad, and the apps I use to read are all designed with the 10" iPad in mind anyway. iBooks just felt ridiculous. Having two pages side by side is neat, but doesn't improve my reading experience at all. Shifting my gaze to the other page doesn't require that much less effort than tapping the screen.

Blackhead

Redarse
I want to get my wife a 9.7" Pro for our anniversary. I am approved for financing through Apple's Barclaycard thing. I'd also like to get the back engraved. Two questions:

1. Are there any downsides to using an Apple credit card? (Hidden fees etc)
2. Will engraving significantly lower resale value?

1. If you miss the specified months repayment the interest is pretty steep.
2. YES if it's a highly specific message that only applies to your family like 'save Martha'. Otherwise it's is a somewhat generic engraving AND you offer to sell the device with a case that covers the engraving then it won't lower the resale value too much. Also you can't return or exchange an engraved iDevice. I'd strongly advice not engraving and instead getting her a fancy case or one of those design decals to personalize the device.

Red

The engraving would be "rosebud," and I think she'd like it, but I think the prudent course is to go without engraving. $599 in a year won't be difficult. I think I'll have it paid off easy within three or four months. But $600 is not a cost I'm comfortable eating up front.

Picked up the 29W USB-C charging brick and the USB-C to Lightning cable for my 12.9. On the one hand Apple should have included both of those anyway, on the other hand current charging times are unacceptable and this gives me the power to change it, even if it costs money

What I'm going to do in the near future is test the maximum power draw of all of Apple's charging devices. I know the 12.9" Pro takes advantage of the 28W while I don't think the 9.7" does. Do iPhones? I know they use up to 12W, how about higher? Does the Watch pull anything over 5W? How about the new Apple TV remote, or the new Magic accessories?

Questions that no one cares about, except maybe if the phone pulls more than 12W or the Watch pulls more than 5W

Edit: you know what, I decided that I don't even care. Will use the 29W on my Pro, the 12W on the 6s Plus, and the 5W on my Watch. I don't have time for this

Got my order in for the iPad itself, I'm buying it from Best Buy though and all of the accessories are available to ship but not for store pickup. I know a guy who works at one who said they'd have everything in tomorrow, hopefully they're just not in the system or something and not sold out already. It'll suck if to get the iPad tomorrow and have to wait for a case to ship.

Picked up the 29W USB-C charging brick and the USB-C to Lightning cable for my 12.9. On the one hand Apple should have included both of those anyway, on the other hand current charging times are unacceptable and this gives me the power to change it, even if it costs money

What I'm going to do in the near future is test the maximum power draw of all of Apple's charging devices. I know the 12.9" Pro takes advantage of the 28W while I don't think the 9.7" does. Do iPhones? I know they use up to 12W, how about higher? Does the Watch pull anything over 5W? How about the new Apple TV remote, or the new Magic accessories?

Questions that no one cares about, except maybe if the phone pulls more than 12W or the Watch pulls more than 5W

Edit: you know what, I decided that I don't even care. Will use the 29W on my Pro, the 12W on the 6s Plus, and the 5W on my Watch. I don't have time for this

The iPad Pro 12.9" has a dual sided (and USB3 compatible) Lightning port, which allows it to take a much higher power draw if desired. The smaller Pro (and iPhones) do not have this feature.

The iPad Pro 12.9" has a dual sided (and USB3 compatible) Lightning port, which allows it to take a much higher power draw if desired. The smaller Pro (and iPhones) do not have this feature.

So I discovered. The USB-C block has two charging modes, 14.5V at 2A (29W) and 5V at 2.4A (12W). So at least it won't overvolt other devices when plugged in

Got a 9.7" Pro and a silicone cover. Smart and keyboard covers don't seem to be in anywhere near me.

I asked a woman at Best Buy if they had any cases and she said "Well no, that just came out today so we won't have stuff like that for a week or so" like I was an idiot for asking.

Fox1304

Still baffled by the fact that there is no AZERTY version of the keybord, nor a third party smart cover ...
The logitech keyboard looks nice, but it's really too heavy for me.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I've saved a little bit of money and was thinking about buying an iPad Pro. I'll use it for studying for university like writing japanese or analysing pictures for art history but also for working on the pictures I take. It needs to be mobile, because I want to carry it everywhere with me.

Either I buy the 9" with 128GB and LTE or the 12" with 128GB. Or the 9" without LTE, because usually I've my iPhone with me..

Because of the better display I tend to buy the 9"...what say you Pro Gaf? it's a fuckton of money..so I really don't know

I've saved a little bit of money and was thinking about buying an iPad Pro. I'll use it for studying for university like writing japanese or analysing pictures but also for working on the pictures I take. It needs to be mobile, because I want to carry it everywhere with me.

Either I buy the 9" with 128GB and LTE or the 12" with 128GB.

Because of the better display I tend to buy the 9"...what say you Pro Gaf?

Get the 12". LTE is nice but it's not worth giving up 3 inches. There's a joke here somewhere.

I've saved a little bit of money and was thinking about buying an iPad Pro. I'll use it for studying for university like writing japanese or analysing pictures for art history but also for working on the pictures I take. It needs to be mobile, because I want to carry it everywhere with me.

Either I buy the 9" with 128GB and LTE or the 12" with 128GB. Or the 9" without LTE, because usually I've my iPhone with me..

Because of the better display I tend to buy the 9"...what say you Pro Gaf? it's a fuckton of money..so I really don't know

Play around with them before you buy, I think the 12" one is ridiculously big. To me reading is a lot more comfortable on the 10" model. If you're drawing or editing photos or videos the extra screen real estate would probably be nice, but for reading and web browsing the smaller version is a lot more manageable, and the screen seems fine to me for taking notes. I used to own a Surface Pro 3 that I used to take notes with while I was in school and the 9.7" iPad Pro is closer in size to that than it is to the 12".

Red

From my short time with it, the 9.7" Pro seems a little cramped for working with images. I'd prefer a larger screen for editing pictures or videos. Though as a note-taking device the 12" Pro would be unwieldy.

Tobor

Shockingly, after trying both today, the Smart Keyboard on the 9.7" was easier to type on than the 12.9". I was shocked. So shocked I said shocked again!

I bought the iPad Pro but they didn't have the Smart Keyboard, which sucks. Now I have to jury rig a stand until I can find one.

Shockingly, after trying both today, the Smart Keyboard on the 9.7" was easier to type on than the 12.9". I was shocked. So shocked I said shocked again!

I bought the iPad Pro but they didn't have the Smart Keyboard, which sucks. Now I have to jury rig a stand until I can find one.

I ordered one, it's getting to Best Buy next Saturday. I asked the manager how quickly they sold out and he said they didn't get any, the ones coming in next week are the first they'll be getting. Annoying.

Probably gonna pick up a 12.9" today, been having mad anxiety over which size to get but since I'll mainly use it as a drawing (90%) /comic/browsing -thing , size won me over. Gold of course. Bling bling!

toohectic

Can you use the Apple Pencil to hand write an email in iOS mail? I'd pick up an Apple Pencil specifically for this if it was possible. Or would I have to do it in an image app and attach the handwritten image to the email? It would be ideal if you could write directly into the mail app. Any info or suggestions?

Can you use the Apple Pencil to hand write an email in iOS mail? I'd pick up an Apple Pencil specifically for this if it was possible. Or would I have to do it in an image app and attach the handwritten image to the email? It would be ideal if you could write directly into the mail app. Any info or suggestions?

I can test it out tonight, but I'm pretty sure you can't write directly in the mail app.

Quick

Banned
Debating between buying the iPad Pro 9.7" or buy the cheaper Air 2.

I don't know yet. Been looking to upgrade from my iPad Mini 2 for the longest time now.

I can afford either, but the Air 2 is cheaper, and specs aren't too different from the Pro 9.7".

toohectic

I can test it out tonight, but I'm pretty sure you can't write directly in the mail app.

I tested it in store today. You can't write directly in the email app, but I was able to hand write in notes and then attach the note as an imbedded image in mail. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

I'm weighing up on which Pro to get.

95% of my Ipad 3 use has been comic reading; mostly outside or on planes.

Weight and sun glare probably being my biggest concern. Which would be the ideal choice? Leaning towards 9.7" for the portability at this point.

I tested it in store today. You can't write directly in the email app, but I was able to hand write in notes and then attach the note as an imbedded image in mail. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Hand-writing on an electronic device is fun. I used to handwrite a lot of GAF posts on my Surface Pro while I was in class or meetings. Hopefully the Pro gets the ability to do handwriting-to-text.

Weight and sun glare probably being my biggest concern. Which would be the ideal choice? Leaning towards 9.7" for the portability at this point.

The 9.7 is supposed to have a less reflective screen. I'm not sure how big the difference is though.

So I got the 12inch yesterday. Oh man it's such a nice little device, I say little because yeah it's bigger but it's not unwieldly like some make it out to be. It's a treat to draw on. My pregnant wife was sitting with it propped up on her belly and drawing for awhile too (art background and she liked it :)). Plus we're coming from the Ipad 3 which weighs as much as it.

There's some things in Procreate i have issues with but I hope to be able to teach myself out of it (feels like i draw little accidental smudges with my fingers every now and then).
So yeah, If you're ever in the "shit which version should i get"-camp, I can offer a few words (but basically, Are you gonna draw/create alot? Just stop thinking, get 12inch. If not, get 9.7). I've been tearing my hair out over it but I'm glad to say I chose right now in retrospect. My computer will see far less use now.

Chao

So I got the 12inch yesterday. Oh man it's such a nice little device, I say little because yeah it's bigger but it's not unwieldly like some make it out to be. It's a treat to draw on. My pregnant wife was sitting with it propped up on her belly and drawing for awhile too (art background and she liked it :)). Plus we're coming from the Ipad 3 which weighs as much as it.

There's some things in Procreate i have issues with but I hope to be able to teach myself out of it (feels like i draw little accidental smudges with my fingers every now and then).
So yeah, If you're ever in the "shit which version should i get"-camp, I can offer a few words (but basically, Are you gonna draw/create alot? Just stop thinking, get 12inch. If not, get 9.7). I've been tearing my hair out over it but I'm glad to say I chose right now in retrospect. My computer will see far less use now.

I'd recommend a glove for that, you can make it yourself and will get rid of those smudges

171c4fc62caa197efee4f1df9a0d9b4c_8.jpg

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
thank you for all the answers so far!

honestly, it annoys me to no end that the 9.7 iPad does not have 4GB of RAM. I mean yes I want to write on it, maybe sketch a little bit but mostly use it for learning and working on pictures I took.

Really important is tho, that it is portable. The weight of the 9.7 is a really big plus for me. I usually take my iPad mini everywhere with me and I want to do the same with the Pro.

Oh well..going to the apple store on wednesday. Does one of you know if you will get AOC/EDU prices in the apple store or are they online only?

Here's a random question, but can you develop at all on an iPad Pro? Can you run applications like Sublime or Brackets or even Coda 2?

Coda has an iPad app. Textastic is similar to Sublime, about as close as you'll get I guess from the apps I know. There's a few text editors, and supposedly Xcode is going to be available on the Pro at some point.

Coda has an iPad app. Textastic is similar to Sublime, about as close as you'll get I guess from the apps I know. There's a few text editors, and supposedly Xcode is going to be available on the Pro at some point.

Wow, Coda being on the iPad is sweet, but I guess it's expected when the app costs $100, lol. Thanks!

jts

...hate me...
Why is it so common that people refer to the the 12.9” as 12” (when it’s basically 13”) but the mid sized is dubbed 9.7” almost without fail. 1 inch makes a difference if you know what I’m sayin’... get it? Get it? Sorry.

Been daydreaming about a 12.9” and putting my oooool’ MBP renovation plans on hold ad eternum :3

Saw a good deal about a BNIB 128 wifi with smart keyboard and apple pencil for 1050, got tempted, but it’s gone now.

Wish it had the better camera, true tone and 3D touch.

Vyer

Weight and (supposedly) glare will give the advantage to the 9.7

The actual experience of seeing comic pages on screen will give a big advantage to the 12.9.

i will say the bigger Pro is well balanced so the weight isn't as bad as you might think.

Servbot24

Banned

smaller one is lighter of course, but weight is still not an issue on the 12.9. I would't worry about it. Not sure about the glare. Glare on 12.9 has never bothered me, but I always use it in my room or at work, so I haven't tried a lot of environments.

Blackhead

Redarse

Pro 9.7" (or even Air 2 as they weigh the same). Glare is a problem on all of them. The 12.9" is way too unwieldy to use on trips

Quick

Banned
I'm still trying to decide on whether or not the Pro 9.7" is worth the money over the Air 2.

The Air 2 is still a pretty good device, I'm assuming. I figure if my Mini 2 is still running fine, the Air 2 would be even better.

Top Bottom