• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm definitely getting the 6S+, I just need to figure out the best way to sell my oneplus one.

I offloaded my Oneplus One to T-Mobile to get on their Jump on Demand program. The phone will be hard to sell since many people don't know what the hell it is and will be concerned about having a Chinese knockoff they don't understand.

So in the past I would usually trade my phone in, when I bought my 5S I traded my near mint condition 4S in and got a good amount of money in towards the new phone. With these payment plans I guess that really isn't a option anymore? (Verizon user)

Either way I will go to Best Buy sometime in October when my contract is up, just curious if anyone had any insight.

stormplyr

I offloaded my Oneplus One to T-Mobile to get on their Jump on Demand program. The phone will be hard to sell since many people don't know what the hell it is and will be concerned about having a Chinese knockoff they don't understand.

That's what I figure but att only wants to give me $110 for it

here is what it says

Does that mean, that if you have say ATT next, and want to get on the Apple Upgrade Program they won't let you because you aren't activating a new line?

I thought I would get on apple upgrade, get a new 6S+, then sell my old 6+ on eBay and pay whatever is owed to ATT so I don't have to phone monthly payments. Doable?

So in the past I would usually trade my phone in, when I bought my 5S I traded my near mint condition 4S in and got a good amount of money in towards the new phone. With these payment plans I guess that really isn't a option anymore? (Verizon user)

Either way I will go to Best Buy sometime in October when my contract is up, just curious if anyone had any insight.
For Apple's payment plan that isn't an option as you're required to give the phone back when you get a new one. In Verizon's case they don't offer a trade-in plan like AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint has. If you buy a new phone on their "Device Payment Plan" then you must completely pay it off (Making it yours) before getting a new one. So for instance if you financed an iPhone 6S with it and then one year later when the iPhone 7 comes out and you end up wanting one you'd be required to pay off the rest of the iPhone 6S first ($324.96) after of which you'd own it and then could either keep it or sell it.

rawd

I usually buy the white Speck Candyshell case for my iPhones but that new Candyshell clear looks hot. What to dooo

For Apple's payment plan that isn't an option as you're required to give the phone back when you get a new one. In Verizon's case they don't offer a trade-in plan like AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint has. If you buy a new phone on their "Device Payment Plan" then you must completely pay it off (Making it yours) before getting a new one. So for instance if you financed an iPhone 6S with it and then one year later when the iPhone 7 comes out and you end up wanting one you'd be required to pay off the rest of the iPhone 6S first ($324.96) after of which you'd own it and then could either keep it or sell it.

Ah ok thanks for that. I never buy a phone once a year so that works out well for me. I don't mind being on the "S cycle".

Thaedolus

The way you casually just called it "the screen separation problem" makes me think that it's a pretty common issue... I had this happen to me; I thought it was my fault! I was able to squeeze the glass back into place but there is noticeable dust under the glass now.

It was a common problem, which I believe was associated with battery swelling due to excessive heat. Perhaps coincidentally, I first noticed it on mine around when I moved to Phoenix in the summer last year...which was around the first time I had my phone tell me to fuck off because it was too hot to work.

Well I'm glad that I locked in Gazelle at $476 for my iPhone 6+. Everywhere else is giving less than $400 for a 128GB iPhone 6+.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is this the first time an iPhone will have haptic feedback?

It was always the first thing I turned off on my android phones and I'm worried it won't be able to be shutoff and I will hate it.

samn

How is normal haptic feedback convenient?

The preview feature of the new phones looks convenient, but the screen vibrating when you touch something is just unpleasant to me.

It's not a typical phone vibration. Normal phone vibrations are >10 oscillations, this is a single oscillation. It should feel a lot more like a press than a buzz.

And it only does it when you use the 3D touch features. Normal taps don't trigger it.

soco

It's not a typical phone vibration. Normal phone vibrations are >10 oscillations, this is a single oscillation. It should feel a lot more like a press than a buzz.

And it only does it when you use the 3D touch features. Normal taps don't trigger it.

how does that compare to the force touch on the new trackpad? It's a short digital click like feeling that feels cold and weird. That's such a disturbing feeling that I doing it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Nice, that sounds OK. I like force touch on the Macbook Pro.

How much did T-Mobile give you for the OPO?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Has there been any confirmation of the RAM yet? The fact it wasn't mentioned during the event makes me thing it's still 1GB.

No confirmation. We go through this every year.
Nobody will know until an actual phone is in-hand and torn apart. Since there aren't any leaked devices available to rip apart we won't know for a while unless solid evidence gets leaked from Apple contracted production/assembly.

This happens every year. This isn't new. The same thing is said about hiding the spec every year. It isn't an indication one way or the other. Just a weird thing Apple doesn't put in their slides.

How much did T-Mobile give you for the OPO?

I signed up for Jump on Demand when it first came out. I get 18 bill credits of $12 ($216). This is why my wife gets her 6S for $15 a month and I get my 6S+ for $21 a month.
T-Mobile would have given the same amount for any smartphone that turned on and didn't have a cracked screen. Many bought the cheapo disposable walmart smartphones and used those as tradeins. I didn't want to deal with the hastle of selling the OPO privately for the reasons mentioned earlier.

kinggroin

Banned

Not true at all.

If you sell your phone on a popular service like swappa or eBay, you'll find those niche hardcore phone heads that know exactly what a one plus is.

Trying to sell it locally in person, that's when you have issues with name brand recognition.

Sold my one plus one for $400 last year in fact.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Not true at all.

If you sell your phone on a popular service like swappa or eBay, you'll find those niche hardcore phone heads that know exactly what a one plus is.

Trying to sell it locally in person, that's when you have issues with name brand recognition.

Sold my one plus one for $400 last year in fact.

Last year they were still supply constrained. Hell I made $400 off invites alone. After a year, not many are looking for a used version when the new version was so damned cheap and the early units (which I had) had screen yellowing issues.

Nobody will know until an actual phone is in-hand and torn apart. Since there aren't any leaked devices available to rip apart we won't know for a while unless solid evidence gets leaked from Apple contracted production/assembly.

This happens every year. This isn't new. The same thing is said about hiding the spec every year. It isn't an indication one way or the other. Just a weird thing Apple doesn't put in their slides.

I signed up for Jump on Demand when it first came out. I get 18 bill credits of $12 ($216). This is why my wife gets her 6S for $15 a month and I get my 6S+ for $21 a month.
T-Mobile would have given the same amount for any smartphone that turned on and didn't have a cracked screen. Many bought the cheapo disposable walmart smartphones and used those as tradeins. I didn't want to deal with the hastle of selling the OPO privately for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Do they force you to trade in a phone to do the jump on demand?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Do they force you to trade in a phone to do the jump on demand?

You can still get on JoD, but trading in a working smartphone is is the only way to get the iPhone bill credit. Otherwise you will pay the normal rate for the phone which is listed on T-Mobile's website.

kinggroin

Banned
Last year they were still supply constrained. Hell I made $400 off invites alone. After a year, not many are looking for a used version when the new version was so damned cheap and the early units (which I had) had screen yellowing issues.

I mean fair enough, but I was more taking about it being hard to sell cause people don't really know what it is.

Has there been any confirmation of the RAM yet? The fact it wasn't mentioned during the event makes me thing it's still 1GB.

It has been officially confirmed at 2GB by Apple Support.

The A9 will likely slaughter this year's Android competition's chipsets, and go blow for blow with next years flagships. Seems to be a beastly chipset.

VoxPop

It has been officially confirmed at 2GB by Apple Support.

The A9 will likely slaughter this year's Android competition's chipsets, and go blow for blow with next years flagships. Seems to be a beastly chipset.

That's great to hear. Looking forward to having it in my hands on launch.

ido

I'm with a fairly small carrier, C Spire, and they are opening pre-orders for this at 2AM CST this Saturday.

I called and they said preordering doesn't cost anything, and you don't even need to enter any payment information. Is this even normal at all?

Hoping it goes smoothly, but I assume it's going to be a clusterfuck.

Good news, guys! I chatted with an Amazon rep today on their website and he confirmed the new phones will have 4.75 GB of RAM! Even better than we hoped!!!

Wait until official teardown and not plausible bullshit from internet anonymous randoms.

hwalker84

Aren't there apps that show specs on iPhones? I seriously don't know as I haven't had one I years.

Mortemis

Banned
You guys know that feature that turns your keyboard into a trackpad on the iPads? Looks like the 6S is getting that, but with force touch to make it pop up instead of two fingers.

Feel sorry for previous iPhone owners, but fuck yeah.

This guy received confirmation from Apple during his hands-on yesterday:
Sorry but I don't see it being mentioned anywhere in that article. They say it has 2GB of RAM but nowhere do they say where they got that information from and plenty of other "news" sites are saying the same thing without a source. The comments even have people talking about where they got the 2GB information from and then people talking about the Reddit source. I'm sure it does have 2GB, but I've yet to see a definitive answer and instead am just seeing people guessing.

giga

We don't have to wait for teardowns. A reviewer just needs to run geek bench to find out.

You guys know that feature that turns your keyboard into a trackpad on the iPads? Looks like the 6S is getting that, but with force touch to make it pop up instead of two fingers.

Feel sorry for previous iPhone owners, but fuck yeah.
Link?

Mortemis

Banned
We don't have to wait for teardowns. A reviewer just needs to run geek bench to find out.

Link?

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/3d-touch/

Scroll down to the headline "more ways to interact in more places"

I don't, care to elaborate?

here's a quick video showing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rj43PfEafY

Basically you can scroll with the trackpad, and highlight stuff much easier. Lemme see if I can find a better video or article explaining it.

3D Touch is going to make these phones unusable for old people. They only know how to do everything but try to jam their fingers through the screen with every touch.

not sure if this has been asked but with the apple upgrade plan do you you have to pay for the tax upfront?
Also do you HAVE to go in to an apple store or can you do that online? The site only mentions making a reservation online to buy in store.

Top Bottom