• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Erebus

Is it just me or does the 6's camera perform way better under low light than the 6S's?

Look at the picture of the coins and the pier
Yeah, it had been also brought up in a review I posted a few pages ago. The iPhone 6 photos appear brighter under low-light because it has bigger pixels in the camera compared to the 6s, thus allowing more light to pass.

I use Downcast. It works well and offers -30 sec, -15 sec, +30 sec, +2 min navigation options in the main interface which is more than what I typically see in other apps that just have a -30 sec and +30 sec.

I use Downcast as well and I haven't yet found a reason to switch to another app. That's partially because of how big of a pain it would be to download all the episodes of podcasts I haven't listened to yet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Since we're talking about apps, do any of the Twitter apps on iOS allow for granular text selection? The official Twitter app and the free version of Twitterific I tried only allow for you to highlight the entire post and copy it, but not the individual words.

I'm primarily looking for this ability so I can use it in conjunction with the built-in dictionary.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is actually a thing in all iPhone models, not 3D touch-specific. Just hold your finger on the album, playlist, artist, or song, and it'll preview for as long as you hold.
Is this really true? I can't get any kind of music preview this way on my iphone 6, running ios9.1 beta.

Fjordson

Bought Pocket Casts and I really like the UI in this also. And you can stream episodes. Guess I'll be sticking with this. Thanks Jugendstil!

This is probably a dumb question but did they remove the "Optimized for iPhone 6 and 6+" in the app info section? Or am I just being an idiot and totally missing it?

Is anyone else's phone randomly going completely unresponsive, forcing you to have to restart it? It was happening on my 5s and now it's on this too. I think it might be an iOS 9 bug.

LordOfChaos

Is it just me or does the 6's camera perform way better under low light than the 6S's?

Look at the picture of the coins and the pier

Yep. 6S is a tad sharper in broad daylight, but in the dark, which is arguably where things need to improve the most, the 6 seems to do better.

So what are the coolest 3d touch things to do? Clicking on links in safari seems kinda slow and cumbersome. Anything else noteworthy?

Peeking into things is currently its most useful feature. I use it on emails and texts to look at something quickly without marking it read. You can use it in maps to quickly get directions to a point on the map. Beyond that I don't think there's a whole lot to do with it until third party apps start implementing it.

ecurbj

This is probably a dumb question but did they remove the "Optimized for iPhone 6 and 6+" in the app info section? Or am I just being an idiot and totally missing it?
No, it's not a dumb question and your not a idiot. They removed it for whatever reason. It's quite annoying because I don't know which apps are not optimized and there are even apps still out there that I use that have not been optimized despite the original iPhone 6 being out for a year now.

Is anyone else's phone randomly going completely unresponsive, forcing you to have to restart it? It was happening on my 5s and now it's on this too. I think it might be an iOS 9 bug.

Sort of. Yesterday the touchscreen was completely unresponsive, but the home and volume buttons still worked. I had to do a hard reset, and when it rebooted it was fine.

So, I guess iOS 9 is the culprit.

xsarien

daedsiluap
So what are the coolest 3d touch things to do? Clicking on links in safari seems kinda slow and cumbersome. Anything else noteworthy?

Safari's shortcuts are great. iMessage is nearly perfect; for some reason it won't show my group chat, though. :/

Also: Shazam's shortcuts to immediately start listening. So awesome.

btrboyev

Mine did this today. I could put in sleep, unlock it, but couldn't do anything with touch until I restarted.

Make sure you are using the app switcher shortcut on the left edge (same as double tapping home) and pressing down on the keyboard to move the text cursor.

Vyer

Places in Maps, some app icons, cursor and text selection when pressing into the keyboard, Live Photos,there's a couple of 3D Touch wallpapers, and some third party apps (official Twitter and Instagram for example)

Hopefully more apps start to integrate it soon

EmiPrime

What differentiates the good from bad usually? Cloud vs. download, voice amplify, sleep timer? Currently using Overcast but I'll try out this one.

PocketCasts is great for cross platform compatibility and syncing. Plus they offer a paid web player to boot. (Small fee a year)

I really like Overcast though, the SmartSpeed feature works great but I think you can't stream podcasts on it (yet)

Pocket Casts web player is a one off fee and it's really good.

The mobile app has a sleep timer, you can do streaming and download but voice amplify and silence remover only work when downloaded just like Overcast (which is understandable).

I used to be able to look at my lockscreen. Then the crazy fast touchID happened.
Now I have to use a different finger (or the power button) to get the same effect.

#firstworldproblems.

I'm telling you guys, the solution to your problem with super fast Touch ID is simple:

When you enroll your fingerprints to unlock the phone, only enroll the pad and the sides. Don't show it the tip of any of your fingers.

Then, use the pad to unlock and the tip for lock screen checks.

So just now for the second time since I setup my 6S+ my screen turned on and said something like "This accessory may not be supported" even though bluetooth is off and nothing is connected to it except the charger.

WTF Is going on? Anyone else?

I've seen this on my wife's old car charger and then her house charger. You need a new charger. Yours is faulty.

Edit: Nevermind. Several others have answered this.

ecurbj

I'm starting to think Apple purposely made the Touch ID lighting fast to make folks get an Apple Watch to check the time rather than their iPhone via Lock Screen, lol.

My old phone wasn't THAT old (5S), but really loving the 6S right now.

Edit: I see it wasn't just me being crazy. The fingerprint scanner is incredibly fast.

ZeroX03

Banned
No I'm just pissed off that I was lied to multiple times after multiple accounts of people telling me I was guaranteed release date. They even checked our phone calls to the service and acknowledged that it was exactly what these representatives told us.

It wouldn't be an issue if we weren't told that we would be guaranteed multiple times and reassured multiple times only to be thoroughly disappointed each and every time.

In or not, they provided shit service and they should accommodate us for basically lying to us as customers under contract.

Today they credited me for having to deal with this back and forth and they apparently "reassures" that I will get it the upcoming shipment October 12th.

I was under the 9/25 shipment, they screwed up and delayed my order. I tried getting prioritization and they've said multiple times they would guarantee me by the 25th. They didn't and basically lied to me and are telling me that it is in the 10/12 shipment now and that they are sorry.

I doubt they're lying to you on purpose. I can tell you that Apple has a bad habit of giving stock estimations rather than exact numbers and badly undershipping.

Most local stores were being told they'd receive Plus models here from Apple on the 23rd. Come the 24th, it was adjusted to no Plus models at all. Now they can certainly keep their communication clear and tell you as soon as any changes happen, but my guess is they thought they were getting stock that was pulled at the last minute.

It's becoming increasingly apparent that Touch ID's improvements were actually an insidious plot to make checking the time on your phone too difficult, forcing consumers to buy an Apple Watch.

I'm starting to think Apple purposely made the Touch ID lighting fast to make folks get an Apple Watch to check the time rather than their iPhone via Lock Screen, lol.

It's been done.

Kibbles

Holy fuck... just was testing out something on my old 6+ I'm selling and my dumbass just slipped the 6s sim tray into my 6+ and while it went in fine it won't pop out now, even when I stick the tool in the hole.

what do?

Holy fuck... just was testing out something on my old 6+ I'm selling and my dumbass just slipped the 6s sim tray into my 6+ and while it went in fine it won't pop out now, even when I stick the tool in the hole.

what do?

on my 5s I had to really push the pin in really hard

thought I was going to break it

it came out fine

Bought Pocket Casts and I really like the UI in this also. And you can stream episodes. Guess I'll be sticking with this. Thanks Jugendstil!

Pocket Casts web player is a one off fee and it's really good.

The mobile app has a sleep timer, you can do streaming and download but voice amplify and silence remover only work when downloaded just like Overcast (which is understandable).

Streaming with smart speed and voice boost are coming in Overcast 2.0. Just don't really have a window for when it's going to release.

I found out today you can 3D Touch tabs in Safari, which enables you to Peek and Pop into them with a really nice animation. If you press just a little on the tab's content area, you can also drag up and down to rearrange the order.

edit: Apparently the Hold & Drag to reorder was already a thing in iOS 8, but it feels like part of 3D Touch now.

Chromax

Without going through all kinds of charts and articles. When does Apple usually come out with a international 4G version? Sometimes in January?

AllenShrz

Something that I LOVE about this phone is the quality of the sound paired to the SE846 and silver cable.

Simply THE BEST audio on a portable I've ever tired, I no longer need to use and external amp to enjoy the SE846 full range.

ZeroX03

Banned
So what are the pros and cons of the iPhone 6s Vs iPhone 6s Plus?

Before jaxapollo goes nuts:

6S Plus Positives
  • Larger screen size
  • Higher PPI
  • OIS in both photos and videos
  • Good deal more battery life
  • Landscape support for a few things
6S Plus Negatives
  • Weaker ergonomics/harder to use one handed
  • Weight
  • Price
  • 0.5% weaker performance, because that's a really big deal and Huelen will point it out.
tldr; it's personal preference. If you'd like a bigger screen size and better battery life, get the Plus. If you'd prefer smaller, cheaper and arguably more comfortable get the regular size.

Pigs

Wait, really? I thought that they would only have the stock available at 8am when they open. This gives me renewed hope.

I went to the Verizon store on Campbell and speedway and told the guy I was interested in a space grey 6S 64gb. He went in the back and got me one. Didn't have to wait or anything. 10 minutes after walking in the store I was on my way home. I was expecting to have to just put in an order and not get it till mid-oct. Maybe try going there.

Shenmue

Banned
So a week later I still am in love with this phone. This is such a weird feeling. I'm very familiar with iPhones, but this is honestly the first iPhone that I've been totally positive with. Weirder still is that the iPhone 6 was the worst iPhone I've ever used.

I honestly can't even think of what they can do to make me upgrade for a good long time now. Obviously they aren't going to be increasing the RAM for another 5 or 6 years.

Nephtis

I went to the Verizon store on Campbell and speedway and told the guy I was interested in a space grey 6S 64gb. He went in the back and got me one. Didn't have to wait or anything. 10 minutes after walking in the store I was on my way home. I was expecting to have to just put in an order and not get it till mid-oct. Maybe try going there.

Right, Verizon has enough stock, I think. Apple store on La Encantada also has a lot of 6S available in all sizes -- the problem is I want the 6S+, and only the 128GB variant. Verizon may have it, but the thing is I'm interested in the upgrade program, which can only be obtained through the Apple store.

Akira

8% battery life:

Usage: 4 hr, 16 min
Standby: 47 hr, 12 min

To be fair though, I'm still waiting for my nano sim to arrive and have been leaving my phone at home and just using it for a few hours in the evening. But.... gotdam

Owari

So what are the pros and cons of the iPhone 6s Vs iPhone 6s Plus?

6S+ cons:
too large to use with one hand
too large to use 3D Touch
UI framerate drops, poor game performance
cannot be used without a case
no landscape app support
annoying rotating home screen you can't turn off

6S con: no OIS

ecurbj

8% battery life:

Usage: 4 hr, 16 min
Standby: 47 hr, 12 min

To be fair though, I'm still waiting for my nano sim to arrive and have been leaving my phone at home and just using it for a few hours in the evening. But.... gotdam

I'm assuming that's the 6s Plus?

I abused the battery on my iPhone 6s Plus yesterday at midnight after it was syncing with my Mac and charged from 98% out of the box back to 100%. It was on standby for 18 hours and used for 17 hours. I never had that with the original 6. Never, ever. So glad I up the ante and got the Plus this time. No turning back at all. I'm getting use to the bigger screen and loving the resolution. And definitely the battery. Whew.

Shun

Without going through all kinds of charts and articles. When does Apple usually come out with a international 4G version? Sometimes in January?

Day one? An unlocked iPhone can work with any carrier and you can switch between SIM card with no issues.

I've had no issues using different country SIM cards on a 4S or a 5S.

Before jaxapollo goes nuts:

6S Plus Positives
  • Larger screen size
  • Higher PPI
  • OIS in both photos and videos
  • Good deal more battery life
  • Landscape support for a few things
6S Plus Negatives
  • Weaker ergonomics/harder to use one handed
  • Weight
  • Price
  • 0.5% weaker performance, because that's a really big deal and Huelen will point it out.
tldr; it's personal preference. If you'd like a bigger screen size and better battery life, get the Plus. If you'd prefer smaller, cheaper and arguably more comfortable get the regular size.

How is the battery life on the 6s?

ZeroX03

Banned
How is the battery life on the 6s?

Pretty good, judging by early benchmarks and reviews. It does have a smaller batter than the 6, but it seems OS optimizations have lead to better battery life in some areas. There's also a new battery saver mode that you can activate. Really depends on your current level of usage. If you're on Safari for hours a day it might not be good enough though.

http://bgr.com/2015/09/29/iphone-6s-iphone-6-plus-battery-life/

PS. wasn't kidding about ignoring jaxapollo, dude who has a huge agenda against the Plus model for some reason and is totally fruit loops

Sigh first world problems:

Deciding between iPhone 6S+ 64GB Rose Gold $723 or Nexus 6P 64GB Arctic $549

Installment Plan 18 Months for iPhone 6S+ or Pay Upfront for Nexus 6P

Aurizen

I'm delighted by my 6s Plus!! the last time I charged this was yesterday 12pm EST its now 1:30 EST! I'm on 32%!!! my old iphone 5 I would've charged it 2-3 times by now!

Top Bottom