• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Which is to say, no one should be worried about the SoC being insufficient. The A7 pushes 2048x1536 perfectly well right now; the A8 and its quoted 50% GPU performance bump should have no problems.
Agreed, which is also why I believe they will (sadly) keep it at 1gb.

Bullza2o

So looking at the Apple site I could get the iPhone 6 regular space gray in 7-10 business days. Att's site has it 21-35 days. So I presume Apple has more stock of it... Anybody from AT&T who's pre-ordering the 6 from Apple instead?

catmario

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/d...55/read?bbsId=G003&itemId=8&articleId=1512922

5417DDF53B28D30019

Oops. It looks like iPhone 6+'s Ram size has confirmed.

1GB. :(

numble

Here in Hong Kong, the reservation system opened up for like 5 minutes this morning and promptly sold out. I was able to see a model available but disappear after I clicked submit.

They are pretty crazy with the security--Apple ID login + Captcha, then they make you text a code from a Hong Kong phone number to a random number and wait for the reply code (which took like 2-3 minutes), then you need to enter that code on the page, and they will also ask for your government ID details at the end.

And now I am off to China until October--hopefully it isn't as difficult to buy when I get back.

glaurung

They are pretty crazy with the security--Apple ID login + Captcha, then they make you text a code from a Hong Kong phone number to a random number and wait for the reply code (which took like 2-3 minutes), then you need to enter that code on the page, and they will also ask for your government ID details at the end.
That is crazy.

I suppose it is in place to fight scalpers?

numble

That is crazy.

I suppose it is in place to fight scalpers?
Yes, they've had a system with IDs since at least the iPhone 4S, I think. I think it only helps a little. One Chinese person in Hong Kong can have a lot of IDs that will work (HK ID, PRC ID, HK passport, PRC passport, home return permit, etc.). The texting of codes and CAPTCHA are newer, I guess it should theoretically get autofill bots out of the system.

It doesn't help things that the iPhone isn't launching at the same time in China.

They've also increased the price of iPhones here. It used to be the cheapest place in the world to buy iPhones since Hong Kong is pretty much a libertarian tax haven--no sales tax and low business taxes. But they've put a 10-11% premium on the price even though there are no sales taxes.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but for now the NFC in the new iPhones will be restricted to Apple Pay only. MacRumors.

The NFC antenna found on Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will only be used with the company's "Apple Pay" mobile payment solution and will not be available to developers for use in third-party apps, reports Cult of Mac. The confirmation comes by way of an Apple spokeswoman, who also declined to comment on future plans for the technology's use in other instances.

As pointed out in the article this doesn't mean NFC won't be opened up in the future for more uses, Touch ID was opened up with iOS8 and some of the features shown for Apple Watch would require NFC features for developers.

glaurung

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but for now the NFC in the new iPhones will be restricted to Apple Pay only. MacRumors.

As pointed out in the article this doesn't mean NFC won't be opened up in the future for more uses, Touch ID was opened up with iOS8 and some of the features shown for Apple Watch would require NFC features for developers.
This is a really silly decision from Apple's part. I figure they want the potential sales channels to fold into their own app, but in terms of development and popularity... this is a coffin nail.

I for one know full well that even though my local supermarkets are equipped with NFC terminals, I would never consider paying using a credit card over there. Debit only.

Guess Who

Banned
This is a really silly decision from Apple's part. I figure they want the potential sales channels to fold into their own app, but in terms of development and popularity... this is a coffin nail.

I for one know full well that even though my local supermarkets are equipped with NFC terminals, I would never consider paying using a credit card over there. Debit only.

You realize you can add debit cards to ApplePay, right

jrcbandit

Damn, I am tempted to cancel my order and go with a Note 4 or just stay with my One M8. I'd definitely stay with my One except I paid $140 to Edge up early on Verizon, I dunno what that means on a cost benefit analysis to just stay with my current phone after doing that, I think Edge is only a good deal if you get the $25 off monthly and immediately upgrade once you hit the 50-60% upgrade threshold ;p.

The constant tab refreshing on my Ipad is very annoying for web browsing, I was really hoping for 2 GB to get rid of that, plus that means they wont be enabling split screen apps on the 6+...

Ninja Dom

Damn, I am tempted to cancel my order and go with a Note 4 or just stay with my One M8. I'd definitely stay with my One except I paid $140 to Edge up early on Verizon, I dunno what that means on a cost benefit analysis to just stay with my current phone after doing that, I think Edge is only a good deal if you get the $25 off monthly and immediately upgrade once you hit the 50-60% upgrade threshold ;p.

The constant tab refreshing on my Ipad is very annoying for web browsing, I was really hoping for 2 GB to get rid of that, plus that means they wont be enabling split screen apps on the 6+...

I think you're over reacting. None of the current iPad models have 2GB of RAM, they all have 1GB. So if Apple DO enable split screen apps the current iPad's will be doing it with 1GB of RAM and an A7 or less.

Ninja Dom

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the screenshot is the size of a 5/5C/5S screen. If the 6 Plus was running an iPhone 5 optimised app wouldn't the 6+ then stretch the app to fill the screen - just like iPad's do running iPhone apps?? Therefore the screenshot should be the res of the 6 plus.

Or is there something I'm missing?

DOWN

Banned
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the screenshot is the size of a 5/5C/5S screen. If the 6 Plus was running an iPhone 5 optimised app wouldn't the 6+ then stretch the app to fill the screen - just like iPad's do running iPhone apps?? Therefore the screenshot should be the res of the 6 plus.

Or is there something I'm missing?

Hey, good question. Are screenshots on non-native resolutions taken of the app resolution or the phone's native?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Credit and Debit cards are one and the same with these kinds of things.

Ninja Dom

Hey, good question. Are screenshots on non-native resolutions taken of the app resolution or the phone's native?

Now running an iPhone 4 app on an iPhone 5 (unoptimised) means that when you take a screen shot on the 5 the pic is the res of the 5 display with the app part taking up the size it should be (iPhone 4 screen size).

So for now, I'm calling that 1GB screenshot above, BOGUS.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Now running an iPhone 4 app on an iPhone 5 (unoptimised) means that when you take a screen shot on the 5 the pic is the res of the 5 display with the app part taking up the size it should be (iPhone 4 screen size).

So for now, I'm calling that 1GB screenshot above, BOGUS.

It's a down-scaled 1080x1920 screenshot, also I thought 1Gb had already been confirmed.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
People are already saying that iOS 8 improves the tab refreshing problem noticeably, and yet everyone is losing their minds over 1GB vs 2GB of RAM.

What use case am I missing that an extra gig of RAM would dramatically improve the phone? If the experience is smooth in all cases and the high-end apps look and feel dope, what's the issue?

As I said before, assuming there aren't any major setbacks from having 2GB, I'd of course accept 2GB, but I've never ever picked up my iPhone and thought: "the fucking RAM on this thing is ruining my experience!"

Why do people care so much? Just because Android phones have up to 3GB?

DOWN

Banned

What's the difference between debit and credit for you in relation to how Apple Pay works? Won't both credit and debit accounts link the same and work the same? It's just like using your cards.

People are already saying that iOS 8 improves the tab refreshing problem noticeably, and yet everyone is losing their minds over 1GB vs 2GB of RAM.

What use case am I missing that an extra gig of RAM would dramatically improve the phone? If the experience is smooth in all cases and the high-end apps look and feel dope, what's the issue?

As I said before, assuming there aren't any major setbacks from having 2GB, I'd of course accept 2GB, but I've never ever picked up my iPhone and thought: "the fucking RAM on this thing is ruining my experience!"

I would prefer 2GB because it would give it some leeway in the future and hopefully stop the next releases from overshadowing it too much.

glaurung

Same symptom as with PC-based memory issues. If you have n+1 developers writing shit for your ecosystem, you need to throw more and more memory at them.

I can live with 1GB in my phone. If app developers in 2015 start complaining that it is not enough for them, improve your code instead.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

More RAM is always better. There's no excusing this decision when the competition has already packed the phones with more RAM. Ease of development for apps and games, multitasking, future proofing somewhat. It pushes the tech and what's possible software side forward.

Because with a bigger screen apps are better (more compelling and less cramped) and that means more RAM will be used.

Besides, I suffered the lack of RAM in idevices before (IPAD 1) and it's a dealbreaker for me.

The question should be: why are they still 1GB? (if of course the benchmarks are real).

Why is it important to have 2GB on a phone instead if 1

Yes I know it's always nicer to have more but does it actually need it for everyday tasks?

EmiPrime

Why is it important to have 2GB on a phone instead if 1

Yes I know it's always nicer to have more but does it actually need it for everyday tasks?

Being able to use the web browser with more than one tab open without the others refreshing when you switch to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pEgZ-SIVI

Also actually getting your money's worth on an expensive premium device instead of being fobbed off with 2012's RAM specs.

Corgi

Banned
I'll wait for when iphone has 2gb ram gonna be you waiting for a long while lol.

Btw what time are review embargoes up?

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
It would be nice to have double the ram but it's never been an issue for me, though I can see why it would enrage multi-tab users.

LCfiner

I wouldn't be surprised if we find that the 6+ with the higher screen res refreshes safari tabs more often than the iphone 6 or 5s/5.

My iPad Air refreshes browser tabs more often than my iphone 5 and I think screen res is part of the issue.

Wubby

I'll be sad if it doesn't have 2GB but I'm already on my third year with the 4S and can't wait another. Oh well that's apple... always something.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I wouldn't be surprised if we find that the 6+ with the higher screen res refreshes safari tabs more often than the iphone 6 or 5s/5.

My iPad Air refreshes browser tabs more often than my iphone 5 and I think screen res is part of the issue.
Wouldn't doubt it.

You have the iOS 8 GM running by any chance? Apparently the tab refresh thing is better.

I think you're over reacting. None of the current iPad models have 2GB of RAM, they all have 1GB. So if Apple DO enable split screen apps the current iPad's will be doing it with 1GB of RAM and an A7 or less.

The last rumor I heard about splitscreen mode is that it would only be on the iPad Air 2, and that the Air 2 would have 2GBs of RAM. I wouldn't expect split-screen apps on the 6+ anyway.

Crazy question. Anyone in Canada order from Bell.ca?

I ordered a couple of days later, so I expect it to be shipped late, but I'd like to see something more than my order is processing. An expected delivery would be good.

Top Bottom