• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Verizon is a piece of shit customer service.

Tell me they guarantee on release date after their first fuck up and calling an executive, then they told me I should get it no later then Wednesday, then I got a call today telling me that what I was told was wrong and that I have to wait longer for my 128GB Rose Gold 6S+ and that it won't be here this week and I wasn't expedited.

Getting a call back to get a full story from an exec tomorrow and an exact estimate. They better be crediting and accommodating me for their lack of service and accurate information and wasting my time the past couple weeks.

Called at least a dozen times confirming with 4-5 different employees that I would get it before October. Now I'm told I'm not. Waste my time, set me back on work since I don't have my phone. They better accommodate me $$$ for basically lying to me and setting me back on weeks of work cause I'm not happy at all.

My girlfriend has the other 64GB Rose Gold and I can't have her wait since her phone is even more busted than mine.

Yeah, Verizon customer service was garbage back when I was on them. Get a different story/assurance each time you call. Just a general rule of thumb in life is to assume that customer service reps know nothing and are perfectly willing to bullshit you. Never believe anything they say.

Is every American phone service scum?

I don't think I've been this pissed off at any of the carriers I've used before.

T-Mobile is the only big one that, at a company level, does not seem like it's trying to get one over on me at every turn of the way.

You'll still encounter clueless CS reps, but that's the same story for just about anything and anywhere.

Shun

Yeah, Verizon customer service was garbage back when I was on them. Get a different story/assurance each time you call. Just a general rule of thumb in life is to assume that customer service reps know nothing and are perfectly willing to bullshit you. Never believe anything they say.

T-Mobile is the only big one that, at a company level, does not seem like it's trying to get one over on me at every turn of the way.

You'll still encounter clueless CS reps, but that's the same story for just about anything and anywhere.

The problem is that I emailed and called an executive and I have a list of names of people I talked to and I keep bringing this shit up. I never got any help.

They even told me they would take a note of this situation and that when I call again they know exactly what I'm talking about.

If I don't get the help I need tomorrow I'm going to go email and complain to every executive for the bullshit they're pulling on me because you can't continually say you GUARANTEE and give me a bullshit story that I won't get my services again.

They tell me they will call me back but they don't and I have to call in myself. What kind of service is that.

Why do I have to wait till October 12-21st for their fuck up and have to deal with it while it affects my work and productivity. Credit me $$$ and throw my name on the top of the priority list for having to call 12+ times for fucking help.

Just ruined my damn day finding it out after being told I WILL GUARANTEE GET A TRACKING NUMBER TODAY. Fuck them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is that I emailed and called an executive and I have a list of names of people I talked to and I keep bringing this shit up. I never got any help.

They even told me they would take a note of this situation and that when I call again they know exactly what I'm talking about.

If I don't get the help I need tomorrow I'm going to go email and complain to every executive for the bullshit they're pulling on me because you can't continually say you GUARANTEE and give me a bullshit story that I won't get my services again.

They tell me they will call me back but they don't and I have to call in myself. What kind of service is that.

It's garbage. I think some people do make notes for other reps to refer to, but without knowing how their systems work, I imagine the other reps are either just inept or don't bother looking things up. They probably use some garbage enterprise software that doesn't even work as intended, too.

But, yeah, Verizon was a frustrating company to work with when something went wrong. Very glad I left them behind for T-Mobile, which has been faster, more reliable, and comes with far less bullshit at every step.

pbsapeer

Banned
Wasn't going to get one.

Was quite happy with my iPhone 5.

The misses wanted rose gold as smher iPhone 5C is looking worse for wear.

2 new iPhone 6s' coming for us now. I'm quite excited and can't sleep :( (its 3am)

SeanR1221

Weird restore thing happened on my wife's phone.

She had a lot of workout videos saved under the videos app. They didn't restore on the new phone. Anyone have any ideas why?

Is anyone else going to get the finger grip? Or is it just me? I know it's ugly but it's super hard to use my 6S Plus with fairly small fingers

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Handle-Seen-Compatible-E-Readers/dp/B00NNZCVHO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1443492933&sr=8-3&keywords=finger+grip+iphone

That looks so jank.

Just hold your phone with your fingers. Situate one end at the base of your fingers where they meet your palm, and rest it on/against your fingers. To reach one corner of the screen with your thumb, have your fingers act like a lever and bring the phone up and your thumb down simultaneously. Hopefully that makes sense - it's really not complicated at all and very natural.

Don't hold it like people did the 3.5" iphones (ie against the pad at the base of your thumb) - of course it won't work that way. If you hold it the way I described you'll be fine, even for one handed use, if you have average male-sized hands. Hell, my friend with noticeably smaller than average male-sized hands holds his easily and operates it mainly one-handed this way. Never dropped it either.

Garou

She had a lot of workout videos saved under the videos app. They didn't restore on the new phone. Anyone have any ideas why?

If they were in the Videos-app they must have come through iTunes, so just sync again from iTunes.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

What do you mean "saved"? Synced from the PC? Downloaded from iTunes Store?

In our case, I moved the wife and daughter onto their own accounts, logged into the stores on their own accounts. They "lost" all of the videos in the Videos app. But not really. Now they just have to go into Purchased and grab them from there. Slightly more annoying, but now everything isn't funneled through my account like preferences, wish lists, etc.

JayDub

Live photos is so janky. Gah the FPS is so low. Like watching a BAD gif. I have my daughter blowing me a kiss on my lock screen as my Live Photo, and if it was as smooth as the stock live photos, it'd be great.

Ill be turning this feature off. It was just there to have another use case to justify 3D Touch. Is there a way to strip the "live" portion off of a photo already taken with Live on?

borghe

Live photos is so janky. Gah the FPS is so low. Like watching a BAD gif. I have my daughter blowing me a kiss on my lock screen as my Live Photo, and if it was as smooth as the stock live photos, it'd be great.

Ill be turning this feature off. It was just there to have another use case to justify 3D Touch. Is there a way to strip the "live" portion off of a photo already taken with Live on?
Eh, my two cents is for me it's essentially free. A 128GB phone and 200GB plan means I still have a ton of space, you still have the same quality photo, and if you never look at the Live portion great, but who knows.. Maybe among hundreds of pics you end up with a really cute Live one down the road. I mean unless you are totally starved for space, just don't look at the Live part? Heck knows I'd rather look at it that way then some time saying "oh man that would have been cool if I had Live on, damn it..." I'd just leave it on.

Finally got and are using my iPhone today and it does feel weird..I must say. Being so use to android, im slightly feeling buyers remorse but I'm trying to stick with it. Like, comparing the camera with the S6 that I currently have that I'm sending back...is giving me this feeling of regret. The camera doesn't even compare just looking at the two, but I'm going to rock this out and see where it takes me.

SeanR1221

If they were in the Videos-app they must have come through iTunes, so just sync again from iTunes.

What do you mean "saved"? Synced from the PC? Downloaded from iTunes Store?

In our case, I moved the wife and daughter onto their own accounts, logged into the stores on their own accounts. They "lost" all of the videos in the Videos app. But not really. Now they just have to go into Purchased and grab them from there. Slightly more annoying, but now everything isn't funneled through my account like preferences, wish lists, etc.

Yeah they were from a workout site she subscribes to and had originally imported from iTunes so she'll have to re import them. It makes sense when I thought about it why they don't back up. They'd take up a ton of iCloud space.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Except that anyone with iOS 9 or OS X El Capitan can view the live photos, even if they don't have 3D touch, so it has nothing to do with that.

The videos are 15 FPS, which is slow, you're right, but they're not meant to be video. I think they are great for capturing ambience--the "feeling" of the moment in which you took the shot. It works really well for stuff like branches waving in the wind, etc. It's terrible for action or quickly moving targets, obviously, because it's only 15 FPS, although I can think of some cool uses to create "scary" videos with it. For action-heavy stuff, you're better off taking a video, which is just one swipe away on the camera app.

Finally got and are using my iPhone today and it does feel weird..I must say. Being so use to android, im slightly feeling buyers remorse but I'm trying to stick with it. Like, comparing the camera with the S6 that I currently have that I'm sending back...is giving me this feeling of regret. The camera doesn't even compare just looking at the two, but I'm going to rock this out and see where it takes me.

Why? If you vastly prefer one device to another, why use the one you have issues with?

Hmm, in the reviews I've seen basically Samsung looks better in some shots and the 6S better in others. I never saw any comparison shots where it "doesn't even compare" though. Be sure the Live Photos button is turned off (the concentric circles button in the top-middle), as it apparently reduces image quality especially in low-light situations.

MRSA

Banned
Is every American phone service scum?

I don't think I've been this pissed off at any of the carriers I've used before.

AT&T had the best CS in my experience. T-Mobile isn't as good but they're more willing to throw free things at me compared to AT&T, their reps are less informed than AT&T but T-Mobile does so much to stir up the market that even their reps don't know what's going on.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Let us know how you like it! I hope you find my previous impressions to be true!
They are indeed true. This is an incredible phone. The size still surprised me but so far I'm not finding any problems in handling it.

My gosh, going back to my 5s makes me wonder how I ever made it with such a small phone.

Man oh man this is great.

I'm having issues with Apple Pay on my 6S on 9.0.1. Tried to use it at both Whole Foods and McDonalds and Wallet kept stating that "Touch ID or a passcode is required to pay." even though Touch ID works (authenticates me in apps, App Store, iTunes Store, and unlocks phone), NFC works (my phone popped up Wallet when it was near the pay terminal), and my settings have Wallet turned on under Touch ID and Passcode. Verified that my cards were correct and also removed/readded them. My phone was also set up as new and never restored from a backup.

The links below show that other people tried it earlier tonight and same thing happened to them on both a 6/6+ and 6S/6S+. It looks to be software related because it was working with iOS8 for the users of a 6/6+ but no idea what the fix could be.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-pay-not-working.1922793/
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-pay-no-longer-working-on-iphone-6.1922764/

Shenmue

Banned
They are indeed true. This is an incredible phone. The size still surprised me but so far I'm not finding any problems in handling it.

My gosh, going back to my 5s makes me wonder how I ever made it with such a small phone.

Yay!

Once you've been using this phone for a week or a month, try going back to the 5s it feels so TINY.

Uh so my iPhone 6S just randomly shut off and is completely unresponsive. Holding power doesnt work. Home button doesnt work. Screen is just black. Was at 90% charge before this happened. WTF?

Anyone ever had this happen to them?

edit: Had to hold power and home button together for like 20 seconds to get it to restart. WTF. That was weird.

btrboyev

Uh so my iPhone 6S just randomly shut off and is completely unresponsive. Holding power doesnt work. Home button doesnt work. Screen is just black. Was at 90% charge before this happened. WTF?

edit: Had to hold power and home button together for like 20 seconds to get it to restart. WTF. That was weird.

Hold power and home button for 15 secs.

rizzo0

Just curious what do you guys use for photo/video backup on the iPhone? I use a mix of iCloud storage with Onedrive storage that comes with my office 365 sub.

I'm always thinking about using google photos which compresses the photos just a tiny bit but it seems to really compress video pretty bad which kinda sucks.

Just curious what do you guys use for photo/video backup on the iPhone? I use a mix of iCloud storage with Onedrive storage that comes with my office 365 sub.

I'm always thinking about using google photos which compresses the photos just a tiny bit but it seems to really compress video pretty bad which kinda sucks.

Photo/video backup every other day via direct uploads on my computer. They are usually too big for iCloud

Shun

I'm not used to this crap since I'm on a plan with family here and it is my first time ordering through carrier instead of direct from Apple.

I kind of wish I was back with au, or even try SoftBank than deal with this nightmare here on my uncle's plan.

Vyer

Nice.

That 3GS and 4 jump tho

I'm not used to this crap since I'm on a plan with family here and it is my first time ordering through carrier instead of direct from Apple.

I kind of wish I was back with au, or even try SoftBank than deal with this nightmare here on my uncle's plan.

Nm, I see. That really sucks. I'm guessing you're stuck with a contract with them or something? If you're going to have to wait anyway, I'd just say fuck it and move to another carrier.

'Doesn't even compare' seems odd, considering every review and comparison I've seen of the two.

Shun

Complained about this before in the thread but Verizon trolled me by delivering only my 64GB Rose Gold 6S+ and telling me that my 128GB is delayed for 3-4 weeks. I'm trying to contact them and keep complaining with uncle help so I can get it earlier.

The 64GB is for my girlfriend and her phone is more busted up than mine. They basically guaranteed me multiple times that both my phones would come in the 25th. Then they told me the 128 would be here by the 30th.

Now they told me that the past times were mistakes and that I'm waiting till I can get a definitive answer, likely the 12-21st.

I'm not gonna deal with this bullshit without complaining so I'm gonna make sure they prioritise my order or give me some sort of credit or benefit for lying to me and forcing me to continually call customer service, only to be led around in circles.

This happened to my 5s and now it's happening with this too. Might be an iOS 9 bug.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

S or S+?

Ninja Dom

Your media never restores afterwards. That's music & videos in the videos app. Of all the media that restores it's your Photos.

My belief is some people only live with iCloud backups and the majority of people have iPhone storage larger than their iCloud backup allows. So their Videos in videos app and music cannot be backed up.

I know that iTunes backup exists but the iTunes backups of my iPhone are about 2GB in size and I'm rocking 128GB iPhone's.

Lightning cable connection to my Mac and then import the photos & videos to the Photos app on OS X, done every 2 or 3 days. I'm waiting for the new OS X update later today so that it can handle the Live Photos correctly.

borghe

iCloud Photo Library with a 200GB plan. I'll upgrade to 1TB if I ever need to, though right now I have 105GB available. If I find myself starting to shoot 4K frequently this might change though (offloading to external drive on Mac)

But short of that, iCloud Photo Library is exactly what I want and need and at the moment am only out of pocket $36 per year.

Pachimari

Is the camera on the iPhone 6S worse than that on the Galaxy S6?

I'm currently trying to find myself a new phone and can't decide.

bionic77

I just save my photos and videos to the computer every few months.

It is not elegant and seems pretty ghetto in 2015 but I am not paying extra for iCloud. Fucking Apple with its 100 billion in the bank should let us save those photos to the cloud for free when we buy their 1000 dollar phones.

Vyer

No

I pretty much do the same, mostly OneDrive. Lots of space and a well maintained mobile app.

I have been using both OneDrive and Google Photos/Drive on my Android for the last year trying to figure out which I liked better. I still can't really decide, because the Google Photos app is incredibly nice, but the 1 TB you get with Office 365 is also amazing.

Anyway now that I've switched back to iPhone (I had a 4S), I'm still using Google and OneDrive..I have iCloud completely turned off for backing up photos. I don't like the idea that deleting a photo on my phone will delete it in the cloud. It's counter-intuitive to what I'd like my cloud storage backup to be like...unless I am mistaken, someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that. Really my only issue with Apple (I've been using macbooks for ~10 years now) is that they overly complicate syncing (imo, I know this isn't exactly a common opinion..), and I'm always confused and scared that something will be lost forever (be it a video, song, or picture) if I make a slight mistake when trying to control my storage.

The only thing that is making me doubt my cloud storage options now is the Live Photos. :( I have no idea how I can save those if I refuse to use iCloud..

I've been loving my 6s! Honestly, the best feature is the updated Touch ID. It's not even a thought anymore. 3D touch is still kind of a gimmick, and live photos are just trash.

I've been loving my 6s! Honestly, the best feature is the updated Touch ID. It's not even a thought anymore. 3D touch is still kind of a gimmick, and live photos are just trash.

Touch ID is amazing. So many apps use it! All my banking/credit card apps use it!

I love 3D Touch, though. It doesn't have a ton of uses right now, but it's the little stuff that matters with it, imo. It's easy and practical.

borghe

I'm currently trying to find myself a new phone and can't decide.

General rundown that I've found.

Samsung has slightly finer detail at 16Mp/16:9, but ends up fuzzy on the outer edges of the pic. At 4:3 Samsung is a little less but still slightly finer detail, but effectively only 11.9Mp. Samsung outdoor images look great, EXCEPT carry a slightly different white balance than what's actually there (usually much warmer than real life). Most agree that even accounting for Samsung's slightly better detail, outdoor, at gun point, often goes to the 6s.

Indoor with ample lighting, at gun point, often goes to the S6, even though the 6s looks fantastic. Slightly better detail, and the larger aperture helps just a little bit.

Low light "easily" goes to the S6. This was sadly expected from the 6s... Apple could not change the size of the sensor.. thus the pixels had to get smaller... they were able to reduce crosstalk noise in well lit shots... but in low light shots, the size of your pixels are virtually everything. Low light for 6s Plus looks only slightly worse than low light on the 6 Plus (which is still the king for low light), but Apple needed to get to 12Mp to hit 4K recording.. :(

I don't like the idea that deleting a photo on my phone will delete it in the cloud. It's counter-intuitive to what I'd like my cloud storage backup to be like...unless I am mistaken

A little confused why you would want to delete a photo from one device but not all devices... the only thing I could think of is space, but that's what the "optimize storage" option is for. Turning that on defaults to storing low res/size photos on the device by default until you open them, downloading the full res version.

With all of this talk of photos.. I have to say Live Photo is really evolutionary.. it truly adds life browsing through your photo library, as well as at times gives flat out a better experience to a pic (depending on the actual Live part obviously). I'd go so far as to say it's a shame it's a proprietary feature to Apple. I would actually love something like this on Instagram or Facebook. "Well duh, that's what video is for"... but it's not.. video is long form (don't even get me started on vine...). It's composed, framed, edited, etc.. Live Photo is a photo. the same as it's always been. Just with a little tiny bit more there to frame the moment the photo was taken. I really never thought twice about it during and after the iPhone event... but having had my phone for a few days now and just taking pics like normal, it's really changed my library in regards to those pics. Even just flipping through them and getting that brief snippet of motion..

Sarye

With all of this talk of photos.. I have to say Live Photo is really evolutionary.. it truly adds life browsing through your photo library, as well as at times gives flat out a better experience to a pic (depending on the actual Live part obviously). I'd go so far as to say it's a shame it's a proprietary feature to Apple. I would actually love something like this on Instagram or Facebook. "Well duh, that's what video is for"... but it's not.. video is long form (don't even get me started on vine...). It's composed, framed, edited, etc.. Live Photo is a photo. the same as it's always been. Just with a little tiny bit more there to frame the moment the photo was taken. I really never thought twice about it during and after the iPhone event... but having had my phone for a few days now and just taking pics like normal, it's really changed my library in regards to those pics. Even just flipping through them and getting that brief snippet of motion..
From what I remember, there's an API for Live Photos so 3rd party developers can integrate them in their apps like facebook, instagram etc. Obviously non iOS9 devices won't see it but I understand why.

A little confused why you would want to delete a photo from one device but not all devices... the only thing I could think of is space, but that's what the "optimize storage" option is for. Turning that on defaults to storing low res/size photos on the device by default until you open them, downloading the full res version.

I have a digital photo library dating back to 2000, and I am basically the photo keeper for my whole immediate family. I don't use iPhoto, and I maintain my folder structure by year for every photo taken the last 15 years because not my whole family uses mac. I prefer the standard folder structure over being forced to keep an iPhoto library I can't control easily on a Windows PC. Being able to upload my phone pictures to the cloud and then delete all of the pictures off of my phone makes it easier for me to personally track my pictures. I download the latest phone backup off the cloud and store it on my computer in a folder. Not being able to clear my phone storage makes the process confusing for me, and it scares me that I would make a mistake. I do not consider the cloud a 'device' so if I delete something from a device I don't expect it to disappear from my backup service. This is literally how every backup service has worked, but Apple changed it up and it's nice for people who like it that way, but I wish there was an option to do it the normal and old way like every other cloud/backup service. It's a common criticism for people who don't want to be locked into Apple's folder structuring because I'm not sure I'll be using macs for the rest of my life even if I have been the last 10 years.

Hopefully that makes sense.

People still transfer photos to their computer using a cable?
Oh my!

(I've been using iCloud Photo Library for the last few months and it's amazing, can't ever go back to non-cloud syncing now.)

People still transfer photos to their computer using a cable?
Oh my!

(I've been using iCloud Photo Library for the last few months and it's amazing, can't ever go back to non-cloud syncing now.)

Hmm not sure if you were talking about my post, but no that is not what I do. I automatically upload to OneDrive and Google Photos and download the latest folder every now and then to keep a physical backup on my server/computer.

I was telling the other poster that it feels overly difficult to do something like that with iCloud, and it is the reason I don't use it. I wish there was an option to use iCloud Photo Library as more of a standard cloud/backup tool because I don't like the idea that deleting a photo on my phone will delete it from the cloud/my backup.

Top Bottom