• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Jake.

i'm having a weird issue re: sounds. my phone still rings, but all other sounds (messages, email, camera, lock click etc) are muted, even though they are still on under settings. it was working fine until a few hours ago. any idea? tried the old fashioned turn-it-off-and-on-again but nothing. dnd is not scheduled either.

ZeroX03

Banned
Looks like I got an order in and will finally get my phone sometime next week. But I'm sure it'll get screwed up somehow.

Ninja Dom

i'm having a weird issue re: sounds. my phone still rings, but all other sounds (messages, email, camera, lock click etc) are muted, even though they are still on under settings. it was working fine until a few hours ago. any idea? tried the old fashioned turn-it-off-and-on-again but nothing. dnd is not scheduled either.

Do the sounds work with headphones in?

Is it cheaper to buy a new iPhone Plus 64GB or leash with T-Mobile Jump on Demand if I plan to upgrade every year?

The Apple's 6S+ 64GB cost $917 after tax. I saw the price of 6+ 64GB that's going for ~$514 on Craigslist now, so its value went down by $400.

Will I save more by leashing with Jump on Demand or buy to own the 6S+ then sell it when the 7+ comes out.

Kibbles

Hmm so my genius appointment or whatever to fix my old phone is literally a day after my warranty expires. Will they let it slide under warranty still? I tried to schedule it before but they had no available dates that worked with me.

Servbot24

Banned
Has anybody experienced performance issues with the 6S ?

I have a 128gb and encountered several issues already:
- freeze for s few seconds when coming out of lock screen
- same thing sometimes when pulling down to get the search
- freeze of the settings app (had to kill it)

I'm on 9.0.2

I've got a 2 second freeze twice since I got it. Not too worried, should be ironed out soon enough.

Pachimari

I'm going on a vacation soon but I don't understand, how do I add my flight tickets to Passbook? What is it I am supposed to scan?

Maybe Norwegian isn't supported but they say it should be trough their app.

giga

Hmm so my genius appointment or whatever to fix my old phone is literally a day after my warranty expires. Will they let it slide under warranty still? I tried to schedule it before but they had no available dates that worked with me.
Call..

Nephtis

I am convinced the Apple store is fucking with me.

I check availability, select my phone, do the text, and I hit confirm. And apparently it's gone.

Again.

How? How can people get the goddamned phone so quickly? How is this possible? D:

Vyer

I am convinced the Apple store is fucking with me.

I check availability, select my phone, do the text, and I hit confirm. And apparently it's gone.

Again.

How? How can people get the goddamned phone so quickly? How is this possible? D:

Are you near the store? Might be worth it just to walk in and see what happens.

Nephtis

Are you near the store? Might be worth it just to walk in and see what happens.

I've done that already and it didn't work.

I found a phone in my desired color in Chandler. Fuck it. I'm gonna make my way out there and get it.

[edit] I looked at my confirmation and somehow I must've selected T-Mobile when I wanted Verizon.

That's it. I give up.

MRSA

Banned
Anyone here with T-Mobile on JoD? I want my phone unlocked for when I go overseas, I know they'll unlock it for you if you cancel your service. But shit I like my service, I just want cheaper service abroad.

jaydogg691

Anyone here with T-Mobile on JoD? I want my phone unlocked for when I go overseas, I know they'll unlock it for you if you cancel your service. But shit I like my service, I just want cheaper service abroad.

Good question. On Android phones there's an app that will temporarily unlock your phone. I know some carries like Verizon and AT&T will loan you a phone, but that was a long time ago and don't what's up with current policies. I haven't been outta country or let alone overseas, but T-Mobile should have some new policies about overseas usage. They were promoting it a while ago about having data usage in certain countries with no fees, but you have to be on the right plan. Also, there is no charge for using Wi-Fi calling which iPhone does support.

You should hit T-Mo and see what they have to say.

Meh3D

Anyone else run into an issue with Photos on the Mac and live photos?

This morning all of a sudden, the Photos app stopped recognizing live photos. The app treats them like a regular photo. The "Turn on Live Photos" option is grayed out.

Anyone run into this issue?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

They have been known to unlock when traveling abroad. Not sure if you would need to show proof of your travel or not.

Just ask them in-store for the best chance of success.

riotous

Banned
Are you connected to a Bluetooth device?

MRSA

Banned
Good question. On Android phones there's an app that will temporarily unlock your phone. I know some carries like Verizon and AT&T will loan you a phone, but that was a long time ago and don't what's up with current policies. I haven't been outta country or let alone overseas, but T-Mobile should have some new policies about overseas usage. They were promoting it a while ago about having data usage in certain countries with no fees, but you have to be on the right plan. Also, there is no charge for using Wi-Fi calling which iPhone does support.

You should hit T-Mo and see what they have to say.

They have pretty decent international rates (I think 20 cents a minute?) but you get unlimited texting and data (2g only). Obviously I would prefer to have at least 3G coverage and a prepaid SIM would be cheaper most likely.

riotous

Banned
It is not a consistent issue and doesn't bother me. It's not a hardware issue, could happen even if I get the phone replaced.

I was having freezing issues; waited 2 days because I read spotlight search indexing can cause it, but 48 hours to index a phone with hardly anything on it made no sense.

Did a factory reset and my freezing completely went away, other than one or 2 brief ones the first hour or so (which was the indexing most likely.)

riotous

Banned
Biggest problem I am having is I get service about 5% of the day while sitting at my desk at work; constantly switching from LTE to 4G (with no data) to no service, which also kills the battery.

Service at my work sucked with my 6 but generally worked fine at my desk.

It sucks because it's POSSIBLE it's the tower, or some other change to the environment at work.. but it would be quite the coincidence that it timed perfectly with me getting a new phone.

The other strange thing is it works fine when I get to work; I'm there earlier than 90% of people.. so could be the amount of people using the tower, or could be that the bright overhead lighting which is turned off until about an hour into my day is somehow messing with my signal.

Anyone that got a 6s+ 64gb on T-Mobile, was your lease monthly payment listed at $32? This is for people that didn't get on the cheaper plan over the summer with the 6.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
No stores around me have the 6S+ in stock so I just initiated a swap by mail over the phone. They would have let me do it in store if they had them in stock. They send me the new phone and I factory reset the 6S and send it back. Almost too easy. I hope I don't regret going large!
I don't think you will regret it. The bigger screen, way better battery life, and camera makes the 6S+ a far superior phone to the regular 6S.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Biggest problem I am having is I get service about 5% of the day while sitting at my desk at work; constantly switching from LTE to 4G (with no data) to no service, which also kills the battery.

Service at my work sucked with my 6 but generally worked fine at my desk.

It sucks because it's POSSIBLE it's the tower, or some other change to the environment at work.. but it would be quite the coincidence that it timed perfectly with me getting a new phone.

The other strange thing is it works fine when I get to work; I'm there earlier than 90% of people.. so could be the amount of people using the tower, or could be that the bright overhead lighting which is turned off until about an hour into my day is somehow messing with my signal.

Although you can do wifi calling with some operators, you'd think with smartphones having pretty much constant wifi access indoors, that there would be more support for calling/texting over wifi. I have really bad reception across all operators in my house, and I'd jump to almost any platform or operator if that would work reliably.

riotous

Banned
Although you can do wifi calling with some operators, you'd think with smartphones having pretty much constant wifi access indoors, that there would be more support for calling/texting over wifi. I have really bad reception across all operators in my house, and I'd jump to almost any platform or operator if that would work reliably.

I can't use my work wifi on my phone.

Wreav

Banned

I'm on 9.0.2

I had to turn off Siri Spotlight. It's fixed in 9.1 PB3.

Scarphace

I'm on 9.0.2

Mines freezes for a couple seconds coming out of lock screen about once a day. 6S+ 9.1b3

kaskade

A week in and I'm already used to the size of the plus. Really isn't as cumbersome as I thought it'd bit. Fits well in most of my pockets and I tend to wear pretty slim fit jeans. I was a little more worried about it popping out the top of the pockets.

A week in and I'm already used to the size of the plus. Really isn't as cumbersome as I thought it'd bit. Fits well in most of my pockets and I tend to wear pretty slim fit jeans. I was a little more worried about it popping out the top of the pockets.

It took me 2 days to get used to it. I sold my 6 and was boxing it up and it felt tiny in my hand.

Peeking and popping threads in Neogaf is cool, but the real gamechanger is peeking quotes to see the entire quoted post without losing your spot in the thread.

bananas

Banned
I've done that already and it didn't work.

I found a phone in my desired color in Chandler. Fuck it. I'm gonna make my way out there and get it.

[edit] I looked at my confirmation and somehow I must've selected T-Mobile when I wanted Verizon.

That's it. I give up.

If you're buying unlocked, the T-Mobile and Verizon are the same model, so should work either way. (I bought the 128GB Verizon 6S+ unlocked and use T-Mobile).

T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint all use the same model. AT&T has its own, but any carrier will work on any model, since the AT&T model only adds LTE band 30. So really only if your AT&T subscriber should you really worry.

Of course, if you're not buying unlocked, this doesn't apply.

Peeking and popping threads in Neogaf is cool, but the real gamechanger is peeking quotes to see the entire quoted post without losing your spot in the thread.
65vUDS0.gif

KidOmega

Is anyone having issues with Siri? The Hey Siri feature doesn't really work unless I'm fairly close to the phone. The microphone is working fine too. It's starting to frustrate me.

Zizbuka

Banned
Well, we took the plunge today. Guess I'm going back to iPhone.........

Went to AT&T store, ordered 2 64gb 6S's, both gold/white. They had a promotion, so also got 2 ipad mini 2's for $100 each. They've been added to my plan, so now we'll have access when we go away. And they increased our shared data from 10gb/month to 15gb.

All in all, happy with the decision. I'll miss a lot of features Android has and/or does better imo, but I'll probably switch back to my Oneplus some times.

edit: No backorder, scheduled to ship on 9/24 so that's good.

Well, we returned the 6S's. Without kicking off another ios vs Android debate, we were just frustrated with how difficult simple things were to do. Wife installed Zedge, to get her favorite ringtone on the iPhone. Apparently Apple locked even that down, to force you to get ringtones via iTunes. That was the final straw.

Surprisingly, they let us keep the Mini 2's GSM for $100 each. I kinda hoped they would, but thought no way.

I would've been fine with using the iPhone, I looked the look, felt good in my hand and the OS wasn't horrible. They were nice phones, just not for us.

Well, we returned the 6S's. Without kicking off another ios vs Android debate, we were just frustrated with how difficult simple things were to do. Wife installed Zedge, to get her favorite ringtone on the iPhone. Apparently Apple locked even that down, to force you to get ringtones via iTunes. That was the final straw.

FWIW, .m4r files are just .aac files renamed .m4r. Just email them to your phone number at the carrier address and add them from Messages:

AT & T: @mms.att.net
Sprint: @messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile: @tmomail.net
Verizon: @vzwpix.com or @vtext.com

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
So TSMC is 16nm and Samsung 14nm. Does that mean an iPhone with the Samsung chip could potentially be a little more power efficient?

Top Bottom