• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

If that card is indicative of his overall credit utilization rate, he won't have great credit for long. Optimal utilization is somewhere in the realm of 10%-35%.

Probably not a good idea to run within $300 of the credit limit on any card. Just use another credit card or increase the limit on the original.

OK he is fine otherwise, that's why he has amazing credit. =)

BumRush

All, my job will pay for any new phone for me. I've had an iPhone 5 and currently have the Samsung Galaxy S5 (which I love). My wife is getting an iPhone so I'm considering switching to the 6S or 6S+. What's so much better about this iteration than the Galaxy S5 or the iPhone 5? Thanks in advance!

I'm really loving the phone.

The only thing I'm having trouble doing consistently is bringing up the app switcher using 3D Touch. I just have to get used to the amount of force I apply

I finally figured out how to do it each time. My 3D Touch sensitivity is on the lowest setting, and one press brings up the preview of the previous app, and another press in that same spot brings up the app switcher. Or conversely, if you just press really hard you'll go through both animations and bring up the app switcher.

Why? If you vastly prefer one device to another, why use the one you have issues with?

Well, it's about trying something new. I'm not exactly departing from Android because it is home to me, but I've never had an iPhone and i was waiting for apple to finally give me a reason to step in. I think the 6S is the best one to step into at this time. I dont know about the 7 but for right now, I think this is the bold step.

Hmm, in the reviews I've seen basically Samsung looks better in some shots and the 6S better in others. I never saw any comparison shots where it "doesn't even compare" though. Be sure the Live Photos button is turned off (the concentric circles button in the top-middle), as it apparently reduces image quality especially in low-light situations.

Idk, i'm doing some comparisons with both and there are some conditions where the iPhone does have a more true natural look and the S6 does have some wash shots, but by far, the S6 definitely has the edge imo.

----

Day one with the phone and getting a hang of things. Feels smaller than I thought it was but I'm willing to compromise with better features here and there. Now, I like the standard view but would like a better calibrated look without going to zoomed. Anyone have any tips that I can use to leave the icons small but make the text under them bigger and in other non-apple apps such as google inbox?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
All, my job will pay for any new phone for me. I've had an iPhone 5 and currently have the Samsung Galaxy S5 (which I love). My wife is getting an iPhone so I'm considering switching to the 6S or 6S+. What's so much better about this iteration than the Galaxy S5 or the iPhone 5? Thanks in advance!

Get whatever works best for the work you do. I really liked Blackberry for my work since I need to pound out lots of emails on the go and I only had to charge the thing twice a week which was a godsend when traveling long distances.

Keep your personal device separate at all costs.

The company will have rights to review everything done on the company purchased phone and also have the rights to remote wipe. No need to give that kind of access to your personal device.

Rootbeer

Banned
So just now for the second time since I setup my 6S+ my screen turned on and said something like "This accessory may not be supported" even though bluetooth is off and nothing is connected to it except the charger.

WTF Is going on? Anyone else?

BumRush

Get whatever works best for the work you do. I really liked Blackberry for my work since I need to pound out lots of emails on the go and I only had to charge the thing twice a week which was a godsend when traveling long distances.

Keep your personal device separate at all costs.

The company will have rights to review everything done on the company purchased phone and also have the rights to remote wipe. No need to give that kind of access to your personal device.

I will still keep my Galaxy S5 for personal use. I should have mentioned above but my phone has to be android or apple...those are the only two ecosystems that work with my company's software. I don't know enough about what's so great in this year's update to make a decision.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So just now for the second time since I setup my 6S+ my screen turned on and said something like "This accessory may not be supported" even though bluetooth is off and nothing is connected to it except the charger.

I haven't seen this.
Do you have something trying to connect over wifi? Maybe an issue with wifi sync?

Vyer

Really like that Instagram has added 3D Touch support already. Not only the icon shortcuts but you can peek at photos in the search page and even swipe up and quick like or comment if you'd like. Really looking forward to more implementations.

Well, it's about trying something new. I'm not exactly departing from Android because it is home to me, but I've never had an iPhone and i was waiting for apple to finally give me a reason to step in. I think the 6S is the best one to step into at this time. I dont know about the 7 but for right now, I think this is the bold step.

Idk, i'm doing some comparisons with both and there are some conditions where the iPhone does have a more true natural look and the S6 does have some wash shots, but by far, the S6 definitely has the edge imo.

----

Day one with the phone and getting a hang of things. Feels smaller than I thought it was but I'm willing to compromise with better features here and there. Now, I like the standard view but would like a better calibrated look without going to zoomed. Anyone have any tips that I can use to leave the icons small but make the text under them bigger and in other non-apple apps such as google inbox?

I believe under Accessibility in Settings there are some text options but I've never played with them, you'll prob have to experiment a bit.

I'm really loving the phone.

The only thing I'm having trouble doing consistently is bringing up the app switcher using 3D Touch. I just have to get used to the amount of force I apply
I came up with a pretty good way to 3D touch the app switcher-

You use the side edge of your left thumb to start, then roll the thumb down squarly on its face in one fluid motion.

Idk if that makes sense but it works for me. Key is to use the side of ur thumb like a blade (?) lol. You will see pressure is not important

kaskade

Battery on the + is so nice. Still at 85% as of almost 3pm. I used it heavily yesterday and got it to about 20%, I was doing a lot of waiting in doctors offices so lots of browsing. I'm usually not on it as much at work but I feel like I'd be at about 60 by now on the 6.

dork

Banned

Is it the apple charger? That has popped up on my 4, 5 and 6 from various random chargers

Rootbeer

Banned
Is it the apple charger? That has popped up on my 4, 5 and 6 from various random chargers

fresh out of the package charger. I think maybe it just doesn't like the usb on my computer. even though my previous apple phones as well as various android devices had no issues.

i've charged it with no issues over the past few days from other sources. guess that must be it :T

It's weird though. what seems to be happening is that it WILL charge from my PC's USB port but once it reaches 100% then it says it's not supported. becuase it reached 100% and was at 80% when i plugged it in earlier... just all-around weird

It's tough with the leather case I have on. Basically the force only has to be the first stage (the "peek") but your finger has to roll in from off the edge of the screen, it can't start there

I came up with a pretty good way to 3D touch the app switcher-

You use the side edge of your left thumb to start, then roll the thumb down squarly on its face in one fluid motion.

Idk if that makes sense but it works for me. Key is to use the side of ur thumb like a blade (?) lol. You will see pressure is not important

Thanks! It definitely helped!

Maximus.

Is anyone deciding between an iPhone 6S+ and Nexus 6P? How do you choose?

Comes down to the type of technical support you want, the types of apps you use and type of experience you want interacting with the device. Either option is good, but depends on many factors.

Arcteryx

How can you tell which chip you have?

There's a site that installs a profile that will supposedly let you know which chip you have, but honestly...just hold off.

If you really REALLY must know: turn on airplane mode right after accepting the profile, find out which chip, wipe your device, and restore.

Installing random profiles isn't the best idea (especially those from China).

Arcteryx

Why does this even matter? Seems pretty dumb to put yourself at risk just to see a chip that should have no tangible impact on your experience.

At this point it's hard to tell, but people get all caught up in things like this easily (huge posts on macrumors about different MBP display manufacturers etc).

Honestly, the only thing I'm potentially worried about is QC. I don't want some MBP nVidia-esque fiasco here.

S¡mon

Banned
Why does this even matter? Seems pretty dumb to put yourself at risk just to see a chip that should have no tangible impact on your experience.

It's an app that will still run in iOS' sandbox mode. If you delete it, it's really gone.

Of course, there's the small risk that it is some sort of new malware that's able to circumvent the iOS security measures... but in that case, it would be smarter to incorporate the malware in another, more popular, app.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
S+. Retired my iPad yesterday, plan to retire my iPhone 5S today as well. Then my one-device experience will finally begin. :D

Curious to see if you stick it out. Logically I can see the appeal, but I think I'd miss the screen size of an iPad - at least for watching video at home. Maybe a good excuse to get the iPad pro ;)

Anyone have a good podcast app recommendation? Just one that's fast with a nice looking UI. And I don't mind paying for it.

PocketCasts is great for cross platform compatibility and syncing. Plus they offer a paid web player to boot. (Small fee a year)

I really like Overcast though, the SmartSpeed feature works great but I think you can't stream podcasts on it (yet)

Got my Verizon 6S 128GB today. It has a faint blue area running down the left side of the screen :\ Anyone else seen this? Going to play with it a bit and see if I can live with it.

Also, since I'm replacing an existing iPhone 6 with the 6S what is the proper way to activate on Verizon? Do I just power off the old phone and power on the new or do I have to switch SIM cards?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I use Downcast. It works well and offers -30 sec, -15 sec, +30 sec, +2 min navigation options in the main interface which is more than what I typically see in other apps that just have a -30 sec and +30 sec.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is anyone deciding between an iPhone 6S+ and Nexus 6P? How do you choose?

not really sure how the two are comparable. 6P is a great android phone with it looks like a damn fine camera.

6s Plus is the fastest phone on the market with newest iOS.

I'd say the iPhone 6 Plus and 6P are much more comparable.. both in price, speed, overall features, etc. Obviously the camera in the 6P has 4K and 12Mp, but beyond that the phones are more comparable IMHO than the 6s Plus. 6s Plus is basically for people wanting/needing the bleeding edge.

Arcteryx

Got my Verizon 6S 128GB today. It has a faint blue area running down the left side of the screen :\ Anyone else seen this? Going to play with it a bit and see if I can live with it.

There are a couple threads on macrumors regarding screen issues (brightness, spotting, etc.), might give those a check.

I'd say give it a day or two and see if it clears up; if not, take it back/into an Apple store and get a replacement.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There actually seem to be some OK offers in the uk - Carphone have a flash sale on with the 16GB 6S £50 upfront and then £35 per month for 2/3GB data. Or £100 upfront for the 64GB 6S.

samn

There actually seem to be some OK offers in the uk - Carphone have a flash sale on with the 16GB 6S £50 upfront and then £35 per month for 2/3GB data. Or £100 upfront for the 64GB 6S.

That 16GB offer works out at £14.63 a month for 2GB of data and 1000 mins. If you just want the data and don't make many calls you can find cheaper deals at Three and Giffgaff.

What differentiates the good from bad usually? Cloud vs. download, voice amplify, sleep timer? Currently using Overcast but I'll try out this one.

Pretty much all those things. For me, the ability to stream or download, decent file management options (i.e. automatically deleting old episodes), ability to sync across devices and operating systems, and a really lovely UI.

Downcast is also nice. I haven't used it in a quite awhile, but its what I used before Pocket Cast and I remember liking it quite a bit. I'm sure it has only gotten better over the past couple of years.

NYR

Who cares what chip you have? Are you going to return it? Will it impact your enjoyment? Did it impact your enjoyment before using it?

Ignorance is bliss - I would advise you to join this camp with me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
T-Mobile is seriously the worst company to have to deal with.

Two visits to the T-Mobile store now trying to return my iPhone 6+ and they can't take it back because it isn't in their system yet to be able to take it back. Went in on Saturday, returned one of our 6+ no problem. Other one? Can't do it. They said give it 24-48 hours then come back. Go back today. Still nothing.

I have never had to deal with as much incompetence as I have with getting these stupid phones. I never would have done his JOD deal if I knew I would have to deal with this crap.

Tryxx

Anyone else noticing a very very slight freeze when unlocking the phone through touchID? It does not happen every time, but every now and then when unlocking the phone when I reach my home screen a 1 second lag spike/freeze happens and then the phone is perfect. IPhone 6S Plus here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That 16GB offer works out at £14.63 a month for 2GB of data and 1000 mins. If you just want the data and don't make many calls you can find cheaper deals at Three and Giffgaff.

Just seems unusual as stores always seemed to like to ream people for at least 6 months after the release of a new iPhone.

Arcteryx

Anyone else noticing a very very slight freeze when unlocking the phone through touchID? It does not happen every time, but every now and then when unlocking the phone when I reach my home screen a 1 second lag spike/freeze happens and then the phone is perfect. IPhone 6S Plus here.

Happens on my plus as well, but only maybe ~10% of the time.

Top Bottom