• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

knicks

I'm lost on the whole "the page tab has to refresh when you reopen it" ordeal....mine doesn't do that.

Is that a Safari thing? I use Google Chrome web app on my iPhone.

Apath

I think I was reading in the iOS gaming thread that Apple doesn't allow developers to differentiate and restrict their apps in the app store by model, so you couldn't set your apps to "just iPhone 6 Plus & iPad". They could have Plus specific features but they'd have to go all in with iPhone support. Hope it hcanges.
That is a shame if true. I understand the reasoning of not wanting to make things overly complicated, but they're really handicapping the potential of the Plus if they keep it chained to the regular iPhones.
Wait iphones never had tabbed browsing in Safari?

That seems crazy.

I was talking more about the split screen stuff.
It has "tabs" in the sense that you click a button to bring up a menu where you choose between loaded pages or starting a new one.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That is a shame if true. I understand the reasoning of not wanting to make things overly complicated, but they're really handicapping the potential of the Plus if they keep it chained to the regular iPhones.

It has "tabs" in the sense that you click a button to bring up a menu where you choose between loaded pages or starting a new one.

Oh ok, that makes a lot more sense.

ZeroX03

Banned

Yeah Mario talked about it, if I'm understanding it correctly. He elaborates a bit but it seems you're either iPhone, iPad or both and can only limit to a specific iOS version rather than device.

Xamdou

Can't wait for the official reviews, if the 6+ does indeed have 2gigs of ram while the 6 only has one then the rift between the two models will be even greater.

Usually I think everyone overreacts and more RAM for a better display isn't surprising but not telling your core base about the 1/2 GB RAM split is pretty shady.

Sorry, I think I'm wrong. I just looked at their site, and you are right, they specifically say you can use it only to pay your bill or for another device.

I've gotten gift cards from them before that were just mc gift cards, but it appears this is different

;(
No problem! A Verizon store worker also mentioned a MC/Visa gift card as well, so it may be only for in store trade-ins.

Xamdou

Usually I think everyone overreacts and more RAM for a better display isn't surprising but not telling your core base about the 1/2 GB RAM split is pretty shady.

If it is indeed a 1/2 split then I agree. The way I see it the 6+ is behind schedule and will be delayed no matter what. If they would have announced it during their press conference about the 1/2 split as well then everyone would have waited for the 6+ and totally pass up the regular 6.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
If it is indeed a 1/2 split then I agree. The way I see it the 6+ is behind schedule and will be delayed no matter what. If they would have announced it during their press conference about the 1/2 split as well then everyone would have waited for the 6+ and totally pass up the regular 6.
6 plus, delayed? lol

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
What I mean is not enough units for this Friday's launch... They could have delayed at a later date to meet demand hence te 3-4 week wait. Just speculating at this point.
Ahhh okay. I was gonna say, FedEx has mine in route, if it really issssss a phone.

BearPawB

Banned
What I mean is not enough units for this Friday's launch... They could have delayed at a later date to meet demand hence te 3-4 week wait. Just speculating at this point.

Yeah. The way I see it is that those production rumors were true, but they said, "fuck it, we have enough to get by".

Vyer

If true, that's nice for those of you who are going phablet. I'm fine with 1GB in the 6 as long as performance is as solid as my 5S has been.

Makes me hopeful for my next iPad purchase though.

chidrock

Anyone ever use a Spigen Neo Hybrid case on an older iphone? I ordered it for my 6, but now I don't know if I should cancel it if the TPU can cause scratches on the phone...

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
There would have to be a significant performance difference for me to pony up the extra $100 for that monstrosity.
isGDDIfvBHB4E.jpg
IT'S HUGE!

Esiquio

Whoa, can anyone 100% confirm this? When I went to a Verizon store, the guy there did mention a MC or Visa Card, but their website states that they offer a Verizon gift card which can only be used for the Verizon store (unless they just don't mention it can be used elsewhere).

I went to the Verizon store and they told me I could immediately use the $200 gift card toward the purchase of the iPhone 6 that I'd be there to purchase that morning. If that ends up being a lie, and I wait in line for nothing, then I'd be really upset!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Anyone ever use a Spigen Neo Hybrid case on an older iphone? I ordered it for my 6, but now I don't know if I should cancel it if the TPU can cause scratches on the phone...

Where did you hear this? My wife and I both ordered Spigen cases. I got the Neo Hybrid, she got the Tough Armor since she has butterfingers.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've been thinking and I think I really gonna dig the autofocus and image stabilization improvements. Dug through my video and found I do a lot of handheld shots where I'm moving back and forward using a locked focus because the auto looks so bad in videos. No more!

Bgamer90

Banned
There would have to be a significant performance difference for me to pony up the extra $100 for that monstrosity.

IT'S HUGE!

The screen of the iPhone 6 Plus in terms of height is basically the same size as the whole iPhone 5(S) device. If your finger can easily reach above the 5(S) as well as to the left of it then it should be okay.

Overall, the main reason why I'm getting it over the original 6 is due to battery life.

Bullza2o

Just a couple of hours ago I contemplated getting an iPhone 6+. I then checked for an AT&T Next upgrade --then I noticed ship dates were mid-November... :(

This just completely deterred me from preordering one right now. If I'm getting it November I might as well wait and see what the Nexus 6 has to offer.

Ya no

On the verizon website the trade in and trade up program says I'll get a $200 gift card to get the iPhone 6 if I trade in my iPhone 4S. The outside of the phone is in great condition, but the screen has been replaced... Will they be able to tell or will it not matter as long as the phone is still functional? It still runs great.

DOWN

Banned
Where did you hear this? My wife and I both ordered Spigen cases. I got the Neo Hybrid, she got the Tough Armor since she has butterfingers.

Well TPU is basically very flexible plastic, but it's not really soft so it can scuff the metal, especially with high pressure or dirt.

Husker86

On the verizon website the trade in and trade up program says I'll get a $200 gift card to get the iPhone 6 if I trade in my iPhone 4S. The outside of the phone is in great condition, but the screen has been replaced... Will they be able to tell or will it not matter as long as the phone is still functional? It still runs great.

They won't notice/care.

knicks

How do you not mention the RAM specifications in each model when one has 2GB and the other has 1GB? This is such a joke.

DOWN

Banned
How do you not mention the RAM specifications in each model when one has 2GB and the other has 1GB? This is such a joke.

Because maybe it has little to no real-world effect due to some of the other hardware differences and optimization choices in iOS.

raven777

IT'S HUGE!

the 6+ is significantly better than 6 in terms of specs that it's worth $100 extra.

But I do wish 6 had same specs as 6+ so I would have gone with smaller one.

Enco

We don't even know if it's true that it has 2 gb yet. It could very well be 1 gb on both models.
Ok. I just hope next year they've added it to all models.

I'm lost on the whole "the page tab has to refresh when you reopen it" ordeal....mine doesn't do that.

Chrome does it too.

I'm guessing you only have 1-2 tabs open most of the time. It's one of the worst things about the iphone.

olympia

E: nvm. I called Verizon today and they said my iPhone 5 is good for a $200 credit which makes the new phone way more affordable for me. Not sure whether I should just get the 6 or the 6+. I guess I'll just wait for reviews. I do like to draw digitally.

Ashhong

Damn, $200 for the iPhone 4S? I think iPhone 4 as well? Verizon is crazy. Wish my 5 was worth like $250 to cover taxes lol. I wonder if I should bother with selling on craigs or just sell to Verizon. This plus the extra 1gb of data per line is great.

subrock

I don't notice it ever either on safari, but I'm not too bothered even if it did.

yeah verizon would give me 200 for my 64gb 4s which i am tempted but if I upgrade I plan on using that as a music player for a dock that has the original 30pin connector.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
the 6+ is significantly better than 6 in terms of specs that it's worth $100 extra.

But I do wish 6 had same specs as 6+ so I would have gone with smaller one.
Like I said, a significant performance difference. Having the 6+ would make having my Mini feel redundant (I took the picture above).
Because maybe it has little to no real-world effect due to some of the other hardware differences and optimization choices in iOS.
This is what I'm hoping most of the superior tech surmounts too. Yeah a better battery, talk & data time is nice, but the 6 is still an improvement from my 4S in every way.

zychi

Banned
Everyone getting the new iphone, are you upping your data?

My main beef with these new smart phones (besides size) is how much data everything will be using, but the telecoms are raping everyone on data packages.

When I do upgrade, I'm probably switching to TMobile for the "unlimited" they have.

Top Bottom