• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm TSMC. The technogeek in me was hoping for the samsung, but then I came across this:

The Google translate is rather confusing but I happen to be able to read the original text without Google translate. http://m.mydrivers.com/newsview/449605.html?ref

- While running Geekbench, Samsung chip performed slightly better initially, then it went down, and temperature went up to 40C. TSMC chip performed consistently, and temperature didn't even exceed 36C.
- While running the Rabbit test, Samsung still ran hotter than TSMC. TSMC scored better than Samsung.
- The tester decided to stop the test after ~15min because the iPhone with Samsung chip was uncomfortably hot.
- The iPhone 6S with Samsung chip draws more power than the iPhone 6S Plus with TSMC chip , despite the Plus has a bigger screen. (384 mA vs 314 mA).
source

Difference is small in any case, but maybe it adds some credibility to the heat complaints some people have had. Maybe those people are more likely to have the Samsung chip phones?

kaskade

Peeking and popping threads in Neogaf is cool, but the real gamechanger is peeking quotes to see the entire quoted post without losing your spot in the thread.
Wow I didn't even think of that. Gaf is awesome with peek and pop.

I don't even want to know my chip. I feel like I'll read something that one chip is a little worse than the other and be slightly disappointed. Blissful ignorance.

I'm TSMC. The technogeek in me was hoping for the samsung, but then I came across this:

Difference is small in any case, but maybe it adds some credibility to the heat complaints some people have had. Maybe those people are more likely to have the Samsung chip phones?
TSMC master race? TSMC master race.

EmiPrime

This is why you wait. Buying an iPhone on launch is generally a bad idea partly because they need to churn out so many to meet demand so QA suffers and because the first release of an iOS version is usually very rough. The two different chips just adds to the uncertainty.

With the launch rush over I wonder if Apple can switch to TSMC for all their chips.

TimFL

6s Samsung here. Only time it ever got/gets hot is during first time setup (indexing) and downloading songs (my 6 also got hot when downloading songs). It gets "warm" when you play a game on it for a while and when I charge it (with my iPad charger).

Other than that it's cold as ice during normal usage.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The battery on the 6S+ with iOS 9 is outstanding.

Everything on this phone is worth a superlative <3

Anyone else having weird issues with Safari? Some websites don't load and show just a white page and I have to refresh to get anything to show up. If I click on a YouTube link and think hit the shortcut to go back to Safari, I can't view anything below the link I clicked. Sometimes when scrolling and the website just stops showing anything. It's just weird.

Does the T-Mobile version come unlocked?

Any phone paid in full is unlocked

Any phone from Verizon, even bought on contract, is unlocked

Any phone from the iPhone Upgrade Program is unlocked

Any phone bought from AT&T, T-Mobile, or Spring on contract is not unlocked

Week 1:

• Hey Siri is pretty damn useful
    if you have a constant data connection
  • Swiping from the left to activate the task switcher view is fantastic.
  • Going from a Note 4, it's nice having a proper working Bluetooth module.
  • The taptic vibration motor is way better that I thought it'd be.

Magnus

Week 1:

• Hey Siri is pretty damn useful
    if you have a constant data connection
  • Swiping from the left to activate the task switcher view is fantastic.
  • Going from a Note 4, it's nice having a proper working Bluetooth module.
  • The taptic vibration motor is way better that I thought it'd be.

What's the task switcher view? I'm on a 6S and have no idea. I think I may need an iOS 9 education.

The best chip is the one in my phone, because I'm great and better than you.
The worst chip is the one in your phone, because screw you, that's why!

Currently in a mess with T-Mobile. Their coverage is the shits (and that's putting it nicely) in my area. Pretty much have no choice but to go back to Sprint. Trying to figure out the best way to do that.

gruenel

This is why you wait. Buying an iPhone on launch is generally a bad idea partly because they need to churn out so many to meet demand so QA suffers and because the first release of an iOS version is usually very rough. The two different chips just adds to the uncertainty.

With the launch rush over I wonder if Apple can switch to TSMC for all their chips.

What are these QA issues you're talking about?

Red

Currently in a mess with T-Mobile. Their coverage is the shits (and that's putting it nicely) in my area. Pretty much have no choice but to go back to Sprint. Trying to figure out the best way to do that.
Pro tip: you can test out Tmobile's network without commuting to a plan for up to 7 days. I take it wifi calling is not enough to help you out?

P44

Guys, trying to decide what handset to grab, thought I'd wait a week to let the fiddling with your new phone die down:

How's the battery on the 6s and the 6s+?

I'm trying to work out which way to go, the + is maybe a little out of my comfort zone but has the battery I want, the 6s is pretty bang on, but I've heard doesn't have the best battery.

Top Bottom