• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Akira

I'm assuming that's the 6s Plus?

I abused the battery on my iPhone 6s Plus yesterday at midnight after it was syncing with my Mac and charged from 98% out of the box back to 100%. It was on standby for 18 hours and used for 17 hours. I never had that with the original 6. Never, ever. So glad I up the ante and got the Plus this time. No turning back at all. I'm getting use to the bigger screen and loving the resolution. And definitely the battery. Whew.

Yup. I hope the battery life that good when I'm actually using it the whole day.

Pretty good, judging by early benchmarks and reviews. It does have a smaller batter than the 6, but it seems OS optimizations have lead to better battery life in some areas. There's also a new battery saver mode that you can activate. Really depends on your current level of usage. If you're on Safari for hours a day it might not be good enough though.

http://bgr.com/2015/09/29/iphone-6s-iphone-6-plus-battery-life/

PS. wasn't kidding about ignoring jaxapollo, dude who has a huge agenda against the Plus model for some reason and is totally fruit loops

Eh. I might just go with the 6s model. Thanks.

Eh. I might just go with the 6s model. Thanks.

I'm one that went from 6s+ to 6s. Nothing wrong with Plus of course, I just didn't know what I wanted in a phone (pocketability, I don't take very many videos, etc). Used to watch streams or read a lot on the bigger phones but I may get something else for that in the future. Love this phone.

I might not be able to keep my phone. I bought it at full price knowing full well that I couldn't afford it, in the hopes that I would be able to reserve another model for the iPhone Uograde Program within the two weeks needed to return the one I'm currently typing on

However, even if that happens, people have been getting denied seemingly at random. I have pretty good credit so it should go through smooth, but I'm still nervous

If I can't reserve a phone or if I get denied, this thing is going to have to go back. And that's going to be super painful because I really love it

Pretty good, judging by early benchmarks and reviews. It does have a smaller batter than the 6, but it seems OS optimizations have lead to better battery life in some areas. There's also a new battery saver mode that you can activate. Really depends on your current level of usage. If you're on Safari for hours a day it might not be good enough though.

http://bgr.com/2015/09/29/iphone-6s-iphone-6-plus-battery-life/

PS. wasn't kidding about ignoring jaxapollo, dude who has a huge agenda against the Plus model for some reason and is totally fruit loops

That article can't be accurate, right? 6S battery life better than 6Plus? Can anyone corroborate this?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
That article can't be accurate, right? 6S battery life better than 6Plus? Can anyone corroborate this?
BGR mentions a phonearena test, which is the only one out of six I read to come to this conclusion.

I read on iLounge the + model also has better speakers.

Jake.

my 6s should hopefully arrive tomorrow and it's my first ever iphone after using android for years. is there like, a 'newbie' guide or something floating around for iOS?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I received my 6S+ this morning :)

Now waiting for my operator to transfer my account from my S5 sim card to my new nano card, it should take few hours.

mitheor

Are you using Google Photos to backup your gallery?

Is it working in your 6S/6S+?

I´ve just installed it and it has imported all of my pics, but it seems to be unable to upload any new pic. They are stuck showing the uploading mark :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Are you using Google Photos to backup your gallery?

Is it working in your 6S/6S+?

I´ve just installed it and it has imported all of my pics, but it seems to be unable to upload any new pic. They are stuck showing the uploading mark :(

Do you have Google Drive installed? A while ago, that started handling the auto-backups for me instead of Google+ / photos app.

Was pretty inconsistent anyway so I mostly use Flickr's auto backup now.

big_z

Look out for the WiFi assist setting if you're on a data plan... Ouch!

just checked and mine had used 1.2GB. turned it off immediately. I have a feeling some Canadians are going to be very excited when they see their bills.

Both S models are slightly worse for battery. I have a 6 and 6s and it was something I noticed fairly quickly. Probably not a deal breaker for many but it might be for me. Considering sticking with the 6 and returning the S.

That test doesn't reflect any type of real world usage. Kind of a dick move on their part and spreads misinformation.

mitheor

Do you have Google Drive installed? A while ago, that started handling the auto-backups for me instead of Google+ / photos app.

Was pretty inconsistent anyway so I mostly use Flickr's auto backup now.

No, i´m not using Drive :| Thanks anyway.

Ninja Dom

Uh so my iPhone 6S just randomly shut off and is completely unresponsive. Holding power doesnt work. Home button doesnt work. Screen is just black. Was at 90% charge before this happened. WTF?

Anyone ever had this happen to them?

edit: Had to hold power and home button together for like 20 seconds to get it to restart. WTF. That was weird.

Drama

I got up and went for a piss around 4am ish. I'm staying over at my girlfriends house so I used my 6S as a torch. Everything was fine. Went back to bed, put the 6S back on charge.

I wake up later this morning and the phone is off. Press Home button - nothing. Press Power button - nothing. I also had to hold the Home and Power together for a while to get the phone to turn on.

Everything seems fine after turning on though. It turned on with 100% battery so can't be a battery issue. Just as well it's my day off today and I had no alarms set.

Rootbeer

Banned
The only problem with the new TouchID is that it's almost too good.
"Wait, did I just unlock my phone with my fingerprint or is this thing lying to me! It's instant!"

*tries another finger*

"Oh, yup, everything checks out!"

Yeah, it's sometimes shocking when technology works the way it should: flawlessly and with no obvious problems such as annoying delays.

Erebus

Drama

I got up and went for a piss around 4am ish. I'm staying over at my girlfriends house so I used my 6S as a torch. Everything was fine. Went back to bed, put the 6S back on charge.

I wake up later this morning and the phone is off. Press Home button - nothing. Press Power button - nothing. I also had to hold the Home and Power together for a while to get the phone to turn on.

Everything seems fine after turning on though. It turned on with 100% battery so can't be a battery issue. Just as well it's my day off today and I had no alarms set.
I don't like this. It has never happened to my 6. Could it be an underlying hardware problem?

Ninja Dom

I don't like this. It has never happened to my 6. Could it be an underlying hardware problem?

I bought the iPhone 3GS at launch and the first unit I had turned itself off every two or three hours. Just pressing the power button would turn the phone back on (rather than Home + Power button). That was diagnosed as a faulty unit and I got it changed.

This has happened once with the 6S. Had it 5 days now. Will definitely keep an eye on it but I'm not too nervous.

Both S models are slightly worse for battery. I have a 6 and 6s and it was something I noticed fairly quickly. Probably not a deal breaker for many but it might be for me. Considering sticking with the 6 and returning the S.

While worse battery life on the 6S Plus is a minor annoyance, I would be pissed if I had a normal 6S.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Force touching on my iPad Air 2 does nothing. Nothing!!!

same problem. frustrating as hell. I was apathetic about Force Touch during the event and up to launch. It's now instinctively how I tap on links... damn it. It's TouchID all over again......

6S+ cons:
too large to use with one hand
too large to use 3D Touch
UI framerate drops, poor game performance
cannot be used without a case
no landscape app support
annoying rotating home screen you can't turn off

6S con: no OIS

I see we're back at this again. I use my 6s+ one handed 95% of the time. I'm constantly using 3D Touch one handed including the app switcher. I haven't seen a single frame rate drop and games run better than any iOS device I've ever used. Used my 6+ without a case for a year without a single drop or scratch on it. Pocket Casts and Twitter have landscape support. It does have an annoying rotating home screen, so you got 1/6 right.

Fantastic. Every bit as good as the 6+ battery. Hasn't run out on me yet.

Good to hear the 6s has fantastic battery. I went to bed last night with my 6s+ battery at 52% after 8 hours of use and 14 hours of standby including 3 hours where I had no cell coverage and it was searching for a signal. The 6s+ has a pretty beast battery.

6S+ cons:
no landscape app support

maybe people don't want to use it one handed? i always use both hands.

pretty sure you could use it. i dont see any reason why you couldn't physically push a little harder on the screen when using it, right?

cant say anything about that.

why can't it be used without a case? does the phone not turn on or does it slip out your hands!?

Servbot24

Banned
EFxpEMm.png
At the end of my first full charge. That's with 50% brightness, Bluetooth on, Location Services on, Hey Siri, Background Refresh on. Regular 6s.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Fantastic. Every bit as good as the 6+ battery. Hasn't run out on me yet.

Haha! Sure buddy.

The 6s is nowhere near the 6+ Or 6s+ in battery life.

You are the worst commenter in this thread. It's fanboy-ception. Not only are you an Apple fanboy, but you are an even crazier small Apple phone fanboy.

Quit making stuff up. Many people here are looking for actual facts to help them make a decision and your commentary is mudding the waters quite a bit since you speak your opinions as fact.

Servbot24

Banned
Haha! Sure buddy.

The 6s is nowhere near the 6+ Or 6s+ in battery life.

You are the worst commenter in this thread. It's fanboy-ception. Not only are you an Apple fanboy, but you are an even crazier small Apple phone fanboy.

Quit making stuff up. Many people here are looking for actual facts to help them make a decision and your commentary is mudding the waters quite a bit since you speak your opinions as fact.

Dear lord.

Mine ran out for the first time this morning. After nearly 3 full days. Sorry if it upsets you that other people are happy with their purchase.

ZeroX03

Banned
Dear lord.

Mine ran out for the first time this morning. After nearly 3 full days. Sorry if it upsets you that other people are happy with their purchase.

It's not that jaxapollo is happy with their purchase, it's that they're constantly bullshitting to push their preference. It's not hard to see.

Doosi

Banned
I love my 6s+ (coming from a 5s). I got used to the size pretty quick and I have small hands. I am glad no crazy person convinced me to get the regular 6s instead.

ido

Anybody have a quick list of things they use Force Touch for?

I honestly never use it. I don't even know where to use it, for that matter. I mainly got the upgrade because of the RAM, but I would like to join the Force Touch fan club.

Any quick links or tips on where it's best used?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Dear lord.

My wife loves her 6S and has no complaints about the battery. Just because the 6+ and 6S+ have factually better battery life doesn't mean the 6 or 6S are a bad choice.

My issue is with Juxapollo saying inaccurate things as if they were fact because he has some personal agenda against the + models and anybody who buys them.

mitheor

Anybody have a quick list of things they use Force Touch for?

I honestly never use it. I don't even know where to use it, for that matter. I mainly got the upgrade because of the RAM, but I would like to join the Force Touch fan club.

Any quick links or tips on where it's best used?

- Force touch in the keyboard to move the cursor (must)
- Force touch @Maps to mark my location
- Foce touch @Camera to selfie / slowMo

ido

- Force touch in the keyboard to move the cursor (must)
- Force touch @Maps to mark my location
- Foce touch @Camera to selfie / slowMo

Thanks. I'm starting to force touch all of the apps now. I'm coming around.

Question though. I force touch my messaging app and it comes up with a list of names... but they are just random. They aren't my last 3 texts, or anything. It's just text three random contacts and a "new message" option. Is there a way to set this to show your latest 3 texts instead?

Maximus.

6S+ cons:
no landscape app support

You can use it with one hand, though not as easily as the 6S. 3D Touch is fine on it. UI does have some hitches, but 6S does too. You can use the phone without a case, but a case does help with grip if you're worried. Landscape apps are not common and the rotating screen thing hasn't been a big issue for me.

They both are legit options, just depends what you want. I had the 6 for a year and loved it. Using a 6S plus now, the only major con is that it's heavier. I got used to the size fairly fast.

Andodalf

Banned
You can use it with one hand, though not as easily as the 6S.
QUOTE]

this is simply untrue. I have what I call "baby hands" and I can hardly use a 5 inch phone with one hand, and have to use two for many things. I would have to use two hands for almost anything on a larger screen. The way you might uncomfortably one hand a plus is how I deal with 5 inch phones.

Enco

The only pros for the normal S are that it's easier to hold and is slightly smoother in some animations. That's it.

Nephtis

So I feel like I just cheated.

I noticed that there was a 128GB 6S+ model for T-Mobile on the apple site. I have Verizon.

I called Apple and asked if I could make the reservation for the phone even though I don't want to be on T-Mobile, and I have a Verizon account. The person on the phone said to put the reservation in and show up there and tell them about it and see if they'll let me activate it with Verizon, since they should all work the same.

I am probably screwing someone else out of a reservation and they may have T-Mo. :(

xsarien

daedsiluap
The only pros for the normal S are that it's easier to hold and is slightly smoother in some animations. That's it.

That seems like a big thing to consider (so to speak).

I have the 6S. I honestly can't imagine anything bigger being that practical as a pocketable communications device.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Wait, the 6S+ still has trouble with some animations?

Not that I have noticed.

During the first day or so both my 6s+ and my wife's 6s saw mini freezes. I am assuming this is related to something called indexing.

Since then both out devices have been buttery smooth.

Top Bottom