• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Nephtis

Arrggghhh so the only carrier that has the iphone I want is T-Mo, which sucks balls in Tucson. Why can't Verizon get a hold of one D:

I am tempted to reserve the tmo phone, get there and be all "oh, sorry I meant to do it for Verizon" and see if I can activate it with them...

reKon

Banned
I like how the Verge rushed out with their shit review just to be first.

Waiting on the sites that actually matter still. Anandtech testing results is what I expected.

Red

I like how the Verge rushed out with their shit review just to be first.

Waiting on the sites that actually matter still. Anandtech testing results is what I expected.
The Verge is one of the worst resources for impressions and reviews. Anandtech is really the only one that matters.

Arrggghhh so the only carrier that has the iphone I want is T-Mo, which sucks balls in Tucson. Why can't Verizon get a hold of one D:

I am tempted to reserve the tmo phone, get there and be all "oh, sorry I meant to do it for Verizon" and see if I can activate it with them...

The phones come with the carrier SIM built in. They're going to see if the model you want with the carrier you want is in stock but if not (which is highly likely) they will turn you away.

Stores restock online every day at 9am local time. Just jump on as close to 9am to see if you can nab stock.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Complained about this before in the thread but Verizon trolled me by delivering only my 64GB Rose Gold 6S+ and telling me that my 128GB is delayed for 3-4 weeks. I'm trying to contact them and keep complaining with uncle help so I can get it earlier.

The 64GB is for my girlfriend and her phone is more busted up than mine. They basically guaranteed me multiple times that both my phones would come in the 25th. Then they told me the 128 would be here by the 30th.

Now they told me that the past times were mistakes and that I'm waiting till I can get a definitive answer, likely the 12-21st.

I'm not gonna deal with this bullshit without complaining so I'm gonna make sure they prioritise my order or give me some sort of credit or benefit for lying to me and forcing me to continually call customer service, only to be led around in circles.

Your plan to harass customer service to get priority or restitution sounds like an awful one.

Nephtis

The phones come with the carrier SIM built in. They're going to see if the model you want with the carrier you want is in stock but if not (which is highly likely) they will turn you away.

Stores restock online every day at 9am local time. Just jump on as close to 9am to see if you can nab stock.

Wait, really? I thought that they would only have the stock available at 8am when they open. This gives me renewed hope.

Wait, really? I thought that they would only have the stock available at 8am when they open. This gives me renewed hope.

They restock for reservations at 8 AM local time, not 9. You do it online, and yes, the one you want will probably get claimed very quickly

For example, my local store is all out of Plus models this morning. Every single carrier/color/size

ZeroX03

Banned
Your plan to harass customer service to get priority or restitution sounds like an awful one.

Yeah, at this point they can only ship the stock that Apple gives them and it appears there's still supply constraints with the Plus models. Good communication is about the best you can push for.

At least they've got a back order in. My carrier decided this year that there would be no backordering and it would be a free for all. You've got to guess when they get stock in because they won't tell you or let you reserve any. I still have no idea when I'm getting my phone, I just kind of assume it'll be in a month's time.

Nephtis

They restock for reservations at 8 AM local time, not 9. You do it online, and yes, the one you want will probably get claimed very quickly

For example, my local store is all out of Plus models this morning. Every single carrier/color/size

I went in at 8 and they didn't stock any for Verizon, and Tmo only had 1 model available. Seems it was just 1 phone, too.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this dual sourced chip scenario.

You already saw it. First weekend iPhones sales have long been production limited not demand limited. There was no way Apple were getting 13 million phones out on the first weekend without a second source of CPUs.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I have a digital photo library dating back to 2000, and I am basically the photo keeper for my whole immediate family. I don't use iPhoto, and I maintain my folder structure by year for every photo taken the last 15 years because not my whole family uses mac. I prefer the standard folder structure over being forced to keep an iPhoto library I can't control easily on a Windows PC. Being able to upload my phone pictures to the cloud and then delete all of the pictures off of my phone makes it easier for me to personally track my pictures. I download the latest phone backup off the cloud and store it on my computer in a folder. Not being able to clear my phone storage makes the process confusing for me, and it scares me that I would make a mistake. I do not consider the cloud a 'device' so if I delete something from a device I don't expect it to disappear from my backup service. This is literally how every backup service has worked, but Apple changed it up and it's nice for people who like it that way, but I wish there was an option to do it the normal and old way like every other cloud/backup service. It's a common criticism for people who don't want to be locked into Apple's folder structuring because I'm not sure I'll be using macs for the rest of my life even if I have been the last 10 years.

Hopefully that makes sense.
ahhhhhhh.. ok, this makes sense.

I do the same thing (back to ~2004) BUT use Photos on Mac, and iCloud Photo Library as the main gatekeeper (which thankfully also supports RAW). But yeah, I have no idea how Windows would integrate into that. I know iPL DOES have a web interface now... but I'd have to look into that further (though my wife and daughter both have Macs)

After years of being Android only, I decided to make the jump to the 6s this year...and holy shit I love this thing. I've owned and iPad and iPod touch so I am familiar with the OS, but between the snappiness, the camera and 3d touch, I am in heaven.

riotous

Banned
People contacting executives because a phone ran out of stock; good grief. You realize that if they give you priority all you are doing is screwing over someone who didn't call to complain, who might have ordered their's before you?

These threads amaze me; if you are heated/angry fuming/pissed (a few of the words people used here) over a phone preorder... Check your perspective.

I understand being disappointed but try to have some patience with companies literally handling millions of orders placed the same day.

After years of being Android only, I decided to make the jump to the 6s this year...and holy shit I love this thing. I've owned and iPad and iPod touch so I am familiar with the OS, but between the snappiness, the camera and 3d touch, I am in heaven.

Yeah, right with you on the android to 6s. I'm using the stupid fast touch ID for everything :). There are more things I appreciate on the iOSthan things I miss on android so far.

Yeah, right with you on the android to 6s. I'm using the stupid fast touch ID for everything :). There are more things I appreciate on the iOSthan things I miss on android so far.

Touch ID and 3d Touch have changed my life. If anything I just miss customization and my app drawer (I hate icons and I hate folders, hahah) but overall I don't think I can go back now.

Touch ID and 3d Touch have changed my life. If anything I just miss customization and my app drawer (I hate icons and I hate folders, hahah) but overall I don't think I can go back now.

I agree. Haven't found too many uses of 3D touch but my favorites are keyboard press for cursor movement and app switch slide out on the left (although it can be faster or easier to execute). Cannot do without. Yeah for me, it might be nice to have some sort of archive to store away some apps, as opposed to throwing them in folders.

borghe

I agree. Haven't found too many uses of 3D touch but my favorites are keyboard press for cursor movement and app switch slide out on the left (although it can be faster or easier to execute). Cannot do without. Yeah for me, it might be nice to have some sort of archive to store away some apps, as opposed to throwing them in folders.

I peek and pop everything. In just a few days it's become the default standard on how I click most links. To the point that I do it on my ipad also.......... damn it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
After using the new 6s Plus the last few days, I have to say, I really didn't think it would be as big an upgrade as it is. The extra horsepower/RAM makes it feel like a completely new beast.

I peek and pop everything. In just a few days it's become the default standard on how I click most links. To the point that I do it on my ipad also.......... damn it.

I need to get in the habit of doing so. Apple should implement a tutorial mode that gives a faint highlight to things you can force touch.

OK dumb question, my buddy has great credit, but wants to use a card with like maybe $300 balance left on it for whatever bizarre reason. When they run the card to they try and put a full price hold on it temporarily, or do they just run the first payment?

Apple Store is too busy right now to ask them, and I figure we have some Apple employees here.

OK dumb question, my buddy has great credit, but wants to use a card with like maybe $300 balance left on it for whatever bizarre reason. When they run the card to they try and put a full price hold on it temporarily, or do they just run the first payment?

Apple Store is too busy right now to ask them, and I figure we have some Apple employees here.

From what I understand, when getting approved for the IUP they check to make sure you have three months worth of payment of credit on the card. However, you should only be charged for the tax on the full price and the first month's payment that day. If it does put a hold on anything more, it would be 3 months payments, not the full amount

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
After the crap Samsung pulled with their new phones, I think I'm gonna hop on the iPhone wagon. The 6s has a nice sized screen.
Coming from a S5, my 6S+ can't come fast enough. Tomorrow if everything goes right.

I tried Android for a year, and I'm done. I just love iOS smoothness. Only thing I'll miss is the back button.

borghe

From what I understand, when getting approved for the IUP they check to make sure you have three months worth of payment of credit on the card. However, you should only be charged for the tax on the full price and the first month's payment that day. If it does put a hold on anything more, it would be 3 months payments, not the full amount

ahhh.. this makes sense. yes I believe this is what they do exactly. I saw some weird number approved on my card from an alert on my phone.. but it sounds like it was about 3 month ($121.xx?)

so yeah, this here sounds right. you can't use a card with only your first payment available on it, but you don't need the full price of the phone available either. it DOES need to be a credit card though. Not a gift card, prepaid, or debit card.

Shun

Yeah, at this point they can only ship the stock that Apple gives them and it appears there's still supply constraints with the Plus models. Good communication is about the best you can push for.

At least they've got a back order in. My carrier decided this year that there would be no backordering and it would be a free for all. You've got to guess when they get stock in because they won't tell you or let you reserve any. I still have no idea when I'm getting my phone, I just kind of assume it'll be in a month's time.

No I'm just pissed off that I was lied to multiple times after multiple accounts of people telling me I was guaranteed release date. They even checked our phone calls to the service and acknowledged that it was exactly what these representatives told us.

It wouldn't be an issue if we weren't told that we would be guaranteed multiple times and reassured multiple times only to be thoroughly disappointed each and every time.

In or not, they provided shit service and they should accommodate us for basically lying to us as customers under contract.

Today they credited me for having to deal with this back and forth and they apparently "reassures" that I will get it the upcoming shipment October 12th.

I was under the 9/25 shipment, they screwed up and delayed my order. I tried getting prioritization and they've said multiple times they would guarantee me by the 25th. They didn't and basically lied to me and are telling me that it is in the 10/12 shipment now and that they are sorry.

bionic77

S+. Retired my iPad yesterday, plan to retire my iPhone 5S today as well. Then my one-device experience will finally begin. :D
S wins for portability. The plus is not portable and is big and heavy as fuck. Also not super comfortable to talk on.

But the plus wins in every other way.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

If that card is indicative of his overall credit utilization rate, he won't have great credit for long. Optimal utilization is somewhere in the realm of 10%-35%.

Probably not a good idea to run within $300 of the credit limit on any card. Just use another credit card or increase the limit on the original.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The app drawer really isn't any different to a folder, though?

The biggest draw to an app drawer is being able to have apps on you phone that don't take up any homescreen space. Just makes things a bit neater, but folders almost do the same thing, especially if you keep the 1st 2 home screens of apps you use on a daily basis and have the 3rd page just folders with apps that don't get much use.

xsarien

daedsiluap
People still transfer photos to their computer using a cable?
Oh my!

(I've been using iCloud Photo Library for the last few months and it's amazing, can't ever go back to non-cloud syncing now.)

There's a valid use case for it. As much as I rely on iPL to manage the photos I take on my phone, I do periodically back it all up manually via the Image Capture app and toss it on my Drobo. The cloud is great...until you realize you don't have any kind of real, workable internet connection. Or you accidentally delete something you want back later on.

My current setup is:
iPhone: Download optimized for device
iPad: Download original
Laptop: Download original

S¡mon

Banned
Live photos is so janky. Gah the FPS is so low. Like watching a BAD gif. I have my daughter blowing me a kiss on my lock screen as my Live Photo, and if it was as smooth as the stock live photos, it'd be great.
I like it that it is so slow and I hope they've done that on purpose. It's like you're looking back at a memory instead of a video.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest draw to an app drawer is being able to have apps on you phone that don't take up any homescreen space. Just makes things a bit neater, but folders almost do the same thing, especially if you keep the 1st 2 home screens of apps you use on a daily basis and have the 3rd page just folders with apps that don't get much use.

I mean, you could replicate the app drawer by putting all of your apps in a single folder and adding it to the dock area at the bottom of the screen. Of course, you still have the limitation of just 9 apps visible per page and you'd have to organize it manually.

I guess that's one big difference between the two systems. iOS really doesn't have a "desktop" analogue like Android does.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Nope. In android the icon on the screen is just a shortcut.
In iOS the icon on the screen is the app.

The major difference is on android you can have 0 icons on the home screen. You can also have an icon on both the home screen and the app drawer. The app drawer serves as an "all apps" list.

In iOS you have one icon for one app and you are forced to choose where to place it.

I definitely prefer androids approach in this regard.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. In android the icon on the screen is just a shortcut.
In iOS the icon on the screen is the app.

The major difference is on android you can have 0 icons on the home screen. You can also have an icon on both the home screen and the app drawer. The app drawer serves as an "all apps" list.

In iOS you have one icon for one app and you are forced to choose where to place it.

I definitely prefer androids approach in this regard.

Oh, I know all of this. I've used Android on and off as recently as last September.

I'm just saying that, if your sole goal is to have an empty home screen (a desire I'll never understand), you can accomplish the same thing on iOS, albeit in a very compromised fashion that requires some manual work.

I prefer the iOS approach personally. Needing to go into the app drawer in order to truly delete something is a small annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Oh, I know all of this. I've used Android on and off as recently as last September.

I'm just saying that, if your sole goal is to have an empty home screen (a desire I'll never understand), you can accomplish the same thing on iOS, albeit in a very compromised fashion that requires some manual work.

I prefer the iOS approach personally. Needing to go into the app drawer in order to truly delete something is a small annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

I like having my homescreen be a clock and my background (currently set as my new daughter).
This is what I want to see when I unlock my phone.

With iOS I have had to make a compromise and have my main screen be a calendar icon on top of my daughter's photo with all my apps on the following screens.

I'm really loving the phone.

The only thing I'm having trouble doing consistently is bringing up the app switcher using 3D Touch. I just have to get used to the amount of force I apply

I'm really loving the phone.

The only thing I'm having trouble doing consistently is bringing up the app switcher using 3D Touch. I just have to get used to the amount of force I apply

It's tough with the leather case I have on. Basically the force only has to be the first stage (the "peek") but your finger has to roll in from off the edge of the screen, it can't start there

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like having my homescreen be a clock and my background (currently set as my new daughter).
This is what I want to see when I unlock my phone.

With iOS I have had to make a compromise and have my main screen be a calendar icon on top of my daughter's photo with all my apps on the following screens.

I mean, that's fine and all, but I don't get it.

If you just want to see a photo of your daughter, why not make that your lock screen wallpaper? You can also get the time and date there. I'll never understand clock/weather widgets.

Personally, I'd rather just unlock the device and jump into my photos app where I have an iCloud album dedicated to great photos of my son that I share with my wife. It takes maybe 3 or 4 seconds to do this.

I guess it's kind of pointless to argue such a subjective thing, though.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I mean, that's fine and all, but I don't get it.

If you just want to see a photo of your daughter, why not make that your lock screen wallpaper? You can also get the time and date there. I'll never understand clock/weather widgets.

Personally, I'd rather just unlock the device and jump into my photos app where I have an iCloud album dedicated to great photos of my son that I share with my wife. It takes maybe 3 or 4 seconds to do this.

I guess it's kind of pointless to argue such a subjective thing, though.

I used to be able to look at my lockscreen. Then the crazy fast touchID happened.
Now I have to use a different finger (or the power button) to get the same effect.

#firstworldproblems.

Top Bottom