• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

I put up with Verizon and their pricing because their coverage is absolutely beast. If I'm driving to LA or up to Oregon I know I'll have coverage all the way. T-Mobile is pretty spotty especially in some of the cutovers to 5 and Sprint? Good luck with that. I'm 90% sure that Sprint think the west coast of the country is somwehere around the San Antonio area.

I put up with Verizon and their pricing because their coverage is absolutely beast. If I'm driving to LA or up to Oregon I know I'll have coverage all the way. T-Mobile is pretty spotty especially in some of the cutovers to 5 and Sprint? Good luck with that. I'm 90% sure that Sprint think the west coast of the country is somwehere around the San Antonio area.
I am on sprint and get decent enough service in the bay area. I am with them because my work has a sprint tower on site and at my house in the boonies I get the occasional signal. T mobile is terrible around here and Verizon the best by far. Curious to see if I get a better signal at home with my new phone compared to my old gs3.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I use about 10GB each month. I pay around $70, but then again I'm in Europe - we dont get charged for incoming calls/texts
Wait, Americans get charged for people calling them or sending them texts? That's insane! What if someone texts or calls you repeatedly, you'd get charged a bunch for something you have no control over! I don't think the UK did this ever, certainly in the last 15 years I've owned a mobile phone.

MicH

You guys don't recommend the leather cases from Apple right? They look so nice.
I think the black is okay. The colored ones pick dirt and discolor quite bad. That's what I've read anyway

Yup, the coat of a call and text is split between sender and receiver.

It sucks particularly for texts, because like you say you have no control over it. With a call you can at least not answer it. Worse when some people somehow get your number and start spamming it.
What the hell, that is ridiculous! You guys have it really awful when it comes to stuff like this :( a You pay so much for the service too!

mrkgoo

Wait, Americans get charged for people calling them or sending them texts? That's insane! What if someone texts or calls you repeatedly, you'd get charged a bunch for something you have no control over! I don't think the UK did this ever, certainly in the last 15 years I've owned a mobile phone.

It sucks particularly for texts, because like you say you have no control over it. With a call you can at least not answer it. Worse when some people somehow get your number and start spamming it.

I absolutely love the red one but if you put your phone in a pocket, it gets discolored within a week or two. The darker (black & navy) ones aren't as bad, obviously.

They also don't hold up well against drops because the leather tears really quickly when dropped on concrete/brick/etc.

I'm still getting a navy one...

number11

I think the black is okay. The colored ones pick dirt and discolor quite bad. That's what I've read anyway

Leather looks pretty cool when worn in.. But I think the one to stay away from is the red case. My red iPad cover looks disgusting.

kaskade

This is exactly why I switched. The 60$ single line plan seems perfect for me. I really don't use much data since I get wifi at work. But I live in a rural area so when I am out sometimes iMessage can be shitty with T-Mobile. And their building penetration isn't good either. I'll be in the supermarket with nothing and my friend gets LTE. It's going to feel so nice.

Pretty much every plan these days is unlimited talk and text.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I wonder if the cost is actually split, or if they're just charging both parties the same we'd pay over here. I mean, paying for texts is already ridiculous as they're sent in the packets that your phone constantly sends to cell towers to determine where you are anyway. I think all phone contracts in the UK include unlimited texts now.

You guys are winning in handset costs though, the iPhone is waaay more expensive here than it is there, even when you take into account VAT/sales tax.

Edit:
Pretty much every plan these days is unlimited talk and text.
That's better then, still seems a lot pricier than our equivalent though.

If there are still American's that get charged this way, it's because they are not paying attention and updating to a modern plan. I saved money when I switched my AT&T plan over to their Mobile Share, and I got unlimited talk and text.

I own an iPhone 4S, but I'm thinking it's finally time to upgrade. The lock button is broken, so I had to switch on some floating button that is on-screen at all times, just so I can lock my phone. And if I turn it off proper, the only way to turn it on again is to plug the charger in. In addition, the battery is on its last legs. Anything more than moderate use will result in it running out of juice in less than a day. If I use Satnav, I'm lucky if I can get more than an hour or so.

I'm undecided whether to get the 6 or the 6 Plus. I own an iPad 2 also, so the Plus would be a good medium, and I could sell my iPad 2, knocking a bit off the cost. But the 6 Plus honestly looks like it would not be comfortable/realistic to keep in your pocket.

I am on sprint and get decent enough service in the bay area. I am with them because my work has a sprint tower on site and at my house in the boonies I get the occasional signal. T mobile is terrible around here and Verizon the best by far. Curious to see if I get a better signal at home with my new phone compared to my old gs3.

One of my closest friends uses Sprint because he's cheap. It's not bad if you exist within the inner bounds of the major freeway systems and a few of the major highways. Go into Portola Valley? Watch that coverage vanish. Heading over 17? You lose coverage on Sprint half the route. Driving the 1 from Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay on a Sunday afternoon? Welcome to Roaming town! Go down to Carmel for the weekend? Don't go too far south or into the hills or your coverage is liable to disappear. Verizon I can at least get some coverage at Big Sur. I can even get LTE from some of the rooms at the in the park.

So any news on the 6S/6S+ yet?
:D

jk

Any ever use AT&T Next? Wondering what the experience is like? Am I better off just waiting for my 2yr upgrade or would it end up costing me more doing Next?

Toki767

So any news on the 6S/6S+ yet?
:D

jk

Any ever use AT&T Next? Wondering what the experience is like? Am I better off just waiting for my 2yr upgrade or would it end up costing me more doing Next?

If you're on a data sharing plan, AT&T Next will most likely save you money. If you're on a single plan, the 2 year upgrade is probably cheaper unless you want to upgrade your phone every year.

Brandwin

I just preordered iPhone 6 Plus with the 3-4 week shipping from Apple.

Question - I have been going back and forth on getting new iPhone or waiting for S6. Since I preordered does my 2 year contract start now or if I cancel, I still am eligible for an upgrade?

The only smart phone I have ever owned has been an iPhone, so I am hesitant to change, but it does seem like the S5 is a better phone than the iPhone 5S. I may wait until February (the rumored release date for S6) and then try it and if I don't like it I can exchange for an iPhone 6 Plus.

kaskade

Why so much rush for reviews? We've all already bought it or will buy it, does it make any difference to you?

For me it's just something to read and look at until it comes out. Not like they'll really tell us anything new. Biggest thing for me is the sample camera pictures though. I love seeing how it compares to last gen. Apple always improves in that area.

My 6+ will be delivered on Friday, but is still in the "Preparing for Shipment" stage. My patience is being thoroughly tested...

soon2.jpg

good news from Apple.

People waiting in line will get a Digital Line Card instead of paper cards line waiters used to get in past years.

YAYYYYY

This means you can stand in line, verify you want to purchase a specific product then come back by 9:30 PM on the same day and pick it up later.

Zeth

Any good iPhone 6 cases on Amazon US? I should probably order something to have just in case, though I intend to go case-less mostly.

Why so much rush for reviews? We've all already bought it or will buy it, does it make any difference to you?

Because a review might show up or highlight what Apple won't. And not everyone has made a definite decision either to upgrade to the iPhone 6, switch from another manufacturer or whether the 6 or the 6+ is the better purchase.

There's a lot that Apple obfuscate. How much RAM is there? Will it affect multitasking or Safari use? How does the screen compare to other similarly large phones? Is the new camera really a big step up over the 5s? How much difference does OIS make on the 6+? How well does the pull screen down gesture work? What is the real life battery use like on both phones? Is the build quality superior to the 5s? Is speaker audio improved/the same? etc etc etc.

Still lots of unanswered questions, to which people are legitimately curious and want to have answered, having pre-ordered or not. People want the confidence that the $$$ they laid down are justified compared to the competition or even the 5s. And generally people want these questions answered sooner rather than later.

Not really rocket science.

MoeDabs

I had made up my mind on the 6+ until I tried one of those printed out mock ups. My hands are just a tiny bit too small. If the top and/or bottom were shrunk just a tiny bit I could manage, but oh well. I really wanted that bigger battery too. Either way, coming from a 4S should be a nice upgrade.

Not trying to be an asset, but I think an article for people to switch from Apple to Android would get more traffic.

Die hard apple fan, but I totally see Apple losing people this Gen, even with the pre orders.

Losing to who ?

You do know that android isn't a phone right ?

So is it official that Sprint is not shipping 6+'s anytime soon? I ordered it last friday but afaik they're not shipping till a few weeks from now. All they've given me is that i can expect it within the first 3 weeks : /

Losing to who ?

You do know that android isn't a phone right ?

Yes, but it is a platform and in many ways now an ecosystem. Losing sales (I don't see this happening) would certainly be a blow to Apple. The move to larger phones is a direct move to compete with Android flagships which have being steadily increasing in screen size over the past 24-36 months.

My wife has a brown one for her 5S and I have a black one for my 5. Mine looks great, hers looks really dirty but has held up fine otherwise.

I'll probably get another black one for my 6, but I wouldn't recommend anything other than black.

Yes, but it is a platform and in many ways now an ecosystem. Losing sales (I don't see this happening) would certainly be a blow to Apple. The move to larger phones is a direct move to compete with Android flagships which have being steadily increasing in screen size over the past 24-36 months.

The android OS is and will always been too fragmented to be a good ecosystem IMO. How many phones come out per year that run Android ? 25? 50? 75? 100?

1 phone will never beat out that many phones per year for market share.

Edit: typo

Marco1

I received my dark blue apple case for the 6 today and I love the way Apple line the inside of these cases.
It's a really nice shade of blue too, I've just given it it's second coat of leather gel.
They might use cheap leather but it has a really nice finish to the edges and camera hole.

Top Bottom