• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Espresso

Banned
My battery over the last 2 days won't charge to 100%. I wake up and unplug and it's at 98% everytime. Anyway to fix this?

"As far as I understand the iPhone will charge to 100% then repeatedly undergo small charge/ discharge cycles. That is, once fully charged, the phone will be allowed to discharge (just normal battery use while the phone is asleep) to around 95% then charged to 100%, repeating as needed. So your phone is not actually charging the whole time while it is plugged in. Many small charges are better for the battery in the long run. Also the cycling allows time for the battery to cool off between charges which is also good long term care.

Basically, leaving it on the charger overnight is fine.

As a side note, I remember this feature causing an issue a few years back with people complaining that their phone wouldn't be at 100% when they unplugged it, or alternatively they would look at it a few minutes after unplugging and see that it had dropped to 95% thinking it used 5% in a few minutes. In actuality, they chanced to unplug at the minimum of the charge/discharge cycle I mentioned above."​

Drain to 0% and then charge all the way up.

"I often see many misconceptions about iPhone batteries, and Li-ion batteries in general, so I thought I'd write a mini-guide to address this issue.

iPhones have Lithium ion batteries. All Li-ion batteries have a limited life span, ie a finite number of charge cycles that they can undergo before becoming useless. The number of cycles you can achieve is determined in part by how you treat the battery.

The two biggest enemies of Li-ion batteries are heat and over-voltage charging. The latter is mainly taken care of by charger design (ie trickle charging and cutoffs).

Heat is a bigger problem. Batteries get hot when they are charging. Heat is also related to the other big reducer of Li-ion battery lifespan: Deep charge cycles.

Li-ion batteries function optimally and have the longest lifespan when discharged to around 60-80% then charged to full. Full (or deep) discharges* reduce the lifespan of the battery. Full discharges are bad due to intrinsic chemistry (small permanent changes inside the battery reduce its life) and also recharging from a low charge will inevitably heat (causing more permanent chemical changes) the battery more than shorter, more frequent charges.

Often people recommend infrequently fully discharging Li-ion batteries and sometimes even report better life after such treatment. This treatment of batteries is a legacy of times when Ni-Cad batteries were the predominant type and the subsequent conflation with Li-ion technology.

The apparent 'improvement' results only from the recalibration of the electronic gauge used to display the remaining battery percentage. Directly gauging a battery's current level of charge is not actually possible. The percentage shown is an average 'expected' value based on previous uses of the battery after being monitored by software for a period of time. If the calibrated values become inaccurate the battery gauge will also be inaccurate. A full discharge will recalibrate the software gauge, often resulting in more accurate battery-level readings. This in no way affects the battery at all. All that happens is the software is more accurate at reporting the estimate charge remaining. You will get no more performance from your batter by doing a full charge even if it appears to be so (actually, by doing a full discharge, you have reduced the lifespan of your battery by a tiny amount). Apple actually recommends infrequent full discharges. My guess is that they see this as a trade off; they know they are reducing the battery life by some tiny amount, but also receive far fewer customer support complaints due to poorly calibrated battery gauges being perceived as faulty devices.

* For the purposes of this guide a 'full discharge' is defined as reaching around 5-10%. For Li-ion batteries a 'full discharge' is not truly a complete discharge. Li-ion batteries have a cutoff within the battery to prevent complete discharge. If a Li-ion battery is completely discharged it can not be recharged. So when your device containing a Li-ion battery reports the battery is empty this is the cutoff coming into play and preventing permanent damage to the battery."

TL;DR
DO: Charge frequently. Small, frequent charges are best. Charge your battery first if you are going to leave it unplugged for an extended period. Charge your battery in a cool spot.
DO NOT: Let your battery get hot. Fully discharge your battery. Let your battery sit at low charge for extended periods. Believe the lie that full discharges improve battery lifespan.

http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/1n029f/getting_the_longest_life_out_of_your_iphone/

Talon

Oh, Jesus Christ. I've ranted about that shit longer than you've been posting here.

The reason you do a discharge isn't for the battery's capacitance. It's for the sake of your meter sensor.
A full discharge will recalibrate the software gauge, often resulting in more accurate battery-level readings. This in no way affects the battery at all. All that happens is the software is more accurate at reporting the estimate charge remaining. You will get no more performance from your batter by doing a full charge even if it appears to be so (actually, by doing a full discharge, you have reduced the lifespan of your battery by a tiny amount). Apple actually recommends infrequent full discharges. My guess is that they see this as a trade off; they know they are reducing the battery life by some tiny amount, but also receive far fewer customer support complaints due to poorly calibrated battery gauges being perceived as faulty devices.

Espresso

Banned
What I'm trying to say is that it's not a meter sensor issue, it just happened that when he removed his phone from its charger that it was in the middle of a mini cycle.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Pics/explain

It feels very sturdy as a case. Like, it has a nice stiffness to it. The micro fibre inside is a nice touch.

However, the 'leather' feels terrible. Kind of like the same material you get on a really cheap leather sofa. It feels like if you had a sheet of the 'leather' you could tear it like paper.

I stupidly thought it was gonna be real leather at the price. Oh, well. :(

Espresso

Banned
Every iPhone I've owned, along with my iPads has done the same thing. I wouldn't let it bother you.

However, if you still feel like something's wrong with your battery, you can stop by any Apple Store and their employees can perform a diagnostic test on your battery.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Are the batteries positively or negatively affected if you're charging it fairly often and only letting it get to maybe 70% or so? For example, if it's plugged it all the time while you're home, on the go you have it connected to a small portable battery, and when at work or wherever it's also being charged?

Talon

It feels very sturdy as a case. Like, it has a nice stiffness to it. The micro fibre inside is a nice touch.

However, the 'leather' feels terrible. Kind of like the same material you get on a really cheap leather sofa. It feels like if you had a sheet of the 'leather' you could tear it like paper.

It's this stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniline_leather
Are the batteries positively or negatively affected if you're charging it fairly often and only letting it get to maybe 70% or so? For example, if it's plugged it all the time while you're home, on the go you have it connected to a small portable battery, and when at work or wherever it's also being charged?
Don't be too worried about keeping it constantly topped off. It's a cell phone - you're replacing it every 2-3 years at the longest. If you're constantly worried about keeping the battery life up, you're not going to be able to use it normally.

Espresso

Banned

"I would say, mostly for quality of life purposes, just leave it connected all the time. It's not worth your time and effort tracking the charge level. The effect would be minimal between the normal 'always plugged in' charging pattern and manually micromanaging it to 80% and charging. As far as I understand the iPhone charger is better than most chargers which 'trickle charge', that is try to keep the battery at 100% by supplying constant low charging current. The iPhone charge system basically does what you asked about, it just lets the charge drop to 95% rather than 80%. That way you are almost fully charged all the time yet aren't charging constantly."​

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Don't be too worried about keeping it constantly topped off. It's a cell phone - you're replacing it every 2-3 years at the longest. If you're constantly worried about keeping the battery life up, you're not going to be able to use it normally.

Yeah, it's not so much a worry, and that scenario isn't my current one, just wondering if it would be more negative than beneficial.

Deku Tree

I use and iPhone 4S and an iPad 2 a lot virtually every day. I bought both of them on day 1.

I have OCD regarding battery management, although I have not engaged in exactly the practices described in the earlier posts on this page.

In particular I will regularly run my device until it turns off by itself due to low battery. And this hasn't hurt my battery one bit.

I feel like my battery works just about as well as it did when I first bought both devices. I just got two days of standby and 11 hours of usage time out of my iPad 2. Similar story for my 4S.

Is this officially written anywhere online and differentiated from the ATT NEXT program? I've been trying to confirm this as someone told me about it while I waited in line--thought it was hearsay.

I haven't seen it written online, in fact the only thing I saw in writing on AT&T's webpage was that early upgrades come up after 6 months of signing a new contract. The information I've gotten about them being yearly instead was from an online customer service rep. I'm still not sure if I am going to jump on a 5S, but I took a picture of the chat window so in case AT&T wouldn't allow me to upgrade again next year for some reason, that I have evidence that I was told I could upgrade again after 12 months. I've also read plenty of stories of people being able to get their upgrade dates changed by talking to customer support, specifically customer retention if you have been a customer of their's for years.

Oppo

UPS says iphone is delivered (Rogers reservation).

It's sitting on a countertop 5 minutes bike ride from me. arrived 11:08 am.

How long do I give them to call me before I make a nuisance of myself :)

Quick

Banned

Mine says it should be at the Rogers store at the end of the day today. Realistically, it'll probably be there and ready by tomorrow.

potam

Banned

So it's sitting at the Rogers store? I'd at least call them up saying you know it was just delivered, and ask if you could pick it up now.

i've had my 5 for about 10 months now and I throw it on charge randomly every day or two usually when it's in the 60% or below region. I also give it quick 10-20 minute charges before work and if I want to top the battery off before going out for the day, still no problems.

bionic77

Don't worry about it. No matter what you do your battery is going to start dying after 18 or so months.

After that they will slowly hold less and less charge until they become useless. That's true of even lithium battery and that is the best tech we have .

J-Rod

Less than a month until my sprint contract is up so I can switch to a competent carrier. It's going to be a long 30 days.

Why is the fingerprint sensor limited to 5 fingers. I've set three of them to drastically different parts of my right thumb and two to the left. Yet still there are weird angles my right one is not registered by on the first try. :/

Haribo

Banned
Man I'm sick of waiting for this, you'd think ordering directly from Apple within the first minute or so of the iPhone being available on their site would get you one in a timely manner. It's worked perfectly for the last five years, this has really taken the shine off the 5s for me.

Cathcart

Did they remove the ability to check in store availability from the Apple site? Yesterday I was able to check it with a link that showed up under "Available for pickup" in the sidebar. Now it's gone. I'm also not able to check with the store app anymore.

Red Comet

This is my first Apple device with retina display and after using this for several days now it has made me realize how unimpressive the display is on my iPad mini. That is a must have on the next iPad mini model.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Same exact situation here, but I live in Italy, which should be a "Tier 2" country, as is Sweden, I guess. Last year iPhone 5 was released just 10 days after the US launch, but I reckon this year it won't be possible...

I don't get it though, in Sweden, like every person and their mothers have an iPhone. The iPhone market is insane, yet Apple doesn't seem to acknowledge that...

Apple stated during the conference its coming out sometime in December for the "wave 2" countries.

sirap

Don't worry about it. No matter what you do your battery is going to start dying after 18 or so months.

After that they will slowly hold less and less charge until they become useless. That's true of even lithium battery and that is the best tech we have .

Damn, that explains why my 4s's battery has turned to shit.

Quick

Banned
My iPhone's been delivered, but nobody's picking up the phone at the Rogers store.

I'm assuming they're probably busy as hell now. :lol

Mr.Ock

Apple stated during the conference its coming out sometime in December for the "wave 2" countries.

I thought as much at first, but then I noticed Cook said "by December it will have launched in 100 countries", so maybe there will be "waves" still. This said, with the supply problems the US is apparently having, I don't really see it launching here anytime soon :(

I bought the space gray with the red leather case on day 1.

The phone I have no problem with; however, the case just gives off a cheap feeling. I was expecting some quality leather, albeit a bit stiff to protect my phone. I'm going to return the case and pick up another SPIGPEN.

Ovid

This is my first Apple device with retina display and after using this for several days now it has made me realize how unimpressive the display is on my iPad mini. That is a must have on the next iPad mini model.
It's heavily rumored to be in the version.

Oppo

So it's sitting at the Rogers store? I'd at least call them up saying you know it was just delivered, and ask if you could pick it up now.

So I tried that... no answer.. so I went down there.

There was one girl at the counter, someone else in the back, and she said "yes we have the phone but we haven't processed them yet"... I asked if they really were going to send me away when it was just sitting in a box (I was polite, but wtf) and she says yes, we have to activate them, etc.

So I get home. 10 minutes later, call: "your iphone is here"

Anyways. Got my 64GB gray model now and it's fucking nice.

btrboyev

Man I'm sick of waiting for this, you'd think ordering directly from Apple within the first minute or so of the iPhone being available on their site would get you one in a timely manner. It's worked perfectly for the last five years, this has really taken the shine off the 5s for me.

I'm sorry, but you're being kinda a baby....first world problems.

Quick

Banned
So I tried that... no answer.. so I went down there.

There was one girl at the counter, someone else in the back, and she said "yes we have the phone but we haven't processed them yet"... I asked if they really were going to send me away when it was just sitting in a box (I was polite, but wtf) and she says yes, we have to activate them, etc.

So I get home. 10 minutes later, call: "your iphone is here"

Anyways. Got my 64GB gray model now and it's fucking nice.

I gave them a call again, and somebody picked up.

It's delivered, but it sounds like the store hasn't even started doing anything yet.

Cyklops

Neo Member
Don't do it. None of the US models work on LTE bands in the UK

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

You want an A1457. Not sold in the US

But all the bands that are required in UK (1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 20) are all active in the US models, except for band 7. Wouldn't that mean that the US phone will work in the UK under the other LTE bands?

This is mainly because it is wayyyy cheaper for me to buy the phone in US rather than buying it in the UK. Like really cheaper.

Top Bottom