• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

big_z

i have a 6 but if i preorder a 6s can i cancel on apple site any time before it ships? im not sure if its worth the upgrade yet, its just the possibility of more ram that has me interested.

That's what I'm thinking also. If the iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, Apple TV 4th Gen, and iPad Pro have 2GB of RAM (4GB on the Pro!)...the 6S/6S+ should have 2GB of RAM as well.

I wish the developer documentation had the specs on the 6S like they did with the Apple TV 4th Gen.

I could see 1GB again simply to offset the cost of the improved camera, 3d touch and possible battery drain it adds since the batteries are identical or smaller.

I'm still a little confused about the new payment method.

I would be coming from android. So I just select an iphone from an apple store and pay the monthly fee, the phone price itself is $0? Then I can trade up every year (no point but why not if they are offering) at no cost, just trade in my old one?

Would I HAVE to select from one of their carriers? I'm with criket right now (love it since its basically cheap AT&T).

its $110 to replace a broken iphone 6 screen.

its $130 for apple care and they charge a service fee of $80 for each repair.

its only when your phone is damaged beyond the screen that apple care saves you money.
for instance if little bobby bent his phone breaking both the shell and screen then threw it in the toilet:

with apple care: $130 initial purchase + $80 repair
without apple care: $300 full repair cost

$110 + tax = 6
$130 + tax = 6+

So how is it cheaper for a one time fix opposed to being covered for 2 years again ?

I also know at least 2 dozen co-workers , family and friends , who have had damaged 6 and 6+ screens ranging from slight cracks to being full blown destroyed and never been been charged $80.

Megatron

I jog with my phone, and keep it in my pocket all day. I know this is 'Merica' and all but the plus models are gigantic and impractical for some of us.

I don't like the idea of jogging with my phone. Constantly jostling it, risk having it fall out of your pocket. You should just get a dedicated MP3 player like a nano or something. You could probably get something decent for less than $40.

reKon

Banned
interested in seeing A9 benchmarks vs Exynos 7420. That and the A9X sounded like big improvements. The Air 2 is still fast for today.

I'm still a little confused about the new payment method.

I would be coming from android. So I just select an iphone from an apple store and pay the monthly fee, the phone price itself is $0? Then I can trade up every year (no point but why not if they are offering) at no cost, just trade in my old one?

Would I HAVE to select from one of their carriers? I'm with criket right now (love it since its basically cheap AT&T).

From what I can tell, yes you'd have to pick one of those carriers to get the Apple financing, since the website doesn't have any options for SIM-free at the moment, which leads me to believe that the Retail stores (the only place you can sign up for this) might not have them either

Now, that may change as we get closer to preorder/launch, and more details about the program should be coming out soon

Nasser

I don't like the idea of jogging with my phone. Constantly jostling it, risk having it fall out of your pocket. You should just get a dedicated MP3 player like a nano or something. You could probably get something decent for less than $40.

I just thought about it and yes it would be really hard to workout with the 6S+. Are there MP3 Players that support Spotify?

From what I can tell, yes you'd have to pick one of those carriers to get the Apple financing, since the website doesn't have any options for SIM-free at the moment, which leads me to believe that the Retail stores (the only place you can sign up for this) might not have them either

Now, that may change as we get closer to preorder/launch, and more details about the program should be coming out soon

Bummer. I wish they had a trade up program for people who want to just buy unlocked phones outright. The amount of money I save using Criket instead one of the major 4 carriers is insane, that's including costs for buying phones outright.

Something like get a guaranteed $350 off any iphone each year when a new one comes out by trading in your old one, or better yet, guaranteed $200 off every two years. For those of us who don't need to upgrade every year.

big_z

$110 + tax = 6
$130 + tax = 6+

So how is it cheaper for a one time fix opposed to being covered for 2 years again ?

I also know at least 2 dozen co-workers , family and friends , who have had damaged 6 and 6+ screens ranging from slight cracks to being full blown destroyed and never been been charged $80.

you know 24+ people that have damaged or destroyed their iPhone 6 in the past year. you must be in the center of an anomaly of klutzes.

the off chance of paying for a screen replacement, which is what most repairs are, is the cost of apple care alone which is a guaranteed investment and then theres a service fee on top of that.
ive already shown you the breakdown on pricing, its listed right on apples page. unless you are prone to destroying or drowning your phone its not worth paying for apple care.

Akira

Looking at the iPhone 6S pricing page.Damn, no unlocked iPhone 6S at launch? The iPhone Upgrade Plan is perfect, but you have to sign up with the 4 major carriers. I'm staying with Straight Talk but want to be rid of this Nexus 5. Sigh, I might have to wait a few months for the unlocked 6S.

Qblivion

So is anyone in the know with how att plans work? I'm on a contract but it looks like I am paying the discounted next pricing on my bill? It says the cost per line is $40 minus $25 for some share value nonsense, which from what I can tell is the discount that installment plan havers get. I'm afraid if I upgrade with another contract something will change and my bill will go up. Not yet convinced the installment plan is actually a good deal.

I'm suuuuuuuper curious what the file type for Live Photos are. Like, what happens if I upload them to imgur? Or import them into Photoshop, are the editable?

So is anyone in the know with how att plans work? I'm on a contract but it looks like I am paying the discounted next pricing on my bill? It says the cost per line is $40 minus $25 for some share value nonsense, which from what I can tell is the discount that installment plan havers get. I'm afraid if I upgrade with another contract something will change and my bill will go up. Not yet convinced the installment plan is actually a good deal.

You are paying the discounted Next pricing, yes. Here's how the bill breaks down:

1. Talk+Text+Data plan (This is the Mobile Share Value plan you have. You have over 10GB of data per month because you're getting the $25 discount on your...)
2. Line Access Fee (probably called something similar). Normally $40, you get a discount because you went with the Next phone financing plan, which means the last part of your bill is
3. Your actual phone payments. So the Next plan is for paying off your actual device so you don't have to pay the whole cost up-front. So right now yes you are in a contract (it should say on your bill how much you have left to pay off). To get out of your contract just pay off the rest of that phone cost, then you own the device and are free to get another*

*You can really buy another phone whenever you want to and just pop your SIM card into it, but A) you won't be eligible for Next plan pricing since you're currently on contract, and B) even if you were to buy a new phone at full cost and pop your SIM into it, you have to finish paying off your old phone anyway. No way around it

Qblivion

You are paying the discounted Next pricing, yes. Here's how the bill breaks down:

1. Talk+Text+Data plan (This is the Mobile Share Value plan you have. You have over 10GB of data per month because you're getting the $25 discount on your...)
2. Line Access Fee (probably called something similar). Normally $40, you get a discount because you went with the Next phone financing plan, which means the last part of your bill is
3. Your actual phone payments. So the Next plan is for paying off your actual device so you don't have to pay the whole cost up-front. So right now yes you are in a contract (it should say on your bill how much you have left to pay off). To get out of your contract just pay off the rest of that phone cost, then you own the device and are free to get another*

*You can really buy another phone whenever you want to and just pop your SIM card into it, but A) you won't be eligible for Next plan pricing since you're currently on contract, and B) even if you were to buy a new phone at full cost and pop your SIM into it, you have to finish paying off your old phone anyway. No way around it

No one has purchased a phone with installments on this plan though. All three of us are on contract and bought the phone at subsidized price. My data is "Mobile Share Value 10GB with Rollover Data" charged at $100 on the primary line. All lines have "Mobile Share Value iPhone on 4G LTE w/ VVM" for $40, and all but the primary receive the $25 off for "Discount for Mobile Share Value Savings." That is what doesn't make sense. (The primary line gets $18 off because I used to work at a place that gave an att corporate discount and they never took it away(lol))

Jake.

i'm looking at getting the 6s and it'll be my first iphone after having galaxies for so many years, but man...that (australian) price is killing me. i'll probably still bite when my contract is up in november, though.

No one has purchased a phone with installments on this plan though. All three of us are on contract and bought the phone at subsidized price. My data is "Mobile Share Value 10GB with Rollover Data" charged at $100 on the primary line. All lines have "Mobile Share Value iPhone on 4G LTE w/ VVM" for $40, and all but the primary receive the $25 off for "Discount for Mobile Share Value Savings." That is what doesn't make sense. (The primary line gets $18 off because I used to work at a place that gave an att corporate discount and they never took it away(lol))

Were the phones purchased on two year contracts and the contract ran out? After two years they'll automatically discount down to $15 a month since the "subsidy period" is over

all the contracts are all still active, though 2 are expiring soon.

Honestly sometimes AT&T is nice (believe me, I know how weird that sounds) and will drop the subsidy pricing earlier than the contract is up, to encourage you to go out and get a new phone. There's a pretty solid chance that if you were to go grab a new phone right now, you'd qualify for off-contract pricing on those lines despite the fact that the contract isn't QUITE up yet

I see it all the time

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
$110 + tax = 6
$130 + tax = 6+

I think you are surrounded by some very clumsy people.

NekoFever

So how much storage do you reckon a 1 minute 4K video will take?

probably 600-800 mb
It won't be nearly that big. My iPhone 6 runs about 120MB/min for 1080p at 60fps. 4K is four times the resolution but limited to 30fps, which makes it double the amount of data. Compressed video file size doesn't scale linearly with that but 200-250MB for a minute sounds like a reasonable guess.

CHANGES TO THE IPHONE LINE:

5S comes in 16GB and 32GB but ONLY in Space Grey and Silver, no more Gold coloring

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus come in 16GB and 64GB in Space Grey and Silver, no more Gold coloring or 128GB options

Xenoflare

I know that live images is going to be a 6S only feature but is the screen "flash" for the front camera a 6S exclusive as well?

gimmmick

Okay, I'm someone who knows jack shit about phones. I use them for talking, texting, internet, and occasionally some apps like Yikyak and Snapchat. That's it. I currently have a Galaxy S4. I really dislike the lollipop update and was curious to finally go over to the dark side and try an iphone. But I'm told that samsung had the best phone before the Iphone 6s was revealed for reasons I can't remmeber right now. I think they said it had the better camera.

Can someone give me a comprehensive rundown on what I should upgrade to? The new Galaxy that I saw in the store or the new Iphone?

As a person that values a user experience over raw specs on a phone, the iphone is a no brainer. I never have to worry about getting upgrades. I know it's god damn cliche to say, but it's a phone that just works. You know what you are getting, a user experience that is second to none. IOS is a solid operating system. I switched over from android back in 2013 when I bought my iphone 5s and I never looked back. Yeah everyone has an iphone, but there is a reason for that. Majority of my friends use it, and it's awesome to be in a core group when getting imessage chats (as lame as it sounds).

Try one out at your local wireless carrier and see if it's right for you.

Ok need some help deciding. I'm only one year into my two year renewal plan thing. I just dipped my old 128gb 6 plus in water. It's probably dead. Apple Store will replace it for $329. Or do I just buy a new 6s for full price? Or do that monthly payment thing? On Sprint with a SERO plan.

gimmmick

Maple syrup has a fantastic write up re the phones new features:
http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/09/09/iphone-6s-iphone-6s-plus-hands-on/

2 gig ram according to them. Any other sites confirm?

"What the company failed to mention was that the actual size of the pixels has been reduced from 1.5 micros to 1.22 microns, which would negatively affect low-light performance, especially on the iPhone 6s because of the lack of optical image stabilization when compared to its larger sibling."

:(

Thanks for the link bro. Very informative read.

Appleman

:(

Thanks for the link bro. Very informative read.

Was actually interested to see how they approached upping the camera to 12MP after sticking with 8MP for four iPhones with the reasoning being the larger pixels...

I think the only reason is 4K since if my math is right you'd need more pixels than the existing 8MP sensor

mrkgoo

Ok need some help deciding. I'm only one year into my two year renewal plan thing. I just dipped my old 128gb 6 plus in water. It's probably dead. Apple Store will replace it for $329. Or do I just buy a new 6s for full price? Or do that monthly payment thing? On Sprint with a SERO plan.

Why wouldn't you pay $329 for a replacement 128GB iPhone 6+?

Resseh

Will I get the GM of iOS 9 if I'm using the public beta? (Just got an email saying I get the GM for El Capitan)

L.O.R.D

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/09/iphone-6s-1715mah-battery/

battery for the new iphone 6S is 1,715 mAh , it was 1810 in iphone6

iphone6sbattery.png

LCfiner

Pathetic, that's the most important feature as far as I'm concerned, why does no one prioritise it?

it’s already awesome on the 6 and especially the 6+.

if making the battery slightly smaller - while keeping the same battery life - allowed them to fit in the taptic engine to improve vibration quality, then that seems like an awesome trade off (look at the size of that motor assembly).

iphone vibrations have been poor for years. the haptic feedback on the apple watch is excellent - i’m glad they’re improving it on the phone with similar tech.

FerranMG

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/09/iphone-6s-1715mah-battery/

battery for the new iphone 6S is 1,715 mAh , it was 1810 in iphone6

iphone6sbattery.png

It's shrunk by 5%.
I guess the loss of capacity will be balanced out by improved efficiency of the processors.
It would have been nice to have better battery life, and not just the same, but maybe the internal components didn't allow for more battery space.

When I'm gonna get mad is when next year the make the iPhone 7 still shorter, while they keep the battery life the same. There was a report yesterday by KGI saying that the iPhone 7 might be 6mm tall, shorter than the 6's, that is close to 7mm.
I wish they'd allow for slightly bigger dimensions in order to gain battery life.

Top Bottom