• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/25/smaller-ipad-pro-march/

I'm in for the Pro right now. It arrives Saturday. Got the 850 buck 128gb model from Ebay. 100 bucks off and 70 bucks of sales tax saved, so it's about the same as getting the 9.7 inch model in March, but with a bigger screen.

I think I'm going to dig the bigger size. Played around with one in Best Buy today and it's not 'really' that big.

It's the perfect size, honestly. Had an Air 2 for a few months, this thing is just better in every single way. Portability doesn't even take a big hit

Luckily Procreate is the best drawing app I've ever used or I'd be mad that it and Apple Notes are the only apps that optimize the Pencil for near-zero latency. Sketchbook and Adobe Sketch had me regretting my purchase at first.

And after I've started reading comics on this thing (so beautiful) I know I made the right choice getting this over a Surface Pro 4. The lack of a Comixology app on that is a complete dealbreaker for me.

But why the hell does my ipad keep reinstalling Apple's shitty productivity apps after I delete them? I don't want any of Apple's pieces of poo they call apps, I tried them and they sucked so I replaced them with Google equivalents and stuck all the apple apps into a folder named Crapola.

I want the bigger iPad for vacations and the road. The speaker system isn't going to 'boom' but it does what I need it to do. Just give me a volume that works for a hotel room so I can listen to music. Not getting the pencil as I don't have an artistic bone in my body. Wouldn't use it for note taking either. For 128 gb and considering no tax, this is a steal over picking the 9.7 inch model. The only thing I can see coming to the smaller version of this in March is force touch. Meh. I'll take the bigger screen now.

Okay, this thing rocks. Got the keyboard cover. It's perfect for me. Works fine on the lap, I've seen reviews where it is said to be unsturdy. Not true. Also removes any unwieldy factor as the keyboard is holding the Pro. Now I need the clear shell I ordered from Amazon to show up as I think I want the keyboard at all times.

Layth

Just picked one up along with the Pencil, I've upgraded from the original iPad Air.

The Good
+ better screen
+ pencil is very responsive
+ expanded keyboard makes typing a lot better

The Bad
- unoptomized apps for the pro

Just picked one up along with the Pencil, I've upgraded from the original iPad Air.

The Good
+ better screen
+ pencil is very responsive
+ expanded keyboard makes typing a lot better

The Bad

Took the same path. I'm thinking of getting the pencil even though I stink. If I can't use it, my wife can.

At worst, I could use it to draw quick workflows but I can do that with a 15 buck stylus.

Majine

Banned
Hows the unoptimized app situation? I figured if a lot of apps are still a blurry mess, and developers seem not inclined to update their apps, that might be a problem too big for me to bother with the Pro.

Hows the unoptimized app situation? I figured if a lot of apps are still a blurry mess, and developers seem not inclined to update their apps, that might be a problem too big for me to bother with the Pro.

They don't look blurry in my experience; the resolution difference from 2048x1536 just isn't as huge as the first jump was. But you'll notice the UI is blown up and the keyboard is "big" compared to native Pro apps with a slim topbar and the new denser keyboard.

Depends what apps you want to run though. I think all of the ones I need are covered but that's particular to each person.

epmode

The Bad

Yeah. It's a lot better now than a month after launch but this is still a thing. It's also disappointing to see how many apps still don't support splitscreen or picture in picture.

Unlike iPhone apps on an iPad, I don't find unoptimized iPad apps blurry or annoying to use. As the other poster said, the issue is that they still use the old iPad keyboard and the clock/battery meter at the top of the screen is bigger than it should be.

Chunky Reader just got updated for the iPad Pro. I highly recommend it, it's a great comic reader.

http://chunkyreader.com

I just started using this yesterday. It's *amazing*. Easily my favorite on the market. Supports slitscreen too!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Review of the year: in the short list.
jQRPUB7.jpg

Full review here:
http://www.imore.com/review-apple-pencil-drawn-review-apple-pencil

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can you shrink the keyboard in landscape mode? I'm practicing by using my surface pro 4 and the keyboard just feels too big - you can't touch type because you have to weirdly hover over the keyboard. I suppose I'm just used to a 9.7" ipad air in portrait sized touch keyboard

Just ordered an Silver iPad Pro and Pencil. Really looking forward to getting stuck into some design work. For those of you who do web design, is there any must have apps for this?

can you shrink the keyboard in landscape mode? I'm practicing by using my surface pro 4 and the keyboard just feels too big - you can't touch type because you have to weirdly hover over the keyboard. I suppose I'm just used to a 9.7" ipad air in portrait sized touch keyboard

You can hide the suggestions part (just as you can on the iPhone) but that's it, no split keyboard. However if you use a smart keyboard (or bluetooth, maybe?) then the whole onscreen keyboard disappears but in some cases the suggestions bar can remain (optional)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The pencil is amazing. I was a bit frustrated by how much pressure was needed by the surface pro 4 pen, but the pencil can register a press just under its own weight. Plus it feels kinda nice on the screen - and no give (surface pen has a little bit of give on the tip)

I'm now hating the surface keyboard as it has no auto correct. Not a fan of the apple smart keyboard though. So surface has a much better physical keyboard but an almost unusable touch one.

WillyFive

The pencil is amazing. I was a bit frustrated by how much pressure was needed by the surface pro 4 pen, but the pencil can register a press just under its own weight. Plus it feels kinda nice on the screen - and no give (surface pen has a little bit of give on the tip)

I'm now hating the surface keyboard as it has no auto correct. Not a fan of the apple smart keyboard though. So surface has a much better physical keyboard but an almost unusable touch one.

Yeah, the Surface touchscreen keyboard is terrible and pretend that it exists in a world where iOS and Android keyboards don't exist.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Best Buy has $100 sale on Pros.

Damn it, I have to fight the urge...

$100 off pro....$100 on new iPad airpro..

If they had discounts like that in the uk I think I'd grab the large pro - the surface has convinced me that a large screen is usable on my lap - and even PiP is the size of landscape iPhone 6+ which is really nice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope someone brings out an adjustable stand that attaches to the smart connector. I'm enjoying my surface pro for watching video and the adjustable stand is a lot better than the fixed iPad Smart Cover which often used to fall over if you don't put it on a solid surface

Vyer

Welcome to the club. It's a glorious machine

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to keep it. Got a really good deal overall, in part because I sold my broken air 2 for 240 bucks.

It's a beast of a tablet, the display is glorious. I'm just not sure if I'm ok with the size overall. Still a little awkward to kick back with and watch or browse.

May wait and see what the smaller Pro looks like this week. Can't decide yet.

I think I'm going to get a 10" Pro, I have a question about the keyboard cover though. I realize it may not be exactly the same as the current Pro, but hopefully they're close enough.

I use my iPad for reading like 80% of the time. I read my news on it, I have a few magazine subscriptions, I read the occasional comic book. However when I get the Pro it would be nice to have a keyboard always attached to it just in case I want to quickly answer some emails or whatever more comfortably than I can on my phone.

What I'm wondering is how annoying the keyboard is when you're not using it. When I'm reading in bed or reading the newspaper on the bus or whatever am I going to wish it was in a keyboard-less case? Or is it thin and light enough that it stays out of the way? Not sure if I'd be happier with the keyboard case or with a traditional smart case and a separate Bluetooth keyboard for when I want it.

Any thoughts?

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to keep it. Got a really good deal overall, in part because I sold my broken air 2 for 240 bucks.

It's a beast of a tablet, the display is glorious. I'm just not sure if I'm ok with the size overall. Still a little awkward to kick back with and watch or browse.

May wait and see what the smaller Pro looks like this week. Can't decide yet.
It's funny, everyone who first sees the pro says it looks huge but once you use it for a bit it's very comfortable.

What I'm wondering is how annoying the keyboard is when you're not using it. When I'm reading in bed or reading the newspaper on the bus or whatever am I going to wish it was in a keyboard-less case? Or is it thin and light enough that it stays out of the way? Not sure if I'd be happier with the keyboard case or with a traditional smart case and a separate Bluetooth keyboard for when I want it.

Any thoughts?

I own the keyboard cover for the 12", and the execution of it is really smart. It's not wireless, but there's nothing to charge and it works great as a traditional cover for transport. It feels basically like the new macbook keyboard. Using it kills the onscreen keyboard but leaves spelling suggestions intact, if you so desire.

Downside is it weighs a lot. Turns your iPad from something that weighs about as much as an iPad 2 into more of a Macbook Air. I always tear off the cover at home and at work, unless there is something I need it for (walking outside, or writing emails)

A case seems pointless to me. It's too big and stable as it is. A silicone case makes sense for the 9.7" since you could just use that as an iPad Air 3 at home with the kids or whatever, but for "pro" uses it seems unnecessary. (The cover, of course, is very useful for travel)

My order of importance for IPP 12" accessories:
1. Pencil
2. Pencil
3. Applecare
4. Applecare
5. Smart Cover

Pencil is that good, and well, if you're carrying a 12" slab with a huge repair cost, Applecare seems pretty damn important to me too. But the cover is still good - strong magnet grip, clever folding design. But until Xcode appears on iOS it's just not that useful to me.

I think I'm going to get a 10" Pro, I have a question about the keyboard cover though. I realize it may not be exactly the same as the current Pro, but hopefully they're close enough.

I use my iPad for reading like 80% of the time. I read my news on it, I have a few magazine subscriptions, I read the occasional comic book. However when I get the Pro it would be nice to have a keyboard always attached to it just in case I want to quickly answer some emails or whatever more comfortably than I can on my phone.

Any thoughts?

It's tough. I have the iPad Pro. I had the keyboard case and returned it, because I have an extra Apple Bluetooth Keyboard which has shortcut keys and they are very helpful when playing/pausing music, volume controls etc. But I digress, I think the keyboard cover was very convenient to have a keyboard right there any time, but it added weight to the device, and it was very uncomfortable to use the iPad with the keyboard flipped over to the back of the iPad, in those cases I just wanted to take it off.

The size of the device makes it uncomfortable for use when you are kicking back on the couch or in bed. It's much more comfortable (and I think, designed) to be used on a desk with a keyboard while sitting/standing.

While I really like the screen size when it comes to watching YouTube (updated recently) and Netflix, holding the device while laying down or trying to use it one-handed isn't the most comfortable way to use it. I think, after seeing the 10" Pro, that if you are usually using the iPad at home and not at a work setting or a desk, the smaller pro version may be more to your liking. Will see what the reviews say, may end up switching to the smaller version.

SPOILER ALERT - once you use the 12" display which is amazing, it's very hard to downgrade.

You guys, I already said in my post I'm getting the 10" Pro.

That's a bummer the keyboard seems annoying, especially since I likely won't use it more than a few times a week. I think it's supposed to be the same size as the Air 2, maybe I'll just stick it in a Smart Case. Then I can get a keyboard and maybe a stand to put in my bag.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully they have demo units of the keyboard but they don't for the current Pro at my Best Buy and the nearest Apple store is kind of far away.

wildbite

I picked up a 12.9 model this morning. This thing is beautiful :)

My last iPad has been shelved for years and after updating it, it became super sluggish. I believe it was an iPad 2 or 3.

I downloaded Procreate to sketch in. I had to turn up the opacity on the pencil because I'd draw and see nothing. Pressing so hard to see a mark was making me cringe.

I couldn't resist the 100 dollars off at Best Buy, I've never had an iPad so I'm pretty pumped (the 12" model). Going to use it totally for media consumption/browsing/gaffing! Should arrive Tuesday :)

Chao

I picked up a 12.9 model this morning. This thing is beautiful :)

My last iPad has been shelved for years and after updating it, it became super sluggish. I believe it was an iPad 2 or 3.

I downloaded Procreate to sketch in. I had to turn up the opacity on the pencil because I'd draw and see nothing. Pressing so hard to see a mark was making me cringe.

You can change the pressure curve in the app settings so you won't need to press too hard

Heavier, a little more awkward to one hand and lounge around.

That said, I have the big Pro right now and ma having a hard time deciding myself.

Same. I wonder if there will be anything on the 12 inch pro that will really take advantage of it. I do like the Smart Keyboard. I can type just fine on it and having a smaller keyboard with a 9 inch would be less productive. When I take all cases, front and back, off, the device feels alien sleek and light to me still.

But I'll always be looking at the smaller model.

I find the silicon case mostly perfect asides from it not propping it up reliably, having the smooth felt surface down and its annoying to getting my pro into my bag. The Apple employee suggested an alternative that doesnt cost too much more, which is to get apple care, never use a case and if it breaks or when you want a new one just destroy it And pay the surcharge for accidental damage. Not bad, reallly.

My Silicon case has already cracked at the edge though. Annoying.

Quick question, is there a way to easily access notes I've taken on the Pro on a Windows PC? Shopping for a laptop and this may sway from Windows if that's not possible.

I assume that there's apps that will let you take notes on the Pro with the pencil and sync them to the cloud to view on other Apple devices.

Quick question, is there a way to easily access notes I've taken on the Pro on a Windows PC? Shopping for a laptop and this may sway from Windows if that's not possible.

I assume that there's apps that will let you take notes on the Pro with the pencil and sync them to the cloud to view on other Apple devices.

Can't you just use Microsoft OneNote? It's free and includes Pencil support. Alternatively all your notes are on icloud.com

Wow, I've never used iCloud.com.

I knew OneNote was an option but I didn't like it when I used it on a Surface, maybe the iPad version is better. Looks like Evernote is an option across platforms as well.

Bumhead

Banned
Wonder what my chances of strolling into an Apple Store on Thursday and just picking one up will be like.

Undecided on the 9.7 or 12 for now, so I'd like to have a play around with both. I think I'm edging towards the 9.7 though, but haven't pre-ordered. Ive only been Day One on an Apple product once before and that was the original iPad, which involved pre-ordering and lots of queuing, but this feels like a much "softer" launch than that. Then again, it is Apple. Do new Apple product refreshes still carry that same launch day crazy?

Wonder what my chances of strolling into an Apple Store on Thursday and just picking one up will be like.

Undecided on the 9.7 or 12 for now, so I'd like to have a play around with both. I think I'm edging towards the 9.7 though, but haven't pre-ordered. Ive only been Day One on an Apple product once before and that was the original iPad, which involved pre-ordering and lots of queuing, but this feels like a much "softer" launch than that. Then again, it is Apple. Do new Apple product refreshes still carry that same launch day crazy?

Depends on the hype behind the product and stock available.

iPhone: Massive lines starting early, as Apple stock is always limited, they don't do preorders, and there are tons of upgrade customers,.

iPad: For the Air (1) the lineup started maybe 2 hours early and was leisurely; everybody in line got something and it took maybe a half hour from end of line to leaving the store with the purchase. They had plenty of stock and obviously most purchases weren't requiring cell company activations.

New MacBook: Mystery launch, "not sure when we'll get it", came in a week later.

iPad Pro: They received a handful day one, but no lineup. The extreme cost of the system + no Pencils in stock for weeks can do that.

Vyer

After having the 12 since launch the 9.7 models feel like a mini

Man...you aren't kidding about this. As I keep trying to make a decision I was in Best Buy yesterday and looked at the Air and was shocked at how freaking small it felt. I used that tablet for like 2 years and never once felt like it was small until now. The mini practically felt like a phone lol.

Still have no idea what I'm going to do, but I have to make a decision by Saturday.

Man...you aren't kidding about this. As I keep trying to make a decision I was in Best Buy yesterday and looked at the Air and was shocked at how freaking small it felt. I used that tablet for like 2 years and never once felt like it was small until now. The mini practically felt like a phone lol.

Still have no idea what I'm going to do, but I have to make a decision by Saturday.

I wasn't kidding at all, no. Same thing happened to me with the phones, I got a Plus and anything smaller feels like a toy

If you can survive with the bigger screen size, do it. You'll feel like you're losing so much screen real estate otherwise

Unless the extra weight seems like a really large burden to you I'd recommend the larger pro 100% of the time. I don't think I can ever go back to a smaller iPad, especially now that they have multi-tasking and PIP.

Unless the extra weight seems like a really large burden to you I'd recommend the larger pro 100% of the time. I don't think I can ever go back to a smaller iPad, especially now that they have multi-tasking and PIP.

It's not like it's "heavy" either. Sure, it's 50% heavier than the Air 2. That means its about the same weight as the original 9.7" iPad, only spread over a much larger volume. And sideways view is awesome, both for multitasking and comics/manga (2 page spread mode is awesome)

I'm also in the boat where it seemed comically large the first time I saw it, but now it's the "regular" iPad size...

Top Bottom