• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Anyone else have their phones hard crash/restart way too often? like its happened at least 3-4 times a week always from trying to multitask.

latest iOS version, not jailbroken.

Restart your phone.

Reinstall the OS, don't restore from backup (setup as a new phone).

If still problems, Apple Store.

Corgi

Banned
How do your Magpul's hold up? I've used them for a couple years now, I usually have to order a new case ever 8-10 months because they start to stretch. Otherwise they are a fantastic case, slides out of the pocket but won't leave your hand. They are more of a guy case though, my wife hates it.

I started with an iPhone 2g and I can't remember ever seeing a phone crash to the point that it restarted. I'd check which apps are up when it happens, are any of them new enough to coincide with the start of this behavior? Maybe something that updated recently? If it were my phone I would try to identify a couple possible problem apps, delete them, make sure I have a full backup and factory restore it, reload your backup. I've done that a few times and it tends to clear space and improve the heath of the device each time I do it. To bad there are not really any diagnostic logs to look though.

Well the magpul just recently came out so I don't know long term usages. Still like the best protective slim case around though. Especially at that price.

Restart your phone.

Reinstall the OS, don't restore from backup (setup as a new phone).

If still problems, Apple Store.
Yeah. Has this issue before. Have this issue still after doing all that too.

Vyer

Well the magpul just recently came out so I don't know long term usages. Still like the best protective slim case around though. Especially at that price.

Yeah. Has this issue before. Have this issue still after doing all that too.

What did they do at the Apple Store?

The phone keeps a crash log. If you've already tried the reload before you took it in the first time then this time just take it in. That way they can see the log.

Corgi

Banned
What did they do at the Apple Store?

The phone keeps a crash log. If you've already tried the reload before you took it in the first time then this time just take it in. That way they can see the log.
they told me to reformat it (thats about the only things those 'geniuses' ever recommend).

fresh setup not from backup. Hasn't bothered me much and i'm not the only one that is bitching about how unstable ios 8.1 is on 6+.

I just noticed that the home screen icons move slightly when tilting your phone on top of your background wallpaper.gives a cool 3d effect that I haven't seen since my zune HD

Have you tried the Apple leather case? It's actually quite slim, plus it ages well and looks fantastic.
I haven't tried it but I'm also not interested in paying AU$60 for one. I was going to get a folio style case but the thing is big enough as it is so I might just get one of those Incipio slimline ones and a screen film then call it a day.

Vyer

they told me to reformat it (thats about the only things those 'geniuses' ever recommend).

fresh setup not from backup. Hasn't bothered me much and i'm not the only one that is bitching about how unstable ios 8.1 is on 6+.

If you go back and they see the crash log and you've already been in the system for crashes they will more than likely switch out the phone for you

mrkgoo

It's standard procedure to separate software issues from hardware.

Start off with soft resets, working up to full blown reinstall OS and factory new. If any issues from there it's more likely there's a hardware component to the issue. Not necessarily borked hardware but an indication. (For example maybe some driver bug in the os is not optimised for a particular hardware component causing crashes).

McLovin

Been a long time android guy, but my s4 broke me(financially, it constantly cracked, even in my pocket) soured on the whole experience I switched and got a 6+. Phones great but I kind of wish I got the regular 6, the + is too big and reaching icons with the same hand your holding the phone can be hard to impossible sometimes. But I'll get use to that. I really really really wish there was a back button. I'm sure I'll figure out what pinch or swipe I have to do to go back when there is now back arrow eventually. For right now I back out of the app and reset it lol.

Talon

Been a long time android guy, but my s4 broke me(financially, it constantly cracked, even in my pocket) soured on the whole experience I switched and got a 6+. Phones great but I kind of wish I got the regular 6, the + is too big and reaching icons with the same hand your holding the phone can be hard to impossible sometimes. But I'll get use to that. I really really really wish there was a back button. I'm sure I'll figure out what pinch or swipe I have to do to go back when there is now back arrow eventually. For right now I back out of the app and reset it lol.
Swipe from the left edge towards the right.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking I want to buy a Bluetooth keyboafd for my iPhone. Like a full on desktop keyboard. Is there any cool minimalist stand or clip that will hold the phone on the keyboard?

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm thinking I want to buy a Bluetooth keyboafd for my iPhone. Like a full on desktop keyboard. Is there any cool minimalist stand or clip that will hold the phone on the keyboard?

If you're getting the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard then check out wingstand
koL4MJS.jpg

am_dragon

YMMV; however my experience with a bluetooth keyboard for phone or tablet is as follows:
- There is no mouse so the experiences is type, touch, type, touch.
- I remember edits being a big frustration point.
- The apps that do have great keyboard integration all do things in slightly different ways, and it tends to be frustrating if you switch between a few different apps.
- There were very few opportunities where I had the keyboard, had a surface to set up on, and didn't have a laptop or computer handy that could do the job faster and better.

It seems great on paper, but for me it fell flat in practice.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Logitech K480.
That's actually nice but I'm gonna get the apple one because I already use that keyboard on my PC only it's wired. I don't want to get used to new keys.
I mean something like that aluminum clip that holds the magic trackpad to the keyboard only for an iPhone 6+

Edit: ha greyface already posted what I meant. Just didn't see it because I didn't scroll up! Thanks bud!

McLovin

Not universal. Doesn't work across apps and not in all apps

practically at this point. most of Apple's stuff and I find most of the 3rd party apps I use have it integrated.
Getting the hang of it now. I miss being able to swipe left to txt and right to talk on in the recent calls list, but other then that I like how everything fits together. Also Apple doesn't get nearly enough credit on their battery tech. Charge times and standby times are very impressive.

am_dragon

My iPhone 6 should be here today. I want to start with a fresh install and not load a backup from the previous phone. I'm also interested in wiping out my iTunes install also.

Most of my content is streamed and there are only a few instances where I need to sync with iTunes now, and I want to clean out a bunch of legacy garbage from both my desktop and phone.

Is there a guide for starting over, and keeping the backup of the current phone, just in case? Should I just wipe it all out and start over? I don't use iCloud.

I only use iTunes in 2 instances now, and it's such a pain every time I use it (compared to the rest of my experiences with iPhones). First to backup the phone, kinda painless unless, OS / iTunes has been updated then who knows. Second I will occasionally get an audio book from the library I'll rip and encode to m4b and that has to be moved to the phone via a sync.

tr4656

This is not exactly an iPhone question but if I want to use a mechanical keyboard with my iPad is the best option the Lightning to Camera Adapter? Also, are there any bluetooth mechanical keyboards even out there?

My iPhone 6 should be here today. I want to start with a fresh install and not load a backup from the previous phone. I'm also interested in wiping out my iTunes install also.

Most of my content is streamed and there are only a few instances where I need to sync with iTunes now, and I want to clean out a bunch of legacy garbage from both my desktop and phone.

Is there a guide for starting over, and keeping the backup of the current phone, just in case? Should I just wipe it all out and start over? I don't use iCloud.

I only use iTunes in 2 instances now, and it's such a pain every time I use it (compared to the rest of my experiences with iPhones). First to backup the phone, kinda painless unless, OS / iTunes has been updated then who knows. Second I will occasionally get an audio book from the library I'll rip and encode to m4b and that has to be moved to the phone via a sync.

If you don't use iCloud and such, just wipe and start over. As for iTunes, I'm more or less in the same situation as you. I only use it to back up my phone and to add some music to it. I honestly wish that Apple would split up iTunes into two programs - Music and Phone Utility or something where you would have one solely for adding/backing up to iTunes and the other for playing music.

This isn't entirely related to the topic, but I'm having an incredibly weird issue with my 5s: the blue screen of death. The problem is so bad that my computer won't even let me restore my iPhone from recovery mode. Am I fucked?

Quick

Banned
Just picked up an iPhone 6, and the mute switch feels loose. I'm making an appointment to get it looked at soon, but I was wondering if this is a common issue.

Quick

Banned
What do you mean by loose?

It doesn't feel like it clicks in place when I move the switch. I was at the movies yesterday and my phone rang (thankfully during the advertising before trailers) because it didn't actually mute when I had the switch in place.

Futureman

my iPhone 5C just won't charge anymore. Plugging the lightning cable in does nothing. Before I could jiggle it around for a bit and eventually it would connect and charge but now nothing.

I bought the phone in June 2014 from a Verizon store.

what is recommended? Should I just go to an Apple Store and see if they will help me first?

edit: well I just finally got it to connect but it takes longer everytime it seems like.

Husker86

my iPhone 5C just won't charge anymore. Plugging the lightning cable in does nothing. Before I could jiggle it around for a bit and eventually it would connect and charge but now nothing.

I bought the phone in June 2014 from a Verizon store.

what is recommended? Should I just go to an Apple Store and see if they will help me first?

edit: well I just finally got it to connect but it takes longer everytime it seems like.

Apple store. You're under warranty, they'll get you a new phone.

Futureman

does this seem typical at all of iPhones? It's literally the main reason I switched from Android as the USB cable wouldn't connect after about a year on my Galaxy Nexus.

edit: well I just set up an appointment at an Apple Store after work. Hopefully they just switch it out for a new phone.

Vyer

does this seem typical at all of iPhones? It's literally the main reason I switched from Android as the USB cable wouldn't connect after about a year on my Galaxy Nexus.

edit: well I just set up an appointment at an Apple Store after work. Hopefully they just switch it out for a new phone.

I've had a cable fray and stop working before, but not the actual port on the phone (without water damage anyway).

maybe the phone isn't the issue?

Tarkus

On the 6 plus, Safari feels a good bit snapper. I've been trying to crash it with the most gif-heavy threads and have only been successful once. CNN.com used to crash Safari almost 100% of the time for me. Now, it has been flawless. Things are looking good so far.

am_dragon

I've used Magpul cases for a while, one problem I've had is that the case tends to stretch in the corners for me eventually leading to the case becoming loose.

I contacted Magpul and asked them about this. the response is that they had seen the problem, and not everyone experiences it. They offered a replacement. I told them I was wondering because I got a new phone and was hoping for a solution to the problem before ordering the case. They are sending me a iPhone 6 case. I didn't expect that, and wanted to share a good service experience.

dhonk

Kind of pissed there the Taktik 360 still isn't out for this thing, my contract is up and Im looking to get an iPhone 6 with a nice rugged case. Taktik 360 fits the bill but fuuuuuck.

Lifeproof is so junk looking / feeling. Anyone have any suggestions? Doesn't have to be waterproof but its a plus. I think I've looked at everything...

alterno69

Banned
Finally upgraded my 5 to a 6+

Never thought i'd go for a huge phone but being a photographer and using my phone to edit my pics on the go made it the better choice. I have to say i was having second thoughts the first couple of hours with it but after a full weekend with it i'm in love.

It's just fucking awesome having so much screen with me all the time and it fits just right in my pocket, even when i wear tight pants.
I still use my 5 and it feels tiny in my hands now.

Amazing phone and i'm loving the great battery life too.

Internets

So is there a way to disable the Favorites menu popping up with you open up the Safari bookmarks? When you open up a new tab in Safari by pressing the + button, it always shows the Favorites menu, and I want it to just go straight to the bookmarks. Can I do that? When I go to the Settings->Safari->Favorites, and I tap the Favorites button, nothing happens.

Korosenai

Welp, my screen is messed up. Just noticed it for the first time earlier, but the top left part of my phone makes a popping noise everytime I squeeze it between my fingers... Really annoying. Would I be able to get a replacement phone? Or is there anyway they could fix this?

mrkgoo

Welp, my screen is messed up. Just noticed it for the first time earlier, but the top left part of my phone makes a popping noise everytime I squeeze it between my fingers... Really annoying. Would I be able to get a replacement phone? Or is there anyway they could fix this?

Is the screen itself slightly lifted? It sounds like an adhesive has come loose such that when you press it pops off again.

Being probably cosmetic it's a toss up whether apple would consider it warrantable. Just check with them.

mrkgoo

This may be the wrong thread, but my wife dropped and shattered her iPhone 5 screen.

So what's te best strategy? Pay for a replacement iPhone 5 as an apple repair? Upgrade the phone to a 5S? To an iphone 6?

Paying for a repair feels stink to me because it's like you lose several hundred dollars just to get back to where you were, where's at least upgrading it would've cost that much anyway.

Pity is she doesn't really like the 6....
Another option is I give her my iPhone 5, and I upgrade. I don't much like the 6 either... And these phones are so expensive ... Kind of out our budget.... Not impossible, but obviously unwanted cost.

Blackhead

Redarse
This may be the wrong thread, but my wife dropped and shattered her iPhone 5 screen.

So what's te best strategy? Pay for a replacement iPhone 5 as an apple repair? Upgrade the phone to a 5S? To an iphone 6?

Paying for a repair feels stink to me because it's like you lose several hundred dollars just to get back to where you were, where's at least upgrading it would've cost that much anyway.

Pity is she doesn't really like the 6....
Another option is I give her my iPhone 5, and I upgrade. I don't much like the 6 either... And these phones are so expensive ... Kind of out our budget.... Not impossible, but obviously unwanted cost.
No AppleCare/Insurance?

I presume you two aren't on a carrier contract and have no intention of signing up for one?

mrkgoo

No AppleCare/Insurance?

I presume you two aren't on a carrier contract and have no intention of signing up for one?

a repair is the cheapest option.
neither of you likes the newest model.

get it fixed.

Yah, possibly insurance, but if it's close to the deductible, it's probably not worth it. Repair is half the cost of closest 5S model is the thing. Limited warranty etc.

A friend suggests to go to a non-authorised service provider who would fit a random screen for cheap, but I just don't want the hassle of a crap job, unofficial parts etc.

Top Bottom