• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Guess Who

Banned
My iPhone 6 is 9.1, about to download Public Beta 2. The 6S is 9.0.1.

I think I also have an encrypted backup of the iPhone 6. How do I see that when I try to restore it to the 6S? I do want my healthkit, etc. info on the new phone.

Once you update your 6S to 9.1, you should be able to restore your 6's backup to it. If it's encrypted there's nothing special you need to do, it'll just prompt for the password you encrypted it with when you pick it to restore.

So question... there is no difference this time between the 6s and the 6s Plus cameras, right? I remember last time around, the main reason I went with the Plus is the better video recording abilities. It appears that there isn't and the only reason to get the Plus this time is better screen resolution and battery life, right?

Of course, I got the 16gb model which was a yooge mistake and make it all for naught, but I digress.

So question... there is no difference this time between the 6s and the 6s Plus cameras, right? I remember last time around, the main reason I went with the Plus is the better video recording abilities. It appears that there isn't and the only reason to get the Plus this time is better screen resolution and battery life, right?

Of course, I got the 16gb model which was a yooge mistake and make it all for naught, but I digress.
Plus has the optimal image stabilization when recording video.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Optical Image Stabilization is still exclusive to the Plus. Here's a comparison video that I found posted on Daring Fireball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDq1QN1oLSw

I can't seem to get the live wallpapers to work. I select it, make sure "live photo" is selected then set. But no movement in either the lock or home screen. Sure I'm missing something here...

philz

I can't seem to get the live wallpapers to work. I select it, make sure "live photo" is selected then set. But no movement in either the lock or home screen. Sure I'm missing something here...

Are you pressing the screen? I was able to get it to work on my lock screen.

Kappa

Hmm, got mine earlier today, T-Mobile grey 6s+. So far so good but the home button has a weird click compared to my 6+, feels different, almost like cheap plastic, like those click tops on bottles to check if they have been open

Plus has the optimal image stabilization when recording video.

Optical Image Stabilization is still exclusive to the Plus. Here's a comparison video that I found posted on Daring Fireball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDq1QN1oLSw

Thanks guys! The stabilization makes a huge difference in that video, so I guess I'll go with the Plus again. I was looking for a reason to go with the smaller one, but the shaky video is a deal killer.

Shenmue

Banned
How's the performance?

The 2gb ram it's definitely super duper noticeable. Haven't had a single refresh or crash yet. I do however notice some jutter when scrolling through things though.

Also had a few instances of it hanging for just a second when entering text into a field, but that could be due to the third party keyboard.

Oh also the better contrast is immediately noticeable when i put my phones side by side. Contrast on the new phone is better.

All in all, a huge improvement over the original 6+!!

jaydogg691

About time! My first white phone since the 4S.

1KAAkCp.jpg

I'm going to miss you 6 Plus.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, cool. Just noticed that the 120 fps slow-mo option is now 1080p (up from 720p from the 6 generation).

Ambient80

I gotta say, the rose gold looks really slick in person. Not nearly as pink as I thought looking at the site. I may have to be bold and go for it :p

Shenmue

Banned
For those on TMobile, does the support for the extra wireless band made LTE coverage improve inside buildings?

Yes!

I live in Tustin California and tmo turned it on in my city yesterday. I was getting 4g in parts of my home. Now i get nothing but lte. Bottom floor restroom was the worst, now i get super fast lte on the crapper.

The craziest part is when i drove through these hills that i have to go through everyday to go home from work. It used to be a dead zone where id get no data at all and my calls would usually drop. Fucking 3 bars and LTE now!!!

Check their newsroom blog to see if they turned on the new band in your city though.

MRSA

Banned
I gotta say, the rose gold looks really slick in person. Not nearly as pink as I thought looking at the site. I may have to be bold and go for it :p

Its straight up pink

can't wait to have this complaint. The fingerprint stuff on the 5S has always sucked. I mostly stopped using it after like a week or two.

The Touch ID worked fine for me on my old 6, just quick enough for me to have a double take on everything. Now its too fast.

I'm trying to restore an iCloud backup, and I'm stuck on a "slide to upgrade" screen where I slide, I enter the pin, and it moves the progress bar for a second before looping. What do I do now?

MRSA

Banned
For those on TMobile, does the support for the extra wireless band made LTE coverage improve inside buildings?

If extended range LTE (Band 12) got greenlit in your area then you'll notice a significant difference. LA and Orange County went live yesterday (Probably in anticipation of the 6s) and I haven't noticed anything yet, but I always had good signal here where I am.

Meh3D

What adblockers are y'all using? I would like to try one out.

I bought the 128 GB rose gold iPhone 6s. I received it at 1:40 PM today. I took it to the Apple Store to set it up there just in case there's an issue out of the box.

One of the employees thought I didn't want the Rosegold and excitedly kept asking if I would like a silver or space gray iPhone. I stayed with the rose gold.

Mobius 1

Yes!

I live in Tustin California and tmo turned it on in my city yesterday. I was getting 4g in parts of my home. Now i get nothing but lte. Bottom floor restroom was the worst, now i get super fast lte on the crapper.

The craziest part is when i drove through these hills that i have to go through everyday to go home from work. It used to be a dead zone where id get no data at all and my calls would usually drop. Fucking 3 bars and LTE now!!!

Check their newsroom blog to see if they turned on the new band in your city though.

If extended range LTE (Band 12) got greenlit in your area then you'll notice a significant difference. LA and Orange County went live yesterday (Probably in anticipation of the 6s) and I haven't noticed anything yet, but I always had good signal here where I am.

Cheers. It's available here (SATX). This might justify the upgrade, I get no signal inside my workplace and have to rely on WiFi.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man 3D Touch even works on places in Maps

You're right. Wow, that's super handy... Find a place on the map and quickly give them a call, for example. Nice. I hope Google Maps adds this functionality soon.

Siri recognition is vastly improved. Combined with 'hey siri' it's almost as responsive Google's app

I'm actually really impressed with "Hey, Siri" so far. I know it's been a pretty common feature on Android for a while now, but it's nice. I probably won't use it for a ton more than "Hey, Siri, how do I get home from here?" but that's still a nice feature.

Shun

Wow, they just got here. 2 minutes before the end of their delivery shift...

Dammit... Why wait till 6:58 to deliver when I was sitting here all day...

Well, this is fun. I'm having to explain over the phone to someone how to put the iPhone into DFU mode, update via iTunes not he computer, and then do a restore from iCloud because iOS 9.0 is borked for new phones. yay!

yay!

yay!

where's my damn iPhone. i hate this.

Shun

Man fuck I'm pissed, they only delivered one of the Rose Gold 6S+ models I ordered.

I'm missing my other. What the fuck...

SeanR1221

After nearly a day of using the 6S I kinda feel that Touch ID works too fast now.

I often click the home button to glance at the time and it's always unlocking my phone before I even have a split second to press the button down. Hard to get used to.

Came here to post this. It's almost too accurate now.

RDreamer

The Touch ID worked fine for me on my old 6, just quick enough for me to have a double take on everything. Now its too fast.

On the 5s I can definitely unlock via code way faster than with a fingerprint. And that's if it actually gets the fingerprint the first time.

Shun

Man I thought my waiting would pay off after being teased the entire day. Only to get trolled the last minute again.

I am feeling simultaneous joy and disappointment.

Why...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Man I thought my waiting would pay off after being teased the entire day. Only to get trolled the last minute again.

I am feeling simultaneous joy and disappointment.

Why...

Whose is the second phone? Let it be their disappointment, hah.

Top Bottom