• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

mackattk

I have an ATT iPhone 4S 32gb and I want to upgrade to the 5S. Can I sell my 4S to gamestop or somewhere to recover most of the cost after I get it?

Craigslist/Ebay... If you trade it in at a store, you will only get a fraction of the difference. You also get more in gamestop credit rather than straight cash, making that difference even larger.

You do make a little of it back with convenience and knowing that you won't get scammed out of your money and iPhone (it is something that is always in the back of my mind when I buy, sell, or trade with the public).

Mr. Hyde

There are a lot of places you can go to do that sort of thing. Best Buy bought my 4S back when I got a 5s from them. Electronics recycling companies like Gazelle.com are also widely used. AT&T has a trade-in program, by the way; maybe that's easier if you're staying with the carrier.

Yeah. I'm staying on contract and doing it more for convenience rather than the most money through eBay. AT&T shows $205.00. I wonder how much apples new in store trade in gives for it.

Lo-Volt

Yeah. I'm staying on contract and doing it more for convenience rather than the most money through eBay. AT&T shows $205.00. I wonder how much apples new in store trade in gives for it.

Apple's online reuse and recycling service quoted $220 for a black 4S 32GB from AT&T assuming good condition and that the charger and cable were present. Your mileage may vary, of course. I'm not sure how the retail store trade-in system works.

I ordered my 5S right away, got it in and confirmed about 5 minutes after the online store opened. I was originally quoted 1-3 business days to ship, with an estimated delivery date between Monday, Sept 30 and Wednesday, Oct 2.

I got my shipping notice yesterday, the 22nd. So it shipped 0 business days after purchase. The email quoted me a delivery date between Tuesday, Sept 24 and Thursday the 26th. UPS tracking says it is on track to be delivered tomorrow. I find that hard to believe as it just left Korea a few hours ago, but they delivered my 4S in about as much time so maybe it really will show up tomorrow.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the free "standard" shipping. I'd feel like a rube if I paid the $10 extra to get it shipped faster only to have it show up today instead of tomorrow.

The only snag I hit is AT&T's awful shipping policy. They won't let the phone be shipped anywhere other than my billing address. That's my house which is fine, but I was really hoping to have it shipped to my office so I could be sure I was available to sign for the delivery. As it stands, I'm going to have to risk pre-signing and having them leave it on the back deck tomorrow instead. The delivery quote from UPS is 2:15 - 6:15 PM. Hopefully it'll be in that last hour so I can be home to sign for it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Apple's online reuse and recycling service quoted $220 for a black 4S 32GB from AT&T assuming good condition and that the charger and cable were present. Your mileage may vary, of course. I'm not sure how the retail store trade-in system works.

Verizon is giving me $210 for my Apple 4S and it technically doesn't function (Button on top doesn't work).

Koodo

Banned
Oh @ at the dark metal ring around the fingerprint sensor already scuffing a bit on my Space Grey. The iPhone 5 teas.

Oppo

I keep reloading the Rogers reservation page. It's "in progress".

I'm not even that anxious to get it, but knowing its on its way... weirdly distracting, you know?

Quick

Banned

I'm not even that anxious to get it, but knowing its on its way... weirdly distracting, you know?

I've been doing that all weekend. I've done it a couple of times today already.

And I still haven't gotten any email updates on my reservation.

Chucker

Question for AT&T users with the grandfathered unlimited data plan: do you have to go through AT&T to upgrade? I forgot how I did this when I got the 4s, and I wanted to make sure I retained the plan

I bought my 5S through Best Buy and according to MyATT and the website all of my plans have stayed the same.
When I went from 3GS to 4S I did it through the Apple Store ap w/ preorder. Only thing that got bungled on that was my messaging plan, but it was fixed once I noticed it.

I've been checking the Apple Stores in the area online to see if they had gotten any stock of the 5S. 2 hours ago none of them had any, now they all have them available for in store pick up for anyone that is looking to pick one up.

SuperPac

Did anyone pick up one of Apple's leather cases for the phone? Any impressions? I went caseless on the 5 and am thinking I probably will on the 5s too, but I'm tempted to get a black leather case for my space gray phone.

TwIsTeD

Did anyone pick up one of Apple's leather cases for the phone? Any impressions? I went caseless on the 5 and am thinking I probably will on the 5s too, but I'm tempted to get a black leather case for my space gray phone.

got brown leather for my Slate 5 a few days ago...high quality & very comfortable but my daughter scratched it up a bit with her nails already.

Worth the $$$...black is probably the best way to go

LCfiner

I picked up a red. it’s decent and very thin - almost like the incase snap. leather feels nice. I’m just a sucker for red/black combos, I guess.

only issue… trying to take the phone out of the case. holy shit. it wraps all the way round with no open sides like most other cases so you need to poke out from the camera hole and then… i dunno. I was worried of scraping the front face of the case or the front chamfer around the phone to pick it out.

maybe there’s an easier way I’m not seeing

Brussels

Mine says that too. My brother got his at the Apple store in Edmonton yesterday, while I ordered online. I stopped in at my Rogers store that I ordered it at, and left with the impression that it's going to be a while still. Prior to it saying "in progress" I was #597 in the queue. There is no queue number anymore for me.
I asked if I could cancel my order through them, and just go to the Apple store, I was told yes, but I forfeit my $40 reservation fee.
I just don't want to be waiting for 3 weeks for this phone, when I know I can run to the Apple store for it.

n64coder

I've been checking the Apple Stores in the area online to see if they had gotten any stock of the 5S. 2 hours ago none of them had any, now they all have them available for in store pick up for anyone that is looking to pick one up.

I did something similar where I checked this morning and now I see that 64GB space grey unlocked phones are available at a few stores. No silver/gold. I didn't check to see ATT/Verizon availability for their phones.

ChanHuk

Banned
You know what I'm actually disappointed in, that the 5S doesn't use USB 3.0. Then again, I rarely ever plug in my phone to my computer nowadays. But restoring my phone took like an hour and a half. It was horrible.

ruxtpin

Banned
I picked up a red. it’s decent and very thin - almost like the incase snap. leather feels nice. I’m just a sucker for red/black combos, I guess.

only issue… trying to take the phone out of the case. holy shit. it wraps all the way round with no open sides like most other cases so you need to poke out from the camera hole and then… i dunno. I was worried of scraping the front face of the case or the front chamfer around the phone to pick it out.

maybe there’s an easier way I’m not seeing

If you can pop the bottom of the phone out with a little pressure on the backside, you can use something like a pen cap, slide it behind the phone using the power adapter hole and push the bottom of the phone out all the way.

If that makes sense...

Mine from apple shipped and the expected date is now Wednesday, I hope that is accurate. It still says it is in China. China to my doorstep in Florida in 2 days? I'll be impressed.

kms_md

The only snag I hit is AT&T's awful shipping policy. They won't let the phone be shipped anywhere other than my billing address. That's my house which is fine, but I was really hoping to have it shipped to my office so I could be sure I was available to sign for the delivery. As it stands, I'm going to have to risk pre-signing and having them leave it on the back deck tomorrow instead. The delivery quote from UPS is 2:15 - 6:15 PM. Hopefully it'll be in that last hour so I can be home to sign for it.

if you have myUPS you should be able to reroute it to any of your registered addresses. i ordered mine from apple and switched my billing address to my work address with ATT.

kaskade

Exactly the way I feel. I just don't like not knowing when it is going to come. I keep hearing mixed things about T-Mobiles estimates too.

Ugh I hate Sprint. I order Monday last week. They say they will call me when my phone becomes available. I have a friend order Friday last week, who somehow gets a call before me to go pick up the exact color, gb type that I ordered. I call them and ask them how this happened,

Sprint lady: "Oh we didn't get any in that color today, but let me check. Oh turns out you are the next person on the list that we will call when the next one comes in!"

Yea huh

Cyklops

Neo Member
Hey guys, just a few things to clarify. It's cheaper for me to import an 5s from US instead of buying it from the UK, but I want an unlocked (basically contract-free) phone. From which service provider should I buy it then? The Apple store website shows that T-Mobile has a contract-free one, is that my option?

Kater

Banned
Quick question, should I get a 5S over a 5? I'm mostly interested in an Iphone so that I can browse on NeoGAF/Twitter and to make videos of concerts.
Is the 5S' camera remarkably better than that of the 5? I thought about buying a 5 since it's cheaper but I hear so much praise for the new model so I thought I ask you people here.
(Thanks for reading!)

Ryaaan14

Banned
Fucking everybody at work today is showing off their gold 5S's. Literally all of them got the gold one. Crazy, didn't think the gold would be too popular. Maybe just that "new option" appeal.

Juice

Fucking everybody at work today is showing off their gold 5S's. Literally all of them got the gold one. Crazy, didn't think the gold would be too popular. Maybe just that "new option" appeal.

What region? Most apple stores even only got a handful

Juice

Hey guys, just a few things to clarify. It's cheaper for me to import an 5s from US instead of buying it from the UK, but I want an unlocked (basically contract-free) phone. From which service provider should I buy it then? The Apple store website shows that T-Mobile has a contract-free one, is that my option?

Don't do it. None of the US models work on LTE bands in the UK

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

You want an A1457. Not sold in the US

Juice

FWIW I don't like the gold in person. Up close it looks dull and far away it looks dirty/dingy.

Silver looks the smartest IMO.

Me? I settled for space gray as it was the only available

Ninja Dom

IT'S THERE!!

My 5S 64GB Space Grey arrived. Only ordered on Friday afternoon - UK.

Moving up from a Slate Black 5 64GB.

Syncing my apps over from my computer right now. Even though the 5 was no slouch at all the 5S is EVEN FASTER, really is.

And check this - 4G/LTE speed on Vodafone UK in my house!!

501ee1bf659a71bb0949e2e0317f7262_zps762f74a8.jpg

Syncing all of my apps, then photo albums and movies, then the 7.0.1 update.

Question for anyone that has upgraded with the early upgrade pricing with AT&T. I have always been on the 2 year upgrade path (3g, 4, 5), but I have the itch to upgrade to the 5S. I noticed that AT&T offers 'early upgrade pricing' where they will subsidize some of the cost of the phone, but you have to sign another 2 year contract. I don't have a problem doing that, but my question is does anyone know the exact length of time that it takes from start of contract to qualifying for the early upgrade pricing again? I ask because if I upgrade to a 5S, I think I'll probably put myself on the path to wanting to upgrade every year since I can cover a lot of the upgrade cost selling the previous years phone, but I just want to make sure that AT&T customers qualify for the early upgrade every year so I'm not paying the unsubsidized price next year for the iPhone 6.

Edit: So I did the sensible thing and checked out some FAQ's on AT&T's site. It seems to claim that after 6 months I would qualify again. Has anyone had a problem getting a discount after the 6 month period?

Juice

Question for anyone that has upgraded with the early upgrade pricing with AT&T. I have always been on the 2 year upgrade path (3g, 4, 5), but I have the itch to upgrade to the 5S. I noticed that AT&T offers 'early upgrade pricing' where they will subsidize some of the cost of the phone, but you have to sign another 2 year contract. I don't have a problem doing that, but my question is does anyone know the exact length of time that it takes from start of contract to qualifying for the early upgrade pricing again? I ask because if I upgrade to a 5S, I think I'll probably put myself on the path to wanting to upgrade every year since I can cover a lot of the upgrade cost selling the previous years phone, but I just want to make sure that AT&T customers qualify for the early upgrade every year so I'm not paying the unsubsidized price next year for the iPhone 6.

Edit: So I did the sensible thing and checked out some FAQ's on AT&T's site. It seems to claim that after 6 months I would qualify again. Has anyone had a problem getting a discount after the 6 month period?

The early upgrade eligibility is based on how much revenue you generate for Att and it moves up after every bill cycle. I was not early upgrade eligible two weeks ago (which was 11 months, two weeks after I bought iPhone 5$ but I was two days ago.

The early upgrade eligibility is based on how much revenue you generate for Att and it moves up after every bill cycle. I was not early upgrade eligible two weeks ago (which was 11 months, two weeks after I bought iPhone 5$ but I was two days ago.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if there is anyway for me to find out if I were to upgrade now, if I'd be eligible again by this time next year.

Quadratic

I've been doing that all weekend. I've done it a couple of times today already.

And I still haven't gotten any email updates on my reservation.

I went to the Apple store downtown in downtown Toronto today to see if they had any 5S' left. They're sold out and they didn't give me a day they would get a restock. They didn't know if my online order would get bumped up like the US ones did. I'm sure the genius staff doesn't get any info like that until the last second. They did have "plenty" of 5C's left however. And I did get to try out a 5S and it's much faster than my 4. I'm excited.

Husker86

I got a GS4 in June and was eligible for early upgrade pricing when I went to preorder the 5S; that's only 3 months.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if there is anyway for me to find out if I were to upgrade now, if I'd be eligible again by this time next year.

I got a GS4 in June and was eligible for early upgrade pricing when I went to preorder the 5S; that's only 3 months.

So I talked to AT&T support, and they told me as of June 9, 2013 that the policy on iPhone upgrades is that every 12 months you are eligible to upgrade early should you choose to.

Top Bottom