• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Anything who has tried Spotify and Apple Music, which is the better choice?

I'm interested in Apple Music's family plan, which is half the cost of Spotify's. How's the quality of Apple Music and music selection compared to Spotify?

Aurizen

PhillyGAF... there's still hope for you! UPS just came by with my iPhone! That was a nice surprise. And I'm in Fairmount with a restricted zip code, right in the thick of things.

Whoa! idk where mine is there is no tracking update! would be awesome if I got it today... I'm cool with monday but meh.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anything who has tried Spotify and Apple Music, which is the better choice?

I'm interested in Apple Music's family plan, which is half the cost of Spotify's. How's the quality of Apple Music and music selection compared to Spotify?

I really didn't like the implementation of Apple Music on iOS. I haven't used it in a couple of months, but the app had less functionality compared to Spotify and came with all of the frustrations of Apple's "we'll just take care of that for you!" philosophy.

The $15 family plan sounded like a good deal, but I ended up just sticking with Spotify.

You'll find lots more detailed impressions (including some of my own) in that Apple Music thread.

boxter432

I talked to online sprint chat. I'm on a regular two year lease. Once you make a certain amount, you are eligible to switch to the iPhone forever and get their new rates. Switching will yield me a lower rate. However, she quoted me for $23 something, not $9.97. Still cheaper than what I'm paying now.

Talk to online sprint chat and see what the say. I'm curious - get back to me please and let me know what they quote you for the 6S Plus 64GB.

I went to the store, and mine was $24 as well. if you OWNED (not leased) an iphone 6 prior to this, you could trade it in and get the $1 16GB 6 ($10 for plus 64GB)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Lol didn't people know that's what you could do with links & 3D touch in all of Safari anyway? Not that it's not super convenient or anything but with these reactions I would've thought that it was something previously unannounced

Shenmue

Banned
This is one heavy ass phone. You can definitely notice how much heavier it is compared to the 6.

I hope the 6s+ gives that extra heft too. The original 6+ was too light to me. I would often forget where it was because I couldn't feel it in my suit pocket or pants pocket.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah this is amazing.

You can do the same in OS X Safari by tapping links with 3 fingers btw.

In the newer laptops with Force Touch, they changed the default setting for that feature to a medium push on the track pad. You can, of course, change it back in the mouse settings.

I hope the 6s+ gives that extra heft too. The original 6+ was too light to me.

I just held one in a store and I think it feels better. I agree that the 6+ was too light. Combined with the relative lack of grip on the thing, and it always felt like it was going to slip out of my hand at any moment before I got a case for it.

Hey, random and probably stupid question, but cases made for the 6 should fit the 6s, right?

Not sure, actually. The new phones are ever so slightly thicket, I believe.

edit: nevermind, Apple's official leather cases say that support both the 6 and 6S.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...4c0c7d948ce72d63f7db81f0361b10578566976134fd8

I can see 3D touch being a bit frustrating until most apps incorporate it in some way. Right now it's kind of a game of press really hard on your screen to see if you can preview something.

Edit: Page previews on GAF are great for seeing a post someone quoted.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have never been on the S train but the Plus is just too stuttery, and that GAF popping action looks hot. A clearly better camera would push me on the train

Shenmue

Banned
I really didn't like the implementation of Apple Music on iOS. I haven't used it in a couple of months, but the app had less functionality compared to Spotify and came with all of the frustrations of Apple's "we'll just take care of that for you!" philosophy.

The $15 family plan sounded like a good deal, but I ended up just sticking with Spotify.

You'll find lots more detailed impressions (including some of my own) in that Apple Music thread.

I'm currently on Apple Music 3 month trial and I agree with this completely.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^
Nice

Does 3D Touch work on weblinks in Twitter? Tweetbot?

So I stopped by the Apple store but the display iPhones don't have Twitter installed :(. 3D Touch did work on the links in Tumblr so that's very promising. Anyone care to confirm Twitter for me too?

Here you go, probably want to mute it though, my workmates were kinda loud.

Peek the thread arrow instead, that should show the first unread post which is more useful. The thread arrow is kinda awkward to press at the edge of the screen though; perhaps a redesign of mobile GAF is in order...

Yeah this is amazing.

You can do the same in OS X Safari by tapping links with 3 fingers btw.

The OSX Safari is better, it presents an actual scrollable view while iPhone Safari only offers the small preview. I hope when Apple brings it to iPad that they go with the OSX Safari model.

I can see 3D touch being a bit frustrating until most apps incorporate it in some way. Right now it's kind of a game of press really hard on your screen to see if you can preview something.

Edit: Page previews on GAF are great for seeing a post someone quoted.

Yeah, it can be awkward. I was having trouble doing the selection with the 3Dtouch keyboard press. The iPhone keyboard is still a mess in general, Apple needs to sort that out asap

Shenmue

Banned
I just held one in a store and I think it feels better. I agree that the 6+ was too light. Combined with the relative lack of grip on the thing, and it always felt like it was going to slip out of my hand at any moment before I got a case for it.

Nice! That's great to hear! That was my problem too.

Shenmue

Banned
I've had the exact opposite experience. Loving Apple Music and its integration with my music library.

I don't like that it won't let me simply add a song from Apple music to my itunes library on the PC without doing the iCloud thing. Like stop asking me to merge my libary with the iCloud music library!

Bowler

Picking up my reserved rose 64 gig in a few hours from the applestore.

Does anyone know what the trade in is for a regular 5?

and has anyone done the upgrade every year plan? What did it entail?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Peek the thread arrow instead, that should show the first unread post which is more useful. The thread arrow is kinda awkward to press at the edge of the screen though; perhaps a redesign of mobile GAF is in order...

The OSX Safari is better, it presents an actual scrollable view while iPhone Safari only offers the small preview. I hope when Apple brings it to iPad that they go with the OSX Safari model.

Yeah, it can be awkward. I was having trouble doing the selection with the 3Dtouch keyboard press. The iPhone keyboard is still a mess in general, Apple needs to sort that out asap

Peek for forums seems of limited value without the page being scrollable. Thread arrow is ok but on mobile GAF I often don't get it jumping to the right location on a page and without scrolling that is too much of a crapshoot.

Other uses like shortcuts to often used features (selfie cam, Shazam a tune) seems much more practical

Just got my 128GB 6S Plus. I like that it's a little heavier. I'm coming from a 6 Plus so obviously device is pretty familiar to me.

I don't get the live wallpaper for home screens. What's the point? Force touching doesn't do anything. Plus I figured it would just move on its own. I know there are those dynamic wallpapers with the stupid bubbles but those suck. And I still don't get why we can't have wallpaper slideshow. Get on that shit Apple.

I have a dumb question. I'll have the phone well before I go home to my computer with the back up on in, can I just do a clean set up so I can play with it and then later do the back up on my computer?

Anno

To any AT&T Next users: When I told them I wanted to trade back in my iPhone 6, AT&T said they would send a package to use for mailing it in. Haven't received anything yet, but there was a shipping label included with my 6s today; am I suppose to use that label and the box it came in to send in my old phone? Or keep an eye out for another one coming? TIA.

So I guess I'm in - wasn't even on my radar at all until I checked with Verizon and my bill will actually go LOWER (with no outlay) if I upgrade to the 6s. Kind of a no-brainer. My 128GB 6S will be here on 9/29.

Nephtis

Welp, I lost that battle today. I went in to get in line for a reservation, but they ran out of 6s+ models.

I'm gonna have to make a new reservation tomorrow at 8am.

Xcellere

To any AT&T Next users: When I told them I wanted to trade back in my iPhone 6, AT&T said they would send a package to use for mailing it in. Haven't received anything yet, but there was a shipping label included with my 6s today; am I suppose to use that label and the box it came in to send in my old phone? Or keep an eye out for another one coming? TIA.

You use the box that came with the packing slip.

Cool.

I thought iPhone needed a back button, but these preview functions seem to make one irrelevant now.

This is actually a thing in all iPhone models, not 3D touch-specific. Just hold your finger on the album, playlist, artist, or song, and it'll preview for as long as you hold.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is actually a thing in all iPhone models, not 3D touch-specific. Just hold your finger on the album, playlist, artist, or song, and it'll preview for as long as you hold.
I didn't know that, I use Spotify on a galaxy S5 and I don't think the Android version shares this feature.

Reckoner

That was there before 3D Touch lol

How do I set up my gmail through the native mail app?

IIRC you have an option for that. If not, just set as another account and authorize access on your Google settings if you have 2-step security.

Btw the Plus bug is itching me again. Tried one at a store today and the screen is gorgeous. But I know that I will probably regret it when I go to a music festival or something like that and have to carry such a big ass phone while in the crowd.

Just tried my first live photo:)

Now to make it the lock screen and test that out>:)

3D Touch is gonna take some getting used to, I'm scared I'm gonna break the screen pushing so hard.

Top Bottom