• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I should preface this by saying my 6 is slightly bent somehow so I don't know if this would affect anything.

My iPhone 6 is constantly only getting 1-2 "bars" at home and major metropolitan areas. I don't remember it being this constantly low. I get complaints now that I am hard to hear.

tr4656

I should preface this by saying my 6 is slightly bent somehow so I don't know if this would affect anything.

My iPhone 6 is constantly only getting 1-2 "bars" at home and major metropolitan areas. I don't remember it being this constantly low. I get complaints now that I am hard to hear.

How is it bent

Blackhead

Redarse
Yah, possibly insurance, but if it's close to the deductible, it's probably not worth it. Repair is half the cost of closest 5S model is the thing. Limited warranty etc.

A friend suggests to go to a non-authorised service provider who would fit a random screen for cheap, but I just don't want the hassle of a crap job, unofficial parts etc.

I agree; It's not worth paying that much to fix an old phone. If you were in the US, the broken phone might still have decent trade-in value, as down payment for a newer model, but that's a Faustian bargain even if available in NZ(?)

Don't worry too much that she/you don't like the 6; after a month you would not be able to switch back ;). The problem is it's quite expensive AND Apple recently raised prices in international markets (a bit ludicrous for a 6 month old phone... 'Cos of the strong USD? Oh please). There's a recent rumor that a new 4" model is coming in the fall so it might be worth waiting to see if that's something you want and if Apple drops the prices back down while they're at it.

In the meanwhile, how much damage did the iPhone take? Is it mostly cosmetic ('merely 'cracks across the screen) or is the underlying touchscreen and other components also broken. If the phone is still mostly functional, I'd suggest buying her an Apple Watch. The entry level is about the same price as a second hand iPhone 5s, it won't be superceded by a new model in 6 months *fingers crossed* and some early previews suggest it will greatly reduce the use of the paired iPhone so she won't be seeing that cracked screen very often. If it makes it easier justifying getting one for yourself too that's a bonus ;)

Vyer

This may be the wrong thread, but my wife dropped and shattered her iPhone 5 screen.

So what's te best strategy? Pay for a replacement iPhone 5 as an apple repair? Upgrade the phone to a 5S? To an iphone 6?

Paying for a repair feels stink to me because it's like you lose several hundred dollars just to get back to where you were, where's at least upgrading it would've cost that much anyway.

Pity is she doesn't really like the 6....
Another option is I give her my iPhone 5, and I upgrade. I don't much like the 6 either... And these phones are so expensive ... Kind of out our budget.... Not impossible, but obviously unwanted cost.

Where are you located?

In the US, iPhone 5 screen repairs are around $150 at the Apple Store IIRC. So I'm guessing you must be somewhere else if it's costing more than that.

Smaller repair shops around my area will do it for 80-100. There are some of those shops that will do a good job, though it won't be as 'perfect' as Apple would do. (Secondary market screens will be slightly heavier, or not quite as uniformly lit, etc. etc.)

From what I understand iPhone 5 screens aren't that hard to replace. Buying a kit off eBay would get you the same results as the local stores. You can buy them with or without the home button in the kit. (With would be easier if you are doing it yourself).

Some places like Swappa or Glyde might have used unlocked 5's for around 200.

All of these options would be considerably cheaper than buying a new phone.

go to an Apple store and get it swapped out.

mrkgoo

I agree; It's not worth paying that much to fix an old phone. If you were in the US, the broken phone might still have decent trade-in value, as down payment for a newer model, but that's a Faustian bargain even if available in NZ(?)

Don't worry too much that she/you don't like the 6; after a month you would not be able to switch back ;). The problem is it's quite expensive AND Apple recently raised prices in international markets (a bit ludicrous for a 6 month old phone... 'Cos of the strong USD? Oh please). There's a recent rumor that a new 4" model is coming in the fall so it might be worth waiting to see if that's something you want and if Apple drops the prices back down while they're at it.

In the meanwhile, how much damage did the iPhone take? Is it mostly cosmetic ('merely 'cracks across the screen) or is the underlying touchscreen and other components also broken. If the phone is still mostly functional, I'd suggest buying her an Apple Watch. The entry level is about the same price as a second hand iPhone 5s, it won't be superceded by a new model in 6 months *fingers crossed* and some early previews suggest it will greatly reduce the use of the paired iPhone so she won't be seeing that cracked screen very often. If it makes it easier justifying getting one for yourself too that's a bonus ;)

Where are you located?

In the US, iPhone 5 screen repairs are around $150 at the Apple Store IIRC. So I'm guessing you must be somewhere else if it's costing more than that.

Smaller repair shops around my area will do it for 80-100. There are some of those shops that will do a good job, though it won't be as 'perfect' as Apple would do. (Secondary market screens will be slightly heavier, or not quite as uniformly lit, etc. etc.)

From what I understand iPhone 5 screens aren't that hard to replace. Buying a kit off eBay would get you the same results as the local stores. You can buy them with or without the home button in the kit. (With would be easier if you are doing it yourself).

Some places like Swappa or Glyde might have used unlocked 5's for around 200.

All of these options would be considerably cheaper than buying a new phone.

Yeah thanks for the input. In NZ, we don't have apple stores and the authorised centres only do repairs by whole unit replacements, so it's costly.

Grey face, yeah don't like the iPhone 6 much but if it were me is just get that, because ultimately I know I'd get used to it. But my wife doesn't like it, and it's mor fragile ....

I'm leaning towards just getting a 5S.

Vyer

Yeah thanks for the input. In NZ, we don't have apple stores and the authorised centres only do repairs by whole unit replacements, so it's costly.

Grey face, yeah don't like the iPhone 6 much but if it were me is just get that, because ultimately I know I'd get used to it. But my wife doesn't like it, and it's mor fragile ....

I'm leaning towards just getting a 5S.

What don't you like about 6? Screen size?

mrkgoo

What don't you like about 6? Screen size?
Not so much that. I'd get used to that.

But partially. I do like the smaller form factor of the 5. It's just more pocketable and sort of a "forget about it" device. 6 is a bit more in your face. But not insurmountable. I could live with it.

The biggest beefs I have with the 6 are largely cosmetic.

I don't like the protruding camera.

The thinner I actually DO like in theory but in practice it means it's a bit more awkward to hold combined with size making it easier to drop (thin and wide means grip is less plus centre of mass is higher meaning thumb typing on one hand is less well-balanced).

The antenna line colour bugs me. White looks great on the gold iPhone. But the grey used for the space grey phone looks like a cheap plastic. Should have gone with black.

These issues are largely "solved" with a case, which I would get if I got a 6, but it would be the first time if use a case for an apple product. Not a big deal really, but I still acknowledge my dislikes and there isn't just one little thing, there are a few. And if there are many dislikes why should I go out of my way to get one?

My favourite iPhone design is the 5C. Hearing reports of a 4" 6C with perhaps 5S internals pleases me greatly.

Majine

Banned
That feeling when non-optimised apps update, they tout a new design but don't update the resolution. Does the 5S have to go away for you to move on? Geez.

SuperPac

That feeling when non-optimised apps update, they tout a new design but don't update the resolution. Does the 5S have to go away for you to move on? Geez.

Yeah - noticed that yesterday with the PlayStation app (is that what you're referring to?). New design! Still old resolution!

Vyer

Not so much that. I'd get used to that.

But partially. I do like the smaller form factor of the 5. It's just more pocketable and sort of a "forget about it" device. 6 is a bit more in your face. But not insurmountable. I could live with it.

The biggest beefs I have with the 6 are largely cosmetic.

I don't like the protruding camera.

The thinner I actually DO like in theory but in practice it means it's a bit more awkward to hold combined with size making it easier to drop (thin and wide means grip is less plus centre of mass is higher meaning thumb typing on one hand is less well-balanced).

The antenna line colour bugs me. White looks great on the gold iPhone. But the grey used for the space grey phone looks like a cheap plastic. Should have gone with black.

These issues are largely "solved" with a case, which I would get if I got a 6, but it would be the first time if use a case for an apple product. Not a big deal really, but I still acknowledge my dislikes and there isn't just one little thing, there are a few. And if there are many dislikes why should I go out of my way to get one?

My favourite iPhone design is the 5C. Hearing reports of a 4" 6C with perhaps 5S internals pleases me greatly.

ah yeah, I get that. I've always been a case user, but if you don't there are definitely some folks that find it a little too 'slippery'. I've always personally liked the aesthetics though, and the bands bothered me a lot less in person as opposed to the early pictures. I think it looks fantastic (i have white/silver) and while the 5/5S is still my favorite 'look' for the back of the phone I think overall the 6 is pretty close. rounded glass and clean look overall are really appealing to me.

Corgi

Banned
hmmm... have the iphone 6+ since launch. think starting pretty recently, the home button feels a bit loose. Like you can move it a little by pressing down on the button gently.

mrkgoo

ah yeah, I get that. I've always been a case user, but if you don't there are definitely some folks that find it a little too 'slippery'. I've always personally liked the aesthetics though, and the bands bothered me a lot less in person as opposed to the early pictures. I think it looks fantastic (i have white/silver) and while the 5/5S is still my favorite 'look' for the back of the phone I think overall the 6 is pretty close. rounded glass and clean look overall are really appealing to me.

Yeah I don't mind the 6. But if the rumours of a 6C with 5S internals are true I would absolutely love that.

Any one of my iphone 6 "issues" are minor and largely cosmetic so it doesn't bother me but since there are a few niggles I don't like there just wasn't a rush.

It's not like my iPhone 5 doesn't do 99 % of what I would use a 6 for.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The worst. It's been over six months now. These developers need to get with it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
got my new iphone 6 128gb, have a backlight problem, the right upper corner (battery symbol) is a little darker. but besides that, everything is perfect.

so I'll keep it.

dropped my 6 today, screen is cracked AF. Seems like I have 3 options:

- screen repair through Apple ($109)
- screen repair through 3rd party
- new phone through ATT ($250+cost of new phone lol)

anything i'm missing?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I might have fixed some of my signal problems, maybe. I had voice set to use LTE which might have made my voice signal weak even though I'm supposed to live in the most saturated LTE area.

Vyer

dropped my 6 today, screen is cracked AF. Seems like I have 3 options:

- screen repair through Apple ($109)
- screen repair through 3rd party
- new phone through ATT ($250+cost of new phone lol)

anything i'm missing?

Sounds about right.

I didn't know it was only 109 through apple though. When I got my 5S fixed most 3rd party were around $90 and Apple was $150. For 100 I'd go through Apple without question.

tr4656

Sounds about right.

I didn't know it was only 109 through apple though. When I got my 5S fixed most 3rd party were around $90 and Apple was $150. For 100 I'd go through Apple without question.

I think it's cheaper with Applecare?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Galaxy S3 to an iPhone 6 but I need a bit more convincing.

hi.

i have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. i love it, it is an AMAZING device. the best mobile handset released in 2014.

still, you can't go wrong upgrading from a 3 year old Galaxy S3, even if it is to an iPhone 6... you should really get the 6+ ;)

RkOwnage

Where's the best place to get video game wallpapers? I tried Zedge but for the iPhone 6 it's very limited, anyone use a particular site ?

Also, I am new to the Ringtones thing on iPhone, coming from Android, how much of a pita is it?

Dany

Banned
Where's the best place to get video game wallpapers? I tried Zedge but for the iPhone 6 it's very limited, anyone use a particular site ?

Also, I am new to the Ringtones thing on iPhone, coming from Android, how much of a pita is it?

It's more of a sourdough.

depends on if you plan to do it all on your phone or not.

Juice

Yah, possibly insurance, but if it's close to the deductible, it's probably not worth it. Repair is half the cost of closest 5S model is the thing. Limited warranty etc.

A friend suggests to go to a non-authorised service provider who would fit a random screen for cheap, but I just don't want the hassle of a crap job, unofficial parts etc.

Apple's screen replacements out of warranty are dirt cheap. They're all about $100 now. It's literally cheaper to go to an Apple Store than most third party fixers.

Edit: Yeah just $109 for a 6 and $129 elsewise. Amazing deal for a $600-800 phone. https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh the new default emoji people are awful. Yellow hair to match the yellow skin (I assume so people don't "think it's asian").

Should have just gone full Simpsons and made their hair blue or integral hair like Bart / Lisa.

mrkgoo

Apple's screen replacements out of warranty are dirt cheap. They're all about $100 now. It's literally cheaper to go to an Apple Store than most third party fixers.

Edit: Yeah just $109 for a 6 and $129 elsewise. Amazing deal for a $600-800 phone. https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

No Applestores here, unfortuantely. The only authorised repair is an out of warranty replacement unit, which is around half the cost of a new one outright.

am_dragon

My iPhone 6 took a dunk. I was setting it down on the counter and slid right into a sink 1/2 full of water. It was in there for less than 2 seconds. I immediately turned it off, wiped it down, and used some wick to pull the water out of the headphone jack and lightning connector. I pulled the SIM card and there was no sign of water getting in there. I currently have it sitting by my laptop fan blowing warm air over it. I've had an iPhone since the 2g, this is a first for me.

What are my chances, and how long should I leave it off? The internet at large says between 12 and 48 hours.

am_dragon

I got professional help. After reading more https://www.gazelle.com/ Water Damage I decided to see if I could open the iPhone 6, so I called around to a few iPhone repair shops, nobody sold the tools. Two of them offered to open it for free, that that was all they would do. The 3rd said he would open it unhook the battery, and blow out all the water and get the internals as dry as possible.

I also had an iPhone 4 with a wonky home button, and a 5 that had the screen coming out above the bezel, so I took in all three phones. 45 minutes later the 4 and 5 were fixed. He said he was very confident about the 6 because there was very little water, and none had got the the battery. He let me see 3 water sensors, none of them were triggered. He told me to leave it at the store overnight and he would keep a fan with warm air on it, while it was open, and I could pick it up in the morning. $75.00 total for all 3 phones.

He was a very nice guy, he said the biggest problem is if water hits the battery contact its going to short the board or the battery or both. He said sometimes the camera assembly at the top is shorted out, but most of the time if you can get the battery disconnected soon enough the phone can be saved.

Vyer

I am amused by watching some Android users having to defend their phone choice against other Android users over stuff like no sd card and non removable batteries. All because Sammy built a phone like the iPhone.

Amused I say.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My 6+ had a little run in with some water and just like my 4S its perfectly ok. Little frightening yesterday but I didn't even turn it off. Just kinda shook it and pointed a hairdryer at it for a second.

I'd be really curious to see an extensive water resistance test. It'd be really expensive for a site to do though.

mrkgoo

My 6+ had a little run in with some water and just like my 4S its perfectly ok. Little frightening yesterday but I didn't even turn it off. Just kinda shook it and pointed a hairdryer at it for a second.

I'd be really curious to see an extensive water resistance test. It'd be really expensive for a site to do though.

Water damage can be long term though. Slight dampness that corrodes components over time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Water damage can be long term though. Slight dampness that corrodes components over time.

you'd think at least making it splashproof would be fairly simple for apple. Now they no longer have that massive dock connector, waterproofing the lightning connector should be possible (you can already do that with headphone socket which is a wider opening).

mrkgoo

you'd think at least making it splashproof would be fairly simple for apple. Now they no longer have that massive dock connector, waterproofing the lightning connector should be possible (you can already do that with headphone socket which is a wider opening).

True.

Guess it's just not a priority for apple. Also even if they did do it they probably wouldn't advertise it, just because it would tempt complaints.

It's not just the Lightning port either. I've seen corrosion through the earpiece, I guess from sweat.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I'm really using apple pay for everything the non-100% success rate is pretty damning.

Luckily the watch will mitigate this

Top Bottom