• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

giga

77664.png

77658.png

🔥

Ninja Dom

Yup. I can put my phone down at 85% and it'll stay at 85% by the time I pick it back up, instead of it trickle draining down to 80% or something. Why lose that % when I'm not using the phone or really checking it anyway? Cumulatively, throughout the day, that makes for a big difference.

I also flip it on if I'm going to be driving and it also helps to charge it faster through USB.

I forgot to put on my watch this morning. Otherwise I would let you know, lol.

Edit: Now usually this is irrelevant because I have a charging dock at my desk, so I can just charge it when I please. But if I'm in a meeting or something and enabling Do Not Disturb anyway, it's definitely good.

It actually would make sense to just enable Low Power Mode whenever one puts on DND. Wish Apple could automatically make this happen. Actually, I wonder if I can use that WorkFlow app to enable/change settings. I haven't looked into it yet.

Yes, good thinking.

What reminds you have to take the iPhone out of Low Power Mode?

Fletcher

Question for the People that did the jump on demand. Do I just need to bring the phone in too be them or do they need all the cables, too? Kinda want to keep the charger from my 6.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yes, good thinking.

That's a good question. Usually, it's just that I notice the Battery meter is yellow. But there's nothing immediate about performance (that could change if I notice it interacting with the Watch differently) that reminds me about it. Maybe it's a good thing that Low Power Mode doesn't affect my usage too much when I pick my phone up for serious usage?

I do wish there was a quicker way to turn it off. As a matter of fact, that's one thing I hope Apple includes is integrating more of 3D Touch throughout the actual UI. Force Touching the battery meter to induce/disable Low Power Mode, or force touching the quick toggles to go directly to their settings menu...maybe in iOS 9.1 lol.

Doffen

Probably already posted, but it looks like iPhone 6s and 6s Plus will be released in additional 40 countries October 9.

ZeroX03

Banned

say it’s mostly a reflection of Apple’s ability to supply phones, rather than a reflection of consumer demand.

Figured as much. They just could not produce enough iPhone 6 for that launch. I got screwed in both this launch and the last one unfortunately, but I've seen a lot less people going without phones this time around.

Yes, good thinking.

Another option would be to set a location based reminder with Siri. Have it set something like "Hey Siri, remind me to turn off low power mode when I get home." In theory when you walk into you place you should have a reminder pop up.

Chucker

Okay several stores near me have it but they are all showing 39.99. Maybe the clearance price doesn't show online? Well, I'll still look into it.

It shows up online, closest store to me says OOS, but $5.98

I would have bought one for every day of the week at that price.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Another option would be to set a location based reminder with Siri. Have it set something like "Hey Siri, remind me to turn off low power mode when I get home." In theory when you walk into you place you should have a reminder pop up.
I like this. I really wish that you could tell Siri to "Turn off Low Power Mode when I get home" and eliminate the need for a reminder. That's when Siri will have reached final form.

I like this. I really wish that you could tell Siri to "Turn off Low Power Mode when I get home" and eliminate the need for a reminder. That's when Siri will have reached final form.

Yeah that obviously would be much more convenient. Unfortunately this is the best we have right now.

Ninja Dom

Second night without an auto backup. Odd

I've posted this a couple of times both here and in the iOS 9 thread but no one pays attention because the thread moves fast.

iCloud backups do NOT work for a lot of people on iOS 9.

I thought that I was having auto backup issues but last night my 6S auto-backed up at 5am. That's the first auto backup it has done since getting the iPhone on Friday launch day. But at least it did it.

Tips: Make sure you have enough iCloud space (if necessary delete the old backup of your last iPhone) My 6S backup is 8GB. Plus I'm sure you know the usuals (wifi on, locked & plugged in).

Does a manual iCloud backup succeed?

BUT my iPad 4th Generation would never auto-backup ever since I put iOS 8 on it a year ago. All conditions being met. It would also only manually iCloud backup if I set the screen-timeout to 'Never', or else the backup would fail when the iPad locked itself. It never fixed itself after putting iOS 9 on it. I've since turned off iCloud backup on the iPad and just do cable backups to my comp.

It could have been caching and indexing all your apps and information for spotlight search. Might come good after a little while

my perf completely shit the bed when I updated. I'm going to do a factory reset and see if the perf changes. I don't mind the data loss, just intrigued.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've posted this a couple of times both here and in the iOS 9 thread but no one pays attention because the thread moves fast.

I had a momentary issue of this on iOS 9, turns out for me it was a combination of having been on the public beta track and the beta profile sending incorrect device info to the server (deleting the profile + my existing back up solved this part) and secondly, I needed to accept the new iCloud Terms of Use which looks to have been pushed out in the last few days. It only popped up an Accept/Disagree dialogue once I went into manage storage.

is there a fast way to get to low power mode

instead of settings, battery, low power. I was hoping it would be in the control center next to airplane, blutooth and wifi

mf.luder

I played around with the 6S Plus on Friday at the Apple Store and was very impressed with 3D Touch. Wish Canada had that upgrade program and I'd be in.

DMczaf

Figured as much. They just could not produce enough iPhone 6 for that launch. I got screwed in both this launch and the last one unfortunately, but I've seen a lot less people going without phones this time around.

Yup.

I ordered my Space Gray iPhone 6S Plus 128GB like 4-5 days after preorders started and still got mine on launch day.

My mom ordered her Rose Gold 6S Plus 128GB probably 3-4 days before RELEASE day and her's arrives tomorrow.

TxdoHawk

I am weirdly enjoying the Live Photos. Putting one as your lockscreen seemed dumb at first but it is the perfect thing to show off to people (I've got my GF's hamster, Bitey, on mine.) Just wish they were easier to share.

Got my 6s+ on Saturday replacing my 6+. This is the first time I didn't wait two years to upgrade and I couldn't be happier. The performance difference is immediately noticeable, and I'm using 3D Touch enough that it's going to be weird using my iPad Air 2 without it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Interesting it can sustain a higher clock speed in the same chassi. Will it be on a smaller process than the iPhone 6?

Does low power mode still allow push mail, even though it is disabling fetch? Shame you can't set it up to turn on at your preferred battery percentage

giga

Interesting it can sustain a higher clock speed in the same chassi. Will it be on a smaller process than the iPhone 6?

Does low power mode still allow push mail, even though it is disabling fetch? Shame you can't set it up to turn on at your preferred battery percentage
That was confirmed.

SUPARSTARX

Is anybody else a Swype user from Android? I can't stand the regular keyboard because I like typing with one hand on Swype/Swiftkey but they are gimpy and a little buggy on here. Sometimes the predicted words panel doesn't pop up.

magpul. one of the highest rated by ilounge

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting the bump case. It has a must more prounounced lip than the the previous cases that almost feel flush. I have a tempered glass protector on it so it makes the screen a bit taller but this still provides a bit of a lip. Feels sturdy and doesn't seem like it will slip out of my hands. Thank you!

Yup.

I ordered my Space Gray iPhone 6S Plus 128GB like 4-5 days after preorders started and still got mine on launch day.

My mom ordered her Rose Gold 6S Plus 128GB probably 3-4 days before RELEASE day and her's arrives tomorrow.

It's because it's the 128 mainly. When I talked to some friends at the att location I used to work at they're saying the 128s are easiest to come by because they're more expensive. It was the same when I used to sell these, the high memory model was always easier to get than the lowest.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

make sure all previous backups are deleted from your account. It's not iOS 9 per se.. I've had this in previous iOS versions also. Check to see if it's a space issue.. if it's not a space issue, the other thing I'ev come across is a failed backup stored in icloud preventing further backups, and one time I swear I had a previous iOS version backup (from an upgrade) preventing my current backup from working.

Now that iphones are officially more powerful than a 360, can we please get the desktop version of Civ 5? Should be doable on low settings with a few optimizations, no?

RaidenZR

Sometimes I feel like the constant micromanaging of a lot of these system settings does more harm than good.

I see folks talking about regulating Bluetooth and cell data and wifi and so on and so on and they don't often seem to have positive outcomes. I honestly feel like the phone is designed to keep all that pretty well maintained and barring special circumstances a user is better served just using their phone without the babysitting. (Not picking on you Raiden it's fairly common discussion every time a phone is released)

It's okay. I tend to want to trust the general design of these things. I usually try that first for a while, and use it as intennded. However, the battery was slipping by at a speed on par with my 2-year old 5S. I feel like that shouldn't be the case and I have no idea why. And when I say I govern my functions thoroughly, I just mean that I turn shit off when I'm not using it for a long stretch. For example, I only use bluetooth in my car on my commute to work and home. I don't need bluetooth on all day when sitting at my desk. When I'm sitting there for 9+ hours, I turn it off.

Location Services is a battery vampire for me, but it's also buried too far in menus to be worthwhile to disable when I really want to. It seems silly it's shrouded so far down in the system when it's one of the biggest drains in the phone's daily longevity.

Top Bottom