• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

giga

No, but I guess it might as well be, since I just swapped out a 16 GB 4S for this. My 16 GB 4S at least showed 13GB available. This is insane.
iOS uses base 2 to calculate storage. Convert 128 billion bytes to GB in base 2 and you'll get 119 GB. iOS reports 114GB capacity because the rest is the OS.

if i go to apple's site and try to buy one at full price they still force me to set up an account with a carrier. there's no option to just buy the phone and have it shipped without establishing a wireless account or tying it to an existing wireless account...

That's for activation reasons. In-store you can buy a phone full price without activating, but online requires an account

If you want to order online though, T-Mobile is full price unlocked without needing an account. That's what I did

Shenmue

Banned
6S+ cons:
too large to use with one hand
too large to use 3D Touch
UI framerate drops, poor game performance
cannot be used without a case
no landscape app support
annoying rotating home screen you can't turn off

6S con: no OIS
it's almost too good

I think you forgot one so I added it for you.

So I feel like I just cheated.

I noticed that there was a 128GB 6S+ model for T-Mobile on the apple site. I have Verizon.

I called Apple and asked if I could make the reservation for the phone even though I don't want to be on T-Mobile, and I have a Verizon account. The person on the phone said to put the reservation in and show up there and tell them about it and see if they'll let me activate it with Verizon, since they should all work the same.

I am probably screwing someone else out of a reservation and they may have T-Mo. :(

I wouldn't feel too guilty. I think most people who have T-Mobile are likely buying it directly from the carrier since it's almost $200 cheaper.

Woot!

Z2CTAMq.jpg

So now I've got a massive head start on my 6S installments!

Namikaze

I see we're back at this again. I use my 6s+ one handed 95% of the time. I'm constantly using 3D Touch one handed including the app switcher. I haven't seen a single frame rate drop and games run better than any iOS device I've ever used. Used my 6+ without a case for a year without a single drop or scratch on it. Pocket Casts and Twitter have landscape support. It does have an annoying rotating home screen, so you got 1/6 right.

He wasn't even 1/6th right though. You can turn off the rotating home screen by going into settings, selecting Display and Brightness, View, and then "Zoomed" mode.

Iolo

That's for activation reasons. In-store you can buy a phone full price without activating, but online requires an account

If you want to order online though, T-Mobile is full price unlocked without needing an account. That's what I did

I bought a phone from Apple at full price as an upgrade for a pre-existing AT&T account, and Apple somehow decided to create an entirely new phone plan for me, as if in any universe it makes sense to have my wife and I on two different individual mobile share value plans. There are clearly glitches in this process.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Shit.

Pin prick sized light bleed flaw in the upper left corner of my new 6S+. I could live with it, but it's sure to kill resale value.

Don't like my chances for replacement at Apple Store this weekend...

Shenmue

Banned
Is anyone here using a 3rd party keyboard?

I'm experience a bug and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

Say I'm typing a text message, if I then switch to another app or the phone turns off, when I go back to it it goes back to the Apple default keyboard.

Can I just say I'm loving my 6S Plus? Works great(aside from when I try to click on a topic on GAF and it doesn't register the tap sometimes), looks awesome, and pairing it with Apple Music is really nice. All I have to do is say "Hey Siri, play..." and say whatever artist I want to play. Also, the speaker is way better then I thought it would be.

I still don't know nearly as much about it or all the features as I'd like, but I'm loving it so far.

Pachimari

What is the latest official firmware version (not beta) for iPhone? Is it 8.4? And can that be jailbroken?

[edit]
Never mind. I found out in iTunes.

Kito

I want to an Apple Store to trade in my 5S to get 6S, and the guy said I need photo ID to trade in. Since when do you need photo ID to trade in? I traded my 5 last year without any of this bullshit.

Bloodrage

Banned
6S+ cons:
too large to use with one hand
too large to use 3D Touch
UI framerate drops, poor game performance
cannot be used without a case
no landscape app support
annoying rotating home screen you can't turn off

6S con: no OIS
I just got my 6S+, so I guess I'll bite:

1. In no way is the size of this thing a con, and I'm coming off a 4S. Unless, of course, you have very small hands, in which case, I'm not sure why you'd go for a 6S+ and set yourself up for a "con."

2. Works fine.

3. Horseshit. Been using my 6S+ for the last couple hours and haven't noticed this at all. Speedy like a motherfucker. Looks like you're struggling adapting to a larger display. You're wrong about the games too. They're running flawlessly. No weird performance issues in sight.

4. What does this even mean? I have a leather case that I took off. I'm using the phone naked.

5. Wouldn't that depend on what app you're using?

6. ??? Turn on Portrait Orientation Lock. Mine's not rotating.

I don't know where the fuck you pulled this post out of, but I'm gonna guess your ass.

Serick

Married Member
Been using my 6S + for 5 days now. Loving the size and iOS9. Left android and I don't think ill ever look back.

The only con I can think of is having to buy new USB cables, but I got a bunch on Amazon for a decent price.

Edit: Oh, and I can easily use it one handed.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I want to an Apple Store to trade in my 5S to get 6S, and the guy said I need photo ID to trade in. Since when do you need photo ID to trade in? I traded my 5 last year without any of this bullshit.

Uh, is a photo ID really that hard to come by? If you need one to trade in video games why wouldn't you need one to trade in an expensive electronic device?

They likely put it on record to trace the 5S if it comes up as stolen.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Words can't convey how good it feels to have that fast/smooth computing in your hands.

6S+ is even better than the hype that got me. Coming from a 5S then S5, it's a quantic jump.
I'm in love with this technology :)

He wasn't even 1/6th right though. You can turn off the rotating home screen by going into settings, selecting Display and Brightness, View, and then "Zoomed" mode.

That's not really a good solution. I mean it technically works, but have to screw with the look of the home screen to accomplish it is a bit ridiculous in my opinion anyway as I hate the look of zoomed.

Bloodrage

Banned
That's not really a good solution. I mean it technically works, but have to screw with the look of the home screen to accomplish it is a bit ridiculous in my opinion anyway as I hate the look of zoomed.
The home screen only rotates for me when POL is off. I'm not on zoomed. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.

The home screen only rotates for me when POL is off. I'm not on zoomed. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.

Back in iOS 8.0, on the iPhone 6 Plus, the Home Screen would rotate on all orientations like the iPad. So if you didn't have the portrait orientation lock on, and you put your phone upside down, the screen rotate to compensate. It was kinda annoying.

Right, that's the point. It's supposed to rotate, but people are looking for a setting where you can lock the home screen into portrait while still allowing apps to use landscape which isn't currently a toggle anywhere. If you us POL then nothing can rotate to landscape including apps. If you use zoomed then the home screen won't rotate, but then it makes app icons and text bigger than I think it should be.

Bloodrage

Banned
^ I misunderstood. I see now. It is annoying.

And yes, zoomed made me feel claustrophobic from the preview images alone. Looks bad, man.

Reckoner

Can I use any bluetooth headphones on the iPhone? Also, is the lack of dual front facing speakers a turn off or a con for any of you?

I bought a phone from Apple at full price as an upgrade for a pre-existing AT&T account, and Apple somehow decided to create an entirely new phone plan for me, as if in any universe it makes sense to have my wife and I on two different individual mobile share value plans. There are clearly glitches in this process.

I mean, that's not a glitch, that employee just messed up

Shun

Wow wtf Apple, why did you remove Don't Group By Album Artist under Music Settings?

My entire library is unorganised now compared to iOS 8 and on my Mac for iTunes.

Fix this please...

Vyer

Can I use any bluetooth headphones on the iPhone? Also, is the lack of dual front facing speakers a turn off or a con for any of you?

I understand the appeal of front facing, but honestly I think the sound is pretty good, when I'm holding the phone landscape it's kind of amplified anyway. honestly I use my tablet or use headphones (or both) mostly, especially when I want to kick back and watch a movie for example. Using just the phone speakers hasn't usually been my first choice regardless

Reckoner

I understand the appeal of front facing, but honestly I think the sound is pretty good, when I'm holding the phone landscape it's kind of amplified anyway. honestly I use my tablet or use headphones (or both) mostly, especially when I want to kick back and watch a movie for example. Using just the phone speakers hasn't usually been my first choice regardless

The thing is that I don't have a tablet and I used my latest phone also as a media consumption device. Now that I'm thinking on getting the 6s+ I'm starting to get worried about the lack of it. It was a joy to watch series, Youtube, Twitch, etc. with those front facing speakers.

Shun

Wow wtf Apple, why did you remove Don't Group By Album Artist under Music Settings?

My entire library is unorganised now compared to iOS 8 and on my Mac for iTunes.

Fix this please...

Nevermind, anyone having issues with your Music library on iOS, just go on iTunes and sort by Album Artist, then delete all the Album Artist names.

The Artists will still be the same and fine, your music will be back as it used to be.

Vyer

The thing is that I don't have a tablet and I used my latest phone also as a media consumption device. Now that I'm thinking on getting the 6s+ I'm starting to get worried about the lack of it. It was a joy to watch series, Youtube, Twitch, etc. with those front facing speakers.

Yeah, understandable. Prob one of those things where you'll have to try it out and see if it works for you. I will say I haven't had issues hearing anything I've watched, and this is on the smaller 6S.

Yeah, understandable. Prob one of those things where you'll have to try it out and see if it works for you. I will say I haven't had issues hearing anything I've watched, and this is on the smaller 6S.

the 6s is louder than my laptop.....my laptop is a 5 year old vaio, but still

StillEdge

I can't really find anything on this problem I'm having maybe I'm not using the right keywords but I did the iPhone upgrade loan thing in store last week and it the first 3 month deposit still hasn't dropped off. Is it not a deposit and I actually just did the first 3 payments? The Apple guy said I would be refunded it.

I can't really find anything on this problem I'm having maybe I'm not using the right keywords but I did the iPhone upgrade loan thing in store last week and it the first 3 month deposit still hasn't dropped off. Is it not a deposit and I actually just did the first 3 payments? The Apple guy said I would be refunded it.

It's not a deposit and it definitely should drop off. The only payment they take on the first day is the first month and the tax on the full price

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, the 6S+ still has trouble with some animations?

I did see some on the initial set up while it was still indexing everything after the iCloud restore, but I haven't seen any hitching to speak of as of day 2. I'm typically really sensitive to frame drops, so I'd notice.

Top Bottom