• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Bullza2o

Follow the link in your order confirmation email to an order summary page. Looks like this :

BaOxJGX.png

I'm in the same Mobile Share 2GB plan! Are you using Next or doing a contract upgrade?

nikos

UK's Independent posted its review early and immediately took it down. It was cached, but there's nothing we don't already know in the review and unfortunately there's no media. Figured I'd post it anyway.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ts-and-tech/iphone-6-plus-review-9736432.html

Apple has unveiled two new phones. Much of what’s said in the iPhone 6 review is relevant here, so please check that out. Here I’ll concentrate on what the iPhone 6 Plus offers above the iPhone 6.

The trend for bigger phones has led to the creation of phone/tablet hybrids: so big they work just fine as tablet substitutes, even if you feel a bit of a noodle holding one to your ear.

Apple’s aim with the iPhone 6 Plus and its 5.5-inch display is to get the balance right, to offer the benefits of a screen sizeable enough for extensive video playback and easy email composing on a far-from-cramped keyboard but still fit your jeans pocket.

The iPhone 6 Plus succeeds, though even a whisper bigger would make it just too big. As it is, it’s important you try it in your hand first as it won’t suit all mitts.

When you do, you’ll see that the display is even richer than on the smaller handset. This is a Full HD screen, that is one with 1920 x 1080 pixels, which at this size works out at 401 pixels per inch. There are phones with higher-resolution screens, but the subtle colours, the great viewing angles and the laser-sharpness here are outstanding. I’d say this is the best screen I’ve seen on a mobile phone.

Turn the phone on its side and the home screen turns with you – the iPad has this capability too, but not the iPhone until now. And that’s a clue – this is really more like a little iPad that makes calls than anything else. So when you’re reading emails in landscape orientation you have a list of mails on the left and one message displayed on the right, like on the iPad. Messages has a similarly optimised landscape view – expect other apps to be improved in this way for the bigger-screened iPhone.

So how is it held to the ear? It’s big. It’s noticeably heavier than other iPhones. And for smaller faces it may feel too much, but this is all about personal taste and for many this won’t be an issue.

The iPhone 6 Plus has a great camera, as does the 6, though stills and video playback look even better on this high-res real estate. And the eight-megapixel snapper has an extra feature here – optical image stabilisation which is more sophisticated and effective than the digital version on the iPhone 6.

It allows the camera lenses to move in response to camera shake, to counteract it. In low light this is especially important as the camera shutter needs to be open longer. I’ve tried the camera in reduced light and it seemed to deliver more forgiving, sharper images than before. Apple’s imaging has in recent years worked so well through a combination of an efficient sensor and good-taste image processing. This is Apple’s best camera.

Smartphones are dogged by poor battery life, especially as more features are added to tempt us to use our phones more. One of the disadvantages of a bigger, higher-resolution display is that it consumes more power. One of the advantages is a bigger phone has room for a bigger battery. The iPhone 6 Plus just keeps going. I found it seriously capable of going strong even when I didn’t charge it for two successive nights.

After years of rigorously, anxiously plugging a phone in every single night and probably most afternoons, I cannot tell you how intensely liberating this is. The iPhone 6 is a big step forward in battery life and the Plus is even better.

Both phones offer great features, like the sublimely easy Touch ID to launch the screen and (one day) become a useful contactless payment system. For my digits the iPhone 6 is the ideal size. But for bigger mitts or greedier eyes, this will be the optimum.

The android OS is and will always been too fragmented to be a good ecosystem IMO. How many phones come out per year that run Android ? 25? 50? 75? 100?

1 phone will never beat out that many phones per year for market share.

Edit: typo

Honestly the fragmentation thing is a media narrative which really holds no water as it hasn't affected Android's growth. In fact Google have taken steps to combat the narrative anyway, by introducing key API's through Google Play Services rather than Android platform updates, Android One and Android Wear. It's generally used as an ill informed strawman argument to criticise Android without really understanding what "fragmentation" actually is.

I don't buy your argument about it not being a good ecosystem, or that an ecosystem is healthier based on a vertically integrated platform, mostly because you haven't constructed a solid argument but instead presented an opinion not really based on any kind of reality. They are different ways of approaching a problem each with inherent benefits and drawbacks.

I'm not really sure why you've suggested an argument that one phone will beat out Android for marketshare. I never argued that. What I did indicate is that Apple likely don't want a declining marketshare, or declining sales volumes (I don't foresee either). The iPhone will never sell more than Android phones in total especially as the iPhone is specifically priced and targeted as a premium device.

Honestly the fragmentation thing is a media narrative which really holds no water as it hasn't affected Android's growth. In fact Google have taken steps to combat the narrative anyway, by introducing key API's through Google Play Services rather than Android platform updates, Android One and Android Wear. It's generally used as an ill informed strawman argument to criticise Android without really understanding what "fragmentation" actually is.

I'm not really sure why you've suggested an argument that one phone will beat out Android for marketshare. I never argued that. What I did indicate is that Apple likely don't want a declining marketshare, or declining sales volumes (I don't foresee either). The iPhone will never sell more than Android phones in total especially as the iPhone is specifically priced and targeted as a premium device.

I wouldn't say fragmentation is a strawman, it certainly exists. But I think the issue of it is far less know as the platform has matured greatly and manufacturers are starting to slow down their need to push out so many flagship-esque phones.

As for market-share, you're absolutely right. There is no way iPhones will ever be able to compete with the sheer amount of sub-$100 Android or Windows phones. But they also probably don't care to.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'm in the same Mobile Share 2GB plan! Are you using Next or doing a contract upgrade?

Next 12. It's a nice deal for me since iPhones hold their value well if you don't fuck them up, so I paid my 32GB 5S off with the assumption I'd be able to sell it for more than what it cost to pay it off ($300-something). Hopefully this works out and I can do this every year and be free to change carriers if I want to.

DoubleTap

I think I found my UPS tracking no. I filled out the "shipment reference" box and entered the phone no. used in my Apple ship to address.

it's going to be shipped UPS next day Air.

C'mon Friday!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
The order status detail page? If so, I cannot find anything that looks like the above on the page.

You have to follow the link from the order confirmation email you get from AT&T, I never saw the option if I logged in directly to their website. It didn't matter in my case because the damn button didn't work and I had to call and do it over the phone. I changed my pre-order to Apple's site, who are nice enough not to charge you until your shit actually ships.

I wouldn't say fragmentation is a strawman, it certainly exists. But I think the issue of it is far less know as the platform has matured greatly and manufacturers are starting to slow down their need to push out so many flagship-esque phones.

As for market-share, you're absolutely right. There is no way iPhones will ever be able to compete with the sheer amount of sub-$100 Android or Windows phones. But they also probably don't care to.

Fragmentation is used as a strawman on a regular basis. Scare stories that Android will implode due to the differing versions and skins, screen sizes, resolutions and the varying manufacturers. None of which have proven to be true. Most developers target Android versions 4.0 and up, of which 88% of Android devices use and at last count 93% of devices had the latest Google Play Services installed. There are legitimate constructive criticisms to be made but it's not at all proven that the android platform distribution is hurting the Android ecosystem, which has only accelerated in the last 24 months.

I don't think it's necessarily true that Android domination is just because of the sub $100 market. While quite clearly Android dominates that segment, it's also arguable worldwide that Android holds the mid price sector and more than holds it's own in the high end though not through any one single device.

This is not a post ascertaining that Android is either superior or inferior to iOS, just one trying to shed reality on the situation rather than conforming to the popular and out of date narratives that often litter these platform discussions.

Apath

You have to follow the link from the order confirmation email you get from AT&T, I never saw the option if I logged in directly to their website. It didn't matter in my case because the damn button didn't work and I had to call and do it over the phone. I changed my pre-order to Apple's site, who are nice enough not to charge you until your shit actually ships.
I apologize if I'm just being dense, but "www.att.com/wirelessorderstatus" is the only link besides the foot note stuff at the bottom and the return policy I'm seeing.

Smidget

Of course the credit card I preordered the 6s on AT&T at midnight for my upgrade was part of the Home Depot breach and Chase is sending me a new one although they said I can continue using the old one.

Sent them a message saying if I can just keep using the old one until I activate the new one.

The concerning part is AT&T's pending charges no longer appear on that credit card and aren't regular charges either.

Anyone else see their AT&T's pending leave their card(s)?

BearPawB

Banned
This is not a post ascertaining that Android is either superior or inferior to iOS, just one trying to shed reality on the situation rather than conforming to the popular and out of date narratives that often litter these platform discussions.

Android has a far greater variety of devices/price points. It isn't surprising that the platform has a larger userbase. It just makes mathematical sense.

What I appreciate about the IPhone platform, is I know what i'm getting. I know what the UI is. There isn't any manufacturer specific BS (just apple's BS). When you ask me what android is, i don't really have an answer.

Which is why I think android fans like the platform I think. they like the customizability.

DonDraper

Banned
Of course the credit card I preordered the 6s on AT&T at midnight for my upgrade was part of the Home Depot breach and Chase is sending me a new one although they said I can continue using the old one.

Sent them a message saying if I can just keep using the old one until I activate the new one.

The concerning part is AT&T's pending charges no longer appear on that credit card and aren't regular charges either.

Anyone else see their AT&T's pending leave their card(s)?

Yeah, ATT's pending left my card a few days ago. I just assumed the first time was like a pre-auth charge or something and that they'll charge it again after it shipped.

Android has a far greater variety of devices/price points. It isn't surprising that the platform has a larger userbase. It just makes mathematical sense.

What I appreciate about the IPhone platform, is I know what i'm getting. I know what the UI is. There isn't any manufacturer specific BS (just apple's BS). When you ask me what android is, i don't really have an answer.

Which is why I think android fans like the platform I think. they like the customizability.

I'm not making an argument pro or against Android. Just debunking myths used to attack the platform. There are any number of reasons why people prefer iOS. There are also any number of reasons why people prefer Android.

I'd start a separate thread on the issue but we all know that it would be an exercise in futility as fanboys on both sides would reduce any attempt at debate into shouting matches based on misguided tropes and narratives used to justify their own point of view. When it comes to smartphones, objectivity tends to fly out the window.

BearPawB

Banned
I'm not making an argument pro or against Android. Just debunking myths used to attack the platform. There are any number of reasons why people prefer iOS. There are also any number of reasons why people prefer Android.

I'd start a separate thread on the issue but we all know that it would be an exercise in futility as fanboys on both sides would reduce any attempt at debate into shouting matches based on misguided tropes and narratives used to justify their own point of view. When it comes to smartphones, objectivity tends to fly out the window.

Yeah, it has gotten fairly ridiculous. But as gamers we should be used to it.
It is no different than Sony vs Microsoft. Everyone just wants to fell justified in their purchasing choices. Or feel that they chose the "BEST"

Yeah, it has gotten fairly ridiculous. But as gamers we should be used to it.
It is no different than Sony vs Microsoft. Everyone just wants to fell justified in their purchasing choices. Or feel that they chose the "BEST"
Funny you say that because Nintendo would be instantly likened to Windows 8 mobile.

I agree that the whole Android ios debate is boring. They both do some pretty great things for different kinds of people.

Namikaze

Yes, from the apple website. Damn.

My iP6 order says the same on apple's site but after logging in to UPS mychoice, I could access the tracking number for it, it's supposedly going to arrive this Friday so I held it for a will call. Not sure how the tracking number showed up on my account though, lol.

Arlen777

Hey guys i am really confused, is T-mobile contract-free iphone is Unlocked? Apple employee told me no, but it is priced as unlocked phone. Also i see a lot of people sell Unlocked phones on ebay, how is that?

Xamdou

So my order status item and shipping status are Preparing to Ship but the Ship date shows: 11/09/14 - 11/27/14...

Will there be a chance to get it at launch?

Does IOS have something like google now?

Really??

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/20/android_windows_phone_bosses_downplay_apples_siri_threat

Rubin, who currently serves as Google's senior vice president of mobile, said in an interview on Wednesday that he doesn't "believe that your phone should be an assistant.”

“Your phone is a tool for communicating. You shouldn’t be communicating with the phone; you should be communicating with somebody on the other side of the phone,” he added.

Bgamer90

Banned
So, was told that if you ordered via AT&T and don't get an email with a tracking number by tomorrow then don't expect the phone to come on Friday.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
The age of the larger phones are upon us, and Apple, as usual, is not leading the charge. Keeping true to the running theme, Apple's new iPhone 6 and 6+ are not the first to offer many of the new features being offered. Big HD screens and NFC payments have long been part of the competition. How does Apple's new lot compare to last year's model, and how does it stand against the competition?

An updated design and some modestly updated internals and camera, this year's iPhone is less about what's inside and more about what's outside.

The Exterior
Outside we have a new set of screens, with a 4.7" screen on the iPhone 6, and a 5.5" screen on the iPhone 6 Plus. Along with these new bigger screens, we get thinner phones to boot. The iPhone 6 runs at a stickly 6.9mm, and it's bigger brother the 6 Plus at smidge thicker at 7.1mm...this is a 10% and 7% reduction to the thickness. On paper this seems paltry, but I assure you that these thinner phones with their rounded edges feel great in your hand. True to Apple form, these phones just feel like a premium product.

Updated screens mean updated resolutions, and here we have a 1334 x 750 (326 PPI) iPhone 6, with a 1920 x 1080 (401 PPI) iPhone 6 Plus. In yet another game of catchup, Apple's new phones have finally entered the HD era. These screens are rocking what is called dual-domain pixels, which increases the viewing angles. You can look at your new phone from above, below, side to side and everything looks a good as ever. The screen's colors pop more, appear sharper and can be viewed from more extreme angles. The screens themselves, between the increased physical size and increased resolutions, are the stars of this generations iPhones.

Tracing further on the outside, we bump into the new protruding camera lenses and it's partner TrueTone flash. In what will forever be debated as "The thing that Jobs would never have let through", the camera update this year is just an updated sensor in both phones. In our experience with pictures, images looked just a hair sharper and a bit more clear in low light scenarios. Blemish to the back panel aside, the camera on these phones are still some of the best on the market, even if the specs don't show it. New to the iPhone 6 Plus only is Optical Image Stabilization, which help correct any movement done by the holder of the phone while taking pictures. This feature won't magically let you shake your phone wildly and still capture those precious moments with clarity, but in our tests the images taken by the 6 Plus were more often just that much clearer than it's iPhone 6 counterpart. A nice touch, but a confusing omission from the iPhone 6. You can already hear the keynote next year: "And now, coming to the iPhone 6S..." Fortunately when you lay the phone on it's back, the protruding lens doesn't seem to impede the feel of laying flat, and your phone won't noticeably rock back and forth to the touch.

The other item of much ire on the outside, and our last stop on this exterior tour, is the new bold antenna stripes acting as the header and footer to the back of these devices. There's no way to say this other than to say it: These new bars are not going to win any design contests. In combination with the updated carrier band support, however, both of these phones do very well getting signal on the go. In our testing we continuously were able to meet, and in a few instances exceed, the signal strength of other top competitors. Most people will only ever see these after opening the phone, and immediately cover it with a case, never to be seen again. If you opt for a naked device, hopefully you'll learn to love your new antenna stripes! "But my reception is great...!"

The Interior
With an A8 dual-core, 64-bit processor, Apple is boasting that users should see roughly a 25% increase in performance with this chipset for CPU and 50% increase on GPU compared to the current 5S. This is a less of an increase than models in the past (typically jumping by at least 2x historically), and because of this the phones largely feel exactly like the 5S in terms of performance.

Paired with this A8 is the newly minted M8 coprocessor, Apple's brain in charge of monitoring your movement, now adds a barometer to it's bag of tricks.

After much mystery online, we can confirm your worst fears as well: both iPhone models only have the same 1GB of RAM that it's predecessors have had. This stunning "hold your ground" stance by Apple is hard to swallow in the shadow of rival phones having 2GB and 3GB, especially considering how inconsequential the cost of RAM in these phones. It would have cost Apple $11 per phone for an extra GB of RAM using last years prices (which are probably even cheaper today), a small sum for a company with profit margins this large. While Apple does typically get more out of their hardware than their spec sheet would imply, having yet another year with only 1GB or RAM just wreaks of greed. As our tests will show, not all is well in the land of the 1GB iPhone in 2014.

Rounding out the last major item inside the new iPhones is the inclusion of NFC, to be used hand in hand with the newly introduced Apple Pay.

A modest upgrade in the A8, altitude tracking in the new M8, and the same amount of RAM...the spec sheet for these new iPhone's don't scream off the page. Our tests below will show you how this translates against the high resolution pixel pushing these devices require.

Also included in the iPhone 6 Plus is 2915 mAh battery, which pumps up the life of a charge from 20% to 220% depending on the activity. Obviously the big phone has more space for a big battery, but it's a shame that the iPhone 6 didn't see at least some significant change in this regard. Battery performance of the iPhone 6 is roughly on par (though slightly improved) over the 5S. Make sure to have your chargers handy if you aren't opting for the Plus model!

iOS 8
With the new iPhones comes iOS8. If we had to sum up this new release of iOS, it would be unification. Everything that Apple's been including over the years in iOS and on the Mac is all starting to work together in ways the truly do change the way you will use your devices (assuming you have more Apple products than just your phone!)

Starting things off is the new Continuity feature, and it's a game changer. Get a call on your iPhone? Pick it up and talk to them over your Mac. Editing a document on your iPad? Pick it up on your iPhone as you run out the door to make those final tweaks. With the introduction of Continuity, it feels more than ever that all of your Apple products are working in concert to make your life just that much better. I can't tell you how many times I've shed a tear over my personal iPhone 5S running iOS7 ringing across the room and my Macbook not picking it up now that I've experienced Continuity. It's scary how quickly it becomes an expectation of your everyday use, and it's a slum dunk feature.

The next major inclusion is the ability for applications to use Extensions. This enables a developer to extend (get it?!) the functionality of their application and push it into other applications. A notable example of this would be the popular password management software called 1Password. Before you had to always open up the 1Password application if you needed to fish out whatever password you needed for that webpage you're on. With Extensions, there is simply an icon you can press which opens a 1Password extension in Safari, allowing you to retrieve your password without ever having to leave the browser. The possibilities for this are endless, and we're excited to see where developers take this. Unfortunately at the time of this review, there are no major applications we can test this with.

Beyond these two tent-pole features, you can now send voice messages over iMessage, track your fitness and health data in Healthkit, add widgets to your notification center, install 3rd party keyboards and use Touch ID in applications to authenticate instead of using a password.

The last major addition to the lineup is the new Apple Pay service. By adding your credit and debit card information on the iPhone's Passbook, you can now pay at any NFC enabled retailer with the simple press of your finger on the Touch ID sensor. This feature isn't going to be activated at retailers until early October, however our experience at Apple's press event last week proved that it was a quick and seamless way to pay for things and a great step up from having to manually swipe a card.

iOS 8 really improves the day to day use of your devices, and we haven't even seen what developers can do with these updated tools. We have high expectations for what's to come!

Fortunately for people not upgrading to the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, you can install iOS8 on your 5S starting tomorrow and get all the benefits!

The Tests
Our Geekbench results showed a 1633 on the single-core and a 2920 on the multi-core tests. This is just about exactly a 25% increase in performance over last year 5S, and a very thin update in this bigger beefier phones.

What's disappointing with these results is really what the real-world performance hit becomes when you're dealing with the new screen sizes of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Pushing around significantly more pixels doesn't come for free, and basically any gains provided by the updated A8 chip are sucked up just by the new screens. At the end of the day using an iPhone 6 feels just like using an iPhone 5S...with a bigger screen. While this certainly isn't the end of the world, we can't help but be disappointed that with all the new real-estate inside these phones that Apple didn't find a way to push the performance to a higher level.

Things take a slightly more frustrating turn when dealing with the iPhone 6 Plus, which is pushing more than double the total pixels of it's new iPhone 6 counterpart. During normal activities like browsing the web or reading your email or watching a video, there is no difference between the devices. The problem is going to be when heavy applications like video editing or games try and wrestle with the 6 Plus. Games specifically will almost certainly not attempt to run at native 1080p, but even running a game meant for the 1335 x 750 resolution screen of the iPhone 6 feels tangibly worse on the iPhone 6 Plus. We were hoping that an upclocked version of the A8 may have made it into the 6 Plus, but instead we're left with our phones gasping to keep up with their more nimble iPhone 6 brethren.

The performance gap between the iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6 will only truly be felt by those who are much more seasoned with iPhone usage or running heavy applications, but that Apple didn't do something to make the experiences on these two devices the same feels like yet another odd compromise that was made to get these phones on the market...which leads us to:

The conclusion
In what can only be called the generation of compromises, consumers are left with the hardest choice they've had to make if they are looking to get the new iPhone:

- Do they want a phone with a gigantic screen or one with a less gigantic screen?
- If they don't want a big screen are they OK with less battery life?
- Is getting the increased battery life and screen size worth taking a hit in performance?
- Will you hate yourself if you take a blurry photo with the iPhone 6 which would have been clearer on the 6 Plus?
- Can anyone live with those fucking antenna bars?!?

If you're in the market for an upgrade and have your eyes set on an iPhone, make no mistake that you can't go wrong with either the iPhone 6 or the iPhone 6 Plus. Whichever device suits you will be a great device. It will feel great. It will run great software.

If you put a gun to our head and asked us if we'd say the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus is a significant upgrade to the 5S...we'd be hard pressed to say yes.

These phones are a great evolutionary step from the 5S before it, but unfortunately the majority of the great features coming with the new phones comes in the form of iOS8, which can be installed on the 5S should you already have one.

While the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will remain at the top of the smartphone charts and continue to keep Apple at the forefront of industry...we're left asking ourselves "what if"...

Final Score: 8.5

Top Bottom