• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Pachimari

Dude, I'm not even on iOS9. And this thread is the new iPhone thread. I don't even know what you're trying to tell me. That it was well known for some, sure. I'm still surprised that it seems to perform a little worse than the LG G3. But I'll give it a few days.

pbsapeer

Banned
Three is great value and of course, unlimited data can't be beaten. Reception is a bit weak deep inside buildings though.

Very correct. In my ground floor flat I don't get a signal much. Thank goodness the 3-intouch app is decent.
When I was on O2 It wouldn't work properly. Probably better now I guess.
Mrs got her 6s yesterday in rose gold. Super jealous it's a lovely phone

There is no 4G in the sense of what you think it is.

HSPA+ is inferior to LTE is inferior LTE Advanced, but even HSPA+ is branded as 4G, and it is a lot faster than even most people's mid-tier DSL, reading like half the average cable internet speeds with most users.

The first "4G" phone was the 4S; it supported HSPA+.

What's confusing is that in Europe we just called HSPA 3G and LTE 4G.

Where's in the US you called HSPA 4G and then call LTE, LTE.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there a gesture to launch the multitasker in landscape like there is in portrait? I really don't like double clicking the home button.

Unfortunately, landscape doesn't do the 3D Touch multitasking at all.

Yeah I figured as much, seems odd. I hope they add it someday as I spend 90% of my time in landscape.

What about on the 6s+? Surely Apple at least made landscape 3D touch multitasking work on that?

Vyer

Man, I'm not impressed with my new iPhone 6. It have lagged and crashed multiple times in Safari and Chrome just loading GAF threads. It almost feels less smooth than the LG G3 I had before it.

And I'm almost getting cramps because it isn't that wide and I got rather large hands. But I'll get used to it for sure. :)

If you're talking actual app crashing, like dumping to the home screen or restarting, I didn't see that on my 6 (or still don't, as my wife has it now). If you're talking about the tab refreshing or 'encountering a problem' and reloading then yeah that I did see. I would also turn off embedded video in mobile gaf and maybe hiding gifs as some threads are really bogged down with them.

Can't speak on Chrome as Mobile chrome has usually sucked in my experience on any device so I generally avoid it.

Man, I'm not impressed with my new iPhone 6. It have lagged and crashed multiple times in Safari and Chrome just loading GAF threads. It almost feels less smooth than the LG G3 I had before it.

And I'm almost getting cramps because it isn't that wide and I got rather large hands. But I'll get used to it for sure. :)

It sounds like the iPhone 6 you bought came with iOS 8 or 8.1, god that version was a buggy mess. At the time, I had the 6 Plus and the girlfriend had the 6, and we both experienced random app crashing and restarts, it was so fucking annoying. It got better once iOS 8.4 rolled around, a lot of bugs got ironed out and the only thing that bothered me was the lack of RAM on the 6 Plus and some stuttering here and there. Girlfriend has no complaints now on her 6, except she now wants the 6s. 😁

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
Has Google EVER updated an iOS app with functionality that makes it superior to the android version of the same app? There's your answer.

I would be very, very surprised they would include such functionality at this stage. Microsoft I could see, but not Google.

Actually yes. Quite regularly the iOS versions of Google's apps get updates and features first, and arguably are higher quality than some of their Android counterparts. See: Maps, Chrome & Hangouts point revisions in the past few months.

kris.

Banned
I couldn't find an Apple OT for this, so I guess I'll ask this here. I'm selling my Nexus 7 and taking the funds from that to buy a used iPad. Are iPad 4s still any good, or should I fork over the extra ~$70 to get an Air?

Pls don't yell at me if this is the wrong place to ask thanks guys :3

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I couldn't find an Apple OT for this, so I guess I'll ask this here. I'm selling my Nexus 7 and taking the funds from that to buy a used iPad. Are iPad 4s still any good, or should I fork over the extra ~$70 to get an Air?

If you can push a bit for the Air, that's definitely worth going for.

Sapiens

Go for the air. I have an air and a 4 and there's definitely a dividing line there. The 4 is starting to get slow while the air still feels "new" so to speak.

I don't care what the 6S is. I know it got double the RAM and all that, but iPhone 6 were still a beast a year ago and should probably have held up to phones like LG G3.

I'm just happy that I have 64gb of space now and a good battery.
LG G3 was no slouch, so that comparison was tough for the 6. In fact last year I tried both phones and went with G3. I'm now on a 6s and feel like they hit the sweetspots in specs, camera upgrades, and 3D touch to make it an easy switch.

So I call the specific number Verizon calls me and...

they had no idea what was going on.

"Yeah it seems like you were already approved on the 25th.... there's no hold on your account"

"uhh"

*asks me a bunch of security questions that already happened*

"yeah you should be able to do it... like in 15 minutes maybe"

goddamnit verizon.

GODDAMNIT I JUST WANT MY IPHONE AND TO NOT STEP FOOT IN THE APPLE STORE WHERE MY EX GIRLFRIEND WORKS JESUS

I'm still not getting automatic backups overnight, and have to force manual iCloud backups. Anyone else having this issue? Hoping 9.0.2 fixes this.

It doesn't. I'm having the same issue

Hell, my sister is having an issue where iCloud thinks her last backup was 0kb (so she doesn't have one) and every time she goes to back up it says she's run out of iCloud space. Something's going on with iCloud backups these days

Anyone who got a 6S+ want to share their thoughts so far? How is performance/battery life?

What are the most common issues so far both software/hardware wise?

Also, if your old phone was something the same size as a Nexus 5 (4.95", 445ppi, 70.8% screen/body ratio) then how does it feel moving to the 6S+?

Hell, my sister is having an issue where iCloud thinks her last backup was 0kb (so she doesn't have one) and every time she goes to back up it says she's run out of iCloud space. Something's going on with iCloud backups these days

What really irks me, is it's specifically the 6s that has this issue. My 1st-gen Air? No problem. My 6? No issue. I'm totally stumped. There's no way it's a hardware issue with the 6s, right? It's gotta be a software thing.

What really irks me, is it's specifically the 6s that has this issue. My 1st-gen Air? No problem. My 6? No issue. I'm totally stumped. There's no way it's a hardware issue with the 6s, right? It's gotta be a software thing.

Actually it's not working for me on my Air 2 either :/ I'm going to go a couple days without manually backing up and hopefully they kick into gear. And also nothing happens to them

Anyone who got a 6S+ want to share their thoughts so far? How is performance/battery life?

What are the most common issues so far both software/hardware wise?

Also, if your old phone was something the same size as a Nexus 5 (4.95", 445ppi, 70.8% screen/body ratio) then how does it feel moving to the 6S+?

It's snappy, the display looks amazing. I came from a smaller phone (5S) so the size change takes some adjusting, particularly when trying to text with one hand, etc. But the added size feels luxurious, so I'm not complaining about the functional aspects as much.

I do notice some animation hitches here and there, but they're only really noticeable if I'm actively looking for them.

Basically hardware is ace, software is fast and smooth in spite of the occasional mini hiccup. Doesn't affect performance overall though. And 3D Touch is pretty amazing.

This happened to my on my 6 last week, right after I upgraded to the 50GB iCloud plan. But once it did an overnight backup eveything was fine...

P44

Tried 3D Touch and was let down. There's just one too many graduations, you need to press a little too hard to get to something actually useful. At that point I'd rather just press a button on the screen instead.

Tried 3D Touch and was let down. There's just one too many graduations, you need to press a little too hard to get to something actually useful. At that point I'd rather just press a button on the screen instead.
Settings > Accessibility > 3D Touch > Light Pressure

Rodin

What are you talking about. My 6 is even faster than d1 with iOS9 and i did the OTA update, also tests around the internet show a pretty small bump in speed for daily use when going from 6 to 6S and that's pretty normal tbh. The phone is still a beast, G3 was a laggy mess according to pretty much anyone who owns the device, i don't know if that chaged now but it used to have big problems with the ui. Maybe try to add Crystal to Safari, then let me know if you still see any lag on the i6 while browsing the web.

People who need a new phone should obviously look at the 6S, but if you already own the iPhone 6 you have a pretty fucking great phone and that won't change anytime soon.

Anion

Put a Zagg glass screen protector on my 6S and now force touch is somehow easier lol. I'm guessing the screen protector kinda increases the leverage on pressing down on a certain spot.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

did she delete that 0KB backup? If not that is likely what's causing her problem. Go into iCloud/backup storage management and delete the 0KB file.

The phone is still a beast, G3 was a laggy mess according to pretty much anyone who owns the device, i don't know if that chaged now but it used to have big problems in the ui.
I can confirm this for the G3, UI was an annoyance and the overheating was almost a hazard to health (to the point I would wake up from the heat when I fell asleep next to it).

AdanVC

Man I need to stay away of this thread. I'm getting more and more tempted to upgrade from my current iPhone 6 just for the new camera alone. I need dem selfies to be as crisp as possible hah.

HUELEN10

Man I need to stay away of this thread. I'm getting more and more tempted to upgrade from my current iPhone 6 just for the new camera alone. I need dem selfies to be as crisp as possible hah.

Don't.

Us "tick"s gotta stick together! Don't you want to pimp out the 10th gen iPhone with me next year? Won't it feel mind blowingly fresh?

Don't join the "tock" side!

:p

Tweetbot 4 just launched as a universal app for iPhone and iPad. Quick, someone tell juxapollo that it supports the landscape view on the 6+ and 6s+. :)

HUELEN10

Tweetbot 4 just launched as a universal app for iPhone and iPad. Quick, someone tell juxapollo that it supports the landscape view on the 6+ and 6s+. :)

No...

NO

I JUST bought Twitterific because it is universal and only days ago made my first twit.

Fuck....

:(

Tweet bot is the best iOS Twitter client, right?

No...

NO

I JUST bought Twitterific because it is universal and only days ago made my first twit.

Fuck....

:(

Tweet bot is the best iOS Twitter client, right?

Tweetbot has been my favorite. So much so that I've bout hit on all of my devices and in some cases multiple times because they've had a few paid upgrades.

4.0 got these features. It's a universal app now. Quick reply from notifications, landscape on 6+ and 6s+, slide over and true split screen multitasking on iPad. Also redesigned profile pages and a neat new activity page that shows how many retweets etc you've had. It's on sale for $4.99 right now and it's the app I'd recommend for Twitter.

Miyahon

Not having any iCloud backup issues since the GM of iOS 9 but have people tried signing out of iCloud and signing back into their account? That usually fixes other weird issues with iCloud. If not then they may need to do a manual backup and restore of their iPhone on a computer as it could be something software related causing the issue.

HUELEN10

Tweetbot has been my favorite. So much so that I've bout hit on all of my devices and in some cases multiple times because they've had a few paid upgrades.

4.0 got these features. It's a universal app now. Quick reply from notifications, landscape on 6+ and 6s+, slide over and true split screen multitasking on iPad. Also redesigned profile pages and a neat new activity page that shows how many retweets etc you've had. It's on sale for $4.99 right now and it's the app I'd recommend for Twitter.

Quick replay pull down like iMessages? Fuck it, bought.

Top Bottom