• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

lupinko

I'm thinking about buying a 6S @128GB from SoftBank, if I do it before 11/30, I can get 20,000yen off via coupons, and I could finally sell off my 64GB North American unlocked 64GB 5, which is kinda lame here in Japan since I don't get Japanese LTE on it.

I played with the idea of just using the 5 as an iPod and getting a lower capacity 6S or 6S+. What do you say iPhoneGAF?

I kinda bailed on iPhoneGAF due to my move aboard.

And yeah I'm a hoarder, and my vanilla mini is dreadfully painful now. The 5 is starting to show its limits, KpopGAF's thread murders it. Lol

Rootbeer

Banned
So, I really like Apple's financing plan after reading more about it. But still a huge problem for me: It requires a carrier contract. Sigh.

I'm on the T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan and it's excellent for my needs For only $30 I get Unlimited data (First 5GB at 4G which is plenty for me), unlimited text and 100mins of talk. I rarely talk on my phone so it's perfect and cheap. Are there any contract plans VERY close to this? If not, why? I don't understand why the prepaid is so much cheaper, why not lock someone into a contract at the same price?

I'm looking over T-mobile's contract plans and there is a 3GB data plan with talk/txt for $60... DOUBLE what i'm paying on the same carrier for prepaid.

I need help finding a comparable plan so I'm prepared when I go in to order a 6S+

Nicktendo86

They can improve the processors etc as much as they like but the biggest drain on battery when actually using the device will always be the display, with current tech the only way to improve battery life is to increase the size of the battery. Making it even smaller is a joke.

Hoo-doo

Banned
6S is better than 6.
7S will be better than 7, though.

Sure, but it just doesn't feel like enough reason to upgrade at all. I want the new and completely redesigned hotness when I buy a new phone, not the spec bumped hotness from last year.

It is sure to be a spectacular phone though, no doubts on that count.

FerranMG

Sure, but it just doesn't feel like enough reason to upgrade at all. I want the new and completely redesigned hotness when I buy a new phone, not the spec bumped hotness from last year.

It is sure to be a spectacular phone though, no doubts on that count.

Well, it's just a matter of preferences.
Upgrade from a 6 to a 6S (or from one year's model to the next one) is definitely just for tech-lovers.
To me, the sweet spot is upgrading every two years. The choice, then, is to upgrade from n to n+1, or to upgrade from n S to n+1 S.
I found S models to be more reliable, and more efficient when the end of the 2-year cycle is coming.

I have a 5S, and the main reason I discarded upgrading to a 6 was that it didn't have 2GB of RAM. This RAM upgrade is the typical change you will get in an S model. It's not earth-shattering, might not be even a selling point for Apple, but it will make your phone much more powerful in the long run.
Same with the 64bit processor.
I'm sure my 5S is in much better position to handle current software than the 5 was one year ago.

Rootbeer

Banned
You only require a connection with a big 4 carrier. You can switch as often as you like.
It doesn't seem very clear to me still. What if I just cancel the plan after one month? If I'm buying the phone from apple, what does having a plan even have anything to do with it. I really need to learn the finer details behind what they are trying to do. I like having the freedom to stay prepaid because IMO it's the best value for my needs. I like the idea of paying for my phone over time instead of a huge lump sum and being able to upgrade every year, so I hope I can make it work.

mf.luder

It doesn't seem very clear to me still. What if I just cancel the plan after one month? If I'm buying the phone from apple, what does having a plan even have anything to do with it. I really need to learn the finer details behind what they are trying to do. I like having the freedom to stay prepaid because IMO it's the best value for my needs. I like the idea of paying for my phone over time instead of a huge lump sum and being able to upgrade every year, so I hope I can make it work.

Yes, I'm interested in this as well as soon as it comes to Canada. Bundling in AppleCare and I get a new phone each year? Yes please. Just curious about the finer details.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My wife's upgrade isn't up until the 21st, but preorders are on Saturday. Anyone ever deal with this? Is there a way to go through Apple and skirt that upgrade date by a few days?

rhino4evr

I keep my phones for a long time. I'm replacing a iPhone 4. So I'd much rather pay $199 up front , then pay $32 a month which equates to $384 just for the first year.

Best plan of action then is to make a reservation at 12:01 PST on the 12th, show up to the appointment, and ask about prepaid with a national carrier. The worst they can do is say post-paid only.

rhino4evr

You do realize a 24 month contract comes with the $199 price?

If I pay $200 now. That's all I have to pay unless I choose to replace it. My current plan with ATT is unlimited data. And priced aggressively.
If I purchase the "upgrade plan" I'm still in for the total cost of the phone over two years. The last iPhone was purchased 4? years ago, and for $199. So unless you "need" to replace your phone every year. The new upgrade program is still much more expensive

Pineapple

I'm curious - for those that have pre-ordered iPhones in the past (via Apple), how does it work?

Do I need to put any money down? Can I specify a store at which I would like to pick up the phone on release day, or does it have to be shipped to me?

I understand your sentiment, but I actually think the 6 --> 6s is a bigger jump than the 5s --> 6.

Going from the 5s to the 6, it was a new design, a bigger screen...and that's really it. The A8 was a marginal improvement over the A7. Camera improvements were relatively minor. Pixel density was the same. 1 GB of RAM on both devices.

From the 6 to the 6s, though, there seem to be far more improvements. The A9 chip seems to be a bigger jump from the A8 than the A8 was from the A7. The camera and imaging sensor have seen a major upgrade, and the phones can shoot 4K video. 2 GB of RAM is likely (although this has yet to be confirmed). 3D touch is present. The Touch ID sensor has been upgraded, as has the cellular chip for LTE-Advanced. The body of the phone is constructed out of Series 7000 aluminum.

Overall, almost every aspect of the phone has been improved substantially.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I wish either the 6S was slightly bigger or the 6S+ was slightly smaller. I have a 6+ now and at first I enjoyed the novelty of such a big phone, but it's worn off and really I can't accept its size for practicality. A 5 - 5.2 inch phone would be perfect. :[

krpiper

If I pay $200 now. That's all I have to pay unless I choose to replace it. My current plan with ATT is unlimited data. And priced aggressively.
If I purchase the "upgrade plan" I'm still in for the total cost of the phone over two years. The last iPhone was purchased 4? years ago, and for $199. So unless you "need" to replace your phone every year. The new upgrade program is still much more expensive

I'm pretty sure that you can't buy a phone athat the subsidized price on the old plans

rhino4evr

I'm pretty sure that you can't buy a phone athat the subsidized price on the old plans

You sure can! Just confirmed it from ATT.

Just have to purchase it through the ATT store. If you buy it through the Apple Store you will need to switch to a "ATT next" plan.

Squalor

AT&T supposedly took away subsidized pricing for existing customers, anyway.

And, eventually, they'll be disallowing subsidies for new customers.

rhino4evr

AT&T supposedly took away subsidized pricing for existing customers, anyway.

And, eventually, they'll be disallowing subsidies for new customers.

You have that backwards. Existing customers have the option to keep their current plan and pay the subsidized price of $199. As long as you purchase direct from ATT.

New customers will need to pay for the phone out right or through their "ATT next" plan.

Squalor

You have that backwards. Existing customers have the option to keep their current plan and pay the subsidized price of $199. As long as you purchase direct from ATT.

New customers will need to pay for the phone out right or through their "ATT next" plan.
Not according to this:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-6s-buying-guide/

And if you go to AT&T right now (not signed into your account), it shows that you can get a subsidized iPhone with a two-year contract. Afterward, I logged into my account, and that option wasn't there.

Vyer

The big question about the apple plan for me is early pay off or termination. If I can pay off the rest of the phone at any time and drop out of the cycle when I want, I'd probably go with it rather than use the next upgrade for ATT' Next plan.

out of curiosity, as I usually upgraded more frequently than that, would your bill cost drop after 2 years? As it stands, that seems to be an advantage; knocking 30-40 bucks off your bill once the phone is paid (including if you decide to pay early and knock off, say, the last 200 all at once after a year and a half). I'm curious what happens to your bill in year 3 and 4, and so on.

I'm suuuuuuuper curious what the file type for Live Photos are. Like, what happens if I upload them to imgur? Or import them into Photoshop, are the editable?

If it's anything like HTC Zoe it's like dozens of photographs that make up each video. When I had that htc it basically ruined my drop box account because it'd upload ALL of the photos and not just the one I selected to make the "main" so there's thousands of photos for what looked like about a hundred on my phone

I don't think that's available anymore. I'm in the same boat having a grandfather'd unlimited ATT plan and I believe the only way to keep it and get a new phone is to buy the phone unlocked.

RDreamer

Not according to this:

And if you go to AT&T right now (not signed into your account), it shows that you can get a subsidized iPhone with a two-year contract. Afterward, I logged into my account, and that option wasn't there.

They'd better hope I can get a new phone and continue my contract, otherwise I'm leaving for Sprint or something. AT&T's pricing outside my grandfathered plan are fucking insane.

I don't think that's available anymore. I'm in the same boat having a grandfather'd unlimited ATT plan and I believe the only way to keep it and get a new phone is to buy the phone unlocked.

Seriously? That blows.

Fuck AT&T... seriously fuck them

DMczaf

I wish either the 6S was slightly bigger or the 6S+ was slightly smaller. I have a 6+ now and at first I enjoyed the novelty of such a big phone, but it's worn off and really I can't accept its size for practicality. A 5 - 5.2 inch phone would be perfect. :[

Same exact boat. 5-5.2 would be perfect for me.

Going with 6s because iOS hasn't shown me any benefits to having a phone that big other than media purposes

Squalor

They'd better hope I can get a new phone and continue my contract, otherwise I'm leaving for Sprint or something. AT&T's pricing outside my grandfathered plan are fucking insane.
You can keep your contract. You just won't be able to get a subsidized phone since you're an existing customer. I say that provided the information from the website and my experience with AT&T's website are accurate.

Seriously? That blows.

Do you know if that means our grandfathered unlimited plan will go down in price after the 2 years are up? I honestly don't even know, because I've always upgraded.
Down in price? Hahahaha.

AT&T is getting sued by the FCC for throttling us grandfathered unlimited users after 5 gigs, and they're still throttling us.

Your only hope is the buy the phone outright to keep your unlimited, which they might pry from our cold, dead grandfathered hands within a year or two, anyway.

rhino4evr

Not according to this:

Are you referring to a current iPhone 6?
Because the 6s isn't up in the store.

If I log into my account I can choose to purchase an iPhone 6 for $199.99 on a 2 year commitment.

According to customer service I will be able to due the same for the 6S.

Maybe you have a different plan then I do?

RDreamer

Down in price? Hahahaha.

AT&T is getting sued by the FCC for throttling us grandfathered unlimited users after 5 gigs, and they're still throttling us.

Your only hope is the buy the phone outright to keep your unlimited, which they might pry from our cold, dead grandfathered hands within a year or two, anyway.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

The price raise on getting exactly what I'm using right now is insane. It would cost like $40-50 bucks more per month. I think that's partially because they only want to give me unlimited texts and phone calling, too. Right now I have the lowest call plan they offered at the time and like $5 for 200 texts. I have so many rollover minutes it isn't even funny.

Guess I'm thinking about switching to sprint because that's just stupid.

RDreamer

Hmmmmm on AT&T's website on the upgrade option I do see this:

Congratulations! This line is upgrade eligible for AT&T Next or an upgrade with a 2 year commitment.

The latter should be what I want.

Edit: Yup, upon further inspection it does seem like I can select a phone and select 2 year contract with it just like usual. Hallelujah!

The best thing about the 6S is the battery life. It lasts me for 2 and a half day. IT'S A GAME CHANGER.

Don't reduce its incredible battery Apple! This is the best reason to own an Iphone! The phone is actually portable. It's actually not a recharge sponge. All devices needs to move towards multiple day battery life!!

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Same exact boat. 5-5.2 would be perfect for me.

Going with 6s because iOS hasn't shown me any benefits to having a phone that big other than media purposes

Yea. But I still continue to consider the big ass 6S+ because from what I'm reading its battery life is much better than the 6S. :[

The best thing about the 6S is the battery life. It lasts me for 2 and a half day. IT'S A GAME CHANGER.

Don't reduce its incredible battery Apple! This is the best reason to own an Iphone! The phone is actually portable. It's actually not a recharge sponge. All devices needs to move towards multiple day battery life!!

My girlfriend has a 6 and according to the comparisons on Apple's website, the 6S and 6 share the same battery and charges. Her phone barely lasts a day anymore.

Squalor

Yea. But I still continue to consider the big ass 6S+ because from what I'm reading its battery life is much better than the 6S. :[
According to Apple, the battery life for each iPhone 6s is equivalent to its predecessor.
Edit: Yup, upon further inspection it does seem like I can select a phone and select 2 year contract with it just like usual. Hallelujah!
But will it be there for the iPhone 6s? That's not on AT&T's website. The other guy said he spoke to customer service and that they confirmed it for him, but DigiTimes said it wouldn't be available for the 6s.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
According to Apple, the battery life for each iPhone 6s is equivalent to its predecessor.

Yea, which is why I'd still consider keeping the bigger phone because my 6+ has a better battery life than my girlfriend's 6. I wouldn't want to reduce my battery life by going with a 6S. :[

rhino4evr

I'm referring to what's on the website, obviously, which are the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.

If you go into the ATT store (not the Apple Store) and log in , you can only choose a 6 at the moment. When you do you have the option of choosing the next plan or the $199 plan with " grand fathered" unlimited data for $30.

According to customer service, this will apply for the 6 S as well, you just need to purchase through ATT website.

If you purchase through the Apple Store you will not be able to do this option

But will it be there for the iPhone 6s? That's not on AT&T's website. The other guy said he spoke to customer service and that they confirmed it for him, but DigiTimes said it wouldn't be available for the 6s.

So I can maybe go 7 hours without looking for an outlet.

It's a 5% reduction and the A9 is even faster in the race to sleep. It's probably not going to change at all.

RDreamer

I mean I don't know if it'll be there for the 6s, but it is on AT&T's website right now for the other phones:

LpYwpLX.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Got a 5s 2 years ago so it's upgrade time for me.

Why the smaller battery though? Are battery components prohibitively expensive or something? I don't believe that 0.0001m reduction in thickness every year is more of a selling point than making it a bit chubbier and claiming a realistic 15 hour battery life or something.

Squalor

Two and a half days on a 6 Plus battery?

What the hell? Do you ever use it?

Why the smaller battery though? Are battery components prohibitively expensive or something? I don't believe that 0.0001m reduction in thickness every year is more of a selling point than making it a bit chubbier and claiming a realistic 15 hour battery life or something.
3D Touch takes up a little more space. They chose to shrink the battery, I suppose.

It's actually thicker to account for the force touch display. The battery reduction is to make space for the taptic engine.

Red

I for a 64GB 6s+
as long as it actually has 2GB RAM

I'll probably wait a few weeks since my Verizon contract is done in October. Want to jump ship and swim to T Mobile.

Squalor

I for a 64GB 6s+
as long as it actually has 2GB RAM

I'll probably wait a few weeks since my Verizon contract is done in October. Want to jump ship and swim to T Mobile.
It was eventually confirmed to have 2 GB of RAM.
Is it possible to just buy one without any sort of contract or subsidy or BS on day one?
You can outright buy it on day one. At least that is clear.

Squalor

The force touch stuff makes this the first S model iphone that I'm tempted by.
Easily the best S update Apple has ever made.

If they don't have something stellar next year, that could wind up being the weakest S-to-new-model update ever, too.

rhino4evr

I just confirmed (again) through customer service.

If you are an existing ATT customer and you want to keep your current plan, and pay the "subsidized" price ($199/$299) etc. you will need to pre order your phone direct through the ATT website.

If you try to purchase direct from Apple this option will NOT be available.

Top Bottom