• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Aurizen

when I reset my phone and everything does that disable find my iphone? or should I do that first then reset? I'm excited tomorrow is the big day I get my iphone :D

Mortemis

Banned
Got my 6S+ on friday, and I've been playing around with it ever since. I waited to post here until I can have a full write up on my thoughts but for now all I can say is that I'm really enjoying it.

Nope. I assume those keyboard makers need to code it in. One reason I'm using the official keyboard for now

Quick question, I saw in one of your older posts that you got the silicone case for your phone. How do you like it? I got a leather case on release day, and as much as I love how it looks it's almost just as slippery as having it naked and I'm not liking it too well when holding it.

I've heard it gets stuck in pockets pretty easily and racks up lint. Has it been an issue?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seattle, is T-Mobile headquarters city of course its blazing fast haha.

Not necessarily. I heard it was junk for a long time. I don't think they have their extended LTE stuff in this market yet, either.

For those complaining that TouchID is too fast (wut?), maybe try setting it to memorize/unlock with the pad of your finger (without scanning in the tip), and then use the tip to press the home button for time checks or whatever?

It may take a few days to remember, but should allow you to eat your cake and have it too.

Shun

Some Targets were selling these for clearance, 11.98 from 39.99.

uuN98ZA.jpg

mandiller

Quick question, I saw in one of your older posts that you got the silicone case for your phone. How do you like it? I got a leather case on release day, and as much as I love how it looks it's almost just as slippery as having it naked and I'm not liking it too well when holding it.

I've heard it gets stuck in pockets pretty easily and racks up lint. Has it been an issue?

I love the silicone cases. I had one on my regular 6 as well before this one. It's quite grippy and stops the phone from being slippery. It feels high quality and rigid as opposed to some flimsy third party silicone cases. No issues at all with lint and gathering dust for me. It's the perfect case to me.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Pretty happy with this battery life. Was able to browse, game, and stream video a decent amount today and am sitting at 20%. (6S+) had my Bluetooth on all day connected to my Fitbit as well.

jimmypython

Hi all,

I noticed that music would stutter for half a second every time I launch or exit the camera app. is it normal or a bug in iOS 9.1 beta 2?

6S 64G here

Rootbeer

Banned
Hard to understand the 'touch is too fast' comments. I touch the button all the time to look at notifications. You might have to do a little retraining to get in the habit of picking your finger up off the button and not let it linger there unless you want it to unlock. Seems like a minor thing though. I have never had it unlock when I didn't want it too so far.

Some Targets were selling these for clearance, 11.98 from 39.99.

'were' or 'are'?

I will try to find one tomorrow.

What a savings!

Further, I just wanted to mention Wi-Fi calling real quick. My previous phone did not support this. I noticed it was not enabled by default on my 6S+, and I only just now turned it on. If you are on a carrier that supports Wi-Fi calling... you should think about turning that on. I now have perfect coverage at home where previously I got 1 bar (2 if lucky) at all times. It doesn't cost extra... and depending on your plan it could allow you to receive certain calls for free.

BTW, I'm on T-Mobile prepaid (that awesome $30 plan is perfect for me), and even the prepaid plan has Wi-Fi calling support.

Shun

Hard to understand the 'touch is too fast' comments. I touch the button all the time to look at notifications. You might have to do a little retraining to get in the habit of picking your finger up off the button and not let it linger there unless you want it to unlock. Seems like a minor thing though. I have never had it unlock when I didn't want it too so far.

'were' or 'are'?

I will try to find one tomorrow.

What a savings!

Further, I just wanted to mention Wi-Fi calling real quick. My previous phone did not support this. I noticed it was not enabled by default on my 6S+, and I only just now turned it on. If you are on a carrier that supports Wi-Fi calling... you should think about turning that on. I now have perfect coverage at home where previously I got 1 bar (2 if lucky) at all times. It doesn't cost extra... and depending on your plan it could allow you to receive certain calls for free.

Check your local stores through Brickseek

Vyer

Hello GAF ! This is my first post. Got my Gold 6s+ Friday, and I love it. I'm usually an Android guy, but after getting my MacBook Pro I felt it was time to get an iPhone. And being an Android guy I knew to go for the 6s+ since I'm used to big phones. I was surprised that the phone isn't even all that big as people talk it up to be. It's perfect. The regular 6s must be tiny ! I'm sending my Apple leather cases back to Apple and getting my money back as I didn't really like them, and I am a #teamnaked 95% percent of the time. But I do have the Rearth Rignke (I believe that's how you spell it) on the way from Amazon tomorrow. It's a clear case that actually looks decent for only 10 dollars and reviewers on YouTube were saying it is one of the best cases. It's actually the best selling case on Amazon.

yeah there are quite a few standard cases on amazon for around 10-15 dollars that work great. Used one on my 5 and 6 with no problems.

BTW, I'm on T-Mobile prepaid (that awesome $30 plan is perfect for me), and even the prepaid plan has Wi-Fi calling support.

I want to, since I think AT&T supports it now, but I hear it screws with the way calls get forwarded to my MacBook and iPad (which is a feature I have enabled and want to keep working). As in, when wifi calling is enabled, it turns off device forwarding

Mortemis

Banned
I love the silicone cases. I had one on my regular 6 as well before this one. It's quite grippy and stops the phone from being slippery. It feels high quality and rigid as opposed to some flimsy third party silicone cases. No issues at all with lint and gathering dust for me. It's the perfect case to me.

That sounds great. Think I'm gonna return my leather case for a silicone one, thanks!

I want to, since I think AT&T supports it now, but I hear it screws with the way calls get forwarded to my MacBook and iPad (which is a feature I have enabled and want to keep working). As in, when wifi calling is enabled, it turns off device forwarding

Not sure about AT&T (I have T-Mobile) but with iOS 9 not only can you make calls on your Mac with wifi calling on, you don't even have to be on the same wifi network. I've been making calls on my Mac with wifi calls on this whole weekend. Just go to phone settings and turn on wifi calling for other devices.

Lima

This blue hue is killing me. Problem is I've seen this on every 6S so far so I doubt getting a replacement would help.

Not sure about AT&T (I have T-Mobile) but with iOS 9 not only can you make calls on your Mac with wifi calling on, you don't even have to be on the same wifi network. I've been making calls on my Mac with wifi calls on this whole weekend. Just go to phone settings and turn on wifi calling for other devices.

Ha, I went to go turn it on to test it out, it says "Do you want to enable Wifi calling with AT&T?" I say yes, then a big screen opens up that says "Sorry, feature is not available yet"

Also according to Apple Support Wifi calling on other devices only works on T-Mobile, so it's a nonstarter for me anyway.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Aurizen

Ha, I went to go turn it on to test it out, it says "Do you want to enable Wifi calling with AT&T?" I say yes, then a big screen opens up that says "Sorry, feature is not available yet"

Also according to Apple Support Wifi calling on other devices only works on T-Mobile, so it's a nonstarter for me anyway.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

If you turn on wifi calling on how does that work? can you still use mobile data?

If you turn on wifi calling on how does that work? can you still use mobile data?

Basically it just tells your carrier to route all your calls through wifi instead of their towers, hence why it needs carrier support. Great for people with wifi but shit cell signal

Gaaraz

So the 6 and 6 Plus cases work just fine with the 6S and 6S Plus? That's good to know :)

Also, can anyone please confirm whether Verizon and T-Mobile phones are actually unlocked and would work in the UK? Thank you

Newline

My one gripe so far, theres no quick menu toggle for the power saving mode. It's a bit weird having to go all the way into normal settings to turn it on and off. It's a minor gripe and it's more to do with iOS9 than anything, but coming from Android that seems like an obvious option.

Ninja Dom

My one gripe so far, theres no quick menu toggle for the power saving mode. It's a bit weird having to go all the way into normal settings to turn it on and off. It's a minor gripe and it's more to do with iOS9 than anything, but coming from Android that seems like an obvious option.

I'm guessing that it's a function that Apple want people to use out of necessity so they've put it in a place that needs deliberate steps to find and turn on.

If there was a quick toggle then there would be people unknowingly having the feature toggled on and having lower performance in other areas on their iPhone's.

I used to work in phone retail and people would have all sorts of functions turned on without realising which then affected their performance and then made them come into store.

Just my guess.

Daffy Duck

On my iCloud it still says I am signed into my 5S, but I wiped it yesterday (clicking delete everything) and didn't sign back in with my iCould details ( I did click the app store app to see if I was signed in there and I wasn't and skipped that step of the set up process, I wont still be signed in will I?

Garou

On my iCloud it still says I am signed into my 5S, but I wiped it yesterday (clicking delete everything) and didn't sign back in with my iCould details ( I did click the app store app to see if I was signed in there and I wasn't and skipped that step of the set up process, I wont still be signed in will I?

You should have signed out of iCloud before wiping. Just delete it from iCloud.com and you should be good.

Daffy Duck

You should have signed out of iCloud before wiping. Just delete it from iCloud.com and you should be good.

Just checked with the shop I sold it too and they showed me the phone and I wasn't signed into iCloud on it, it's still showing on iCloud though that I am signed in and running iOS8, OS X Yesimie or watchOS on these devices so not sure what's going on with it.

Well I've changed my password anyway.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Absolutely loving my 6S. It definitely seems like the most refined iPhone up to this point.

Low Power mode is a godsend. I use it while I'm at work and it makes it so that battery drain during low usage is very minimal. That's while I have music being played while the screen is off through my Wireless Beats and checking email/messages at various intervals.

Hey Siri actually works and works REALLY well.

2GB of Ram is amazing. That + Purify makes Safari a dream. Its speed and performance finally matches its smoothness.

Force Touching for peek and pop in Safari and Messages has been invaluable, and I can't imagine going back to a non 3D Touch Display. Evernote just updated their app to support Quick Actions, and I have Shazam now specifically because they support quick actions. Can't wait for more apps to support it (Gmail, Google Maps? Google plz).

Ninja Dom

Absolutely loving my 6S. It definitely seems like the most refined iPhone up to this point.

Low Power mode is a godsend. I use it while I'm at work and it makes it so that battery drain during low usage is very minimal. That's while I have music being played while the screen is off through my Wireless Beats and checking email/messages at various intervals.

Hey Siri actually works and works REALLY well.

2GB of Ram is amazing. That + Purify makes Safari a dream. Its speed and performance finally matches its smoothness.

Force Touching for peek and pop in Safari and Messages has been invaluable, and I can't imagine going back to a non 3D Touch Display. Evernote just updated their app to support Quick Actions, and I have Shazam now specifically because they support quick actions. Can't wait for more apps to support it (Gmail, Google Maps? Google plz).

So while you're at work you stick the iPhone in Low Power Mode because...you're working and won't use the iPhone much?

Anybody know if Low Power Mode affects the  Watch when paired in any way? I work in a train station and reception there can be bad. I never thought to turn on Low Power Mode while at work.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So while you're at work you stick the iPhone in Low Power Mode because...you're working and won't use the iPhone much?
Yup. I can put my phone down at 85% and it'll stay at 85% by the time I pick it back up, instead of it trickle draining down to 80% or something. Why lose that % when I'm not using the phone or really checking it anyway? Cumulatively, throughout the day, that makes for a big difference.

I also flip it on if I'm going to be driving and it also helps to charge it faster through USB.

I forgot to put on my watch this morning. Otherwise I would let you know, lol.

Edit: Now usually this is irrelevant because I have a charging dock at my desk, so I can just charge it when I please. But if I'm in a meeting or something and enabling Do Not Disturb anyway, it's definitely good.

It actually would make sense to just enable Low Power Mode whenever one puts on DND. Wish Apple could automatically make this happen. Actually, I wonder if I can use that WorkFlow app to enable/change settings. I haven't looked into it yet.

Here's my 6s Plus's battery life, this is the second full charge since I got it last Friday. Safari and Photos were my most used apps along with Home Screen & Lockscreen. I mean, I'm using the phone a lot more than normally because I'm checking out the new features. There were a lot of apps with background activity, like Tweetbot, Amazon (?), and Photos.

Every single feature is turned on as far as I'm aware and haven't disabled anything that I think could prolong my battery life.

Top Bottom