• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

I don't understand how honestly.

1. It's CDMA

2. It's so god-dammed expensive. To set up a plan that would fit my needs with them would cost over 250 USD a month.

1. LTE is GSM CDMA only for legacy 3G. Verizon phones operate on GSM bands. It also sells all it's 4G LTE phones unlocked by default so you can switch the sim to any carrier(including AT&T and tmobile) without jumping through hoops( I use my verizon 5s like this and use many other carrier sims)

2. Its not that expensive.

Got my Neo Hybrid Spigen cases for the 6 and 6+ (even though I cancelled my 6+ order and went with the 6 - gotta return the 6+ case).

So, in theory the 6 should get better performance than the 6+ then. If it has identical specs (besides battery) while driving a smaller screen. Right?

Main problem I foresee is that the 6+ scales it's rendering 3x and then resizes it to fix 1920 x 1080 screen. I can't say empirically, but I would think that extra scaling could factor negatively in gaming performance.

a916

I'm not sure. I was usually between 15th and 30th in line by getting there at 5am. Didn't stick around or come back later to see when they sold out.

Getting there at 5AM, how long did it take for you to get in and get your phone? And were you able to walk around when you got your card (I believe they are doing it via SMS/email this year)?

MercuryLS

Banned
3IRVcds.png

250 USD man, 250 USD. And that is BEFORE tax and fees!

Holy poop. I recently bought a grandfathered Bell plan from someone here in Canada and I'm never letting it go.

600mins
6gb LTE data
Unlimited Texts
Evenings (from 6pm) and Weekend
Caller ID + Voicemail
Unlimited incoming

$63+tax

I have no problem paying for a phone outright as long as I can keep this plan forever.

How much data do you use? I have 10GB shared across 3 lines on Verizon with unlimited talk & text for less than that. If it were just the one line with 10GB, it'd be only about $140.
Did I seriously just say "only" to a $140 cell phone bill? The carrier marketers, they're taking hold...

I hate how Verizon and AT&T make their plans seem cheaper by forcing you into higher data tiers or more lines. Right now I pay $150/month (before discount) for two lines and 4GB of data. I can go to TMobile for $90/month (before factoring in phones)**. I know the coverage wont be as good but the new WiFi calling can probably make up for the coverage issues.

**I've moved towards buying phones off contract. So when looking at the costs it be over $1000 saved moving to TMobile over 2 years.

Fuchsdh

My 5s has 1GB of RAM and the thing still runs like a champ. I wish the spec stuff wasn't getting to be so prominent in phones. It's getting kind of annoying at this point.

That's why Apple has never trumpeted specs for the iPhones--which works out for both us and them, since for us we get identical specs on all new SKUs, and for them because they just use flash storage as the differentiator to get their big margins.

knicks

He is super happy it's only 1gb. He would have flipped his shit if he knew he was missing out with his regular 6. Read his posts.

KuGsj.gif

Should still be taken with a grain of salt, but here's some more information suggesting the 6+ has
1GB
of memory.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/16/iphone-6-plus-1gb-ram/

Though it's to be expected, it's humorous how delusional people are who post on macrumors.

"Well if Apple put in more RAM, we'd have to deal with yet another Samsung commercial: "We innovated extra RAM first, Apple! Way to copy us!"

Thank god we only have 1 gb."

That's why Apple has never trumpeted specs for the iPhones--which works out for both us and them, since for us we get identical specs on all new SKUs, and for them because they just use flash storage as the differentiator to get their big margins.

As long as Apple is controlling the CPU build I wont stress about memory.

nikos

KuGsj.gif

Though it's to be expected, it's humorous how delusional people are who post on macrumors.

"Well if Apple put in more RAM, we'd have to deal with yet another Samsung commercial: "We innovated extra RAM first, Apple! Way to copy us!"

Yeah, those forums are awful around this time every year.

MercuryLS

Banned
KuGsj.gif

While I would have preferred 2gb of mem, I can't say that 1gb of mem on the iPhone 5 has limited it in any way for me. I haven't had any issues with it outside the rare tab reloading. With 2gb we might have seen a new class of games hit the devices :/

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Holy shit, you Americans pay so much or your phone contracts. I can get a 1 month rolling contract in the UK with unlimited data and texts, no charges for international calls and 200 minutes for £15 monthly. £18 for 600 minutes I think. Great deal, sim-only though so obviously I'm playing more for the handset, but I'll save a lot over the course of 2 years/however long until my next contract.

Ovid

Holy shit, you Americans pay so much or your phone contracts. I can get a 1 month rolling contract in the UK with unlimited data and texts, no charges for international calls and 200 minutes for £15 monthly. £18 for 600 minutes I think. Great deal, sim-only though so obviously I'm playing more for the handset, but I'll save a lot over the course of 2 years/however long until my next contract.
I know, it's pretty much robbery. The worst offender is Verizon. Their prices are insane.

T-mobile is tolerable. Can't argue with the pricing of their cheapest plan.

noomi

Guys.... maybe you can help. HALP!

I am upgrading my iphone 4s to the 6, a big leap for me!

I want to make sure the transition is as seamless and pain free as possible.

If I upgrade my 4s to io8, backup to icloud, manually backup to itunes, once I have the 6 I should just be able to restore it from the itunes backup right, or icloud? It will hold all my settings, folder structure, apps, emails, wifi info...etc

I would hate to have to re-arrange and download everything, put in info again :(

Question:

I cannot walk in line with a already preordered phone order and get a phone from ATT store from launch date as ATT takes anywhere between 24/48 hours to see the Apple order cancellation and then reinstate eligibility.

So the question is, if I go in to the store in the morning and see that i have a chance at the phone, cancel the pre-order, get the desired phone at full price. then wait for ATT to reinstate eligibility and within 24-48 hours go to Apple.com and get the remaining refund while reinstating the phone into the renewed ATT contract.

is this possible? has someone else done it?

nikos

If I upgrade my 4s to io8, backup to icloud, manually backup to itunes, once I have the 6 I should just be able to restore it from the itunes backup right, or icloud? It will hold all my settings, folder structure, apps, emails, wifi info...etc

I would hate to have to re-arrange and download everything, put in info again :(

Yes, as long as you back up, either to iCloud or iTunes, your content and settings will be retained.

HUELEN10

An iTunes mount is the best way to do things, but iCloud is acceptable too.

What I would do in your boat is NOT update to 8. Instead, make some webclips as placeholders for the new default (non-uninstalable) apps, organize to your liking, sync, delete your iTunes backups, and then right-click the phone in iTunes and select backup for your one, full backup. When the big day comes, restore that to your new phone, delete the placeholder webclips, and you're good to go!

That way, you can wipe the phone with iOS 7 now, and sell it later on; there are always some people that pay more for un-updated phones.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Both iCloud and iTunes backups will save everything.

I recommend iTunes. It'll restore much faster than iCloud. The cloud will need to redownload everything and music will be transferred via WiFi. A direct connection to iTunes will take much less time. Especially if you don't use the transcode option for music. (I can't wait to get 64GB so I can stop using that. It takes so long to transcode all my music.)

Just make sure to do the backup immediately before saying good night to the old phone.

I recommend iTunes. It'll restore much faster than iCloud. The cloud will need to redownload everything and music will be transferred via WiFi. A direct connection to iTunes will take much less time. Especially if you don't use the transcode option for music. (I can't wait to get 64GB so I can stop using that. It takes so long to transcode all my music.)

Just make sure to do the backup immediately before saying good night to the old phone.

My iTunes hasn't been functional for six months now. Doesn't matter if I reinstall, restore my phone, it freezes and deletes music any time I sync to my computer and I can't figure out why. So I'm stuck with iCloud.

hope32

look later in that thread. the proof is bogus.
The leaked image is just using the new "zoom mode". In that thread there is an overlay with the zoomed in phone, and it is identical..

yeah, but that zoom mode pic on the apple website is for the iPhone 6 not the 6+.

noomi

Wow! 3 replies right after my post! Thank you guys soo much :) Very appreciated!

Props to nikos , HUELEN10 , & The Real Abed

Okay, this is getting fun. So my order online still says Awaiting Inventory with a 9/19/14 date from less than an hour after it went on sale for pre-order.

So I called up the Verizon fools and the guy on the phone said on his end it said the order was placed 9/14/14 and the estimated delivery date is 10/28/14.

I hate all this bull. It's stupid. Get your computer systems together already.

Me and my husband were available for an upgrade, so we decided to pre-order the 6. I'm going for the 128GB space gray, while he is going for the Plus 64GB gold. The gold looks a lot prettier in the promo pictures compared to the 5S. Were moving up from the 4S, so this should be a nice treat for us both. I'm excited that it will be much slimmer compared to our 4S. Got a bit of a wait before we even get a shipping notice, hopefully it will be worth it! First time preordering a phone lol

MercuryLS

Banned
I still read the front page but the discussion has gone to hell. If you rightly criticise Apple you better have your flame shield to hand.

Those platform specific sites are the worst, crazy groupthink and evangelism. Crackberry is the worst of the lot.

mcfrank

Also, check encrypted back up in iTunes. Otherwise you have to put all of your passwords in again.

Bacon

That macrumors forum is nasty.

I saw a post there earlier of one guy saying he will take off work friday because he might cry tears of joy when he gets to feel the phone or some weird shit like that.

I'm desperate for iphone discussion right now, but not that desperate.

MicH

I saw a post there earlier of one guy saying he will take off work friday because he might cry tears of joy when he gets to feel the phone or some weird shit like that.

I'm desperate for iphone discussion right now, but not that desperate.
Haha yeah, the users on that forum are quite... fanatic. I've only really checked the accessory subforum for some case recommendations

mrkgoo

Wait, does the 6+ have 2 gigs of RAM or not? Why has finding out become some sort of scavenger hunt?

Because apple has deemed it irrelevant. I would actually largely agree unless the amount significantly impedes performance, which no one knows since no one has one.

Just a note the backups don't back up absolutely EVERYTHING. They only backup documents, settings, and what you have synced, but otherwise the items that are synced from elsewhere are not actually part of the backup, and you'd have to sync those things separately.

For example, music synced from iTunes are not part of the backup, but will sync back on next sync. Same goes for actual apps, which either re download(keeping the save data intact which is in the backup), or re sync from iTunes.

Other items include synced photo albums (say from iPhoto), photostream, emails, caches etc

Some other things like individual magazines issues in newsstand apps and other "cache" data aren't backed up because they can re download.

It's stuff like this that sit in your "other".

HGStormy

Banned
Just ordered a Spigen "Case capsule" for my 6 ^_^
Used a spigen Neo Hybrid case on my GS5, but didn't like the added bulk D:

Edit: I really hope it doesn't scratch or scuff my 6 ): Does anyone have any experience with Spigen cases and iPhones?

billeh

I don't understand how honestly.

1. It's CDMA

2. It's so god-dammed expensive. To set up a plan that would fit my needs with them would cost over 250 USD a month.
CDMA doesn't really matter much with the iPhone anyway. I can travel over the Europe and pop in a GSM SIM like any other phone.

I only ever use the CDMA networks when I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

Top Bottom