• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just got my iPhone 6 plus. God damn, it's way too big to comfortably hold. But when I use my old 5s I can only laugh at how ridiculously tiny it feels. How did I read anything on that thing?

Had exactly the same feeling after switching from the 4S to the 6.
I gave it to my mother and every time I see it I cant believe I was able to use such a small phone.

SeanR1221

I finally enabled the photo library (since the mac version is launching soon)

My question is, with that enabled, whats the button that says "Upload to my photo stream" do? They're both on, but obviously I don't have a photo stream anymore.

bananas

Banned
I finally enabled the photo library (since the mac version is launching soon)

My question is, with that enabled, whats the button that says "Upload to my photo stream" do? They're both on, but obviously I don't have a photo stream anymore.
Photo Stream is the service that stores the last 1000 photos on your iPhone/iPad so you can sync your photos between devices. It's not meant to be a permanent cloud storage solution and doesn't count towards your storage. iCloud Photo Library is straight up storing your photos in the cloud and does use up your storage.

SeanR1221

Photo Stream is the service that stores the last 1000 photos on your iPhone/iPad so you can sync your photos between devices. It's not meant to be a permanent cloud storage solution and doesn't count towards your storage. iCloud Photo Library is straight up storing your photos in the cloud and does use up your storage.

Right. So what's the point of having them both on? Doesn't the iCloud library cancel out photo stream?

Erebus

This may or may not have been answered before but what's the best way to export slow-motion videos?

If I'm not mistaken when you simply upload a slow-mo video to Dropbox for example, it'll just play at regular speed on PC or other devices.

joelseph

Can someone recommend a screen replacement seller? Prefer Amazon Prime. I have a iPhone 5 with a cracked screen and I would like to do the repair myself.

FerranMG

This may or may not have been answered before but what's the best way to export slow-motion videos?

If I'm not mistaken when you simply upload a slow-mo video to Dropbox for example, it'll just play at regular speed on PC or other devices.

I've used two apps to do this: TruSloMo and Slow Fast.
It sucks that there isn't a standard way to do it.

mitheor

I´m doing it with iMovie.

Majine

Banned
I noticed that sometimes when I apply pressure on the upper part of the phone, I get a popping noise as I let go, like there is an air gap behind the display or something. Anyone else have the same?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed that sometimes when I apply pressure on the upper part of the phone, I get a popping noise as I let go, like there is an air gap behind the display or something. Anyone else have the same?
Yes I have this! Everytime I go to make an appointment to get it swapped out it suddenly becomes non notice able for a few days.

Mine is on the right sized center. I think it has something to do with body warp.

mrkgoo

Yes I have this! Everytime I go to make an appointment to get it swapped out it suddenly becomes non notice able for a few days.

Mine is on the right sized center. I think it has something to do with body warp.

DOes it feel like tape sticking then detaching? My 3G did this.

Blackhead

Redarse
The New Yorker said:
The Apple Watch is designed to remain dark until a wearer raises his or her arm. In the prototypes worn around the Cupertino campus at the end of last year, this feature was still glitchy. For Marc Newson, it took three attempts—an escalation of acting styles, from naturalism to melodrama—before his screen came to life. Under normal circumstances, the screen will then show one of nine watch faces, each customizable. One will show the time alongside a brightly lit flower, butterfly, or jellyfish; these will be in motion, against a black background. This imagery had dominated the launch, and Ive now explained his enthusiasm for it. He picked up his iPhone 6 and pressed the home button. “The whole of the display comes on,” he said. “That, to me, feels very, very old.” (The iPhone 6 reached stores two weeks later.) He went on to explain that an Apple Watch uses a new display technology whose blacks are blacker than those in an iPhone’s L.E.D. display. This makes it easier to mask the point where, beneath a glass surface, a display ends and its frame begins. An Apple Watch jellyfish swims in deep space, and becomes, Ive said, as much an attribute of the watch as an image. On a current iPhone screen, a jellyfish would be pinned against dark gray, and framed in black, and, Ive said, have “much less magic.”

lol, Ive has discovered (am)oled. Placing bets of which future iPhone will incorporate this "new" technology ― perhaps along with wireless charging and splash proofness ― I say iPhone 8

tr4656

lol, Ive has discovered (am)oled. Placing bets of which future iPhone will incorporate this "new" technology ― perhaps along with wireless charging and splash proofness ― I say iPhone 8

Wireless charging doesn't work with metal. That's why HTC One don't have it either. Also, I really hope they don't put AMOLED.

Guys, I can get an iPhone 6, 6 Plus or Galaxy S5 et al for free and just wondering what the tl;dr consensus is between a 6 and a Plus? I handled a Plus today and it feels a bit too big at a first impression but I think I can probably get used to it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Guys, I can get an iPhone 6, 6 Plus or Galaxy S5 et al for free and just wondering what the tl;dr consensus is between a 6 and a Plus? I handled a Plus today and it feels a bit too big at a first impression but I think I can probably get used to it.

I've had a 6+ for a couple of weeks on loan from work. It is big, but fits in my jeans pocket ok. If you use your phone as a phone a lot, it might be too big to use comfortably. But if you use it more for email, web browsing etc, then the increased screen size can make it very comfortable to use. I found myself hardly using my ipad air because the 6+ was large enough to browse easily.

Pooya

You'll get used to the size. Size wasn't a problem for me as I was using big phone before it. It might be too big at first, but the great battery life alone is well worth it. I would get 6+ unless you have really small hands.

Husker86

Using my iPhone again today and am reminded how annoying it is that I can't change the Mobile Hotspot SSID...

edit: Oh, you can change the phone's name in iTunes which will change the SSID. I suppose I can live with that.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Using my iPhone again today and am reminded how annoying it is that I can't change the Mobile Hotspot SSID...

edit: Oh, you can change the phone's name in iTunes which will change the SSID. I suppose I can live with that.

You don't even need iTunes. On your phone go to Settings>General>About>Name.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Just wanted to chime in and say how much I'm loving my iPhone 6. Jumped ship from a Nexus 5 which had terrible battery life and a broken power button. I'm in heaven with this phone. iOS 8 is so fast and responsive. Apple's attention to detail both on the hardware and software side is incredible. I'm loving Touch ID, I'll never be able to go back to a phone without it.

tmdorsey

Just wanted to chime in and say how much I'm loving my iPhone 6. Jumped ship from a Nexus 5 which had terrible battery life and a broken power button. I'm in heaven with this phone. iOS 8 is so fast and responsive. Apple's attention to detail both on the hardware and software side is incredible. I'm loving Touch ID, I'll never be able to go back to a phone without it.

I too have no complaints and I'm pretty happy with mine. Coming from an iPhone 5 with no Touch ID to the 6 with it and the enhancements they've made to it is awesome. It's so intuitive and works so well for me it's crazy. I don't think I could switch to another phone that doesn't have it or a better implementation.

Chromax

I just failed getting into my phone with the touchID several times. I restarted and it worked fine twice then stopped working again. Is this a common problem?

I fixed it for now by deleting the old ID and setting it up again.

Husker86

Are third party keyboard issues still a thing or is it just SwiftKey? This is ridiculous. I am getting the same "keyboard won't open" bug that I was getting when the feature first came out.

tr4656

I just failed getting into my phone with the touchID several times. I restarted and it worked fine twice then stopped working again. Is this a common problem?

I fixed it for now by deleting the old ID and setting it up again.
Never occurred to me.
Are third party keyboard issues still a thing or is it just SwiftKey? This is ridiculous. I am getting the same "keyboard won't open" bug that I was getting when the feature first came out.
I only use Text Expander and Emoji++ but neither of these have problem opening.

Husker86

Never occurred to me.

I only use Text Expander and Emoji++ but neither of these have problem opening.
Do you use either of those as your main keyboard? I only have the issue sometimes when it's the first keyboard to open, I don't think I ever have that problem when I'm just switching to it.

Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll try out Swype even though I really like SwiftKey.

tr4656

Do you use either of those as your main keyboard? I only have the issue sometimes when it's the first keyboard to open, I don't think I ever have that problem when I'm just switching to it.

Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll try out Swype even though I really like SwiftKey.

Oh, it's generally not the first keyboard to open.

So I got my 6+. It's very big. :/ I need to get a case and screen protector now but all of the ones I've seen in bricks and mortars are shit and look and feel like a foot locker in my hand.

ultra7k

So I got my 6+. It's very big. :/ I need to get a case and screen protector now but all of the ones I've seen in bricks and mortars are shit and look and feel like a foot locker in my hand.

Have you tried the Apple leather case? It's actually quite slim, plus it ages well and looks fantastic.

am_dragon

Came in here because I'm looking to upgrade in the next couple days. I have a iPhone 5 and my wife has a 4s. Right now I'm leaning towards 2 iPhone 6's. I'm really interested in the plus, I'm kinda ocd about stuff like this so I'm going back and forth (My wife just says I'm crazy). I'm 6'6" and have pretty big hands, I could use the plus one handed without much trouble. On the other hand (ba dum bum) I'm a systems administrator, most of the time my laptop is right there. I take notes on my phone, do some light reading, and gaming. I'm not sure those things warrant the extra money.

I've read thought a bunch of this thread (the post release parts anyway). I'm still not sure about a case, I typically use the Magpul cases, but since I'm an AT&T employee I can get the Apple leather case for $20. Worth it? It looks really nice, how is the grip?

ultra7k

Came in here because I'm looking to upgrade in the next couple days. I have a iPhone 5 and my wife has a 4s. Right now I'm leaning towards 2 iPhone 6's. I'm really interested in the plus, I'm kinda ocd about stuff like this so I'm going back and forth (My wife just says I'm crazy). I'm 6'6" and have pretty big hands, I could use the plus one handed without much trouble. On the other hand (ba dum bum) I'm a systems administrator, most of the time my laptop is right there. I take notes on my phone, do some light reading, and gaming. I'm not sure those things warrant the extra money.

I've read thought a bunch of this thread (the post release parts anyway). I'm still not sure about a case, I typically use the Magpul cases, but since I'm an AT&T employee I can get the Apple leather case for $20. Worth it? It looks really nice, how is the grip?

I've used the Apple leather case on the 5s and the 6, the grip is just right. It doesn't really slip out of your hands, and it isn't a pain to put in and take out of your pocket. I think the silicon cases that Apple makes tend to have an issue with becoming too grippy over time (so says my brother at least) but I've never had that problem with any of the leather cases I've owned.

I myself have a 6, and despite the fact that I would have to use the 6+ with two hands, I kind of wish in retrospect that I'd opted for the larger option because it's actually pretty awesome in every respect. The only thing the 6 has over the plus is the portability factor. I know almost without a doubt that my next phone will likely be the plus version.

Corgi

Banned

magpul 6 case is fantastic. and the same price as $20.

Anyone else have their phones hard crash/restart way too often? like its happened at least 3-4 times a week always from trying to multitask.

latest iOS version, not jailbroken.

am_dragon

Anyone else have their phones hard crash/restart way too often? like its happened at least 3-4 times a week always from trying to multitask.

How do your Magpul's hold up? I've used them for a couple years now, I usually have to order a new case ever 8-10 months because they start to stretch. Otherwise they are a fantastic case, slides out of the pocket but won't leave your hand. They are more of a guy case though, my wife hates it.

I started with an iPhone 2g and I can't remember ever seeing a phone crash to the point that it restarted. I'd check which apps are up when it happens, are any of them new enough to coincide with the start of this behavior? Maybe something that updated recently? If it were my phone I would try to identify a couple possible problem apps, delete them, make sure I have a full backup and factory restore it, reload your backup. I've done that a few times and it tends to clear space and improve the heath of the device each time I do it. To bad there are not really any diagnostic logs to look though.

Can you stop by an Apple Store and get your hands on a display model? If so I'd do it. The 6 Plus is BIG. I have the regular 6, and it's still a bit big for my liking. I don't have big hands at all though.

tr4656

Haven't seen a crash in so long.

Top Bottom