• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Shun

Finished speaking with Verizon with help from my housemates and they confirmed that I should get my 128GB between Monday and no later than Wednesday.

Better confirm this and not give me bullshit again. Damn. Coulda gotten it today or tomorrow. but nope.

Just pissed off because UPS took forever to deliver my phone and not seeing my other 6S+ was a slap in the face, a troll for making me wait the entire day at home wondering when they'd come in.

Hopefully they deliver within a reasonable timeframe and not 2 minutes before end of operations again...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Battery life is now horrible though, even after a replacement I did myself.
You have to be careful which battery you buy. It feels like 99% of the batteries you can find on ebay are some refurbished old batteries where the firmware is reflashed to report that the battery is new.

Red

Battery life is now horrible though, even after a replacement I did myself.
I get like 6 hrs of usage on my 5s, but I have to keep location and notifications off and leave brightness near 0.

Battery is one of the main reasons I am upgrading.

The 6S will become slow over time with each new ios update after Iphone7 comes out.

Not trying to be cynical, but it's just reality. By this time 2 years from now, your 6S will likely be almost as slow as your 5S is now.
So true, and so depressing.

But I'll enjoy this speed for now :-D

(Coming from 4S)

Rootbeer

Banned
Didn't have much to do outside the house today after getting my 6S+, but went to pick up an amiibo pre-order, get some food and do some light shopping. Was about 4 hours or so of activity. Used Apple pay a few times to test it out.

My nexus 5 would have used 40% battery, maybe 50% depending on how much I had the screen on. My 6S+ was still over 90%.

This is gonna change my life. LOL.

On my 5s, with a paired Watch (BTLE on), Airdrop (contacts only), cell data on, brightness about 40%, I typically got about 12-16 hours use on a full charge. That 12 if I was streaming a lot of music over cellular. Now maybe the always-on Hey Siri will be a massive drain, but I'm quite sure Apple has already tested this and felt it wouldn't significantly drain battery (and believe some tech in the 6s optimizes this). So I'd expect similar or better battery rates for the 6S/6S+.

I have all that crap on and have been getting 7 hours usage on my 6+. I use bluetooth for at least an hour every day, usually more like 1.5 hours. Tons of screen on time.

Just for fun, tomorrow I'll turn all that crap on and report my % back. I'm guaranteeing sub-5 hours. I never use Siri because it's such a battery hog. And using Bluetooth for 1-1.5 hours a day is not the same as having it always-on 24/7.

You've gotta stop over exaggerating.

That's redundant.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
PLEASE HELP

I'm having a brain fart. I have an iPhone 6 on the iOS public beta - currently 9.1 beta 2 or something like that.

I just upgraded my new 6s to 9.0.1 ... it's unable to restore from an iCloud backup, because, obviously, my old iPhone is on a higher upgrade.

I can't for the life of me remember how to get my new 6s to 9.1, so that I may use my back up.

Edit: Never mind, I remember... you have to download that profile from Apple. DUH.

Rootbeer

Banned
PLEASE HELP

I'm having a brain fart. I have an iPhone 6 on the iOS public beta - currently 9.1 beta 2 or something like that.

I just upgraded my new 6s to 9.0.1 ... it's unable to restore from an iCloud backup, because, obviously, my old iPhone is on a higher upgrade.

I can't for the life of me remember how to get my new 6s to 9.1, so that I may use my back up.

Here you go. follow these instructions

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Shun

Is it just me or does the inside of the Rose Gold iPhone box actually smell like roses...

I'm serious my Rose Gold box, the inside smells like a bouquet of roses. Please tell me I'm not hallucinating or if I am the only one...

Is it just me or does the inside of the Rose Gold iPhone box actually smell like roses...

I'm serious my Rose Gold box, the inside smells like a bouquet of roses. Please tell me I'm not hallucinating or if I am the only one...

I'll let you know when I get mine in a month :(

Fjordson

Setup on my 6S from my backup. Pretty nice coming from a 5. Screen seems crisper (like closer to the glass maybe?) and brighter and 3D Touch is pretty great.

Only thing that's annoying is that my backup didn't bring over my ringtones from my old phone.

A part of me is wanting to switch to the regular 6s, from 6s+.

Is the grass greener on the other side? I can't really imagine myself using this atm.

Messing around with it indoors is great, but I don't know about carrying it around. Even after seeing my coworker's 6+ and plenty of demo usage, I was surprised at the hefty (admittedly beautiful) slab of a phone.

I'll try to allow more time to settle in though. Weird how the initial impression is shock and then your brain tries to tell you it's not that big.

Shun

Hmm, I might just go for 6S+, the bigger battery is so tempting.

Didn't know if you saw.

Should I try Apple financing or just go ahead and buying the phone outright with a ¥20,000 coupon? I was considering the latter until I saw the former.

And with such a big purchase I am seriously contemplating AppleCare this time. Although when I bought my iPhone 5 64GB outright I didn't buy AppleCare. Aside from the messed up sleep button or home button (I forget which it was now but I was within warranty when it happened), I haven't had any issues with my iPhone 5 and I'm really careful with it always using a strong case in addition to a screen protector and carbon fiber.

I want to go 6S 128GB but 6S+ 128GB is tempting, but it's like a ¥10,000 difference and 6S+ might be too big for my pockets (I don't always wear my cargo pants and khakis anymore lol).

Really first world problems here.

Go pay it off so that you own it. Do you use SoftBank, au, or docomo? They might have a deal, I got a good price on the 5S when I got it.

Sendai has an Apple Store that you might be able to test out. I would go for the 6S+ if you want the better battery, screen, and better photos/videos.
I wear form fitting jeans from Uniqlo and Naked and Famous and they fit my pockets fine. The times where they don't I have pockets on my jacket or a chest pocket on a shirt or a bag to put it in. No big deal in my opinion.

I think it's worth the ¥10,000 difference. Especially since you're paying like what ¥118,000+tax for it, mind as well have it last.

Though if you do get a 6S+ I suggest you go order a case from FocalPoint or amazon.jp because since the phone is bigger it may be more susceptible to damage.

tunewear make good everyday cases and glass screen protector and alto make really nice luxury leather case. There are a lot of option on both FocalPoint and amazon.jp

burgerdog

Craaaaaaap, can't update because my 5S was on 9.1. Is there anyway for me to update the 6S+ to 9.1 and then restore from that back up?

Hatchtag

Banned
Deciding a color is the only thing stopping me from buying one of these. I kinda want Rose Gold or regular Gold but I can't decide if I could pull it off. I like the black front of Space Gray, but hate that the back isn't black as well.

FYI the 6S gets slightly better reception than the 6S+. Telstra just did their blue tick test and the 6S is the first iPhone to get the blue tick since the 5C.

Owari

A part of me is wanting to switch to the regular 6s, from 6s+.

Is the grass greener on the other side? I can't really imagine myself using this atm.

Messing around with indoors is great, but I don't know about carrying it around. Even after seeing my coworker's 6, and plenty of demo usage, I was surprised at the hefty (admittedly beautiful) slab of a phone.

I'll try to allow more time to settle in though. Weird how the initial impression is shock and then your brain tries to tell you it's not that big.
It is that big.

FYI the 6S gets slightly better reception than the 6S+. Telstra just did their blue tick test and the 6S is the first iPhone to get the blue tick since the 5C.
Another win for the 6S

So I've heard people mention Purify, is that the best ad blocker out there? I don't mind paying a little for a good one

Got it on my iPad and it definitely works. One thing I wish they would tell you is that even though you turn it on in the Purify settings, you also have to go into Safari settings and grant it access.

Shenmue

Banned

Mine doesn't...

EDIT: Actually it does have some sort of sweet smell now that I took a deep whiff!

So I've heard people mention Purify, is that the best ad blocker out there? I don't mind paying a little for a good one

I think some website did a test of like 20 blockers and found that 1blocker was the fastest and saved the most data usage? Let me try to find that link.

Found it: https://brooksreview.net/2015/09/content-blocker-test/

https://brooksreview.net/2015/09/data-savings/

ZeroX03

Banned
Got it on my iPad and it definitely works. One thing I wish they would tell you is that even though you turn it on in the Purify settings, you also have to go into Safari settings and grant it access.

They tell you that the first time you open the app. And there's an option to replay the tutorial on the main screen.

Mine doesn't...

EDIT: Actually it does have some sort of sweet smell now that I took a deep whiff!

#smellgate

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The 2gb ram it's definitely super duper noticeable. Haven't had a single refresh or crash yet. I do however notice some jutter when scrolling through things though.

Also had a few instances of it hanging for just a second when entering text into a field, but that could be due to the third party keyboard.

Oh also the better contrast is immediately noticeable when i put my phones side by side. Contrast on the new phone is better.

All in all, a huge improvement over the original 6+!!
yesssss I can't wait!

Cobalt_fury

Unconfirmed Member
Nabbed my 6S today. Big jump up from my 5S. I'm actually ever so slightly annoyed at the fact that I can't one-hand my phone effectively anymore. Haha. Can't reach the top left icons without adjusting my hand.

So glad I didn't get the Plus. Would be way too big for me. In both use and storage (pocket, etc)

Very happy so far. And damn if the camera isn't an all star. So happy.

Thrilled too that I painlessly reserved this phone only 7 days ago and walked into the store to pick it up today.

You probably know this but if you double tap the home button the top of the screen drops down to halfway so you can reach the top when one handing.

Don't push the button until it clicks, just tap as if the screen was already on and you were using your fingerprint to unlock.

Just went to the store to try it out. I can see how force touch on the home screen will be insanely useful for 3rd party apps...and when the jailbreak community gets a hold of it? Hoahboy...

Edit: something I realized about 3d touch is I'm going to have to put my more used apps towards the bottom half of the screen instead of the top, since whenever I tried to force touch toward the top the phone tended to start to slip out of my hand. Interesting developments for sure...

ZeroX03

Banned

If it's still on special ($1), grab it now. Content blockers are still in their infancy, it'll probably take a while before every shakes out and a king is crowned.

Me reading this thread:

giphy.gif

When this is my order status:

57SIwTa.png

Arlen777

Mine smells like Space

Shenmue

Banned
yesssss I can't wait!

You're going to love it!

If you looked at my previous posts in this thread I was SUPER negative about the original 6+. This revision is just amazing. Total 180 for me after how crappy the original 6+ was for me.

Just in this short time, the Force Touch has become second nature for me. Even with the Spigen tempered glass screen protector, I can activate it 100% of the time accurately (differentiating between the harder force push and the normal hold from the older iphones). I thought this feature was going to be throwaway for me, but wow I'm really surprised.

Mine smells like Space

"Are those space pants? Because your ass is out of this world." I dunno why, but it reminded me of this stupid pickup line.

ZeroX03

Banned
I really don't agree with saying "one is better than the other" they're both great phones to me, it's just about practicality and the lifestyle of the person that will decide a larger phone, or a smaller phone. That's it.

Don't mind jaxapollo, he's determined to prove that the 6/S Plus should be wiped off the face of the map. The map that's bigger and sharper on the Plus screen, ironically.

Wizman23

Banned
Coming from the 5 I'm blown away by this phone . I can only imagine how the 4S upgrade people feel. That being said I picked up my 5 a few minutes ago after using the 6S all day and it felt like a feather. I hope apple goes back to smaller phones one of these days.

Shenmue

Banned
Don't mind jaxapollo, he's determined to prove that the 6/S Plus should be wiped off the face of the map. The map that's bigger and sharper on the Plus screen, ironically.

If it makes jaxapollo feel any better. I showed my wife my Rose Gold 6s+ tonight and she was so enamored with the color that she asked me to order her a Rose Gold 6s. So I guess another point for the 6s side? Yay?

Coming from the 5 I'm blown away by this phone . I can only imagine how the 4S upgrade people feel. That being said I picked up my 5 a few minutes ago after using the 6S all day and it felt like a feather. I hope apple goes back to smaller phones one of these days.

Not only light, but doesn't it feel like your hand will just swallow the 5 whole after you've used the 6 for a while?

Shun

So 3 people noticed the scent, anyone else? Should I make new thread for new news.

New Rose Gold iPhone 6S smells like Roses out of the box.

Shenmue

Banned
Another thing I've noticed with this phone is that the color is really deceptive. Almost like those odd color changing paint jobs people get on cars and motorcycles sometimes.

In 2700K light, which is the yellow tinted, "warm" light that most people will use in their living rooms and bedrooms, the phone looks just like rose gold jewelry, or in other words, gold, but without the yellow tint in the regular gold iphone. Instead it has that copper/pink tint that we usually associate with rose gold jewelry.

In 5500K-6500K light, which is the very white light, otherwise known as "Daylight", which people often use in kitchens, bathrooms, home theaters, or workshops, the phone looks much more pink. In my opinion it's still not bright pink, but definitely more pink than the normal "rose gold" jewelry.

Just an observation if anyone was wondering.

Another thing I've noticed with this phone is that the color is really deceptive. Almost like those odd color changing paint jobs people get on cars and motorcycles sometimes.

In 2700K light, which is the yellow tinted, "warm" light that most people will use in their living rooms and bedrooms, the phone looks just like rose gold jewelry, or in other words, gold, but without the yellow tint in the regular gold iphone. Instead it has that copper/pink tint that we usually associate with rose gold jewelry.

In 5500K-6500K light, which is the very white light, otherwise known as "Daylight", which people often use in kitchens, bathrooms, home theaters, or workshops, the phone looks much more pink. In my opinion it's still not bright pink, but definitely more pink than the normal "rose gold" jewelry.

Trippy.

Shun

The Rose Gold iPhone has features exclusive to the Rose Gold model such as Rose Scented, dynamic color-changing 7000 aluminum, and two tone metallics.

Who wants to make the thread?

Top Bottom