• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like everything is just rumor without any substantial proof. I feel like Apple would have bragged about it during the keynote.

If it was on both it would have had a single slide with just that as a bullet point.

If it's just on the 6+, they may have mentioned it, but they may have also wanted to avoid making the 6 look less desirable.

I doubt it's in either.

MercuryLS

Banned
1GB RAM powering a 1080p res on the iPhone 6 Plus, get ready for dem iPad level safari refreshes

I hope the 6 will be similar to the 5 in this respect. I only open a few tabs at a time (like 3-4), as long as it can keep those in ram without refreshes, I'll be fine.

Apple should have gone with 2gb and just future proofed these devices. So stupid.

Servbot24

Banned
I hope the 6 will be similar to the 5 in this respect. I only open a few tabs at a time (like 3-4), as long as it can keep those in ram without refreshes, I'll be fine.

Apple should have gone with 2gb and just future proofed these devices. So stupid.

Future-proofing is bad business for Apple. Gotta have something new for next year.

Although by then there will probably be 4GB phones on the market.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Some awesome visibility into the banks POV on Apple Pay (read the posts by app_Developer): Crackberry Forums

The TLDR version is:

- Banks value maintaining the bank/customer relationship and do not want 3rd parties getting in the middle of the customer data, which Apple Pay provides them and others do not
- While it's all just NFC, the Apple Pay system is more secure compared to others
- A lot of work had to be done to support Apple Pay technologically on the bank-side, not just agreements
- There some additional functionality that Apple hasn't announced yet related to Apple Pay

...very simplified version of what he's saying in there. Really cool stuff.

sangreal

Credit and Debit cards are one and the same with these kinds of things.

Not really, because there are way more debit card issuers than credit card issuers. Because of how ApplePay works they need an agreement with each issuer (BoA, Citi, Chase, etc) not processor (Visa, MC, Amex, etc). They have the most of the major banks but are missing, for example, most credit unions.

It's silly to use debit cards anyway though

MercuryLS

Banned
Isn't the fact that iPhone 6 plus is rendering at 3x base resolution internally and scaling down to 1080p going to cause more ram issues? If it has 1gb ram, I imagine there's going to be a lot of people not happy with it's tabbed web browsing performance.

ZeroX03

Banned

22-1fcb1.jpg

That's a silver iPhone right? Getting old iMac vibes from it.

Isn't the fact that iPhone 6 plus is rendering at 3x base resolution internally and scaling down to 1080p going to cause more ram issues? If it has 1gb ram, I imagine there's going to be a lot of people not happy with it's tabbed web browsing performance.

Not really. iPads run on the same chips and RAM and they're rendering at a higher resolution. It'll have comparable performance, maybe even a little better with the A8 and iOS8 improvements.

ZeroX03

Banned
iPads have a reloading issue with a handful of tabs.

Well then, you're boned. I never really notice it.

Dan Tri also shares some details on the two new devices, suggesting that despite the size increase, the iPhone 6 Plus is comfortable to hold and feels like "a miniature mini iPad."

Figured as much, iPad Mini feels fantastic in the hand.

Keylime

22-1fcb1.jpg

Should be the Gold actually. Both the Space Grey and Silver models have a grey antenna strip vs. the gold which has white.

ZeroX03

Banned
Should be the Gold actually. Both the Space Grey and Silver models have a grey antenna strip vs. the gold which has white.

Seems it is silver, just a trick of the light. Source article with more pictures here. One of the pics sure looks gold though.

I've been swinging between silver and gold, but I think this confirms me getting silver. Will match a Macbook/iMac.

Keylime

Seems it is silver, just a trick of the light. Source article with more pictures here. One of the pics sure looks gold though.

Hmm, seems that there are more than two iPhones being used in these photos.

There are very clear shots of two white iPhones (grey antenna strips), but then the "in pocket" shots seem very clearly gold...maybe not though, could be weird lighting.

Both have a white front face, so it's hard to tell for the head-on shots.
I've been swinging between silver and gold, but I think this confirms me getting silver. Will match a Macbook/iMac.

Yeah, I went silver this time around coming from a gold 5S. The gold 5S is very very subtle, but for some reason the 6 and 6+ push it in your face a little bit more from what I can tell. Having a giganto-phone that's gold is just one level too many of "what's up, bitch? Yeah I got this crazy-ass phone" for me.

It's silly to use debit cards anyway though

Wut?

Nope. Yes credit cards offer more protection on purchases, but a) Not everyone can get them b) Not everyone can trust themselves with a credit card and c) There's always the danger of getting charged interest if you can't repay within the month.

Maybe it's silly for you, but there are plenty of other people where circumstances dictate that a debit card is a better choice.

Keylime

Wut?

Nope. Yes credit cards offer more protection on purchases, but a) Not everyone can get them b) Not everyone can trust themselves with a credit card and c) There's always the danger of getting charged interest if you can't repay within the month.

Like maybe it's silly for you, but there are plenty of other people where circumstances dictate that a debit card is a better choice.

I find a happy medium as an AMEX card. The monthly balance is expected to be paid in full monthly, and the benefits are actually really nice once you learn about them all.

As an example, I've only paid $500 total in member fees over the past few years and I have at least $1000 worth of points accumulated (assuming I turn them straight into a gift card or use to pay for my balance)...nevermind the rental insurance benefit, enhanced protection and extended warranty benefit!

If you spend a decent amount of money and have a decent handle on your financial management, I'd say it's worth it in spades.

</AMEXsalespitch>

You're right that debit cards are the ultimate "don't fuck with this" card, however. Even the AMEX will try and push their carrying balance feature on you and obviously still is one-layer abstracted from having a direct line into your account, where when you have $0 you can't do anything with it anymore...and it costs money to have an AMEX typically.

LCfiner

Wouldn't doubt it.

You have the iOS 8 GM running by any chance? Apparently the tab refresh thing is better.

i have it running on both ipad air and iphone 5. i don't notice a difference in tab refreshing. seems about the same as 7.1. pretty frequent on the Air, less frequent on the iphone 5.

I find a happy medium as an AMEX card. The monthly balance is expected to be paid in full monthly, and the benefits are actually really nice once you learn about them all.

As an example, I've only paid $500 total in member fees over the past few years and I have at least $1000 worth of points accumulated (assuming I turn them straight into a gift card or use to pay for my balance)...nevermind the rental insurance benefit, enhanced protection and extended warranty benefit!

If you spend a decent amount of money and have a decent handle on your financial management, I'd say it's worth it in spades.

</AMEXsalespitch>

You're right that debit cards are the ultimate "don't fuck with this" card, however. Even the AMEX will try and push their carrying balance feature on you and obviously still is one-layer abstracted from having a direct line into your account, where when you have $0 you can't do anything with it anymore...and it costs money to have an AMEX typically.

You also have to factor in that AMEX isn't accepted everywhere, particularly here in Euroland ;-) Whereas Visa is (and thus Visa debit). I use my credit card for expensive purchases where I value the protection it offers. I use my debit card for typical, small day to day purchases as it's a simpler way to manage my finances.

My brother got a credit card waaaayyyyyyyy too young and simply wasn't mature enough yet to control his finances properly. If he'd been using a debit card he'd have probably saved himself a lot of future pain. Anyway, none of this has anything to do with the iPhone so i'll stop derailing.

Bacon

So how screwed am I that I just preordered yesterday night. Would I have a better chance if I just went to the store on release day?

Keylime

i have it running on both ipad air and iphone 5. i don't notice a difference in tab refreshing. seems about the same as 7.1. pretty frequent on the Air, less frequent on the iphone 5.

We're all straight fucked then! Cancel the hype train. Phone is dead. More like iPhone 6 Minus.

I fully submit that I'm just not a heavy web user on my devices (even the iPad), since I'll typically be using some kind of news-aggregation app like a Zite to get my "show me shit" news and things like Alien Blue for Reddit or some other thing for RSS.

I suspect I'll be affected by this much less than others...unless the lack of RAM has some further implications than just the Safari tab reloading business.

...or the iPhone 6+ with have 2GB and then I'll quickly throw it everyone's faces and be like "YA SHOULDA GOT DA MEGA PHONE, BLEAAAYTCH!" as I dance wildly with my Whale-Phone stuffed in my FlipBelt.
So how screwed am I that I just preordered yesterday night. Would I have a better chance if I just went to the store on release day?
Did you get an estimated ship date with your pre-order? I'm assuming that at this point your only chance of getting some new hotness on day 1 is going to be getting in line and hoping you queued early enough to a phone. I think I've read maybe 1 or 2 posts with someone saying they pre-ordered recently and have an estimated ship date of 9/19. Everyone else is basically in October/November at this point.

Why is it important to have 2GB on a phone instead if 1

Yes I know it's always nicer to have more but does it actually need it for everyday tasks?

It's important because multitab browsing on a current iOS device is frustrating. Not to mention there a plenty of memory hog sites out there that will straight up crash a Safari browser. The extra memory helps out with preventing things like that from happening.

This is coming from someone who has never had anything other than an iPhone until I bought a OnePlus just as a fun side toy. Now I tend to surf almost exclusively on my OPO, because I don't need to worry about my browser crashing or reloading pages. It's one of those niceties in life that you don't want to give up once you experience it. It's similar to build quality of iPhones, once you experience it, you prefer all phones have it. This also including the fact that outside of the memory concerns, I prefer the browsing experience on iOS much better than Chrome.

For instance, recently I was working on my car outside and referencing some videos and DIY pages. On my iPhone, every single time I switched between pages, it would have to reload the entire page (and subsequently, video, again). When I switched to my OPO, no longer an issue.

Now I havent tried iOS8 yet. If they've resolved the issue, then I'm completely fine with 1 GB, especially if the battery profile is significantly better for it.

Personally, I find upping resolution on a phone to stratospheric levels a waste. I don't see the need and the gains vs the demands on power and battery are not worth it. Memory, however, I can see plenty of scenarios where it would be better.

I didn't get a preorder in before the delay so I'm heading to my local AT&T store early Friday morning to see if I can grab a 6+. They said they'd have walk in stock but I'm pretty skeptical.

SuperPac

Wouldn't doubt it.

You have the iOS 8 GM running by any chance? Apparently the tab refresh thing is better.

I'm running the iOS 8 GM on an iPhone 5S - tab refresh isn't better that I've noticed. I have maybe 2-3 tabs open max at a time, and they refresh often.

I am not and have never been bothered by tab refreshing in Safari as usually the way I browse GAF and other messageboards is to leave the subscribed threads or gaming/OT main views open - I don't leave topics open where I'd lose my place on a refresh or messages half-composed before going and doing something else. I use other apps to read news that don't lose my place. If you're browsing image-heavy threads and leave things open, then yes I can totally see how that'd be annoying.

RkOwnage

Anyone else order from VerizonWireless.com? I added a line on Verizon Edge and finished checking out around 4:15am Friday morning,

Whenever I put my preorder confirmation number in, the only status update I've gotten since Friday is:

"We have received your order and it is in process"

Expected Ship Date: "Not Available at this time"..

I'm not gonna be mad if I don't get one on the 19th, but some sort of indication on when to expect it would have been nice!

Keylime

FYI, Apple Stores will have much more stock than your local carrier store will have...by many orders of magnitude.

Unless you know that your local carrier isn't going to be camped, I'd venture you'd have a better chance of getting a device by waiting in line if you went to an Apple Store.

...that being said, the Apple Stores WILL be camped more heavily, meaning you'd probably want to get there sooner than later.

I'm running the iOS 8 GM on an iPhone 5S - tab refresh isn't better that I've noticed. I have maybe 2-3 tabs open max at a time, and they refresh often.
I need to stop saying "apparently it's better on iOS 8" because I trust you two more than whoever I probably read that from.

Bacon

Anyone else order from VerizonWireless.com? I added a line on Verizon Edge and finished checking out around 4:15am Friday morning,

Whenever I put my preorder confirmation number in, the only status update I've gotten since Friday is:

"We have received your order and it is in process"

Expected Ship Date: "Not Available at this time"..

I'm not gonna be mad if I don't get one on the 19th, but some sort of indication on when to expect it would have been nice!

I preordered last night and this is what i'm getting. I don't think I've been charged yet either.

FYI, Apple Stores will have much more stock than your local carrier store will have...by many orders of magnitude.

Unless you know that your local carrier isn't going to be camped, I'd venture you'd have a better chance of getting a device by waiting in line if you went to an Apple Store.

...that being said, the Apple Stores WILL be camped more heavily, meaning you'd probably want to get there sooner than later.

Last year I showed up an hour early to the AT&T store right outside my neighborhood and was fifth in line. It's so out of the way of any big shopping centers that the lines are typically short. Probably head over at 6 AM and get in line. Apple might have more stock but unless you camp all night the odds of you getting one aren't great.

Keylime

Last year I showed up an hour early to the AT&T store right outside my neighborhood and was fifth in line. It's so out of the way of any big shopping centers that the lines are typically short. Probably head over at 6 AM and get in line. Apple might have more stock but unless you camp all night the odds of you getting one aren't great.

Very true, but I also know that if you have a specific SKU in mind (color/size/model), the odds of a carrier having it vs. Apple having it are dramatically different.

HUELEN10

Very true, but I also know that if you have a specific SKU in mind (color/size/model), the odds of a carrier having it vs. Apple having it are dramatically different.
Yep. It's important to remember that most carriers on launch day usually stock only the baseline models.

22-1fcb1.jpg

Not really. iPads run on the same chips and RAM and they're rendering at a higher resolution. It'll have comparable performance, maybe even a little better with the A8 and iOS8 improvements.

Do people really carry their phones like this, besides being impractical, it's easy to steal and people will freak thinking you're recording them. I know not the point of the post, but it's bothering the hell out of me.

Bacon

Do people really carry their phones like this, besides being impractical, it's easy to steal and people will freak thinking you're recording them. I know not the point of the post, but it's bothering the hell out of me.

I think phones are easier to steal when put in back pockets, which I see a lot more often. This phone will only exacerbate that issue because the top will be sticking out now.

ZeroX03

Banned

I occasionally carry my phone like this, though I tend to favor the inner pocket of jackets because they're bigger / not visible to others.

Reading the article with Google Translate it seems they were mostly just putting it in the pocket to give people an idea of the size of the device though.

Is that really a thing? Last year I got a 64 GB 5s no problem. This thread has officially made me nervous now.

I think the max size options (the most expensive) usually stay in stock the longest, I had a similar experience last year where getting a 64GB was reasonably easy. Probably wouldn't hurt to arrive early though.

HUELEN10

Is that really a thing? Last year I got a 64 GB 5s no problem. This thread has officially made me nervous now.
I know that no t-mo stores in my area will carry any 128GB models, and maybe one will carry a FEW 64 GB ones. The Sprint near me is doing 16 an 64 GB models, but only in Space Gray. Finally, one ATT I know of is doing every color, but only 16 GB units.

Best check while you can, but it's clear that your best bet is at the Apple Store early, very early in the morning. Why don't you go to your carrier today and find out what's going on in your area?

Bacon

Hmmmm, I wonder how long the line is going to be in the grand central apple store. I have to commute into there for work anyway, maybe I'll just get there at 4 am or something.

I know that no t-mo stores in my area will carry any 128GB models, and maybe one will carry a FEW 64 GB ones. The Sprint near me is doing 16 an 64 GB models, but only in Space Gray. Finally, one ATT I know of is doing every color, but only 16 GB units.

Best check while you can, but it's clear that your best bet is at the Apple Store early, very early in the morning. Why don't you go to your carrier today and find out what's going on in your area?

Will be calling them when I get off campus. Only thing I'm worried about with going to the Apple Store (besides the line) is if they will be able to actually figure out my family plan AT&T shit and not force a contract on me, since that's why I couldn't preorder online anywhere.

I think phones are easier to steal when put in back pockets, which I see a lot more often. This phone will only exacerbate that issue because the top will be sticking out now.

That's even crazier. Reminds me of the Georgia wallets guys I used to know had, it was kind of a "redneck" thing.

People would put them in their back pocket so the top half with the Georgia symbol would show as a fashion statement.

People are already saying that iOS 8 improves the tab refreshing problem noticeably, and yet everyone is losing their minds over 1GB vs 2GB of RAM.

What use case am I missing that an extra gig of RAM would dramatically improve the phone? If the experience is smooth in all cases and the high-end apps look and feel dope, what's the issue?

As I said before, assuming there aren't any major setbacks from having 2GB, I'd of course accept 2GB, but I've never ever picked up my iPhone and thought: "the fucking RAM on this thing is ruining my experience!"

Why do people care so much? Just because Android phones have up to 3GB?

I've been using iOS 8 for the last few months and even with only a few things open and one or two tabs safari always seems to need to refresh. If more ram would prevent that I'd be all for it

Also I'm on the 5s and currently the GM. Haven't noticed a difference with tab refreshing yet and I use Safari A LOT

mackattk

I keep my phone in my front shirt pocket all the time, it doesn't stick out like that though. Most of the time it is fully concealed in my front shirt pocket, or if it is not, a quarter of an inch at most is sticking out.

Keylime

Hmmmm, I wonder how long the line is going to be in the grand central apple store. I have to commute into there for work anyway, maybe I'll just get there at 4 am or something.

Not to freak you out, but I've had to line up literally 12 hours ahead of time for the iPhone 4 launch and just made the cut by about 50 people.

Definitely keep your eyes on Macrumors forum where there will be threads per Apple Store to cover what the line situation is. I saw that there were already 100 people in line and I bolted over to get my spot.

I think people pre-order much more readily these days (this was for the original iPhone 4), but things COULD be psycho still. I haven't lined up recently to have an updated tale to tell.

I keep my phone in my front shirt pocket all the time, it doesn't stick out like that though. Most of the time it is fully concealed in my front shirt pocket, or if it is not, a quarter of an inch at most is sticking out.

IIt's different if it's small enough to hide in the pocket lol.

FadeX

Banned
Steve Jobs is rolling around in his grave right now.

I doubt he would have ever approved of the camera sticking out of the back slightly.

It's important because multitab browsing on a current iOS device is frustrating. Not to mention there a plenty of memory hog sites out there that will straight up crash a Safari browser. The extra memory helps out with preventing things like that from happening.

Yep this. Safari with a bunch of tabs open is stable until you enter that unexpected NeoGAF *GIF-heavy thread* then boom. Browser crash. And to that end, GAF crashes my tablet browser no less than a couple of times a day.

Video apps like Twitch.tv and Dailymotion will crash on occasion on my iPad too. 1.5GB-2GB would fix what I consider to be a long-standing issue on iOS devices.

It's more an annoyance than anything else. It obviously doesn't take more than 5 seconds to reload an app and be right back where you were, but it's one of the few things that breaks an otherwise extremely smooth and consistent OS experience. As such, it becomes the focal point of frustrations.

Top Bottom