• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

LordOfChaos

If that's the case something went terribly wrong with Sammy's die shrink. A smaller chip with the same taping/capabilities should never run hotter than the identical chip on a less efficient last gen (larger/less efficient) process. Sammy certainly charged more per chip based on what would be almost guaranteed to be a cooler, more efficient design

I don't follow. The only "last gen" process to compare it to is the A8, not the A9, and then there's different clock speeds and memory controllers and everything to throw into the mix that make them not directly comparable process to process. There's no A8 on 14/16nm, there's no A9 on 22nm. Not sure what you're comparing.

If you mean Samsung 14nm vs TSMC 16nm, Samsungs and TSMCs processes are on the same generation, and advertised sizes aren't really comparable between fabs as everyone advertises and counts different ways. Look at the difference between everyone elses 14nm vs Intels, plus TSMC 16nm vs Sammy 14. TSMC 16nm is pretty comparable to Samsung 14nm, Samsung is definitely not a generation ahead. And as some peoples results show, TSMCs advertised 16nm is actually better than Sammy 14.

Cell-SizeComparison.png

It'd be like a phat PS3 running cooler than the die shrunk slim models that replaced them. It all adds up to tells me somebody made a fairly significant design or layout/configuration mistake. But I'm not smart enough about the current fabrication procedures to know what they actually did specifically

It would be more like comparing the PS3 to PS4, as the chips aren't the same between process shrinks. There's no straight shrink of A8 to compare to here.

Anywho, I hope Ars or Anandtech or someone grabs models of each and runs throttling tests.

Thinking of jumping to an iPhone from a galaxy s3. This is obviously an iPhone thread, but I'm looking for something that I might be missing for why I might want to upgrade. Anyone else do it from around my phone and what were your experiences. Any surprises?

So I've had about several dozen apps remain grey after my restore on my new 6s+. I try tapping them and get a "waiting" underneath the app, but it never loads. Short of going to the appstore directly and sifting through my purchased list of 200 apps and downloading the 50 still missing, what can I do?

I've restarted the phone several times of course, and signed in and out of my account.

Ninja Dom

do both devices need to be 'S' for the other to see the live photos?

No. All iOS devices on iOS 9, all Mac's on OS X El Capitan and all Apple Watch's on watchOS 2.0 can view Live Photos. Just touch and hold your finger to see the Live Photo animate.

Only the 6S and 6S Plus can take a Live Photo.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
No. All iOS devices on iOS 9, all Mac's on OS X El Capitan and all Apple Watch's on watchOS 2.0 can view Live Photos. Just touch and hold your finger to see the Live Photo animate.

Only the 6S and 6S Plus can take a Live Photo.
I sent a live photo to my sister yesterday through SMS. She has an iPhone 5 on ios9 and it didn't work. Is it supposed to work whith that way of sharing?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I sent a live photo to my sister yesterday through SMS. She has an iPhone 5 on ios9 and it didn't work. Is it supposed to work whith that way of sharing?

you should be able to tell what you are sending. If you select a method that doesn't support live photo (sms, email), the live word (and icon) won't appear in the share.

One thing I found odd though, is that the camera from iMessage (take new photo) doesn't support live photos or GPS... thought that was odd.

So GAF I'm looking to get a 6S in the upcoming month or so and I'm wondering on whether to get the 6S or the 6S plus.

The extra money isn't really an issue to consider in this for me. I just want the best phone for me.

I currently have a 4S that I've been using since the year it came out (2011 I think?).

I know I'm a year late to this but I've seen several of the 6 Plus and 6S plus about. Used them a little and while using it with two hands is a great experience, I worry using the phone will become a bit more inconvenient one-handed as I can text pretty fast on my current phone with one hand among other tasks.

Even the standard 6S is big jump up in size from what I have so I'm debating about which to get.

As it stands the Plus seems to be the better model in other regards [screen is higher resolution, battery life is notably better, image stabilization] so I'm a little conflicted.

I.E. Do you think the size of the Plus model will bother me in the long run?

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of jumping to an iPhone from a galaxy s3. This is obviously an iPhone thread, but I'm looking for something that I might be missing for why I might want to upgrade. Anyone else do it from around my phone and what were your experiences. Any surprises?

I upgraded from the Galaxy S3 to the iPhone 5S and it was a big jump for me. Can't imagine how amazing the jump to the 6S would be.. A year in with the GS3, I really started to dislike it unfortunately. I experienced many issues and annoyances. When I got the iPhone 5S, it was smooth sailing from there on. Before recently getting the 6S Plus, I had the Note 5 and it really felt like a nice solid phone. I actually like how it felt in the hand more than the 6S Plus. However, my experience with battery life was really bad. For a battery of its size, I would expect at least 1 and half days of normal use. For weeks, I would find myself in the 20s% after ariving from work. With the iPhone 6S, I get to charge it for every 2 days almost constantly. I guess it works for me best. Considering I have a MacBook Air as well, it seems like the right choice ('continuity', 'hands off').

I suggest going to a nearby Apple Store and play with the device. It will make your decision at lot easier.

So I've had about several dozen apps remain grey after my restore on my new 6s+. I try tapping them and get a "waiting" underneath the app, but it never loads. Short of going to the appstore directly and sifting through my purchased list of 200 apps and downloading the 50 still missing, what can I do?

I've restarted the phone several times of course, and signed in and out of my account.

Not really related too much toward helping you, but it's weird that you're seeing that with standard/consumer apps. We use iPod Touch's as Point of Sale devices where I work and we occasionally see that exact same situation; greyed out app with the name changed to "waiting". Our only resolution has been to delete the app and force a fresh download.

Maybe try restoring again? If not, I think the only solution is to delete and redownload the affected apps unfortunately.

Anyone else's 6S+ showing more lag/choppiness than before? Mine has some graphics hitches pretty often. Not really complaining, I was expecting a bit more slowdown here and there, but it definitely hiked up in the past few days.

Orkidea

Got a very small amount of water on my 6S. Think of it as it's raining hard and your phone was in your jeans pocket and your jeans got wet, kinda small.

Should I be worried about anything? Phone seems normal...

Mobius 1

So GAF I'm looking to get a 6S in the upcoming month or so and I'm wondering on whether to get the 6S or the 6S plus.

The extra money isn't really an issue to consider in this for me. I just want the best phone for me.

I currently have a 4S that I've been using since the year it came out (2011 I think?).

I know I'm a year late to this but I've seen several of the 6 Plus and 6S plus about. Used them a little and while using it with two hands is a great experience, I worry using the phone will become a bit more inconvenient one-handed as I can text pretty fast on my current phone with one hand among other tasks.

Even the standard 6S is big jump up in size from what I have so I'm debating about which to get.

As it stands the Plus seems to be the better model in other regards [screen is higher resolution, battery life is notably better, image stabilization] so I'm a little conflicted.

The size will bother you, based on your usage description. Its inconvenient to pocket, difficult if not impossible to use one-handed. I speak as someone that had a 6 Plus for a year and will probably return to the smaller device. Of course, it's a matter of taste and you could experience the opposite of what I did.

Bloodrage

Banned
Got a very small amount of water on my 6S. Think of it as it's raining hard and your phone was in your jeans pocket and your jeans got wet, kinda small.

iPhones are more resistant to water than most people think. If the phone's running normally I wouldn't worry about it. If something was wrong with it you probably would have seen it by now. Just be careful next time.

kaskade

I'm trying to delete a configuration profile that was installed by a vpn app but I can't see the profile option under settings > general.

Did Apple change something? Help appreciated.

General>VPN. Then click the little i with a circle around it>delete.

Ninja Dom

Thanks. Is there a quick way to select iMessage over sms? I have no idea how to do it.

Is iMessage turned on in Settings? And on mine I have Send as SMS turned off. This ensures every pic and video I send to an Apple device always goes through the iMessage system rather than opt to use the SMS system if iMessage conditions aren't being met. Like if I don't have a great data connection.

Providing both/all users have iMessage turned on and you've got data active or wifi, every message should go through as an iMessage automatically. The easy way to tell is to observe the colour of the SEND button in your text. Green means it will go using the SMS system, Blue means it will go using the iMessage system.

Pro's of iMessage
  • Does not compress images. Images send and receive at full resolution with all EXIF data in tact.
  • Fully compatible with Live Messages
  • Compresses video down to 720p/30fps which is better than email and other messaging services (Whatsapp etc)

All up to personal preference but I do think you will find it too big when transitioned from a compact device. A bigger phone will enable you to use your phone in many new ways but you should decide if you want that ability over being able to pocket your phone and being able to forget about it. If you have no trouble viewing your current phone for web browing,video and GPS the 6s alone may improve that experience significantly enough. Personally I am aware of the things I'm missing out on 6s but it's just one of those "I can wait a year" kind of thing.

dhonk

The phone has more water resistance gaskets than old models too. If it's working ok you might be good to go.

mrkgoo

Not really related too much toward helping you, but it's weird that you're seeing that with standard/consumer apps. We use iPod Touch's as Point of Sale devices where I work and we occasionally see that exact same situation; greyed out app with the name changed to "waiting". Our only resolution has been to delete the app and force a fresh download.

Maybe try restoring again? If not, I think the only solution is to delete and redownload the affected apps unfortunately.

I've seen this before. Turning the phone off and on again kicked some into action to down load. Changing from wifi to 3G or back in again kicked the others. So it seems network related.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Is iMessage turned on in Settings? And on mine I have Send as SMS turned off. This ensures every pic and video I send to an Apple device always goes through the iMessage system rather than opt to use the SMS system if iMessage conditions aren't being met. Like if I don't have a great data connection.

Providing both/all users have iMessage turned on and you've got data active or wifi, every message should go through as an iMessage automatically. The easy way to tell is to observe the colour of the SEND button in your text. Green means it will go using the SMS system, Blue means it will go using the iMessage system.

Pro's of iMessage
  • Does not compress images. Images send and receive at full resolution with all EXIF data in tact.
  • Fully compatible with Live Messages
  • Compresses video down to 720p/30fps which is better than email and other messaging services (Whatsapp etc)
A+ answer, thanks!

SURGEdude

I don't follow. The only "last gen" process to compare it to is the A8, not the A9, and then there's different clock speeds and memory controllers and everything to throw into the mix that make them not directly comparable process to process. There's no A8 on 14/16nm, there's no A9 on 22nm. Not sure what you're comparing.

If you mean Samsung 14nm vs TSMC 16nm, Samsungs and TSMCs processes are on the same generation, and advertised sizes aren't really comparable between fabs as everyone advertises and counts different ways. Look at the difference between everyone elses 14nm vs Intels, plus TSMC 16nm vs Sammy 14. TSMC 16nm is pretty comparable to Samsung 14nm, Samsung is definitely not a generation ahead. And as some peoples results show, TSMCs advertised 16nm is actually better than Sammy 14.

Cell-SizeComparison.png

It would be more like comparing the PS3 to PS4, as the chips aren't the same between process shrinks. There's no straight shrink of A8 to compare to here.

Anywho, I hope Ars or Anandtech or someone grabs models of each and runs throttling tests.

Yeah sorry I wasn't very clear, late at night and all. I was talking about the A9 across the 2 fab not the, like you said, incomparable A8 and A9.

I was out of the loop on the difference in capabilities apparently, thanks for the diagram. I kept hearing the TSMC 16nm resulted in a dramatically bigger chip and I guess my brain just took that and threw it in with the rule of thumb about smaller reported nm and smaller end result equating to a more recent process when producing the same specced chip.

So I guess my surprise has shifted more to the fact that TSMC has made so much headway since I last payed attention to the capabilities. I remember they always used to be considered less desirable by a fair margin. I'm sure Apple is happy as hell to have them stay in the race since their options would be pretty thin otherwise, especially for design they can source from 2 different companies and negotiate on price by altering the split for leverage.

Turrican2

I recently switched from the terrible Galaxy S6 Edge to the iPhone 6S (my last iPhone was the original iPhone years ago) and I am glad I did it. The Battery life on the 6S is (surprisingly) much better, although I have to say that I am a person who has constantly GPS, WiFi, LTE, NFC & co switched on. The Battery on the Galaxy S6 didn't even last a day, the iPhone does that easily.
But the most important thing for me is the speed of the device. While I experienced regular freezes and hick ups with the S6 Edge (I don't even want to start talking about the broken multi-tasking) the iPhone 6S is blasting fast through everything I throw at it.

If you decide to buy an iPhone you decide to live in the Apple world with all it's regulations and borders - in exchange for that you get better versions of most apps and a very smooth experience.

SURGEdude

I had never noticed this before: http://m.thekat.iheart.com/onair/steve-ginas-blog-55385/alert-iphone-users-may-be-using-14002696

I turned it off just now on my phone. It's a good thing to know if you're a new user to the phone.

Turning off wifi assist

I was sent the link, so no one get any ideas :) lol

Yeah wifi assist is kinda on a person by person basis. It basically means iOS's networking stack will dynamically select to use the cell radio if it detects the wifi is below a certain threshold.

In my case it's great because iPhones are generally pretty "sticky" to wifi and on my ground floor near the front of the house it's often just able to hold wifi signal but it's so weak pages stall, videos buffer, and I end up flipping it off or moving a few feet to get it working. With wifi-assist it still holds that weak wifi when I'm at the edge of range and uses it when it can and also by staying connected means there isn't a delay for it to reconnect if I move closer in range. The result in theory is that I should have the experience of a deadzone where the phone sees wifi pushes through it, but times out when the resulting connection is too weak.

The downside is it seems like Apple may have made the preference for cellular a bit overly aggressive so that it's choosing LTE over wifi when in reality the wifi is still viable and thus wasting data when it isn't needed. Unfortunately there's really no silver bullet since the throughput needed for different activities varies widely as do fluctuations from interference which make the conditions fairly fluid especially in high traffic wifi locations.

My recommendation is if you haven't had issues with the phone staying connected to wifi when it can't actually pull data then disable wifi-assist at least until we know a bit more from people's experience outside of the beta.

I recently switched from the terrible Galaxy S6 Edge to the iPhone 6S (my last iPhone was the original iPhone years ago) and I am glad I did it. The Battery life on the 6S is (surprisingly) much better, although I have to say that I am a person who has constantly GPS, WiFi, LTE, NFC & co switched on. The Battery on the Galaxy S6 didn't even last a day, the iPhone does that easily.
But the most important thing for me is the speed of the device. While I experienced regular freezes and hick ups with the S6 Edge (I don't even want to start talking about the broken multi-tasking) the iPhone 6S is blasting fast through everything I throw at it.

If you decide to buy an iPhone you decide to live in the Apple world with all it's regulations and borders - in exchange for that you get better versions of most apps and a very smooth experience.
Wow I'm surprised at this. Thought the S6 Edge as a flagship would be one of the best phones out there. You make me happy I went with my iphone 6s.

SURGEdude

That's very much my feeling as it relates to the difference between the relative platforms. I imagine you might have not been so happy if you had come back to the original 6 though. That 1GB of ram really handicapped an otherwise great device which in other metrics will still be competitive for many years. They should have never gone 64bit without at least bumping it to 1.5GB to makeup for the overhead. 5S didn't hurt too much but the 6 was hobbled and I suspect it's support span will be majorly impacted relative to its other attributes.

The people who work on the Safari build for ARM on the iPhone deserve serious respect for the insane performance they can pull out of Apple's A series chips. I mean the 3 year old 5S renders the Kraken benchmark almost double as fast as Samsung's Galaxy Note 5. That's insane considering that they are basically from different eras at this point. And other benches are largely close to that including Google's own in case there's any concern about Apple targeting niche metrics with little impact. Since browsing is such a huge part of the experience and so many apps are built on it it's pretty incredible how far ahead Safari is despite Google having a great Chrome team and having made some huge steps by shifting their runtime to ART from Dalvik.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Never owned an iPhone, looking at a 6 or 6s to replace my Nokia, my only question is, is 16GB enough? I don't listen to much music and the only thing that'll take up space is apps really.

Ninja Dom

Never owned an iPhone, looking at a 6 or 6s to replace my Nokia, my only question is, is 16GB enough? I don't listen to much music and the only thing that'll take up space is apps really.

NO! Hell NO!

List time? List time.
  • 4K video recording ability
  • 1080p 60fps video recording ability
  • 12 megapixel photos with Live Photos ability
  • Lots of great apps although app thinning is coming
  • Any podcasts or saved movies & TV shows you may wanna watch
  • All your emails, messages, eBooks and other data for at least the next year, maybe 2 years or more
  • Apple's first generation iPhone had a 16GB version released later on in 2008 and that was decades ago

ZeroX03

Banned
NO! Hell NO!

List time? List time.
  • 4K video recording ability
  • 1080p 60fps video recording ability
  • 12 megapixel photos with Live Photos ability
  • Lots of great apps although app thinning is coming
  • Any podcasts or saved movies & TV shows you may wanna watch
  • All your emails, messages, eBooks and other data for at least the next year, maybe 2 years or more
  • Apple's first generation iPhone had a 16GB version released later on in 2008 and that was decades ago

uhhhh

grumble

No the 16gb is for business users and so they can mislead consumers by offering an option at a cheaper price then gouge you on memory. Typing on a 6s right now.

Also this phone was buggy as hell to set up. Ended up having to go to the Apple Store because it kept crashing. Just works my ass.

How do you use it with the messaging app?

do both devices need to be 'S' for the other to see the live photos?

3D Touch to peek into a menu that shows recently messaged contacts. It's super useful for quickly getting into that without having to sort through my threads.

Lima

Got my 6S exchanged today because of the blue hue on the left side. It was faint but killing my OCD. New screen is perfect.

mid83

I'm looking to upgrade from a 5S and can't decide on the 6S/6S+. The bigger screen seems great but I work at a hospital and I'm not sure how annoying the 6S+ would be hanging in my scrub pockets all the time. In addition, I tend to use big cases like Otterboxes so I can't imagine how bulky that phone would be with a big case. Plus, I do have an iPad Air 2 so I'm not really stressed about having a bigger screen at home.

The biggest issues that have me nervous to get a 6S is all the comments I've seen about how much worse the battery life is and the apparently better screen of the Plus.

Any advice? I'm willing to jump to a Plus if the experience is that much better, but I'm having a hard time deciding.

Fjordson

I'm looking to upgrade from a 5S and can't decide on the 6S/6S+. The bigger screen seems great but I work at a hospital and I'm not sure how annoying the 6S+ would be hanging in my scrub pockets all the time. In addition, I tend to use big cases like Otterboxes so I can't imagine how bulky that phone would be with a big case. Plus, I do have an iPad Air 2 so I'm not really stressed about having a bigger screen at home.

The biggest issues that have me nervous to get a 6S is all the comments I've seen about how much worse the battery life is and the apparently better screen of the Plus.

Any advice? I'm willing to jump to a Plus if the experience is that much better, but I'm having a hard time deciding.
The 6S screen is still pretty great, I wouldn't say that's an issue. It's been great coming from a 5.

Battery life on the 6S is solid, but it's definitely much better on the S+. No two ways about it.

TouchID is too fast. Phone is too good. 3 stars.
you joke but sometimes I wanna hit repeat on a song from the lock screen or check the time/notifications and the fucking thing opens up to the main screen

it's forcing me to use my Apple Watch more now and making me reliant on it

opportunistic bastard Tim Cook planned it all along

riotous

Banned
you joke but sometimes I wanna hit repeat on a song from the lock screen or check the time/notifications and the fucking thing opens up to the main screen

it's forcing me to use my Apple Watch more now and making me reliant on it

opportunistic bastard Tim Cook planned it all along

Or just click your side button.

Top Bottom