• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

vgJames

Banned
Sad to see my Apple online store order sat at processing awaiting a dispatch in 'October' I was only a couple of hours late to order as well.

Tempted to cancel and just keep trying the stores or get a different phone.

Husker86

So I talked to AT&T support, and they told me as of June 9, 2013 that the policy on iPhone upgrades is that every 12 months you are eligible to upgrade early should you choose to.

Hmm. So I signed up for AT&T on June 11th. Maybe now that I've used the early upgrade for an iPhone it will be every 12 months for me from now on. I'll just check out of curiosity every month from now on.

Hmm. So I signed up for AT&T on June 11th. Maybe now that I've used the early upgrade for an iPhone it will be every 12 months for me from now on. I'll just check out of curiosity every month from now on.

I really want to buy a 5S, because I heard nothing but good things about it, but I'm afraid that AT&T for some reason might not let me have another early upgrade next year around this time.

TwIsTeD

iPhone crew GAF need advice.

wife thinks I should ebay my 64gb gold and keep silver.....i really think those prices are artificial... should I just make $600 and shut up

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

wife thinks I should ebay my 64gb gold and keep silver.....i really think those prices are artificial... should I just make $600 and shut up

Shutup and take somebody else's money!

mrkgoo

It brings me unbridled joy with every moment I use it. It's ridiculous how zippy and gorgeous this fucking thing is.

What a jump up from a 4...

Can you imagine - the iPhone 5S isn't far off from an iPhone 5....and I went to an iPHone 5 from a 3G.

Not even a 3GS, whihc has iOS5, and imessages.

a 3G. With a limited version of iOS4. Not even any multitasking bar!

potam

Banned

With all the horror stories I hear about ebay, I'm not sure. Then again...the prices that those phones are selling for on ebay are hard to say no to.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Going to test battery life in a more real world scenario today. Yesterday I was just at home and barely used it and it went down about 30% which seems like a lot. Will be outside today using maps kind of often so time to test ~

Husker86

I really want to buy a 5S, because I heard nothing but good things about it, but I'm afraid that AT&T for some reason might not let me have another early upgrade next year around this time.

In the past, everyone was always eligible for an iPhone early upgrade (I guess you'd probably have to wait at least one month before your last one, but it was basically always available). I used to work in Best Buy Mobile a few years ago and the AT&T reps were very "proud" of this.

If they did change it, like the response you got from them suggests, I have a very hard time believing it would be a big enough change to prevent you from doing it yearly.

My case alone shows that they are not doing the 12-month thing that someone told you.

Do it while you can. I do this every year when the iPhone launches and easily make 15-20k just buying and selling iPhones.

In the past, everyone was always eligible for an iPhone early upgrade (I guess you'd probably have to wait at least one month before your last one, but it was basically always available). I used to work in Best Buy Mobile a few years ago and the AT&T reps were very "proud" of this.

If they did change it, like the response you got from them suggests, I have a very hard time believing it would be a big enough change to prevent you from doing it yearly.

My case alone shows that they are not doing the 12-month thing that someone told you.

I know my early upgrade that I have now came up earlier than a year since it was it was available right when the 5S/C were announced, I'm just not sure how much earlier it was because I had no reason to be checking throughout the previous year.

rbanke

What's the word on trade in? I have a 16gb 4s and I'm just going to use one of the trade in programs because when I sold my 3gs the paypal/ebay fees were ridiculous, add the potential problems with buyers, and craigslist crazies..I just don't want the hassle. Covering the cost of the 5s will be good enough for me.

AT&T said they would give me $200 for it, but would have to wait 3-4 weeks for a 5s. If I order one now, I have to pay for it and then do the trade in later and that money will come as a gift card and I'm getting mixed messages whether or not that gift card can be applied to my monthly bill or just for in store purchases. The other route would be go to the apple store (an hour away), but who knows when they'll be in stock. Any other options than just wait the apple store to stock them?

Ugh. Had to spend 45 minutes on the phone with Verizon because my order was messed up somehow. Luckily, it seems sorted out and my phone is set to arrive Wednesday. I'm annoyed, my friend ordered his phone from T-Mo at 10AM Friday and he already has his! It's ok though, he's upgrading from Windows Phone 7 so he needs a new phone more than I do.

My 5S Apple case came today. It seems fairly standard but I know the black case / silver iPhone combo will look sick.

NIGHT-

Went with the SPIGEN tough armor case. It seems pretty thin and still can take some damage. iPhone gets here wed night!

Iacobellis

Can you imagine - the iPhone 5S isn't far off from an iPhone 5....and I went to an iPHone 5 from a 3G.

Not even a 3GS, whihc has iOS5, and imessages.

a 3G. With a limited version of iOS4. Not even any multitasking bar!

I feel you. The iPhone 3G became unusable with iOS 4. Everything became sluggish and games suffered from it, too.

Quick

Banned
I went to the Apple store downtown in downtown Toronto today to see if they had any 5S' left. They're sold out and they didn't give me a day they would get a restock. They didn't know if my online order would get bumped up like the US ones did. I'm sure the genius staff doesn't get any info like that until the last second. They did have "plenty" of 5C's left however. And I did get to try out a 5S and it's much faster than my 4. I'm excited.

I went to Rogers at one mall and they had some iPhone 5Ses in stock, but their system was down, so they couldn't check to see if they had any spare phones to sell that weren't on reserve.

I drove to another mall, and found that T-Booth and Wireless Wave had a few in stock. I'd pull the trigger with them, but I'd rather wait and pay a cheaper price with Rogers' Trade-Up promo than trade it in with either one and settle for in-store credit.

You must buy a lot of unlocked phones. Do you pay homeless people to stand in line for you?

Nope, I'm not in the US currently and there are no official Apple stores here so everything is done online. I just buy as much as I can across a few different credit cards and family/friend's credit cards.

The price for the gold one this year is through the roof though. Usually I can make 200-ish per phone, but the gold one right now is fetching 700-800 over retail. I don't think this will last forever though which is why i said to sell while you still can.

Pachinko

OOOOohhhhh ccccaaaaNAAAdaaaa.

So I was curious when I was next eligible for an upgrade because for some reason I thought I could switch things up after only 2 years but NOOOoooooope , I have to stay on my current plan for a ridiculous 34 months out of 36 to upgrade for "free".

Bell Canada charges 20 bucks a month for a cancellation fee and then another 30 bucks to switch to a new phone regardless. 290$ total + the cost of the phone which is 200$ for 16 GB and closer to 300$ for a 32 GB.

I suppose you can still sell a bell 4s second hand to anyone that uses bell to begin with and recoup some of that cost but wowee 600$ to upgrade , if I wait a year it'll be only around 300$.

Shit sucks lol. :p

So I was curious when I was next eligible for an upgrade because for some reason I thought I could switch things up after only 2 years but NOOOoooooope , I have to stay on my current plan for a ridiculous 34 months out of 36 to upgrade for "free".

Bell Canada charges 20 bucks a month for a cancellation fee and then another 30 bucks to switch to a new phone regardless. 290$ total + the cost of the phone which is 200$ for 16 GB and closer to 300$ for a 32 GB.

I suppose you can still sell a bell 4s second hand to anyone that uses bell to begin with and recoup some of that cost but wowee 600$ to upgrade , if I wait a year it'll be only around 300$.

I thought that laws in Canada let you cancel without fees after 24 months now, even if the phone company says different?

Blackhead

Redarse

Stop buying phones on contract? Although the iPhone off-contract price in Canada is going through the roof so you're screwed either way lol. How many months do you have left? It might be cheaper to breaker your contract and jump on the Telus special 'upgrade iPhone every year' offer
I thought that laws in Canada let you cancel without fees after 24 months now, even if the phone company says different?

It doesn't retroactively apply for existing contracts. The new cancellation rules actually go into effect in December although the Canadian carriers are already offering new 2year plans (but canadians still need to pay attention because if they extend their current contract now for an iPhone upgrade, it'll still be under the shitty 3 yr system *smh*)

crustikid

So I talked to AT&T support, and they told me as of June 9, 2013 that the policy on iPhone upgrades is that every 12 months you are eligible to upgrade early should you choose to.

Is this officially written anywhere online and differentiated from the ATT NEXT program? I've been trying to confirm this as someone told me about it while I waited in line--thought it was hearsay.

Quick

Banned
Just got the email from Rogers saying my iPhone shipped.

Should be in my hands in the next few days, I reckon.

tumblr_m05woryvER1r5hsoxo1_400.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I take it you got out of not-your-office-but-underneath-it-(what were you doing in an empty room anyway)-situation?

that would be a legit reason to worry
Haha, yeah - that was crazy but I got out in a not-so-dramatic way (I was originally planning on climbing the windows or kick the wall in :lol But the lock just gave in after four hours of rotating the key)!

edit: btw, the iPhone saved me while I was locked in! It kept entertaining me as I was bored as fuck in the room :p

edit 2: haha, don't ask what I was doing in an empty room! I'm just the curious type of person :3

Just got mine..pretty cool stepup from my 4S

Am I missing something here? wtf is up with sharing slo-mo videos? texting or sharing on social networks seems to send the 120fps video with no slomo

Edit: nvm has to be done through the share sheet -_-

tsumineko

Those upgrading from iPhone 4's, is your 5S screen a LOT brighter than your 4's screen? Mine is, I'm honestly surprised by this. I like it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Those upgrading from iPhone 4's, is your 5S screen a LOT brighter than your 4's screen? Mine is, I'm honestly surprised by this. I like it.
I'll be able to tell you
when idiot-company Apple decides to release it in Sweden...

:(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Figured out how to instagram slo mo videos but involves uploading them elsewhere, saving, resending to phone, uploading. Zzz. It'll support it soon enough though I guess.

Mr.Ock

I'll be able to tell you
when idiot-company Apple decides to release it in Sweden...

:(

Same exact situation here, but I live in Italy, which should be a "Tier 2" country, as is Sweden, I guess. Last year iPhone 5 was released just 10 days after the US launch, but I reckon this year it won't be possible...

Robin64

Upgrading from my 4S to a 5S. I always skip a generation when it comes to these things. Three are letting me upgrade on my same contract for just £99, which I think is a damn good deal. Delivery is October 9th, though. Ouch.

It's that 120fps slow motion video camera I am most looking forward to, though. Going to have a lot of fun with that.

Yoshichan

Same exact situation here, but I live in Italy, which should be a "Tier 2" country, as is Sweden, I guess. Last year iPhone 5 was released just 10 days after the US launch, but I reckon this year it won't be possible...
I don't get it though, in Sweden, like every person and their mothers have an iPhone. The iPhone market is insane, yet Apple doesn't seem to acknowledge that...

Oppo

Rogers reservation peeps –

Got my confirmation text/email last night, so looks like things are moving. UPS says I'll have it by sundown, by the gods.

Now I need to hack the carrier name back into a PacMan like I did on the 4s. Even more appropriate with the dots.

Cheech

My battery over the last 2 days won't charge to 100%. I wake up and unplug and it's at 98% everytime. Anyway to fix this?

It might just be coincidence. After sitting on a charger for so long, the phone lets the battery discharge to 95%, then charges it back up.

I'm not entirely clear as to why it does this, but every iPhone I've ever had has done this.

Top Bottom