• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Mortemis

Banned
I am like you, and I think it might even be worse.

I like to tap tweets on the official app and view the whole conversation (people's replies, etc.), but that doesn't seem to work in Tweetbot. In Tweetbot, you have to tap the tweet, then tap this small gear icon on the right, then select "view details" to get the same result as simply tapping the tweet in the official app.

It also seems to be completely impossible to do any kind of text selection in Tweetbot. Also, returning from an image to the feed takes a brief moment longer than the official app due to some unnecessary animation they added in.

I've been messing around with it, but I'm not seeing anything that makes it better than the official Twitter app for my personal uses, which don't include very much replying or retweeting.

I do like how it shows hashtags in a differently colored font, though.

Thanks for the input, honestly was thinking of getting it just to avoid ads but they're not too bad on Twitter. Everything else works fine for me so I think I'll just stick with the regular app.

Talon

Swipe left on a tweet to get to the conversation view and swipe right on it to reply. Not sure about the type of text selection you are looking to do but if you long press on a tweet the share sheet will pop up and you can tap on the 'copy tweet' button and it will copy all the text from that tweet that you can paste where you want.
^Above^

So obvious to use.

TxdoHawk

Any info on battery life impact with always-on Hey Siri? I want to use it, but I'm really loving the battery life I have now.

It should be fairly minimal, especially if you haven't turned off activity tracking, since listening for the trigger is handled by the M9 coprocessor.

If there's anyone who switched from Android to iPhone recently, why did you switch and what changes do you like and dislike?

I've gone back and forth twice now, initially with a long, long stint on Android lasting several phones. I heavily prefer Google philosophies and Google services, but iOS has a couple of features that I now practically depend on, where the Android equivalent either doesn't exist or is way behind the curve.

On the flipside though, some iOS design decisions drive me bonkers. Why, in 2015, can I not choose to download an app bigger than 100MB over my cellular connection?

Okay, cancel, they can go fuck themselves; they don't deserve your business.
GhBCnSp.jpg

This man's got your back!

He may have my back but he doesn't have any signal...

Dr. Kaos

Banned
My mini-review (upgrade from 5s):

I can't use my new 6S+ with a case on it. The phone is already too big for one-handed use (Im 5'11") and increasing the thickness or the width of it makes it much worse.

I too off my case and bought 1 year insurance
from worth ave. group
($70 after internet coupon covers accidental damage AND theft(!!!) ) so I don't give a damn if I drop it now, which I will no doubt do.

the speedy Touch ID is a revolution. I went from not having any locks on my phone, to using Touch ID and keeping my data safe, because it's actually faster than dragging my finger across the screen to unlock!!! That is huge.

the screen is easy on the eyes. it's some high quality stuff. Bigger really is better. My eyes are grateful and browsing webpages is much, much improved.

always-on Hey Siri works like ass. I can say it with the phone 12 inches from my face and it won't pick it up most of the time. A far cry from Amazon's Echo. This definitely needs improvement.

I'm looking forward to more apps using 3D touch and landscape mode (wtf are they waiting for? landscape mode has been available for a year already! I hate devs who don't keep phone rotation in mind...)

Verdict: Buy it if you don't have an iPhone 6. This phone is tight (and it better be for the $900 I dropped on it).

Nephtis

I took off my case and bought 1 year insurance
from worth ave. group
(covers accidental damage AND theft(!!!) ) so I don't give a damn if I drop it now, which I will no doubt do.

Damn, I just looked them up. They're even cheaper than Apple Care and cover so much more.

This is making me want to abandon the upgrade program. Well, not being able to find a goddamn phone in my whole state is making me want to abandon the program... lol

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Damn, I just looked them up. They're even cheaper than Apple Care and cover so much more.

This is making me want to abandon the upgrade program.

For people who always have $10k in their bank account (aka: almost every adult), selling your old phone on ebay/craigslist/swappa and paying $800 cash for the new hotness is just as advantageous as any upgrade program.

In the same vein, Straighttalk is the best plan for single-line heavy data users. 5GB of 20Mbps LTE and unlimited 3g after that for $45/month, no contract and you pick your network (att or tmo). T-mo is a no-brainer for the 6S because the 6S happens to be the first phone to support T-mo's awesome band 12 in the 700Mhz band!

Extended Range LTE service, which is Band 12 LTE. Using the low frequency 700MHz spectrum, Band 12 can travel farther and penetrate buildings better.

tl;dr: iphone 6s(+) + straighttalk (tmo mvno) + Band 12 LTE = Awesomeness.

So if I understand this right, new Verizon customers pretty much get the shaft on phone pricing?

I would have to outright purchase a 6S at retail price through them right? Are existing customers just grandfathered into subsidized contract prices?

Seems like it's a no brainer to just have my parents add a line instead and pay the $300....

Kronotech

I am utterly baffled by the lack of 6S+ that were sent out. On launch day I stopped by two At&t stores and was told they only received 2 of those phones in. One of the employees suggested that Apple was trying to create a demand for the phone... what? I want the phone, Apple, let me buy it. There's the demand.

Since launch, they haven't received any new +'s. Apple stores have been empty as well. I just want a phone. C'mon Apple. Help an Arizona brotha out.

Well, not being able to find a goddamn phone in my whole state is making me want to abandon the program... lol

Seriously. I'm in the Phoenix area but I keep checking Tucson too just in case. Are we the red headed step child for this release?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
For people who always have $10k in their bank account (aka: almost every adult), selling your old phone on ebay/craigslist/swappa and paying $800 cash for the new hotness is just as advantageous as any upgrade program.

In the same vein, Straighttalk is the best plan for single-line heavy data users. 5GB of 20Mbps LTE and unlimited 3g after that for $45/month, no contract and you pick your network (att or tmo). T-mo is a no-brainer for the 6S because the 6S happens to be the first phone to support T-mo's awesome band 12 in the 700Mhz band!

Pretty sure my $50 for unlimited no-throttling everything from T-Mobile post paid trumps a 5gb cap with straight talk.
Got in the 2 lines unlimited everything for $100 deal. It was only $70 when I was on a single line.

I am utterly baffled by the lack of 6S+ that were sent out. On launch day I stopped by two At&t stores and was told they only received 2 of those phones in. One of the employees suggested that Apple was trying to create a demand for the phone... what? I want the phone, Apple, let me buy it. There's the demand.

Since launch, they haven't received any new +'s. Apple stores have been empty as well. I just want a phone. C'mon Apple. Help an Arizona brotha out.

Seriously. I'm in the Phoenix area but I keep checking Tucson too just in case. Are we the red headed step child for this release?

I walked into T-mobile on Sunday and had the 128 6s+ on my doorstep the next day. I know... T-mobile but they had it for me. I am in north central Phoenix. I was told that almost no cell stores actually got 6s+ in stock in Phoenix. But who knows if that's true or not. Be patient it is worth the wait.

Oh and we need a Phoenix GAF meetup.

No 3D touch support yet? :(

Developers only found out about 3D Touch when the new phones were announced. This is whole new interface input; it will take time to figure out how best to integrate this into apps.

This. It's quite expensive so it needs to amaze. Does it let me switch accounts easily?

$5 is quite expensive for Tweetbot? It's one latte. It's one indie game you'll never even play. I use Tweetbot much more than most games. This is not a company with huge VC money behind them; it's three or four guys. 5 bucks is totally worth it for the great user experience compared to the official Twitter app.

Yeah, I've been very happy with the 6S on T-Mobile. The Band 12 is no joke. I just had a doctor's appointment and his office is in a skyscraper. I've always gotten horrible, low-signal-if-any 3G on ATT. When I was there this time, I was getting 3-4 bars of strong LTE on T-Mobile with the 6S. I was shocked.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
$5 is quite expensive for Tweetbot? It's one latte. It's one indie game you'll never even play. I use Tweetbot much more than most games. This is not a company with huge VC money behind them; it's three or four guys. 5 bucks is totally worth it for the great user experience compared to the official Twitter app.

It is relatively expensive for the App Store. And for going in blind on an app that effectively duplicates an existing free app, so you're paying for usability improvements that you can't experience until after you paid. I'd much rather have a free app that works for eg 7 days and then I can pay to upgrade.

It is relatively expensive for the App Store. And for going in blind on an app that effectively duplicates an existing free app, so you're paying for usability improvements that you can't experience until after you paid. I'd much rather have a free app that works for eg 7 days and then I can pay to upgrade.

It may be relatively expensive for the App Store, but that's just because the App Store is a gutter of freemium and adware junk, and because developers have been bullied into thinking they have to give away their apps at 99 cents to be competitive. That may be fine for big companies, but small companies have to put food on the table. No different than indie game developers. I'd prefer a free trial or demo as well, but Apple doesn't allow those unfortunately.

To answer your earlier question, you can switch accounts with two taps.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah I've noticed better signal with T-Mobile at some trouble spots around my job. Still can't get anything from the restroom though :p Sigh, if only i could read twitter on the toilet I'd be totally satisfied!

Maximus.

Been using the Apple silicone case for the past few days for my plus. I normally do not like cases, but this one provided great grip when holding the phone. It was annoying to pull in and out of my pocket though. After a few days, I have gotten used to the size and took off the case. I am now contemplating going case less, as I have no gotten used to the size of the phone. Still blows me away how much heavier this phone is than the 6/6+.

How often do iTunes Gift Card sales happen and can I use them on in-app purchases like Netflix?

What other useful apps that utilize in-app purchases?

Pachimari

Okay so I need some help. I went to the store to try out a headphone for it, but it turned out, that my iPhone 6 wouldn't turn up the volume all the high. The volume just stopped when I hit the yellow bars.

The store couldn't answer why, so I hope somebody will know about this issue in here?

Okay so I need some help. I went to the store to try out a headphone for it, but it turned out, that my iPhone 6 wouldn't turn up the volume all the high. The volume just stopped when I hit the yellow bars.

The store couldn't answer why, so I hope somebody will know about this issue in here?

It might have volume limit on in the settings? or might be restricted where you are. I think in europe there are limits on how high the volume can be. Or maybe it's your headphones.

Pachimari

It might have volume limit on in the settings? or might be restricted where you are. I think in europe there are limits on how high the volume can be. Or maybe it's your headphones.
Volume Limit is off and the EU recommended limit is off too. We tried the headphones on the store merchants phone and the volume wasn't limited on his phone.

=/

9.1 beta 3 seems to have solved almost all of my "freeze when unlocking" issues on my 6S.

Also what the heck is up with iCloud backups? Yes, I have plenty of room, Apple, so don't tell me I don't.

always-on Hey Siri works like ass. I can say it with the phone 12 inches from my face and it won't pick it up most of the time. A far cry from Amazon's Echo. This definitely needs improvement.

Most likely at least partially a hardware issue. The Echo was designed for large room voice recognition. The iPhone has, what? Two tiny mics?

Vyer

I've had once or twice where the hey Siri thing doesn't seem to be on, period, so there might be some bug there. Because otherwise I've found it to be very responsive and fast.

Pachimari

Volume Limit is off and the EU recommended limit is off too. We tried the headphones on the store merchants phone and the volume wasn't limited on his phone.

=/
Do anyone know of this problem? :)

Pachimari

Could you elaborate or provide a screenshot of the "yellow" bars? For some reason I can think of any yellow bars showing up when I turn up the volume on my iPhone.
I don't have the headphones as I decided not to buy them until I know I turn up the volume all the way.

The white bars when you up the the volume becomes yellow and then red.

pbsapeer

Banned
So I managed to order a 6s at my local car phone warehouse and just picked it up. Guy went to the back brought it up and proceeeded to open the shrink wrap with a Stanley blade and show me everything inside. I didn't say anything at the time but I'm kinda annoyed he did this. I was buying it sim free so he didn't need to do anything with the phone and I 100% trust Apple to put everything in the box, or send a replacement if needed.

A very first world problem and sorry for the rant! Moving from a 5 to a 6s so pretty stoked!

DemonNite

Picked up a 6s recently and really enjoying it but does anyone know why my text messages on the lock screen show the persons name only? they are all in my contact list with names.

Nephtis

Son of a bitch!

Checked the site, they had a rose gold and space gray -- I reserved one, put in my text to get code confirmation, and when I entered it...

... It was gone!

Why the fuck does Apple do the text thing. This is infuriating.

And now AZ is all out of them all over again.

Ninja Dom

Picked up a 6s recently and really enjoying it but does anyone know why my text messages on the lock screen show the persons name only? they are all in my contact list with names.

They're supposed to. For the name isn't in your phone book then it'll just show the number.

HUELEN10

Son of a bitch!

Checked the site, they had a rose gold and space gray -- I reserved one, put in my text to get code confirmation, and when I entered it...

... It was gone!

Why the fuck does Apple do the text thing. This is infuriating.

And now AZ is all out of them all over again.

image.php

9.1 beta 3 seems to have solved almost all of my "freeze when unlocking" issues on my 6S.

Also what the heck is up with iCloud backups? Yes, I have plenty of room, Apple, so don't tell me I don't.

Yep, asking myself the same question. No clue why my phone won't automatically back-up overnight. Still have to manually push it.

Hm.... so I was able to reserve a T-Mobile version of the phone I want, but I'm on AT&T. And I want to do the iPhone Upgrade Program, so it definitely needs to be activated. What are the chances they can just ignore the SIM inside the phone, scan an AT&T SIM, and activate it like it's an AT&T phone? That's kinda my plan at this point

I don't have the headphones as I decided not to buy them until I know I turn up the volume all the way.

The white bars when you up the the volume becomes yellow and then red.

This must be an EU thing since my I've never encountered this on my US iPhones. Most of the google results I get are from jailbroken iPhones, and the solution is a tweak causing a bug. Next time you get a chance, see if you can change the volume within the Music Player app or the Control Center.

You mean when you get a text you only see the name of the contact and not the message itself? It sounds like you disabled the preview option on the lockscreen in your notifications settings for messages.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Hm.... so I was able to reserve a T-Mobile version of the phone I want, but I'm on AT&T. And I want to do the iPhone Upgrade Program, so it definitely needs to be activated. What are the chances they can just ignore the SIM inside the phone, scan an AT&T SIM, and activate it like it's an AT&T phone? That's kinda my plan at this point

sadly this won't work if you're doing the Upgrade Program. While the phone will technically work fine, doing the upgrade program they actually verify that you have service with the provider. Logic would say this is to prevent someone from buying like 20 phones on the upgrade program only needing to cover ~$1600 out of pocket to scalp them, as opposed to needing to cover ~$16,000 out of pocket.

The only way to avoid the carrier check is to pay in full outright.

sadly this won't work if you're doing the Upgrade Program. While the phone will technically work fine, doing the upgrade program they actually verify that you have service with the provider. Logic would say this is to prevent someone from buying like 20 phones on the upgrade program only needing to cover ~$1600 out of pocket to scalp them, as opposed to needing to cover ~$16,000 out of pocket.

The only way to avoid the carrier check is to pay in full outright.

Oh no, like I have an AT&T account. I just had to reserve a T-Mobile model because they didn't have any AT&T models of the one that I want. So instead of scanning the IMEI number off the back of the phone they'd be able to scan it off an AT&T SIM card, right? And then it magically becomes an AT&T phone I can use on the upgrade program?

Or is it tied to the actual serial number? Because that would suck

DemonNite

You mean when you get a text you only see the name of the contact and not the message itself? It sounds like you disabled the preview option on the lockscreen in your notifications settings for messages.

No I see the text but the name is not there and replaced with their number... they definitely have a name as theyre from my contacts.

I think I may have found the issue though... Dial Assist OFF might have fixed it

Top Bottom