• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Aurizen

whoa! my order just mailed out :O I'm so happy I was expecting it to be in October. But I see the status of the tracking is just the label was printed :/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
One IPhone Gaffer has already mentioned it but I'm going to reiterate.

3D Touch + Neo GAF mobile = The Fucking Truth

Peek at every thread without actually having the page open. So good.
What tje fuckkkkk

gimmmick

No plus in store , maybe it's a good sign since it does feel too big in the hand for me.

64 gig , gold 6s it is.

IMG_2997_zpsfwa2axp0.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But it is still actually measurable, and the statement holds true; performance-wise, the smaller is superior.

The important difference is that both should be well above the 'smooth and quick' mark. The older model 6+ was a little too underpowered for the larger screen it was driving.

So for all intensive porpoises they are identical in performance.

Tom_Cody

I am upgrading from a 5S, primarily because I can get the subsidized price and sell my old phone while it still has decent value. But there are plenty of reasons why someone would want to upgrade - larger screen, faster, better camera, 3D Touch. Or are you not interested in any of those?
-To be honest I wish the 6S were smaller than it is. I have an iPad, so I just use my iPhone for communication and for checking stuff when I'm on wireless. The size of the 5S is great for me.
-I don't have an issue with the performance for any of the apps I use currently. I think I was expecting that it would become obsolete more quickly. As of right now the current version of the OS and the apps I use run just fine.
-I guess the new camera would be better than the old camera, but I am still very satified with the current camera for what it is. I don't use my iPhone for serious photography.
-I guess I don't know enough about how 3D Touch would improve improve my experience with the phone.

Hopfrog

-To be honest I wish the 6S were smaller than it is. I have an iPad, so I just use my iPhone for communication and for checking stuff when I'm on wireless. The size of the 5S is great for me.
-I don't have an issue with the performance for any of the apps I use currently. I think I was expecting that it would become obsolete more quickly. As of right now the current version of the OS and the apps I use run just fine.
-I guess the new camera would be better than the old camera, but I am still very satified with the current camera for what it is. I don't use my iPhone for serious photography.
-I guess I don't know enough about how 3D Touch would improve improve my experience with the phone.

That is all perfectly reasonable. I am not saying you should upgrade, as the 5S is still a great phone and sounds perfect for what you need. I was just saying that I can see why people would want to upgrade.

Well I didn't want or need a new phone, and was fully not planning on getting one, as I'm happy with my 6 Plus 64GB. But Sprint has forced my hand. Getting the new 6S Plus 64 GB will actually LOWER my monthly bill considerably, plus I'll be able to upgrade to the 7 the month it launches for essentially nothing.

Space Gray 64 GB 6S Plus will be mine in about a month. Cool.

boxter432

Well I didn't want or need a new phone, and was fully not planning on getting one, as I'm happy with my 6 Plus 64GB. But Sprint has forced my hand. Getting the new 6S Plus 64 GB will actually LOWER my monthly bill considerably, plus I'll be able to upgrade to the 7 the month it launches for essentially nothing.

Space Gray 64 GB 6S Plus will be mine in about a month. Cool.

did you go to the store for their new promo that started today?
I have a 6+ at the $19 rate, and am thinking of walking down to a store to see if I can get the $9.77 64GB 6s+. (don't care if it takes months to come)

Hattori

Banned
The 30$ walmart prepaid thing works with the Upgrade program?

How? I'm tied to Verizon right now and I'm thinking of switching to that
I just gave my phone number as my account number, they asked for a SSN, ask for IDs, swipe a credit card, and I'm on my way home in 30mins. It was that simple :)

Maximus.

I forgot to do a backup of my 5s and now it's in the repair shop getting a new battery... If I set my new phone up as a new phone, am I going to be missing much or do you think it's better to wait to set this up until I get my 5s back and do a backup? I'm not really sure whats included in the backup...

ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What an interesting question because you know the answer lol. Backup has literally all your data and settings and everything. Like a continuation of your old phone. New will not have anything saved. Will have to reinstall all apps and start fresh....

Well, how is it not? Just click the thread, then swipe back? Is that really so hard? iOS 9 even has a built in 'back to app' if a link opens another app.

The entire point was to remove touches and really refine the whole multitouch paradigm. Instead of tapping to open, and swiping back, it's just a harder press. To open you don't even have to take your finger off, just press a little harder.

This may just be new phone excitement but I like the added weight. More proof that I don't need the thinnest, lightest phone in the world over more battery life and added features.

did you go to the store for their new promo that started today?
I have a 6+ at the $19 rate, and am thinking of walking down to a store to see if I can get the $9.77 64GB 6s+. (don't care if it takes months to come)

I talked to online sprint chat. I'm on a regular two year lease. Once you make a certain amount, you are eligible to switch to the iPhone forever and get their new rates. Switching will yield me a lower rate. However, she quoted me for $23 something, not $9.97. Still cheaper than what I'm paying now.

Talk to online sprint chat and see what the say. I'm curious - get back to me please and let me know what they quote you for the 6S Plus 64GB.

Fliesen

Well, how is it not? Just click the thread, then swipe back? Is that really so hard? iOS 9 even has a built in 'back to app' if a link opens another app.

tap-and-hold has a time component. Also, tap-and-hold still exists and does different things.
tapping, loading, swiping back makes you refresh the thread page over and over again.

you literally just PEEK into the thread. It's like quick-look vs. opening the file, on MacOS. It's faster, more comfortable and less disruptive.

nikos

Think I'm gonna hold off on selling my iPhone 6. Need to see if I can get used to the Plus size first. Thing is huge. I don't want to be without a phone if I need to wait to exchange for a 6S, but I have a feeling they'll be available.

Lima

Think I'm gonna hold off on selling my iPhone 6. Need to see if I can get used to the Plus size first. Thing is huge. I don't want to be without a phone if I need to wait to exchange for a 6S, but I have a feeling they'll be available.

Had the same experience last year. Bought the 6+. Thing just was just too fucking big for me. Ended up going to an Apple store and they gave me a 6 and Apple Care cause they couldn't refund me the difference in store.

I say go ahead and return it.

Any way to back up my Overcast podcasts when I transfer to a new phone? I had to do a restore once and I had to redownload everything, which kinda sucked because a lot of the episodes were no longer available for download.

Tom_Cody

That is all perfectly reasonable. I am not saying you should upgrade, as the 5S is still a great phone and sounds perfect for what you need. I was just saying that I can see why people would want to upgrade.
Understood.

I think at this point I'll just wait until I actually have a pressing need to get a new phone. I guess the re-sale value will be less, but overall I'll obviously save money if I end up skipping an entire generation.

Any way to back up my Overcast podcasts when I transfer to a new phone? I had to do a restore once and I had to redownload everything, which kinda sucked because a lot of the episodes were no longer available for download.

I would think the only possibility would be backing up to iTunes and then restoring you new phone from that backup.

TimFL

So anyone else having issues getting your iCloud Music Library onto your new device? The playlists show up just fine but other than that not a single song in my music app.
iTunes also ignores the phone (can't get it to show up for syncing).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The entire point was to remove touches and really refine the whole multitouch paradigm. Instead of tapping to open, and swiping back, it's just a harder press. To open you don't even have to take your finger off, just press a little harder.

Refine the multitouch paradigm - really? Surely it should simply be easy to use.

Tap on link, read page, swipe to go back. Easily understood and quick.

Press at the right pressure to initiate a peek, see page but don't remove your finger! Release to go back. You can't fully interact with the destination even though it would take the same time to load up anyway, the function is hidden and so will need to be learned, the pressures will need to be learned. Also apparantly there are context menus within a peek if you swipe up - eg copy a safari link. That sounds more obfuscated than before.

Just seems cute but not earth shattering.

Refine the multitouch paradigm - really? Surely it should simply be easy to use.

Tap on link, read page, swipe to go back. Easily understood and quick.

Press at the right pressure to initiate a peek, see page but don't remove your finger! Release to go back. You can't fully interact with the destination even though it would take the same time to load up anyway, the function is hidden and so will need to be learned, the pressures will need to be learned.

Just seems cute but not earth shattering.

Haha. It'll take time to see where this really goes. But I think the idea is great so far, and there are less touches. I think as one gets used to it it'll become "natural".

I also think the GS7 and LG G5 will have sloppily-implemented "me-too" versions of this (as well as pink/rose gold options lol).

nikos

Had the same experience last year. Bought the 6+. Thing just was just too fucking big for me. Ended up going to an Apple store and they gave me a 6 and Apple Care cause they couldn't refund me the difference in store.

I say go ahead and return it.

Gonna give it a shot. Something else I'm afraid of is getting used to it and not being able to downsize. Still hoping for a nice compromise between the two sizes next year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Haha. It'll take time to see where this really goes. But I think the idea is great so far, and there are less touches. I think as one gets used to it it'll become "natural".

I also think the GS7 and LG G5 will have sloppily-implemented "me-too" versions of this (as well as pink/rose gold options lol).

Yeah it's probably somewhere in between amazing and shit :) I'm curious to have a play with a demo phone.

omg, somebody record a video of this. I might go out and [try to] buy the phone right now despite having another year on my 6+.

FedEx just stopped by. The bell to the apartments doesn't work so I think if I hadn't spotted the truck and had gone to the hallway he'd have left thinking no one was here. *whew*

About to set up!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

And there goes my killer app.

I'll use 3D Touch a hundred times a day on GAF alone.

Top Bottom