• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Red

Location Services is a battery vampire for me, but it's also buried too far in menus to be worthwhile to disable when I really want to. It seems silly it's shrouded so far down in the system when it's one of the biggest drains in the phone's daily longevity.
You can search for it in settings without navigating menus.
How is the side facing speaker of the iPhone for media consumption, especially in comparison with dual front facing speaker phones?
Can't compare to stereo, unfortunately. "Better speakers" are the last thing on my iPhone wish list.

The mono speaker sounds fine but is easy to cover up, and you get no sense of separation like you would with something like the Moto X.

JaseMath

Is there any way to disable the Touch ID when swiping to see lock screen notifications? My options to disable are greyed out.

Rootbeer

Banned
its not an issue as the performance is tested as equivalent

I hope you are right! But I think we need more data to be certain, don't we?

And besides what do you mean by 'performance' what if they get identical speed but one causes more heat or uses more battery, etc.?

The comparisons are going to be unavoidable now on the various blogs and fan sites. Thus the '-gate'

I wasn't so much 'waiting' for it as knowing it was coming since it seems to be the trend... so yeah.

Servbot24

Banned
I was happy with my phone 5 minutes ago but now I will return it, I'm worried that someone else might have a phone that runs 1% cooler than mine. Can't have that.

Matticers

So I guess anyone who wants to buy one now is probably waiting until the end of October to get one? I want to get one but wanted to wait for impressions first since I'm switching from android. Guess I should have known that would've happened.

I guess the AT&T $300 trade in deal is probably better than just buying the phone outright and selling it later. Guess I'll see when my local AT&T stores can get one in stock. I'll be switching to them from Verizon.

I hope you are right! But I think we need more data to be certain, don't we?

And besides what do you mean by 'performance' what if they get identical speed but one causes more heat or uses more battery, etc.?

The comparisons are going to be unavoidable now on the various blogs and fan sites. Thus the '-gate'

I wasn't so much 'waiting' for it as knowing it was coming since it seems to be the trend... so yeah.

the chip performance has to be the same before they build the phone.

snacknuts

we all knew her
After a buddy of mine who long-bashed Apple and iOS spent all weekend telling me how nice his 6S is, I picked one up at my local Apple Store today to take it for a spin. I'm already making plans to return it. The screen is not very nice, and using the device immediately calls to mind everything I hated about iOS the last time I had an iPhone (which was a 4S that I got at launch and kept for eight months). It's a nice enough device, I'm sure, but not $300 nicer than the Moto X Pure I got a couple weeks ago. TouchID is legit, though. Amazing how fast it is.

I just got off the phone with their support people and am dismayed to learn that I can't arrange an online return for an item purchased at a retail store. So it looks like I'll be going back sometime in the next few days.

subrock

Just got my silicone case and have a few bits of feedback:

- Color is definitely not what I expected. Way more grey than black. Was definitely expecting a true black.

- Button feel is super nice

- Way slipperier than the leather case. I actually prefer the feel of the leather case. Fit is nicer on the 6s+ than putting the leather one from my 6+ on. Maybe this is just a difference between types though (not sure if the dimensions are actually different)

- seems like dust and dirt and table and pocket shit will be way more noticeable.

- Already looks more durable than the leather one.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I will fully admit that, you know what, a bigger screen may have been just what the iPhone needed. I'm only on the 6S, but texting and email and generally any kind of text input is a lot easier than on my 5S.

3D touch having deep app integration is The Next Big Thing, though. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This year's Silicone case definitely feels better than what they had on offer last year. I think they smoothed it out enough so that it slides in and out of your pocket much better and doesn't pick up nearly as much lint, which was a huge problem last year that caused me to get the leather case instead.

riotous

Banned
This year's Silicone case definitely feels better than what they had on offer last year. I think they smoothed it out enough so that it slides in and out of your pocket much better and doesn't pick up nearly as much lint, which was a huge problem last year that caused me to get the leather case instead.

I think they hit a nice sweet spot with grip vs. cling, but I didn't mind last years model. It's definitely stickier but I had no problem pulling it out of my pockets and no problem with it picking up debris (I have a white one, so most debris would be very noticeable.)

After a buddy of mine who long-bashed Apple and iOS spent all weekend telling me how nice his 6S is, I picked one up at my local Apple Store today to take it for a spin. I'm already making plans to return it. The screen is not very nice, and using the device immediately calls to mind everything I hated about iOS the last time I had an iPhone (which was a 4S that I got at launch and kept for eight months). It's a nice enough device, I'm sure, but not $300 nicer than the Moto X Pure I got a couple weeks ago. TouchID is legit, though. Amazing how fast it is.

I just got off the phone with their support people and am dismayed to learn that I can't arrange an online return for an item purchased at a retail store. So it looks like I'll be going back sometime in the next few days.

Interesting. Of all the things iPhones usually get right, it's the screen.

SuperPac

Is there any way to disable the Touch ID when swiping to see lock screen notifications? My options to disable are greyed out.

Are you swiping over the home button? You only need to rest your finger on it - not swipe. But, pretty much the recourse is to hit sleep-wake instead or hit the home button with a different non-IDed finger to see the lock screen notifications.

VoxPop

Thats pretty funny considering the Moto X Pure screen is mediocre

196782d1442267954t-my-moto-x-pure-edition-screen-has-yellow-tint-img_0362.jpg

Reckoner

Of the all things that could have bothered you, you complain about the screen which is one of the best displays of any phone.

Okay.

Aurizen

anyone knows how to deal with the "Cannot get mail" error in the default mail app? I usually have to refresh for it to work but I'm annoyed by it because it doesn't push them when I get the email on time.

Does anyone know how to download 100+MB Apps through LTE? I have an unlimited plan, but I heard there's a limit on downloading apps based on its size.

Maximus.

How is the side facing speaker of the iPhone for media consumption, especially in comparison with dual front facing speaker phones?

The speaker on the iPhone's is great. The only time it is weird is if you are gaming and it requires you to hold the phone sideways with two hands and you happen to block the speaker. I have always been amazed at the sound quality, since it is coming out of one spot.

Servbot24

Banned
There are many legitimate complaints about the iPhone 6S depending on your preferences and opinion. "The screen is not very nice" is objectively wrong.

The regular size 6s isn't that high res. But yeah I still think it looks good as long as you don't go pixel hunting.

snacknuts

we all knew her
There are many legitimate complaints about the iPhone 6S depending on your preferences and opinion. "The screen is not very nice" is objectively wrong.

Maybe I got a bad one, I don't know. Color reproduction seems fine, but I feel like there's a low refresh rate or something. It's very blurry and ghost-y when scrolling. Image quality is unimpressive. *shrug*

sdornan

Maybe I got a bad one, I don't know. Color reproduction seems fine, but I feel like there's a low refresh rate or something. It's very blurry and ghost-y when scrolling. Image quality is unimpressive. *shrug*

I kind of agree. Mine came with a shadowing/un-uniform backlighting defect, so I'm trading it out. Besides that though, I feel like the screen has changed all that much for a few generations.

With my first iphone, the 6s, I really notice the color accuracy on my screen.
What peeves me about LED screens I've had (actually nvm G3 was IPS) is that they were oversaturated and or too "cold". I much prefer this warmer interpretation. Easier on the eyes too.

Shun

Verizon is a piece of shit customer service.

Tell me they guarantee on release date after their first fuck up and calling an executive, then they told me I should get it no later then Wednesday, then I got a call today telling me that what I was told was wrong and that I have to wait longer for my 128GB Rose Gold 6S+ and that it won't be here this week and I wasn't expedited.

Getting a call back to get a full story from an exec tomorrow and an exact estimate. They better be crediting and accommodating me for their lack of service and accurate information and wasting my time the past couple weeks.

Called at least a dozen times confirming with 4-5 different employees that I would get it before October. Now I'm told I'm not. Waste my time, set me back on work since I don't have my phone. They better accommodate me $$$ for basically lying to me and setting me back on weeks of work cause I'm not happy at all.

My girlfriend has the other 64GB Rose Gold and I can't have her wait since her phone is even more busted than mine.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is that a 6s on the right? Looks blue.

Maybe the colors don't properly translate in a photo? My 5s is much warmer than that:

What screen are you looking at that photo on? If I look at it on a TN panel it looks blue, but on a properly color corrected screen or iPhone it's very white.

Shun

Is every American phone service scum?

I don't think I've been this pissed off at any of the carriers I've used before.

Top Bottom