• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Kintaco

Anyone who got a 6S+ want to share their thoughts so far? How is performance/battery life?

What are the most common issues so far both software/hardware wise?

Also, if your old phone was something the same size as a Nexus 5 (4.95", 445ppi, 70.8% screen/body ratio) then how does it feel moving to the 6S+?
I came from the Nexus 5 and I love the bigger size of the 6S Plus. Performance has been good, much better than the 6 Plus I had for a couple of weeks. The battery life is awesome compared to the Nexus 5, with fairly heavy use I still have plenty of juice. I could probably go a couple days between charges, with the Nexus 5 and fairly light use I wouldn't last a day. I miss Android but let's see what jail breaking brings.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tried this new Tweetbot thing. Not a huge fan.

Why do no iOS Twitter apps allow for text selection? Am I really the only one who wants the ability to highlight, look up, copy, and paste individual words or bunches of words?

Synless

I had this young woman I work with today chime in about my iPhone 6s purchase stating it was the same phone as last years (according to a att manager she talked to) and how I was dumb for buying it instead of a Note 5. I tried to correct her about the differences and she literally wouldn't hear it stating her boyfriends aunt is the lead designer for Siri and she uses a Note 5 instead of an iPhone... This was her entire basis to try and discredit me. I have never been in such a stupid argument my whole life. I felt the need to share this here for you all to marvel at.

I had this young woman I work with today chime in about my iPhone 6s purchase stating it was the same phone as last years (according to a att manager she talked to) and how I was dumb for buying it instead of a Note 5. I tried to correct her about the differences and she literally wouldn't hear it stating her boyfriends aunt is the lead designer for Siri and she uses a Note 5 instead of an iPhone... This was her entire basis to try and discredit me. I have never been in such a stupid argument my whole life. I felt the need to share this here for you all to marvel at.

She lied. Her boyfriend's aunt really works at Nintendo

Ninja Dom

How long were you arguing with her? And if her boyfriend's aunt is the lead designer for Siri then why isn't she showing her support? LOL!

Synless

My argument lasted just a few minutes. I sent her benchmark sites and told her to educate her ignorant self and she looked at me and said... And I quote "you believe everything you read"? There was nothing else for me to really say past that.

Ninja Dom

My argument lasted just a few minutes. I sent her benchmark sites and told her to educate her ignorant self and she looked at me and said... And I quote "you believe everything you read"? There was nothing else for me to really say past that.

The jealousy was strong with her.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Is this the modern equivalent of "my uncle works for Nintendo"?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just wanted to share Tweetbot 4 is out, finally adding iPad support & landscape view for 6+ owners :)

Edit: I'm so late.

Shenmue

Banned
Just wanted to share Tweetbot 4 is out, finally adding iPad support & landscape view for 6+ owners :)

Edit: I'm so late.

Never used tweetbot but I know a lot of people do. What does it do better than just the regular, old, official twitter app?

This. It's quite expensive so it needs to amaze. Does it let me switch accounts easily?

It's two taps at most to change accounts. If you are in the timeline view it's one tap to the accounts screen and one tap on whatever account you want to open.

It also offers basically everything that you can do in iOS 9. Quick reply directly from notifications, SafariViewController, slide over and split screen multitasking on iPad, landscape support on the 6+ and 6s+. Doesn't seem to support spotlight search (that I can tell at least) and 3D Touch isn't there yet but is supposed to be coming in the next update.

So Apple cancelled my iPhone order because i transferred my line from my personal account to my company account after my personal contract expired. The day of expiration I ordered the iPhone.

If I order using a family members phone # on apple.com, will I be able to order a full price phone, and he/she will be able to order a second one at a later date?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just wanted to let everyone know that T-Mobile (and other customers I'm sure) was compromised via Experian. If you had a credit check with T-Mobile between September 1, 2013 and September 16, 2015, you need to monitor your information. Name/DOB/address/SSN/Drivers license were compromised, but no banking information was.

More details here: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-acquisition-of-a-clients-data-300152926.html

These days everything is compromised so often I think we all need credit monitoring. I just wish all these credit monitoring places would centralize. Basically get 1 year at one place for a breach and 2 years at another for the next breach.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just wanted to let everyone know that T-Mobile (and other customers I'm sure) was compromised via Experian. If you had a credit check with T-Mobile between September 1, 2013 and September 16, 2015, you need to monitor your information. Name/DOB/address/SSN/Drivers license were compromised, but no banking information was.

More details here: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-acquisition-of-a-clients-data-300152926.html

I am seeing different stuff about whether or not people in California are affected. Apparently Tmobile may use Transunion for Californians.

Vyer

what's her GAF name

My best friends Aunt's step brother from an adoption agency in Kenya works as a janitor at Nintendo. Their next system is a beast.

when I faced a similar situation i 3D touched the camera app showed the selfie button

minds were blown

Called the Verizon number this morning.

Dude was confused cause I didn't have a hold on my account but said it should resolve itself in "15 minutes"

Fast forward to 7:30PM.

At the Apple store, again.

Got the same fucking block. AGAIN.

I go to the Verizon store. They call someone. Again. Hold is lifted, again.

I tell them. " you know if I have to go back to the Verizon store it's so I can cancel my account right"

Sure enough.

Same. Fucking. Block.

Verizon can go fuck itself.

DedValve

Banned
Maaaan I am so ready to get one of these babys and mess with the 3D touch. I may even make a 3D touch game in swift. Just the idea of it excites me!

I haven't been on an apple phone in years, since the 3GS. I've been mostly windows phone then android throughout that time. I do have an iPad air so I am familiar with it but I do have some concerns that make or break it for me:

* Support like keyboards - on my ipad air I bought swyft or whatever for swyping and it works AWFUL on ipad. Sometimes it doesn't show up all the way (like half the keyboard appears on screen) other times the space bar is cut off, other times it does some crazy shit when I rotate landscape > portrait or vice versa. I'm hoping that doesn't happen on iphones. I love swyping.

* Music - I'm currently using google play music to digitally store my library and its amazing but the ipad version isn't too hot...its actually quite terrible. At the same time I would rather go for something "platform agnostic" so I'm not inherently tied to google or apple one way or the other. Is there anything like G play music where I can get my library digitally if I don't have space? Also one major grievance of mine is that on my phone Google Play Music app doesn't recognize songs on my phone, only songs downloaded via the app and other music apps don't recognize songs downloaded via Google PLay Music, only songs placed on the phone manually.

Also on the topic of music I guess I still gotta use itunes to sync huh =/

* battery life - I'm just looking for something that isn't pathetic here. I will admit that I plan on being a heavy user more and more.

Also protection. My phone finally cracked its screen today. It was completely avoidable and my fault but the rinky dinky case I had couldn't protect it from falling glass first into the cement. If I get an expensive as fuck iPhone I want it to survive the goddamn apocalypse. I am even willing to trade its sleekness and style for protection. Also if there are any decent battery cases I'd probably go for that. I found this battery case but I'm veeery skeptical about the extra space it can provide. Isn't iOS on lockdown by apple? How does something like this work and not get shut down by apple? I would absolutely get this in a heartbeat if true: http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-6-plus

I have an HTC One M8 currently with a cracked screen and a broken SD slot (thank god the SD card didn't break). I might go for a 128gb version if I where to get one.

Mortemis

Banned
For those talking about tweetbot, would you recommend it to someone that consumes more than tweets? I don't tweet much at all, but I'm always reading and watch more twitter videos/vines than I like to admit.

HUELEN10

Called the Verizon number this morning.

Dude was confused cause I didn't have a hold on my account but said it should resolve itself in "15 minutes"

Fast forward to 7:30PM.

At the Apple store, again.

Got the same fucking block. AGAIN.

I go to the Verizon store. They call someone. Again. Hold is lifted, again.

I tell them. " you know if I have to go back to the Verizon store it's so I can cancel my account right"

Sure enough.

Same. Fucking. Block.

Verizon can go fuck itself.
Okay, cancel, they can go fuck themselves; they don't deserve your business.
GhBCnSp.jpg

This man's got your back!

Ok gaf I have a dumb question.. I want to set up my 6 as a 'new phone' but for some select apps(whatsapp mostly) I'd like to transfer data (ideally I'd transfer pictures as well). Any easy way to do this?

NOPE!

and of course...

NOPE!
:( back up it is then. Thing I don't understand: my computer doesn't have apps anymore. So if I restore from backup, all apps will be gone (I think). What I don't get is, how do I get my app data back then? I see three options
A) Apple giving more fine grained control over app data ahah lol who am I kidding.
B) the backup will not restore app data if the app is not in iTunes already? (btw transfer purchases seems to only transfer music and podcasts but not apps, in spite of what the apple help page says).
C) the backup restores all app data even without app installed. That sounds very unlikely because it would effectively consume disk space that could not be reclaimed easily
D)???

What am I missing?

Edit: why does iexplorer3 claim to be iOS 9 ready in light of your post ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For those talking about tweetbot, would you recommend it to someone that consumes more than tweets? I don't tweet much at all, but I'm always reading and watch more twitter videos/vines than I like to admit.

I am like you, and I think it might even be worse.

I like to tap tweets on the official app and view the whole conversation (people's replies, etc.), but that doesn't seem to work in Tweetbot. In Tweetbot, you have to tap the tweet, then tap this small gear icon on the right, then select "view details" to get the same result as simply tapping the tweet in the official app.

It also seems to be completely impossible to do any kind of text selection in Tweetbot. Also, returning from an image to the feed takes a brief moment longer than the official app due to some unnecessary animation they added in.

I've been messing around with it, but I'm not seeing anything that makes it better than the official Twitter app for my personal uses, which don't include very much replying or retweeting.

I do like how it shows hashtags in a differently colored font, though.

I am like you, and I think it might even be worse.

I like to tap tweets on the official app and view the whole conversation (people's replies, etc.), but that doesn't seem to work in Tweetbot. In Tweetbot, you have to tap the tweet, then tap this small gear icon on the right, then select "view details" to get the same result as simply tapping the tweet in the official app.

It also seems to be completely impossible to do any kind of text selection in Tweetbot.

I've been messing around with it, but I'm not seeing anything that makes it better than the official Twitter app for my personal uses, which don't include very much replying or retweeting.

I do like how it shows hashtags in a differently colored font, though.

Swipe left on a tweet to get to the conversation view and swipe right on it to reply. Not sure about the type of text selection you are looking to do but if you long press on a tweet the share sheet will pop up and you can tap on the 'copy tweet' button and it will copy all the text from that tweet that you can paste where you want.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ok, so how do I back up the apps on iPhone now that iOS 9 doesn't allow copying from phone to a computer through iTunes? I have probably like 80GB of games and apps on this thing and when some day I want to switch to a new phone, is the expectation going to be that I just download everything again using iCloud backup? Because I tried that once and it sure didn't work well even when I only had 30GB or so apps. It was a total disaster in fact when most of the apps got stuck in some downloading limbo and never completed. So I had to reset it all and do the restore from the computer.

Or do I go through my download list on iTunes and download everything to the computer manually?

*edit* and another thing. I think ios9 prohibits app backups because apps are now thinned to each speciffic device. So if I restore backup and apps from the computer, I'll get all the Unthinned apps on the phone?

Top Bottom