• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sorry if asked, but are the dimensions the same for the iPhone 6S+ compared to last year's model? Wondering if all the same cases will work.

They actually have two different models this time. One for T-Mobile and AT&T (Include Band 30 LTE and CDMA is disabled), and the other for Sprint and Verizon (CDMA is enabled and Band 30 LTE is not included).

From the apple website, looks like they're doing only 2 models for each phone now, a CDMA and a GSM. If you get the CDMA one you'll be able to use it anywhere, but the GSM model should be more than enough for most carriers around the world. edit: and yeah the CDMA one won't have band 30, thanks secretanchitman

Man, can't they just do one phone that has all the stuff?

Thanks for taking the time to go through this information and breaking it down for us.

Although, I'm still not sure if doing the phone directly through Apple is for me or not. 250 trade in credit doesn't seem like a lot, or is it? Hmm. I guess the Apple Care thing is nice.
Apple's monthly plan cost over 24 months would be $127.92 higher than Verizon's, but that includes the $100 cost of insurance so really over 24 months you'd pay $27.92 over retail cost of the phone by financing with Apple over the course of two years. If you trade the phone back and get a new one 12 months in the $250 "Credit" you'd calculate isn't that bad of a deal since realistically somebody would sell their one year old 16GB iPhone for $350-$450 so the cost would end up being the same except Apple is subtracting the value of insurance from what you'd get.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Not as easy as it sounds. The chips and what bands they support are an interesting beast. Especially when you see how tight their footprint (and likely I/o voltage requirement) is.

CDMA is shite anyway. Once Verizon pulls their heads out and go GSM everything gets easier.

Hero

Apple's monthly plan cost over 24 months would be $127.92 higher than Verizon's, but that includes the $100 cost of insurance so really over 24 months you'd pay $27.92 over retail cost of the phone by financing with Apple over the course of two years. If you trade the phone back and get a new one 12 months in the $250 "Credit" you'd calculate isn't that bad of a deal since realistically somebody would sell their one year old 16GB iPhone for $350-$450 so the cost would end up being the same except Apple is subtracting the value of insurance from what you'd get.

I see, so it really depends on if you want the insurance or not. Is Apple insurance good?

I thought they were going to considering the 6/6+ got a unified model back in January. I guess CDMA and Band 30 were incompatible?

It's also interesting to note that the CDMA model only has EVDO Rev A, as EVDO Rev B is not present in the 6S/6S+. Not that any carrier supports Rev B (at least not Sprint or Verizon), as everyone is going towards LTE and LTE Advanced.

I see, so it really depends on if you want the insurance or not. Is Apple insurance good?
It's one of the better options for insurance on a phone. They cover two instances of accidental damage with an $100 deductible and you can either send the phone to them or take it to an Apple Store.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Anyone else notice that Apple didn't present their usual battery life charts for the 6s? I think 3D touch maybe a battery killer.

How do Apple Stores tether their iPhones? I want to know before I go drive there tomorrow to test the size of the 6S Plus because I want to know if I can use it at all with one hand.

Anyone else notice they raised the cost of AppleCare+ for the iPhone 6S/iPhone 6S Plus? I noticed it now costs $130 with an $100 deductible instead of being $100 with an $80 deductible.

big_z

It's one of the better options for insurance on a phone. They cover two instances of accidental damage with an $100 deductible and you can either send the phone to them or take it to an Apple Store.

Not worth it unless you're one of those people that drop their phone into toilets. Most buy the extended care for screen damage but its actually cheaper to pay outright for an apple store to replace the screen.

Aurizen

out of curiosity how much more powerful is the iphone 6s is to the 5 I know it's probably a lot but how much we talking?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
out of curiosity how much more powerful is the iphone 6s is to the 5 I know it's probably a lot but how much we talking?

I'm going to guess 4x+. There is a huge difference in day-to-day use.

The 5 is now obsolete. The 5s is the free version now (on contract).

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Well, if this is true, we might know why they omitted this info

https://twitter.com/Techmeme/status/641835076683042816

Eek. I wonder if they had to slim the battery to make room for the force touch panel. I'm curious if this impacts the 6s+ as well.

So far I like the battery life of the 6+. I think a bit less would still be tolerable but I would hate to see things move in the wrong direction. Make the phone a few mm thicker and out a monster battery in there!

I'm really disappointed that there's no 6s 'mini' aka a new 5-series model. I've talked to a lot of people who'd rather go back to the smaller size of the 5. I have no idea why they refuse to make one. Not everyone wants a giant phone.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Eek. I wonder if they had to slim the battery to make room for the force touch panel. I'm curious if this impacts the 6s+ as well.

So far I like the battery life of the 6+. I think a bit less would still be tolerable but I would hate to see things move in the wrong direction. Make the phone a few mm thicker and out a monster battery in there!

The site says that if this is true, the rumors were correct about the battery change.

In the video the iPhone 6s is dismantled and viewers can see that the battery is marked "1715 mAh". This confirms previous rumors, which have said that the iPhone 6s' battery capacity would be down to 1715 mAh from the iPhone 6's 1810 mAh.

And the 6s+ is getting gutted too (2910 mAh to 2750 mAh)

Rumors also indicated that the iPhone 6s Plus would see its capacity drop down to 2750 mAh from the iPhone 6 Plus' 2910 mAh. While the iPhone 6s Plus' true battery capacity is currently unconfirmed, confirmation of a lower capacity will likely come in the next few weeks as the device is subject to teardowns and technical breakdowns.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm really disappointed that there's no 6s 'mini' aka a new 5-series model. I've talked to a lot of people who'd rather go back to the smaller size of the 5. I have no idea why they refuse to make one. Not everyone wants a giant phone.

You guys are a niche market now.

Juice

I'm waffling on whether to do the upgrade program or buy it unlocked.

Really prefer to own things outright but hate selling it every year. And that's worth a couple hundred bucks in annoyance factor.

At the same time I hate having any debt. It's be psychologically depressing to have to pay off a loan if, say, I lost my phone. I also don't like the idea of being charged a fee if it's not in good enough shape at trade in time.

Ugh

Arlen777

I was searching couple of times today to see how much RAM it has, one thing i found is article that AppleTV will have 2gb of ram, so i kinda think that they did put 2gb in iphone as well, otherwise it will be weird to see them put 2gb in $149 product and put 1gb in $700 product

EDIT: With everything we saw like 3d touch, 4k videos, i really think its only possible with bigger ram, so fingers crossed

Aurizen

I'm going to guess 4x+. There is a huge difference in day-to-day use.

The 5 is now obsolete. The 5s is the free version now (on contract).

Ah I see I was thinking percent wise, like how apple says their 6s is 70% more powerful than the 6. I figgured the 6s is like 400% more powerful than the 5 haha give or take.

big_z

No it's not

its $110 to replace a broken iphone 6 screen.

its $130 for apple care and they charge a service fee of $80 for each repair.

its only when your phone is damaged beyond the screen that apple care saves you money.
for instance if little bobby bent his phone breaking both the shell and screen then threw it in the toilet:

with apple care: $130 initial purchase + $80 repair
without apple care: $300 full repair cost

subrock

Not worth it unless you're one of those people that drop their phone into toilets. Most buy the extended care for screen damage but its actually cheaper to pay outright for an apple store to replace the screen.

I dropped my 6 plus on tile and it was a $450 bill. Hard to drop these bigger phones without fucking up the body and thus requiring a replacement. That being said, I think a case is equally as good as Apple Care.

I was searching couple of times today to see how much RAM it has, one thing i found is article that AppleTV will have 2gb of ram, so i kinda think that they did put 2gb in iphone as well, otherwise it will be weird to see them put 2gb in $149 product and put 1gb in $700 product

EDIT: With everything we saw like 3d touch, 4k videos, i really think its only possible with bigger ram, so fingers crossed

That's what I'm thinking also. If the iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, Apple TV 4th Gen, and iPad Pro have 2GB of RAM (4GB on the Pro!)...the 6S/6S+ should have 2GB of RAM as well.

I wish the developer documentation had the specs on the 6S like they did with the Apple TV 4th Gen.

its $110 to replace a broken iphone 6 screen.

its $130 for apple care and they charge a service fee of $80 for each repair.

its only when your phone is damaged beyond the screen that apple care is worth it.

Yeah, it really comes in handy for things beyond screen repairs. Body damage or water damage and stuff

If the screen is the only thing broken, apples screen repair price is only about $109. Used to be a lot more

Used to be more because until the iPhone 5 all the screens were attached to the body. Now they're replaceable without replacing the whole unit

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Apple's website rates the battery life as identical to the 6/6+ generation.

They didn't talk about it because it wasn't a selling point and because they had a *ton* of shit to get through in this presentation (which is apparently the last one this year). Tons of stuff didn't get talked about.

Well, Apple website rates the battery using hours of use. And don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that they are misleading us. They could have made improvements to the OS and can now maintain the same endurance even with a smaller battery.

But, i wish they would at least keep the same battery (if this is true), because i want my devices to stay on more time. We reached a point where the smartphones are slick enough and i would not mind a "fatter" phone with a huge battery capacity. IMO

RaidenZR

The battery shrinkage and general battery life aspect kills me. So disappointed it's not a guaranteed improvement.

Why can't they just put that damn location services toggle on the bottom swipe-up screen? That would probably single-handedly give me back a half a day at this point in my 5s's life.

Fliesen

The site says that if this is true, the rumors were correct about the battery change.

And the 6s+ is getting gutted too (2910 mAh to 2750 mAh)

i wouldn't call a 5% drop in capacity "gutted".

Optimziations of the chipsets might make up for that. As some have pointed out, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they just ran out of time.

We'll just wait and see when the benchmarks are being released

Top Bottom