• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

giga

lGFP+

does that mean that the T-Mobile version is unlocked, and if so does it support the LTE and HSPA+ bands from other GSM carriers like AT&T?
Yes. Apple's not advertising it--probably to temper scalpers--but it is unlocked.

Iacobellis

If I'm a really lucky boy my 5S should arrive later today.

Alright so we got Touch ID, 64 bit A7, super improved camera with 120fps slow mo. What further things can an iPhone 6 bring?

For one thing, a new design. Apple might bump up the RAM to 2GB. Pretty amazing how optimized their software is, the current iPhones demolish a good amount of phones with double the RAM.

Deku Tree

RAM is a battery hog.
This is the main reason apple has been slow to bump up the RAM IMO.

I love how apple optimizes their OS so we'll.

(But I hate erratic auto complete.)

EDIT: Wed delivery !!!

northead

Alright so we got Touch ID, 64 bit A7, super improved camera with 120fps slow mo. What further things can an iPhone 6 bring?

A bigger screen choice, OIS, a notification LED, better speakers, water/dustproof certifications, better specs overall, improved battery life, maybe a 1080p panel... It could have at least a few of these things on the new design.
Still, what really needs to change (IMHO) is still iOS. I would love a bigger screen, 4.5-5" being the sweet spot, but not for another row of icons. And that's just the beginning...

For one thing, a new design. Apple might bump up the RAM to 2GB. Pretty amazing how optimized their software is, the current iPhones demolish a good amount of phones with double the RAM.

I've noticed in iOS 7 that Safari reloads pages again on the iPhone 5 like it used to do in the models with only 512MB of RAM. It could just be poor optimization/a bug, but it could also mean the OS is consuming more RAM, in which case, the jump to 2GB would give a lot of breathing room.

I think we'll definitely see 2GB of RAM in the next model. It would be a huge bottleneck later in that phone's life if they didn't.

And they did just move to lower voltage LDDR3, so that does offset at least some of the battery life concerns.

northead

I've noticed in iOS 7 that Safari reloads pages again on the iPhone 5 like it used to do in the models with only 512MB of RAM. It could just be poor optimization/a bug, but it could also mean the OS is consuming more RAM, in which case, the jump to 2GB would give a lot of breathing room.

I think we'll definitely see 2GB of RAM in the next model. It would be a huge bottleneck later in that phone's life if they didn't.

And they did just move to lower voltage LDDR3, so that does offset at least some of the battery life concerns.

This, too. Undoubtedly.

Espresso

Banned
I love my 4s. I started with the 3gs and by the end of my 2 year contract, it was so slow, I'd barely call it usable. My 4s still feels great today. It really has aged well. I am scared for my 5s that is in the mail. I am so used to my 4s's battery life. I ALWAYS get at least 2 days of use out of it. I think part of that comes down to keeping my screen brightness lower and always letting my phone drain to below 10% before charging it (zero if I can). I also avoid mini charge periods (no car chargers, no charging ipod docks) because I don't want to waste a cycle. I'm just hoping I can get the same performance out of my 5s.

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

• A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.
  • Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.
  • Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
  • Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.
  • Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.
  • Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.
  • Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Cromat

I'm fairly sure they'll do a screen size increase, probably not 5" but who knows. The problem is finding a way to do that without fragmenting the App Store with resolutions too much. I think the way they went with the 5 was a bit shortsighted, they wanted to save money by being able to simply print the 4/4S screen a bit longer but it made it harder to make further increases to the screen size. However, by the time the 6 comes out the 4S might already be on the way out so supporting that resolution might be less important.

They will also probably include more improvement to processor, memory and camera. A larger phone would allow for a bigger battery too so that should help keep battery life at its current levels.

They will definitely not waterproof the phone as that will eat into their replacement and Apple Care business.

Thinking of this stuff makes me want to hold on to my 4 for one more year...

mrkgoo

Got my 5s today.

Slow-mo video is fucking amazing. Gonna be using that with my daughters a ton.

People keep saying the camera is just 'upgraded', but I think both the 10fps and slo-mo mode are amazing additions (not to mention the nifty new two-tone flash).

Sure, other phones probably do it, but in true Apple fashion, they probably have implemented them in such a way that people actually USE them.

javac

Haven't been keeping up with the new iPhone but I remember before the event the packaging leaked and people said it looked amateur and fake. I see it turned out to be legit. Does the packaging look better in person? People had a gripe about the black wallpaper. Minor stuff but I'm bored in uni and just remembered that lol.

n64coder

I've been poking around the Apple website choosing the in-store pickup option. Does it accurately show the store inventory?

Seems that it's unavailable in my area at the store unless you choose a Sprint phone. I'm trying to get a couple of unlocked phones that I can use with aiowireless.com.

I guess the situation is not going to change until early Oct.

I have noticed a hit from my 5. Reilo put up a good post with a link for things to check a few posts back.

iPhones have always tested well in battery life.

I feel like the battery life is worse than my 5 despite Anand saying otherwise.

I followed the tips, hasn't made too much of a difference.

Battery life and wifi were issues I had going to the 5. Seems to be the same.

Also, I purchased a 5s out right from Best Buy and returned it yesterday. It was $50 higher than the Apple Store and Sprint price. Best Buy wouldn't price match it. It's a mobile policy though some stores will get around it.

Forbin5

Banned
How often does UPS deliver ahead of the estimated date?
Basically, should I have any hope of my phone showing up tomorrow instead of Wednesday?

kms_md

How often does UPS deliver ahead of the estimated date?
Basically, should I have any hope of my phone showing up tomorrow instead of Wednesday?

i have found UPS to be quite accurate in their delivery estimates.

btw, is this the first time apple has used UPS? i seem to remember them using Fedex for previous launches.

Forbin5

Banned
i have found UPS to be quite accurate in their delivery estimates.

btw, is this the first time apple has used UPS? i seem to remember them using Fedex for previous launches.

Yeah, everything I've bought from them before has been delivered by FedEx.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will I have a hard time adapting to the bigger screen (going from the original iPhone 4) when it comes to typing on the keyboard? I'm typing blazing fast right now and with the bigger screen, I can only imagine that I have to re-adapt my thumbs :(... Just the thought of this makes me sad.

Iacobellis

Will I have a hard time adapting to the bigger screen (going from the original iPhone 4) when it comes to typing on the keyboard? I'm typing blazing fast right now and with the bigger screen, I can only imagine that I have to re-adapt my thumbs :(... Just the thought of this makes me sad.

I think the keyboard is the same size, just more content is viewable above it.

Cathcart

You dudes worry about the weirdest stuff.

Talon

Well, considering VoLTE will take half a decade for the carriers to get in place, and carriers will probably take the opportunity to raise charges for it - I am really enjoying FaceTime Audio.

Microsoft is fucking up by not making Dial over Skype a default option in WP8.

Question for AT&T users with the grandfathered unlimited data plan: do you have to go through AT&T to upgrade? I forgot how I did this when I got the 4s, and I wanted to make sure I retained the plan

Question for AT&T users with the grandfathered unlimited data plan: do you have to go through AT&T to upgrade? I forgot how I did this when I got the 4s, and I wanted to make sure I retained the plan

When I ordered my iPhone 5, I did so directly through the Apple website the minute pre-orders went up and they acknowledged my unlimited data plan and let me keep it. I haven't ordered a 5S yet though.

gimmmick

4.3' screen and better battery life since the casing will be bigger. Maybe even a new design? As much as I love the design of the 4 and 5, it is becoming very long in the tooth and apple needs to switch it up now.

coming from a 4S I do think the 5S is too long, I really have to stretch to reach the top left corner of the screen.

all the more reason to hope that the "go back by swiping from left to right" is adapted by 3rd party apps asap!

how do you cope, really I don't have small hands and the 4S felt like the perfect size in order to reach the entire screen comfortably. is it just a matter of getting used to it? I can feel the strain already after a couple of minutes playing with my 5S.

apart from that I am loving it, the back feels great love the soft feel of it :)
TouchID is fun, all be it slightly spoiled by todays CCC revelations. Apple I am disappoint.

ecurbj

coming from a 4S I do think the 5S is too long, I really have to stretch to reach the top left corner of the screen.

all the more reason to hope that the "go back by swiping from left to right" is adapted by 3rd party apps asap!

how do you cope, really I don't have small hands and the 4S felt like the perfect size in order to reach the entire screen comfortably. is it just a matter of getting used to it? I can feel the strain already after a couple of minutes playing with my 5S.

apart from that I am loving it, the back feels great love the soft feel of it :)
TouchID is fun, all be it slightly spoiled by todays CCC revelations. Apple I am disappoint.
You'll get use to it and wonder why people with 4S's and below can still operate on them, lol.

Try it. Use the iPhone 5/5S for a few days and then go back to the 4S or lower and you will tell a difference.

solarus

It's a fingerprint sensor, of course someone can break into your phone of they have your fingerprint. Will anyone go to that much effort? Who knows, still thousands of times more secure than just slide to unlock and it's faster than a passcode.

gimmmick

How's everyone's battery life been like after a full drain and charge?

I wanna try to get it above 7 hour on screen time.

iphone5s_usage_zpsda1d60fb.jpg

I have app updating in the back ground (a couple of apps). Location service is off, brightness is at 25%.

Espresso

Banned
^ It's not a good idea to let your battery drain that low if you can help it.

I'm content with my battery life thus far. I turned off a lot of the heavy drains, such as Frequent Locations and Background App Refreshing.

Mr. Hyde

I have an ATT iPhone 4S 32gb and I want to upgrade to the 5S. Can I sell my 4S to gamestop or somewhere to recover most of the cost after I get it?

Lo-Volt

I have an ATT iPhone 4S 32gb and I want to upgrade to the 5S. Can I sell my 4S to gamestop or somewhere to recover most of the cost after I get it?

There are a lot of places you can go to do that sort of thing. Best Buy bought my 4S back when I got a 5s from them. Electronics recycling companies like Gazelle.com are also widely used. AT&T has a trade-in program, by the way; maybe that's easier if you're staying with the carrier.

Top Bottom