• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Enco

Guys, trying to decide what handset to grab, thought I'd wait a week to let the fiddling with your new phone die down:

How's the battery on the 6s and the 6s+?

I'm trying to work out which way to go, the + is maybe a little out of my comfort zone but has the battery I want, the 6s is pretty bang on, but I've heard doesn't have the best battery.
The 6s definitely has smoother animations (mainly 3D touch) than the +. However, the + is worth it for the screen estate, battery, and camera.

Depending on my usage, I get around 7-8 hours of usage on my +. Today I used it very lightly and I am currently on 60% after unplugging about 14 hours ago (with supposedly just under 4 hours of usage). I don't get worried about my battery any more.

I was worried about the size but got used to it quickly. It still kinda sucks for one handed use but the big screen looks amazing and definitely outweighs the slight awkwardness.

Prototype

I have the 6s plus and had a question if anyone knows. My camera doesn't make the shutter noise when I take a picture. I've look d throw the the options and online and there's just ways to turn it off. Can't find any specific option to turn the shutter sound on.

Prototype

Is your manual mute/silence switch on silence?
No, I checked that.

It's really strange. It's hard to even google because all the search results are for how to turn it off. Lol.

I'm not new to smart phones. I've looked through nearly all the options in settings and there doesn't seem to be a setting to co troll the shutter noise.

I don't mind that it's off, but would like the option the turn it on.

Has anyone upgraded from the 6 and thought the 6S was worth it?

I did. I buy my phones unlocked and just sell them a week or so before the upgrade releases, which usually doesn't cost much. The 6S is shockingly fast compared to my iPhone 6, the camera is noticeably better, and 3D Touch has insane potential. Just how I use it with the messenging app is something I wouldn't want to give up. Oh, and touch I.D is almost too fast now. I used to check lock screen notifications by clicking the home button, but now that brief touch is enough to unlock my phone.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

My wife really likes the upgrade. Live photos alone is really awesome for us since we have a new daughter and those mini videos are the best thing ever to share to each other.

Pro tip: you can test out Tmobile's network without commuting to a plan for up to 7 days. I take it wifi calling is not enough to help you out?

Nope. It's bad and the WiFi calling is unreliable. Worked it out. Getting new iPhones from Sprint, returning these T-Mobile ones.

No, I checked that.

It's really strange. It's hard to even google because all the search results are for how to turn it off. Lol.

I'm not new to smart phones. I've looked through nearly all the options in settings and there doesn't seem to be a setting to co troll the shutter noise.

It doesn't make a noise when you have Live Photo on. Is that what you're doing?

Looks like I got samsung's chip for me (6s gold 64).

Could explain why my iPhone got really hot when I first did a clean install when I got my phone.

Thanks for the app link. I have the Samsung chip also on my 64GB 6S. :( If there's a significant difference in power draw and heat, I feel like I may want to exchange until I get one with a TSMC chip.

Kintaco

No, I checked that.

I lose the shutter sound when Live Photos is enabled.

Edit: Beaten.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't upgraded to the S phones but this new update has considerably hampered my 6 Plus' performance. Everything is typically slower, especially closing apps and entering into Safari. I'm so pissed.

Owari

Double tapping is more intuitive to me. The 3D swipe seems clumsy to me, but to each their own.

Are you on the 6S? I can't imagine ever using most of the 3D Touch features on the +, seems like you'd 3D Touch it right onto the ground if handled in a certain way. The slide in multitasking does seem a little buggy for me, so I usually switch between the two. Maybe it'll get smoothed out in a software update.

JaseMath

Are you on the 6S? I can't imagine ever using most of the 3D Touch features on the +, seems like you'd 3D Touch it right onto the ground if handled in a certain way. The slide in multitasking does seem a little buggy for me, so I usually switch between the two. Maybe it'll get smoothed out in a software update.
I'm on a 6S, yeah. Since I'm using a case, I have to get the literal left edge for it to register the action, and it's awkward at best. Maybe if it required a little less force it'd be better, but for now, I completely ignore it.

Maximus.

I upgraded from the 6 to the 6S+. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are getting a great deal (like I did). The 6S is great with the additional RAM, but it doesn't feel worth it to pay a substantial amount, when it's not a new design as well.

Owari

I'm on a 6S, yeah. Since I'm using a case, I have to get the literal left edge for it to register the action, and it's awkward at best. Maybe if it required a little less force it'd be better, but for now, I completely ignore it.
You can change the 3D Touch sensitivity in Settings > Accessibility, but I've tried it on my friend's 6S which has a case and it's harder to use for sure.

Well guys, it seems like my iPhone 6S+ is coming to my house tomorrow.

I thought about getting the Nexus 6P, but it has Snapdragon 810, which I don't like.

Maybe I'll wait for an Android phone that has Snapdragon 820.

subrock

one thing that is a little annoying about 3D touch is that tapping hyperlinks a little too hard causes them to actually open. It's like not hard enough for a peek, but too hard for a tap. I know I can adjust the sensitivity, but I'm worried that hard presses will make hard gestures like opening the app switcher too hard.

Hero

Verizon gave me 300 dollars for my iPhone 5s so I got a 64GB iPhone 6s.

Feels really fast and snappy, phones are just not great at the 2 year mark it seems.

Any ridiculously cool new things I might have glossed over aside from Force Touch?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Verizon gave me 300 dollars for my iPhone 5s so I got a 32GB iPhone 6s.

Feels really fast and snappy, phones are just not great at the 2 year mark it seems.

Any ridiculously cool new things I might have glossed over aside from Force Touch?

Apple doesn't make a 32gb 6S. How did you manage to get one?

Ninja Dom

No, I checked that.

You do know that there is no camera shutter noise on Live Photos? Turn off Live Photos when taking a pic to hear the camera shutter.

EDIT: Beaten twice.

Prototype

It doesn't make a noise when you have Live Photo on. Is that what you're doing?

Haven't upgraded to the S phones but this new update has considerably hampered my 6 Plus' performance. Everything is typically slower, especially closing apps and entering into Safari. I'm so pissed.

oh, I didn't try this. Let me check

Edit: Checked and it worked!
So, no noise on live Photos.

This is really funny, I called Apple Support and the first girl couldn't figure it out and she gave the call to her senior tech, and he couldn't figure it either lol. He his escalating the issue and I will get an email from the engineering department he said.

oh, I didn't try this. Let me check

Edit: Checked and it worked!
So, no noise on live Photos.

This is really funny, I called Apple Support and the first girl couldn't figure it out and she gave the call to her senior tech, and he couldn't figure it either lol. He his escalating the issue and I will get an email from the engineering department he said.

Call them back, explain the issue and solution, then tell them they owe you riches.

gimmmick

Honesty, who cares whether who makes the chip or not. If the news never released about who manufactured it, no one would ever notice the difference.

Honesty, who cares whether who makes the chip or not. If the news never released about who manufactured it, no one would ever notice the difference.

Thermal issues reduce performance over time and shorten the lifespan of the device. If the reports of overheating on Samsung chips are true, this is an issue that would present itself after one or two years.

gimmmick

Thermal issues reduce performance over time and shorten the lifespan of the device. If the reports of overheating on Samsung chips are true, this is an issue that would present itself after one or two years.

With this logic, I'm f'd either way since I live in Las Vegas and the weather is 90 - 95 on average 6 - 7 months of the year.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
3D Touch from the far left of the screen activates multitasking now.
Which has to be a candidate for the worst, most difficult to pull off gesture ever concocted by any manufacturer. It takes the obtuse off screen swipes of some newer Blackgerry phones, and adds pressure sensitive finickiness into the equation.

It pains me that they added something like that just so that they can have 3D Touch! everywhere, but they won't give an option to older phones to activate context sensitive app icon actions by tapping and holding onto them for a moment (the action which now triggers wiggly icon rearrangement). Hell, even the email peek could have been done the same way. Right now, when I tap and hold on the email in the list, nothing happens. Just make the peek happen after a moment of holding.

SURGEdude

The samsung ones seems to overheat much more easily, so a lot of people should care.

If that's the case something went terribly wrong with Sammy's die shrink. A smaller chip with the same taping/capabilities should never run hotter than the identical chip on a less efficient last gen (larger/less efficient) process. Sammy certainly charged more per chip based on what would be almost guaranteed to be a cooler, more efficient design. Despite the fact that a smaller process will in the long run result in a cheaper to produce silicon. But I'm sure they had a bin a lot of them at this stage driving costs up. It's funny too because they pitch themselves as top tier like Intel and charge a premium by constantly investing in their production facilities, while TSMC on the other hand is usually always playing catch-up thanks to the insane upfront cost of building out the facility before orders can be guaranteed.

Heat and power consumption are pretty much the short term goal for any process upgrade like this before they soon go ahead and pack more transistors into the space freed up by the shrink. I'd love to know if perhaps Samsung/Apple just got a little overzealous with the size and actually spaced things wider than need-be on the TSMC chip which somehow didn't introduce latency, but allowed it to run cooler. Why they would do that if the space allocated in the case was the same makes no sense though.

Even taking that into account I simply can't figure out how a chip that physically must draw less wattage which results in less total heat output is somehow burning through battery and creating more heat if all other factors are the same, and since both chips use passive cooling in the same casing.

It'd be like a phat PS3 running cooler than the die shrunk slim models that replaced them. It all adds up to tells me somebody made a fairly significant design or layout/configuration mistake. But I'm not smart enough about the current fabrication procedures to know what they actually did specifically

Can't wait for ChipWorks to get to the bottom of this, it ought to be fascinating. If it turns out TSMC's old process beat out Samsung's state of the art that they just dumped billions into that would be quite a coup!

Ninja Dom

oh.. news!!

So I should get a TSMC? How can I ensure that?

You can't ensure. The easiest way to find out is to run that app. In order to run that app you've got to buy a phone, open and set it up and then install the app. I can't see any retailers allowing you to do that before purchase.

None of us know what way the stocks are split.

You can't ensure. The easiest way to find out is to run that app. In order to run that app you've got to buy a phone, open and set it up and then install the app. I can't see any retailers allowing you to do that before purchase.

None of us know what way the stocks are split.

Forgive my ignorance.

What is the app?

And thanks a lot for the explanation

big_z

Returned the 6S yesterday. Extra ram is nice if you love tons of open tabs and force touch has potential when it matures but beyond that its very much the same phone with slightly to noticeably worse battery life depending on usage. If you're drying inside to upgrade and have money to burn or can get it without incurring much loss go for it. For me the excitement wore off quickly after a couple days of use and I realized there wasn't enough to justify the upgrade so im holding out for the 7 which will hopefully bring a new form factor with better battery and force touch will be more standardized.

Rootbeer

Banned
yeah, this - it seems pretty clunky and inconsistent in my experience so far. other than that, i love my 6s and wish i made the switch to iphone earlier.

it's not my favorite thing about the 6S+, but I do use the force touch a lot. People having issues with it should try adjusting the sensitivity. I have it on light so you don't have to press as hard to activate it. The default is medium.

SURGEdude

Returned the 6S yesterday. Extra ram is nice if you love tons of open tabs and force touch has potential when it matures but beyond that its very much the same phone with slightly to noticeably worse battery life depending on usage. If you're drying inside to upgrade and have money to burn or can get it without incurring much loss go for it. For me the excitement wore off quickly after a couple days of use and I realized there wasn't enough to justify the upgrade so im holding out for the 7 which will hopefully bring a new form factor with better battery and force touch will be more standardized.

Did they hit you with a 15% restock? I was considering ditching one of the ones on my plan but I was told if it wasn't defective I've get hit with that. If so I figured I'd hang onto it.

Force touch is kinda meh so far, but the ram difference is pretty profound. Insane it didn't make the cut for the 6 and they used it for the upsell to the S.

gruenel

Nephtis

After seven tries.
I finally got one.

Fuck off Verizon

Right????

I always see Tmo and ATT stock (fuck Sprint, they only have stock because no one wants them), but you may have better luck spotting Donald Trump in the morning before he combs his hair than you would finding a Verizon 6s+.

SURGEdude

Right????

I always see Tmo and ATT stock (fuck Sprint, they only have stock because no one wants them), but you may have better luck spotting Donald Trump in the morning before he combs his hair than you would finding a Verizon 6s+.

If you aren't leasing you can buy anywhere and the ATT A1634 should be functionally the same as the A1687 (Tmo/Sprnt/Verizon) the only difference being that the ATT model has the new LTE 30 band. So grab one from another carrier if you're planning on paying up front or do the Apple lease deal.

Nephtis

If you aren't leasing you can buy anywhere and the ATT A1634 should be functionally the same as the A1687 (Tmo/Sprnt/Verizon) the only difference being that the ATT model has the new LTE 30 band. So grab one from another carrier if you're planning on paying up front or do the Apple lease deal.

I want to do the upgrade program through Apple, but I can't get a phone from another carrier, because then the phone would need to be activated with said carrier :\

I tried lol

Twix

I'm trying to delete a configuration profile that was installed by a vpn app but I can't see the profile option under settings > general.

Did Apple change something? Help appreciated.

big_z

Did they hit you with a 15% restock? I was considering ditching one of the ones on my plan but I was told if it wasn't defective I've get hit with that. If so I figured I'd hang onto it.

Force touch is kinda meh so far, but the ram difference is pretty profound. Insane it didn't make the cut for the 6 and they used it for the upsell to the S.

I bought the phone from the apple store so there was no restocking fee when doing the return.

Top Bottom