• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

SeanR1221

Ok, heres what Im gonna do after looking over the numbers.

Order the 6s+ on saturday from Apple

ship my 6 off to Gazelle

After the 6s+ comes in, go to ATT and pay off my phone.

Wait until the gazelle money comes in and I'll be in good shape.

Thanks for the help, Borghe

I've never bought a unlocked phone since I have always been on contract. Now that things are changing with the carriers and their pricing plan I am going to get a unlocked 6S. Now since I've never done this I have a question. I am still on contract until February of next year, if I took the Verizon SIM card out of my 5S and put it in the unlocked 6S would it be problematic?

Vyer

One thing I don't get- what's the difference between pushing hard to get a preview or just holding the touch to get a preview? For the maps link, tap it to open or hold it to preview...why the need for a new touch technology? Or does light hold/hard hold do different things?
s.

from what I gather, it looks more like fluidity between multiple levels. Like the bit of pressure opens the preview like a long press, but even more pressure actually jumps to a full open of the application without actually releasing. or a release jumps you back to the beginning. so I think it'll be a little more wide ranging than just like the maps preview in that example. it will be interesting to see how it gets expanded in the future by both apple and other devs

samn

One thing I don't get- what's the difference between pushing hard to get a preview or just holding the touch to get a preview? For the maps link, tap it to open or hold it to preview...why the need for a new touch technology? Or does light hold/hard hold do different things?

If you hold the touch on a map, you get the 'Copy | More...' bar. If you hold on other content you either get that bar or you get a menu rising from the bottom for other actions.

Also, without the pressure sensing, you wouldn't be able to choose whether to go back or to follow the link once you were in preview mode.

TylerD

It will also need to be important for the applications you are using to make it apparent where or that you can use the different touch pressures. I think it will be a very satisfying to use if they do that and there is some consistency.

Ok, heres what Im gonna do after looking over the numbers.

Order the 6s+ on saturday from Apple

ship my 6 off to Gazelle

After the 6s+ comes in, go to ATT and pay off my phone.

Wait until the gazelle money comes in and I'll be in good shape.

Thanks for the help, Borghe

This is my plan (I think) as well. Order the 6S+ for store pick up with the Apple Upgrade Program. Ship my 6+ off to NextWorth after picking up the 6S+. I assume you just make the first of your installment payments when you pick up at Apple, and with what I'll get from NextWorth it will cover the rest of my 11 payments until the 7 comes out.

Might be the first iPhone I use in a good 6 years.

Probably going to just buy it outright if I end up getting one since I'm on cricket and would like to have the option of selling the device whenever I want to move on to something else.

Red

I have a $400 Apple gift card. I wonder how best to use this to have the phone on T Mobile. I guess just buy the phone outright and put the remainder on a payment plan.

djblue89

I have two questions for Canadians on here.

1- Has anyone used Orchard to sell their old iPhones with ?

2- What is the best way to get an iPhone 6S+ for a hardware upgrade ? Is it possible to reserve for an upgrade on the 12th ? Should I reserve with my service provider ?

Thanks,

subrock

I have two questions for Canadians on here.

1- Has anyone used Orchard to sell their old iPhones with ?

2- What is the best way to get an iPhone 6S+ for a hardware upgrade ? Is it possible to reserve for an upgrade on the 12th ? Should I reserve with my service provider ?

Thanks,

Orchard is actually my buddy Bruno's business. I'd sell with confidence through them. I'm going to try to sell through social networks before Orchard, but it's my second bet.

You'll have to reserve your phone with your carrier. Keep an eye on whoever it is and they should have an announcement for preorder dates. The process almost always sucks more than Apple's but you have to jump through their hoops

Can you pre-order on Friday and then collect from a US Apple Store?

i second the question

surprisingly apple has not allowed this the past year or so I believe. So you'll have to see.

I preordered my 6+ as soon as they went live last September, and I picked it up from my local Apple Store. In fact, for the 64 gb 6+ I wanted, the only option was store pick up, they wouldn't let me ship it.

Also with the Apple Upgrade Program you have to preorder for pick up if you are going that route.

Squalor

Hopefully the (ridiculously early) rumors that the iPhone 7 could be as thin as the current iPods wind up being false.

gimmmick

Sure, but it just doesn't feel like enough reason to upgrade at all. I want the new and completely redesigned hotness when I buy a new phone, not the spec bumped hotness from last year.

It is sure to be a spectacular phone though, no doubts on that count.

Tick - Toc upgrade cycles. Some people prefer a new designed phone every upgrade, others like me want refinement and upgrades towards optics and specs.

Well, it's just a matter of preferences.
Upgrade from a 6 to a 6S (or from one year's model to the next one) is definitely just for tech-lovers.
To me, the sweet spot is upgrading every two years. The choice, then, is to upgrade from n to n+1, or to upgrade from n S to n+1 S.
I found S models to be more reliable, and more efficient when the end of the 2-year cycle is coming.

I have a 5S, and the main reason I discarded upgrading to a 6 was that it didn't have 2GB of RAM. This RAM upgrade is the typical change you will get in an S model. It's not earth-shattering, might not be even a selling point for Apple, but it will make your phone much more powerful in the long run.
Same with the 64bit processor.
I'm sure my 5S is in much better position to handle current software than the 5 was one year ago.

This. Though you can make the argument with the saturation of hardware upgrades (or maturity) that each cycles is able to hold it's own now and not to have worry about futur proofing.

Since apple is offering unlocked devices through their new iPhone Upgrade option, I understand that means you can use the phone with any carrier.

So right now I have ATT and I've been thinking of switching to Verizon. If I get the new unlocked phone and use it with ATT do I have the option later to port my number to Verizon AND keep my new 6S iPhone?

Thaedolus

Since apple is offering unlocked devices through their new iPhone Upgrade option, I understand that means you can use the phone with any carrier.

So right now I have ATT and I've been thinking of switching to Verizon. If I get the new unlocked phone and use it with ATT do I have the option later to port my number to Verizon AND keep my new 6S iPhone?

As long as your don't have a contract with ATT it should mean that. It used to be Verizon-specific models were required due to CDMA (I believe?) but it sounds like all the iPhones are cross compatible.

Well, it's just a matter of preferences.
Upgrade from a 6 to a 6S (or from one year's model to the next one) is definitely just for tech-lovers.
To me, the sweet spot is upgrading every two years. The choice, then, is to upgrade from n to n+1, or to upgrade from n S to n+1 S.
I found S models to be more reliable, and more efficient when the end of the 2-year cycle is coming.

I have a 5S, and the main reason I discarded upgrading to a 6 was that it didn't have 2GB of RAM. This RAM upgrade is the typical change you will get in an S model. It's not earth-shattering, might not be even a selling point for Apple, but it will make your phone much more powerful in the long run.
Same with the 64bit processor.
I'm sure my 5S is in much better position to handle current software than the 5 was one year ago.

This is my thought process as well. My wife is on the 2 year cycle where she gets the big refresh, I'm on the 2 year cycle where I get the refined version. I prefer my phone's refinement. It's like buying a car a couple years after the refresh. Work out the kinks on the beta testers, I want the no bugs version.

If you aren't on a contract, you could in theory switch carriers whenever you'd like and keep the 6S. You are paying for the phone through Apple not the carriers.

Anno

Anyone else on the AT&T NEXT program? When do I have to give them back my iPhone 6? Is it due back after I get my 6s?

I think its when you switch over to the new phone, assuming you've made you qualifying number of payments.

Actually, to piggyback on this question, is there an easy trade in place that pays out better than Gazelle? I can buyout my 6 for I think $260 by the time the 6S is out. Gazelle is offering me $300. Obviously that's still worth doing rather than trading it in, but only just. I don't imagine anyone pays much more, just curious if there's something out there in not aware of.

Just a point of note. As the Apple Upgrade Program is funded by Citizens Bank as a loan. You have to go through a credit check and get a hard pull on your credit report.

I think its when you switch over to the new phone, assuming you've made you qualifying number of payments.

Actually, to piggyback on this question, is there an easy trade in place that pays out better than Gazelle? I can buyout my 6 for I think $260 by the time the 6S is out. Gazelle is offering me $300. Obviously that's still worth doing rather than trading it in, but only just. I don't imagine anyone pays much more, just curious if there's something out there in not aware of.

Ah, got it! So when I get my new phone delivered, and I activate it, just run my 6 over to AT&T.

Last question, but it's just the device right? I don't owe them a charger/headphones/original packaging, do I?

MRSA

Banned
So the Apple Upgrade Program is a good deal?

64GB 6S at $37 a month for 24 months is $888, buying the phone outright is $749 + $129 = $878, difference of $10.

Thaedolus

So the Apple Upgrade Program is a good deal?

64GB 6S at $37 a month for 24 months is $888, buying the phone outright is $749 + $129 = $878, difference of $10.

It's not bad, especially getting a new phone each year if desired. Including Apple care is good too. I wish I had it on my 5S which had the screen separation problem out of warranty.

Anno

Ah, got it! So when I get my new phone delivered, and I activate it, just run my 6 over to AT&T.

Last question, but it's just the device right? I don't owe them a charger/headphones/original packaging, do I?

I'm actually trying to find that out now. I'm assuming not, but who knows. I'm just going to put in my preorder and run everything over to an ATT store if they don't give further instructions as part of the order.

So with the new iPhone upgrade option on Apple's site, will I be able to still upgrade via ATT Next on the Apple site? I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to pre-order this from, and I don't want to be stuck not being able to upgrade via Next on Apple's site.

garath

Just a point of note. As the Apple Upgrade Program is funded by Citizens Bank as a loan. You have to go through a credit check and get a hard pull on your credit report.

Got the details on that? Since the advertisement says only for people with a valid credit card, it might just be backed by your own credit card, not an actual credit check. It does say "qualified" so that could be a credit check. Of course the full terms link has a "coming soon" landing page lol

Natiko

Banned
Am I correct in assuming I can only do the Apple Upgrade Program if I get out from under what I currently owe on my AT&T Next plan phone? Barring paying for two phones concurrently that is.

I'm intrigued with the T-Mobile jump for iPhone 6s being so cheap.

They say that if you are not satisfied they will unlock the phone for free? Why are phones still locked!?!!

Also, what exactly is the benefit of the Apple Upgrade program over something like ATT Next? It seems like I'd be paying more (just a tad) via the Upgrade program even including AppleCare+ (which costs $100 typically, correct?).

The 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus should be $950, right? With ATT Next 12, the monthly payments would be $47.50 over 20 months. Add in AppleCare+, and you are looking at $1050 spent over 20 months. That's assuming AppleCare+ will be $100 (correct me if I'm wrong).

With the Apple Upgrade Program, you are looking at 24 payments of $44.91 with AppleCare+ included. That's about ~$1080.

Is the main benefit being able to theoretically switch carriers once a year? I'd probably be just fine sticking with ATT Next, I think. Also, a general question. Do the monthly payments reset if you upgrade after 12 months?

Bowler

I don't have a apple store anywhere near me. there is a verizon store and a bestbuy though... with those stores have a preorder system in place?

It's not bad, especially getting a new phone each year if desired. Including Apple care is good too. I wish I had it on my 5S which had the screen separation problem out of warranty.

The way you casually just called it "the screen separation problem" makes me think that it's a pretty common issue... I had this happen to me; I thought it was my fault! I was able to squeeze the glass back into place but there is noticeable dust under the glass now.

MRSA

Banned
I'm thinking of upgrading from my 6 to 6S simply for Band 12 (6 didn't include this and it significantly improves reception in SoCal area). I'm intrigued with T-Mobile's option.

Natiko

Banned
Also, what exactly is the benefit of the Apple Upgrade program over something like ATT Next? It seems like I'd be paying more (just a tad) via the Upgrade program even including AppleCare+ (which costs $100 typically, correct?).

The 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus should be $950, right? With ATT Next 12, the monthly payments would be $47.50 over 20 months. Add in AppleCare+, and you are looking at ~$1050 spent over 20 months. That's assuming AppleCare+ will be $100 (correct me if I'm wrong).

With the Apple Upgrade Program, you are looking at 24 payments of $44.91 with AppleCare+ included. That's about ~$1080.

Is the main benefit being able to theoretically switch carriers once a year? I'd probably be just fine sticking with ATT Next, I think. Also, a general question. Do the monthly payments reset if you upgrade after 12 months?

If you assume that you'll be getting the new iPhone every 12 months regardless of plan, then the Apple Upgrade Program is cheaper per year than AT&T Next. Yes, when you switch to a new phone with either program you are resetting your payments back to another 24/20 months depending on which you're on.

Got the details on that? Since the advertisement says only for people with a valid credit card, it might just be backed by your own credit card, not an actual credit check. It does say "qualified" so that could be a credit check. Of course the full terms link has a "coming soon" landing page lol
here is what it says

1. The iPhone Upgrade Program is available to qualified customers only with a valid U.S. personal credit card. Requires a 24-month installment loan with Citizens Bank, N.A. and iPhone activation with a national carrier — AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon. Full terms apply.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm impressed the 3DTouch so far, UI seems to use clear recognizable elements for the most part. Interested to see how well the implementation UX works. Any confirmation if the cursor scrolling is available by 3DTouch? I was waiting for ApplePay in Canada (or Apple pen for iPhone Plus) but am tempted to upgrade for this. Price is crazy thoufh
My guess 6s 299 6s+ 399 for base models.

Think higher. Base model 6 was $265 and 6s was $375 last year but raised to $350 and $480, respectively in March. Up it goes again I guess

Top Bottom