• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Reckoner

Good point.

Should be fun... Maybe you'll be able to disable it?

You don't even have to use it as it is right now. It just gives a better way to get around the UI mainly for power users. The same old experience people are used to is still the same.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
not sure if this has been asked but with the apple upgrade plan do you you have to pay for the tax upfront?
Also do you HAVE to go in to an apple store or can you do that online? The site only mentions making a reservation online to buy in store.

Apple plan is tax up front. Even though you won't finish all the payments since you will trade the phone in next year.

T-Mobile Jump on Demand plan charges you only the sales tax applicable for each monthly payment. This way when you give the phone back you didn't pay unnecessary sales tax.

TxdoHawk

You don't even have to use it as it is right now. It just gives a better way to get around the UI mainly for power users. The same old experience people are used to is still the same.

I think he means people who don't have great motor control will accidentally press too hard and invoke this stuff all the time, which I could potentially see. Hopefully there's a toggle in Accessibility to turn it off for them.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I cannot wait to preorder this. 2GB of RAM (most likely)...finally moving away from the 16gb ghettos and upping to 64...3D Touch...2x faster Touch ID...and that new crispy camera? Best S upgrade.

Do Apple sell phones off contract at launch?

They don't but they allow you to buy the phone at full price/device only "tied to the carrier". In the last few years, buying a full price/device only phone actually gets you an unlocked model. What people do is buy the Verizon or T-Mobile phone at full price which nets you an unlocked phone (Verizon phones are required to be unlocked via FCC rules) and the T-Mobile version sold through the Apple Store has always been unlocked.

The exception to this was Sprint but they have changed their policies as of February 2015 (they domestically/fully unlock phones now). What I'm going to do is buy a full price/device only 128GB 6S on Sprint but it will be fully unlocked.

I am very happy that Apple is allowing pre-orders on full price/device only phones this year. However, there are two different 6S models - one with CDMA/no Band 30 LTE (Verizon and Sprint model most likely) and no CDMA/Band 30 LTE (AT&T and T-Mobile model).

Synless

If I buy a phone unlocked does that mean my phone bill should be cheaper because I already have a phone fully paid off? I mean, isn't part of the reason my phone bill is high is due to my phone subsidy payments?

Apple plan is tax up front. Even though you won't finish all the payments since you will trade the phone in next year.

T-Mobile Jump on Demand plan charges you only the sales tax applicable for each monthly payment. This way when you give the phone back you didn't pay unnecessary sales tax.

Any idea what would happen if I bought the phone in NH (tax free), but my cell account was in MA? Typically everyone around here buys their electronics in NH, but I'm unsure if I will be taxed (if I buy/upgrade in NH) if I do the installment plan with ATT Next. Seems like I'll probably be charged sales tax regardless of where I buy since my account is in MA.

If I buy a phone unlocked does that mean my phone bill should be cheaper because I already have a phone fully paid off? I mean, isn't part of the reason my phone bill is high is due to my phone subsidy payments?

Yes it should be cheaper. Example is you pay $80 a month ($50 for plan + $30 for phone), but buying the phone outright will be cheaper because then you'll only pay $50 a month.

Enco

Old people press harder than normal.

This will surely lead to accidental force touching.

If we pre-order does the money get taken on the 25th? If so, I'll probably go for the 6+. If it ends up that it's only 1GB RAM, I'll return it within 14 days.

TxdoHawk

So I guess I'm just going to give up and join Jump on Demand, since T-Mob is doing everything in their power to incentivize it and I really don't want to deal with the Apple plan, since it involves a hard credit pull. But now I have no idea how this is going to work, since pre-orders will start at midnight and you have to join JoD in-store.

They don't but they allow you to buy the phone at full price/device only "tied to the carrier". In the last few years, buying a full price/device only phone actually gets you an unlocked model. What people do is buy the Verizon or T-Mobile phone at full price which nets you an unlocked phone (Verizon phones are required to be unlocked via FCC rules) and the T-Mobile version sold through the Apple Store has always been unlocked.

The exception to this was Sprint but they have changed their policies as of February 2015 (they domestically/fully unlock phones now). What I'm going to do is buy a full price/device only 128GB 6S on Sprint but it will be fully unlocked.

I am very happy that Apple is allowing pre-orders on full price/device only phones this year. However, there are two different 6S models - one with CDMA/no Band 30 LTE (Verizon and Sprint model most likely) and no CDMA/Band 30 LTE (AT&T and T-Mobile model).
Hmm. I'll be visiting the U.S. from the UK on release day, so I'm not sure if there's any way I can get one that'll work when I get back home.

Revoh

I want to upgrade but I'm going to wait another year for the iPhone 7.
My 64 GB 5s is still a decent phone... 😫

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So I guess I'm just going to give up and join Jump on Demand, since T-Mob is doing everything in their power to incentivize it and I really don't want to deal with the Apple plan, since it involves a hard credit pull. But now I have no idea how this is going to work, since pre-orders will start at midnight and you have to join JoD in-store.

T-Mobile already answered this question.

Current JoD customers can call the Tmo customer service at 12:01am pst (on the 12th) to preorder the phone. Customer service will send something to your email you need to e-sign. The phone then gets shipped to your house and you have 14 days to return your old iphone. (assuming you are doing the free upgrade)

Non JoD customers can preorder in-store on 9/12.

All JoD customers who preorder before 9/14 are given priority status over those non JoD customers or JoD customers ordering later than 9/14.

My advice to you is to go to the store and get on JoD today or tomorrow. Then call the customer service at midnight.
If that isn't feasible just go to the store in the early AM and hope their system is still up and that too many existing JoD customers didn't push you to second shipment.

Hmm. I'll be visiting the U.S. from the UK on release day, so I'm not sure if there's any way I can get one that'll work when I get back home.

You might be able to walk into an Apple Store and purchase a T-Mobile or Verizon one at full price...but let's not forget about the expected crowds and wait times.

Reckoner

Old people press harder than normal.

This will surely lead to accidental force touching.

If we pre-order does the money get taken on the 25th? If so, I'll probably go for the 6+. If it ends up that it's only 1GB RAM, I'll return it within 14 days.

I get what you mean. There will probably be some option to disable on the Accessibility options. We'll see.

Enco

I get what you mean. There will probably be some option to disable on the Accessibility options. We'll see.
Yea that would make sense.

Charged at time of shipment.
Hmm.

Will be a few tight days but ah well. That's assuming they managed to ship it for the 25th. Would be awesome if I could reserve to pick up.

Do these deliveries usually require a signature or can they just give it to a neighbor/place it in a shed?

Welp, this is Will become my first official iPhone for the year. Difficult, but it goes without saying that I've been an android power user for years. Definitely not leaving android as I mentally can't - but I can feel better about replacing my now lagging S6 without downgrading right now.

Any word on pre-order dates?

Nasser

Welp, this is Will become my first official iPhone for the year. Difficult, but it goes without saying that I've been an android power user for years. Definitely not leaving android as I mentally can't - but I can feel better about replacing my now lagging S6 without downgrading right now.

Releases 9/25. Pre-Orders from 9/12

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Just swap back and forth a every year or so.
No reason to fanboy out on an OS or phone devices.

These days there are plenty of neutral services to use which won't lock you into either party's ecosystem.

Lima

Who at Apple thought pre-orders that start early in the morning on a Saturday were a good idea? Jesus I wanna sleep damn it.

Is Jump on Demand worth it? The deal is nice but it seems like you'll be paying for a phone forever unless you decide to keep it and pay it off.

derek212

Has anybody pre preordered? I tried in the Apple Store app I choose the phone and size but won't let me hit continue!? Has anybody been able to pass this part ?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Is Jump on Demand worth it? The deal is nice but it seems like you'll be paying for a phone forever unless you decide to keep it and pay it off.

Just like with any phone.
The good thing is the time value of money and taxes work in your favor when leasing phones.

Giving up $750 now is more expensive than giving out $750 over 18 installments (installments 19-24 lump sum if you choose to keep it)

If you change devices frequently like I do, then you will be able to enjoy not paying sales tax on the entire device each time. You only pay taxes on the portion you pay for.

It freaks some people out because they get hung up on the "my monthly payments are higher" when, if they budgeted correctly, there wouldn't be much difference between forking over the large sum at once vs leasing over a period of time.

The deal does not make a lot of sense for those who keep their phones longer than a year or are prone to breaking devices. It is also not a good deal for people who buy used phones or phones that are older. This deal is for those who enjoy being on the leading edge.

Everybody who keeps up on the latest mobile tech is "paying for a phone forever". Some of us just choose to pay equally over a period to ease budget planning.

xJavonta

Banned
This is the first year where I'm not itching to upgrade. My iPhone 6 is doing extremely well and the 6S doesn't look to be enough of an upgrade to warrant paying off what's left of my phone just to jump to another iPhone.

Next year it is then!

Just swap back and forth a every year or so.
No reason to fanboy out on an OS or phone devices.

These days there are plenty of neutral services to use which won't lock you into either party's ecosystem.

I just can't. There's a lot of things I like about the Android platform that I can't just not have as a secondary driver. Idk.. I love lollipop can't wait for marshmallow. Google Now has been my go to for everything etc etc. I just can't be without both and I definitely need an iPhone as my daily driver to understand it better. It's much better than my S6 right now and I just about had it with this phone. As I'm typing this, the lag is so real. I hate Samsung, I really do... And I hate that they made a gorgeous phone that runs like absolute shit after 60 days

big_z

Can you cancel preorders on apples webpage?

I have no interest in the phone if it doesn't have 2GB so the option to cancel would be nice.

Top Bottom