• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

RDreamer

Man, I just looked over my options with ATT, and it kind of sucks. For the same price as what I have, I'd get a max of 5 gb, which even when I wasn't an excessive idiot like now I was busting past every month. It'd cost something ridiculous like $40 more to get 15gb per month, and I go past that once in a while.

What do, GAF? Should I say fuck it to ATT and switch to something else? Sprint seems to have some decent data plans, but the reception kind of sucks compared to ATT around here.

Yes it shouldn't change anything at all. A lot of issues with keeping unlimited data appear when somebody tries to upgrade with a subsidized contract, but in the case of getting the phone with Apple the only thing you'll be doing is switching the sim card from your old phone to the new one.

Thanks. Since you seem to know a bit about this, one more question. Since it seems my only option to keep what I have with ATT is to order through them, does that mean I should be fine preordering it then?

rhino4evr

It should. AT&T Announced that preorders will go live on Saturday at 3:00AM Eastern which is the same time Apple said their preorders will go live.

No you don't. Additionally if you have an old plan with subsidized contract you MAY be able to get another subsidized phone again. I believe Verizon only killed contracts for new customers so I'd recommend calling if you're interested in getting another subsidized device (But it'll probably have to be through Verizon's store).

When/where did they announce this?

Nasser

Sometimes I wish I could buy a locked phone with a contract, it would be way cheaper for me. I leave America during the summer (about 3 months) every year and I don't want to not be able to use my phone during that time. I just calculated total with taxes and it's around $890 for the 64GB 6S+. I still want the 128 GB but I don't know if I can afford to pay around $1000 at once. :\

Thanks. Since you seem to know a bit about this, one more question. Since it seems my only option to keep what I have with ATT is to order through them, does that mean I should be fine preordering it then?
You don't need to specifically order through AT&T to keep your unlimited data . If you were to order an off-contract device at retail price somewhere else (Like Apple Store) then you could just switch sim cards without issue. If you want to keep your unlimited data with a subsidized contract upgrade then you'd need to order through AT&T. When you go to process the upgrade at the time you preorder it should give you the option to keep your current plan.

When/where did they announce this?
I got the information from PhoneArena however I now see they don't specifically have a source other than saying AT&T told them. That being said they are a pretty large website/channel so I'd think the information is correct.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/AT-T...nd-Apple-iPhone-6s-Plus-this-Saturday_id73611

Any other tmobile users? I have that jump on demand program. Anyone ever use this with a new iphone drop?

It's very simple. You walk in, your phone is inspected, as long as it passes, you just walk out with a new phone of your choice. If this phone is like last years 6 then it will be backordered for months. I plan to do the JOD though, sad because I've only had my iPhone for less than 3 weeks lol, that's why I love this program and T-mobile!

Fletcher

It's very simple. You walk in, your phone is inspected, as long as it passes, you just walk out with a new phone of your choice. If this phone is like last years 6 then it will be backordered for months. I plan to do the JOD though, sad because I've only had my iPhone for less than 3 weeks lol, that's why I love this program and T-mobile!

Wonder if we can pre-order?

kIdMuScLe

T-Mobile iPhone users who got the iPhone 6 when JOD program started are getting a free upgrade to 6s/6s+

Mortemis

Banned
Wonder if we can pre-order?

They have nothing announced just yet, but I read things about there being a deferred trade-in pre-order, where you pre-order your phone online and when you go to pick it up they'll do the trade-in there.

Glad this supports band 12, with Seattle finally getting those new towers I'll finally get better LTE coverage.

Wait, so if the new mini is going to have the insides of the Air 2, does that include the 2GB of RAM as well?

If so, then looks like my current Mini is going to be meeting eBay soon.
The mini 4 isn't the same as an Air 2, its rocking a plain A8 processor. Wouldn't hold my breath for a ram increase.

VPhys

I used to upgrade my Android phone every 4 to 6 months. I was addicted to new technology and that technology changed so fast in the Android space. I figured once I got to iphone I would change that to the once a year since 1) apple only updates once a year so I have no choice if I stick to iphone and 2) I liked the iphone 6 so much I thought I wouldn't be tired of it after a year.

So my plan was to sell my 6 before the 6s came out. However I'm so glad I did not, the 6S is definitely not worth the loss and I will wait for the 7.

I'm on Verizon and due for an upgrade in November? Can someone explain the price difference in Verizon's new edge-style standard plans vs Apple's payment plan? How much less would my Verizon bill be if I did the Apple program? Does Apple's plan have an upfront cost at all?

I'm thinking about buying a used iphone 6 plus after everyone upgrades

Do I need to make sure I buy a certain unlocked version? Are verizon/sprint phones CDMA?

Or can I buy any 6 plus at this point and get it unlocked for free?

I love everything about my 6 Plus except for the 1 GB RAM. Considering the phone renders images at a ridiculously high resolution and then downscales, I have a lot of issues with memory, mainly with Safari. If the 6S Plus has 2GB, to me it'd be damn near perfect. But given how cagey Apple is, we probably won't know how much RAM there is until the phone actually launches, just like last year.

I'm on Verizon and due for an upgrade in November? Can someone explain the price difference in Verizon's new edge-style standard plans vs Apple's payment plan? How much less would my Verizon bill be if I did the Apple program? Does Apple's plan have an upfront cost at all?
If you did the Verizon monthly plan you'd pay at minimum $27.08 a month for the 16GB iPhone 6S and more for a different model. Over two years that would be a total of $650. You can upgrade your phone at any time but you must fully finish paying the device off.

Apple's plan would at minimum be $32.41 per month for a 16GB iPhone 6S increasing depending on what model you get. You can upgrade in 12 months on this plan but you must trade in the iPhone you've been paying for to get a new one. The plan also comes with Apple Care + Insurance in case you break the phone.

I'm thinking about buying a used iphone 6 plus after everyone upgrades

Do I need to make sure I buy a certain unlocked version? Are verizon/sprint phones CDMA?

Or can I buy any 6 plus at this point and get it unlocked for free?
The Sprint model will only work on Sprint and Verizon. The Verizon model will work on any carrier, but you won't likely get full 4G LTE on AT&T/T-Mobile it will be either 2G or 3G maybe 4G depending on the towers in your area. The AT&T/T-Mobile versions will only work on GSM networks.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Eh, seems rather safe from Apple but that's to be expected. I'm waiting on what Microsoft has to offer in the way of Lumia before I decide come November with my plan's upgrade capability.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Hmmm. Liking the updates.

So, if the 6S and 6S Plus are identical other than size (same rez, ram, etc)...should I go with the Plus or the normal sized version?

Decisions, decisions...

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Probably misunderstanding, but screen res's aren't the same on 6S/6S+

Are the specs for the screen released? I know the 6 and 6 Plus had different resolutions, but was curious about whether that still holds true for the 6S

EDIT: sure enough, there's a difference.

Hmm, guess I'm going with the 6S Plus then...hope it's not too big.

If you did the Verizon monthly plan you'd pay at minimum $27.08 a month for the 16GB iPhone 6S and more for a different model. Over two years that would be a total of $650. You can upgrade your phone at any time but you must fully finish paying the device off.

Apple's plan would at minimum be $32.41 per month for a 16GB iPhone 6S increasing depending on what model you get. You can upgrade in 12 months on this plan but you must trade in the iPhone you've been paying for to get a new one. The plan also comes with Apple Care + Insurance in case you break the phone.

The Sprint model will only work on Sprint and Verizon. The Verizon model will work on any carrier, but you won't likely get full 4G LTE on AT&T/T-Mobile it will be either 2G or 3G maybe 4G depending on the towers in your area. The AT&T/T-Mobile versions will only work on GSM networks.
So that's basically minus $27 from my Verizon bill for using Apple's plan. That seems reasonable when you include Apple care and being able to upgrade annually without ever putting extra down for a phone (if I understand it correctly).

I guess Verizon still has the actual Edge plan too which would be more comparable in cost to Apple's and also allows an upgrade annually without having to pay it off? I think I'm remembering that correctly.

Lima

Eh I'm going to get in anyway. The question now is after always being black ever since the 3G do I finally get some color for the first time?

TxdoHawk

John Legere confirmed on Periscope that Jump on Demand customers get first shots at the 6S and 6S+ for 48 hours. Sigh. I really don't want to go that route, very much prefer the standard plan. He also said he's going to unveil "very aggressive" JoD prices tomorrow for the new sets, so I guess I will look at those + the Apple Plan + the unlocked cost and weigh my options.

So that's basically minus $27 from my Verizon bill for using Apple's plan. That seems reasonable when you include Apple care and being able to upgrade annually without ever putting extra down for a phone (if I understand it correctly).

I guess Verizon still has the actual Edge plan too which would be more comparable in cost to Apple's and also allows an upgrade annually without having to pay it off? I think I'm remembering that correctly.
The Verizon Edge program is gone and was replaced with the "Device Payment Program" I mentioned previously. Generally speaking Apple's program is more expensive, but you get peace of mind having the insurance included and you also get to upgrade every year.

The thing to keep in mind is since you have to trade in the phone with Apple's plan that means you're essentially trading in a phone you've already paid a minimum of $400 towards. That essentially means Apple is giving you $250 trade in credit to take the phone off your hands and give you a new iPhone model.

Hero

The Verizon Edge program is gone and was replaced with the "Device Payment Program" I mentioned previously. Generally speaking Apple's program is more expensive, but you get peace of mind having the insurance included and you also get to upgrade every year.

The thing to keep in mind is since you have to trade in the phone with Apple's plan that means you're essentially trading in a phone you've already paid a minimum of $400 towards. That essentially means Apple is giving you $250 trade in credit to take the phone off your hands and give you a new iPhone model.

Thanks for taking the time to go through this information and breaking it down for us.

Although, I'm still not sure if doing the phone directly through Apple is for me or not. 250 trade in credit doesn't seem like a lot, or is it? Hmm. I guess the Apple Care thing is nice.

Mortemis

Banned
Does the T-Mobile jump on demand thing still work where you get the new Iphone for $15 a month?

They're announcing their new JOD prices tomorrow, may not be as good as the $15 but we'll see.

I heard murmurs today that every iPhone 6S/+ is going to be a totally unlocked phone, no more carrier specific models

From the apple website, looks like they're doing only 2 models for each phone now, a CDMA and a GSM. If you get the CDMA one you'll be able to use it anywhere, but the GSM model should be more than enough for most carriers around the world. edit: and yeah the CDMA one won't have band 30, thanks secretanchitman

I heard murmurs today that every iPhone 6S/+ is going to be a totally unlocked phone, no more carrier specific models

They actually have two different models this time. One for T-Mobile and AT&T (Include Band 30 LTE and CDMA is disabled), and the other for Sprint and Verizon (CDMA is enabled and Band 30 LTE is not included).

They're announcing their new JOD prices tomorrow, may not be as good as the $15 but we'll see.

From the apple website, looks like they're doing only 2 models for each phone now, a CDMA and a GSM. If you get the CDMA one you'll be able to use it anywhere, but the GSM model should be more than enough for most carriers around the world.

Hoping it's something good. I might leap from Android if they make it worthwhile.

JaseMath

Phone Arena saying 2GBs of RAM.

For me, it's either this or the Nexus 5X. If the RAM stays at 2GB for the Nexus 5 refresh, I'll go iPhone.

Top Bottom