• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

ShadiWulf

Got the 6s last week. Really enjoying the phone. First time using iOS so it certainly took adjusting. Skype notifications seemed to have stopped working though. I don't remember exactly when, but it seemed to start shortly after updating iOS to the latest version. Anyone else having problems with Skype? Already checked the notification settings for Skype and those look good.

So I bought a 6s Plus at full price under the impression that I would use it until my store got the model I want in stock (AT&T 6s Plus 64GB Space Grey), return the one I'm using now, and then hop onto the iPhone Upgrade Program with the new phone. The first half of my plan went great (buying the phone at full price) but the second half isn't looking so good, since my local stores have had none of my model in at all. If they don't by Friday, I'm going to have to return this thing anyway, since I can't afford to have it on my credit card

mid83

One more thing, any thoughts on the Apple Upgrade Program? I'm assuming the major advantage is not being tied to a specific carrier? Is it really that easy to switch carriers every year if one of the is offering a great price?

I've never switched carriers (always been with AT&T) so I'm not sure how much of a hassle that would be.

Red

My order was pushed back to October 21. What's going on over there man. I preordered this thing a month ago.

HUELEN10

So, I haven't kept up to date with the thread, but did most of GAF choose the (superior) 6S or the (oversized) 6S+?

ZeroX03

Banned
So, I haven't kept up to date with the thread, but did most of GAF choose the (superior) 6S or the (oversized) 6S+?

Can you and jaxapollo just give it a fucking rest? What is wrong with the two of you that you have to constantly attack other people's preferences? The superior/oversized comments weren't necessary.

Siri and Hey Siri are completely useless.

Siri is dumb as fuck and can't get results to my questions, unlike Google Now which gets it right every single time.

Hey Siri is useless because it makes me put in my passcode instead of giving me a result instantly. I had to program my voice 5 times for it to learn my voice and yet it cant make use of that tech to unlock my phone as well when using Hey Siri.

Red

Siri is dumb as fuck and can't get results to my questions, unlike Google Now which gets it right every single time.

Hey Siri is useless because it makes me put in my passcode instead of giving me a result. I had to program my voice 5 times for it to learn my voice and yet it cant make use of that tech to unlock my phone as well when using Hey Siri.
Siri definitely needs a lot of work.

Is iMessage turned on in Settings? And on mine I have Send as SMS turned off. This ensures every pic and video I send to an Apple device always goes through the iMessage system rather than opt to use the SMS system if iMessage conditions aren't being met.

Does turning that setting off mean that you can't send messages to any Android users? Or just that Apple ID <---> Apple ID will always be done with iMessage?

Hey Siri is useless because it makes me put in my passcode instead of giving me a result instantly. I had to program my voice 5 times for it to learn my voice and yet it cant make use of that tech to unlock my phone as well when using Hey Siri.

That's quite a bucketful you've dumped into the thread.

Perhaps you're used to phrasing things in a way that Google Now understands, but Siri doesn't. It would help to know what kind of questions you're asking Siri. Siri definitely has blind spots and isn't as good at contextual information as Google Now, but it's far from "dumb" or "useless".

Hey Siri can be activated without unlocking the phone on the iPhones 6S. This is because there's a new low-power chip in those phones that can listen for your voice without draining the battery. However older phones can still be activated anytime when plugged into a power cord.

To those who have waited weeks for your iPhone 6S+ to come, when are you getting yours?

I ordered my 6S+ on 9/14 and T-Mobile says this:

"Status: Awaiting more Inventory. Expected to ship between 10/05/2015 and 10/12/2015"

It used to be early november.

Does turning that setting off mean that you can't send messages to any Android users? Or just that Apple ID <---> Apple ID will always be done with iMessage?

You're right, it means Apple ID to Apple ID is iMessage all the time, which is preferable. Especially if you're messaging overseas/internationally or trying to get all the iMessage features. You can still message Android users with regular SMS messages, but it will be limited by the SMS specs.

If you have 'send as SMS' on as well as iMessage on, it just means you send a normal old SMS if iMessage isn't working. but I just leave it off as messages that aren't able to sent you can decide to 'try again' or 'send as text' by tapping on the ! icon.

you joke but sometimes I wanna hit repeat on a song from the lock screen or check the time/notifications and the fucking thing opens up to the main screen

it's forcing me to use my Apple Watch more now and making me reliant on it

opportunistic bastard Tim Cook planned it all along

Yeah, it's going to take a while to get used to hitting the wake button instead of home if I just want to see the time.

Seriously, just do this:

When you scan your print into Touch ID, only scan the pad of your finger(s), not the tip(s). That way, it doesn't have your fingertip profile and can't use the tip for unlocks.

Then, when you want to skip a song or check the time, tap the home button with the tip of your finger. And when you want to unlock the phone, use the pad of your finger.

It's insanely simple and literally works perfectly every time.

Shun

Here are pictures of the Rose Gold Tunewear Frame x Frame. Really good and very subtly, not intrusive. Thin too!

00031b86d78ea4fad3eaf194f06174ec.jpg
7c73d40c71e71742dcddbe233a559c58.jpg
6408fae93e21d977ab33393e3ac6ae86.jpg
a211b7675f5fffe1c48f817dba259f2e.jpg
d354bdf6ddfe33fa787164bf1c3484e8.jpg
1b14d20ecf5c9be1ef123824503750f3.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Lads does Hey Siri works via headset (corded or otherwise)?

Should order my 6s+ next Friday, coming from a 5. Can't wait!

subrock

totally agree, siri is an embarrassing mess 75% of the time. I haven't had "hey siri" work even once, and I've tried many times

ZeroX03

Banned
totally agree, siri is an embarrassing mess 75% of the time. I haven't had "hey siri" work even once, and I've tried many times

Silly question, but you've turned it on right? Hey Siri is turned off by default in iOS9.

I have no issues with Hey Siri on a charging iOS8 device.

subrock

Silly question, but you've turned it on right? Hey Siri is turned off by default in iOS9.

I have no issues with Hey Siri on a charging iOS8 device.
Definitely on. I guess it's background noise or something, but when I have to say hey Siri 3 times its just way fucking slower than it ought to be

Gaaraz

Currently in San Francisco and tried to pick up a 6S Plus earlier either no luck.

Ideally want a 64GB space grey 6S Plus but not sure what to compromise on. They did have a 16GB gold 6S available which is pretty much the opposite of what I was after but still tempting. Not here for much longer and running out of time to grab one

Ninja Dom

The latter. Messages between Apple ID's will always be done via iMessage. Important for me cos I send a lot of pics & videos out and they would charge me money each time if it was sent via the SMS service because my data connection wasn't good enough for iMessage.

Non Apple users will always receive your messages as regular SMS.

You're right, it means Apple ID to Apple ID is iMessage all the time, which is preferable. Especially if you're messaging overseas/internationally or trying to get all the iMessage features. You can still message Android users with regular SMS messages, but it will be limited by the SMS specs.

If you have 'send as SMS' on as well as iMessage on, it just means you send a normal old SMS if iMessage isn't working. but I just leave it off as messages that aren't able to sent you can decide to 'try again' or 'send as text' by tapping on the ! icon.

The latter. Messages between Apple ID's will always be done via iMessage. Important for me cos I send a lot of pics & videos out and they would charge me money each time if it was sent via the SMS service because my data connection wasn't good enough for iMessage.

Non Apple users will always receive your messages as regular SMS.

I turned that setting off several versions ago, but there's enough special iMessage things now that you're right, it's a good idea. Thanks for the clarification and the tip!

Not sure if you guys can help but this thread is a lot more active then the El Captain thread and I know a lot of people who buy iPhones have Macs.

But here is the issue, my MacBook Pro 2011 model was updating to El Captain. Everything was going great and then all of a sudden it said some problems occurred and some files couldn't be restored. It then prompted me to hit the restart button which I did thinking it would just reset the process..... But now it's booting into OS X installer.... Did I just lose all my stuff? I was just about to buy a new back up harddrive too. :/ My original broke.

Right now it prompted me to restart from OSX installer so I did. And it says it's installing OS X to my MacBook now? The blue bar is moving but at an extremely slow pace.

Shun

Not sure if you guys can help but this thread is a lot more active then the El Captain thread and I know a lot of people who buy iPhones have Macs.

But here is the issue, my MacBook Pro 2011 model was updating to El Captain. Everything was going great and then all of a sudden it said some problems occurred and some files couldn't be restored. It then prompted me to hit the restart button which I did thinking it would just reset the process..... But now it's booting into OS X installer.... Did I just lose all my stuff? I was just about to buy a new back up harddrive too. :/ My original broke.

Right now it prompted me to restart from OSX installer so I did. And it says it's installing OS X to my MacBook now? The blue bar is moving but at an extremely slow pace.

Is it an HDD or SSD? I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011 too and I'm on an SSD. I've had this issue before with a hard drive.

Go and backup your files as soon as you can in case. You can try by cloning or installing OS X on the hard drive and transferring your stuff over. After that see if you can bring it to the Apple Store for a more definitive answer.

I can say anything definitive but you may have to restore it. Just try to back it up ASAP. Whatever you do do not turn it off or try to reset. Just let is sit for a bit, even overnight if you have to. Just don't prematurely force turn it off while writing.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Is it an HDD or SSD? I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011 too and I'm on an SSD. I've had this issue before with a hard drive.

Go and backup your files as soon as you can in case. You can try by cloning or installing OS X on the hard drive and transferring your stuff over. After that see if you can bring it to the Apple Store for a more definitive answer.

I can say anything definitive but you may have to restore it. Just try to back it up ASAP. Whatever you do do not turn it off or try to reset. Just let is sit for a bit, even overnight if you have to. Just don't prematurely force turn it off while writing.

Its an HDD. I think my pops has a spare external laying around and it till lets me boot into Disk Utility from recovery mode. And the actual issue was "file system verify or repair failed".

If there was a way to just save the pictures that would be perfect. I really don't need anything else. Hopefully everything works out.

Shun

Does it keep those saved settings if I then take it forward to a new 6s+ at a later date?

I'm not sure, I don't think so since you will be recognised as a downgraded device. Go make a separate backup just incase on iTunes. Always make a separate back up.

Then you can use that one to go back from.

You can keep your photos and other stuff on iCloud stream and be fine on the older backup.

Shun

Its an HDD. I think my pops has a spare external laying around and it till lets me boot into Disk Utility from recovery mode. And the actual issue was "file system verify or repair failed".

If there was a way to just save the pictures that would be perfect. I really don't need anything else. Hopefully everything works out.

Then you might be able to recover as much as you can and replace it.

If it says that repair failed when you try verifying on file system, then you might have to get rid of the HDD. Just don't do anything else to it and try to keep it in as clean of a state as possible.

Use a new HDD/SSD and install OS X on that then try transferring the stuff over to it from your faulty drive.

For example, plug in your HDD and boot up recovery so you can install OS X on it. Then throw your failing drive in an enclosure or something and try to access the files.

I'd say get an SSD as soon as you can so you don't deal with this again. I went through a ton of HDDs on my Macbook Pro since I took it everywhere and I lost a lot of my RAW photos from my Nikon D700 and my Lightroom/Photoshop files.

If you need help I'll gladly help you with it since I know exactly how lame this is.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yay, Virgin is going to continue carrying iPhones and will be getting the 6S soon. Hopefully they'll also get the 6S+ in 64GB. If I decide to stick with them I'll be happy to upgrade.

Gaaraz

Would the white/gold show marks etc more than the space grey? Know I will likely need to do primes on things and am thinking colour could be the best option, rather than dropping to 16GB or just getting a non-plus.

I do like how the regular 6S feels in the hand though, but that 6S Plus screen, OIS and battery life... :(

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Would the white/gold show marks etc more than the space grey? Know I will likely need to do primes on things and am thinking colour could be the best option, rather than dropping to 16GB or just getting a non-plus.

I do like how the regular 6S feels in the hand though, but that 6S Plus screen, OIS and battery life... :(
Just wait for the 6s+ to be back in stock then. Don't buy something you will regret. The regular 6s is tiny and has way worse battery life. The all day battery life, big screen, 1080p screen, and OIS makes the 6s+ trump the regular one in my opinion.

All day battery life/5.5" 1080p display/OIS > small form factor. Also you seem to really want that Space Grey, so like I said don't buy something just to buy it. Get what you really want, you don't want to regret it. 2-3 weeks is the wait time, but it'll be worth it to get the thing you really want.

keuja

I recently switched from the terrible Galaxy S6 Edge to the iPhone 6S (my last iPhone was the original iPhone years ago) and I am glad I did it. The Battery life on the 6S is (surprisingly) much better, although I have to say that I am a person who has constantly GPS, WiFi, LTE, NFC & co switched on. The Battery on the Galaxy S6 didn't even last a day, the iPhone does that easily.
But the most important thing for me is the speed of the device. While I experienced regular freezes and hick ups with the S6 Edge (I don't even want to start talking about the broken multi-tasking) the iPhone 6S is blasting fast through everything I throw at it.

If you decide to buy an iPhone you decide to live in the Apple world with all it's regulations and borders - in exchange for that you get better versions of most apps and a very smooth experience.

But I would miss the widgets :(. I love having my calendar, notes and whatever I need right on the home screens. Im still seriously considering the iPhone for the first time in my life. The 6s is a sexy beast... looks way better than anything in the android world, except maybe the xperia z5 which i also consider buying...

samn

But I would miss the widgets :(. I love having my calendar, notes and whatever I need right on the home screens. Im still seriously considering the iPhone for the first time in my life. The 6s is a sexy beast... looks way better than anything in the android world, except maybe the xperia z5 which i also consider buying...

you can get widgets on the notification screen

Any chance someone would be intetested in my grey Tunewear Frame x Frame case for 6s Plus I no longer need? I'd give a good discount.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, we are still waiting for an update on shipping on my wife's 64GB Rose 6S. Fuck AT&T and them messing up our order. I called and complained to Premier about the order yesterday...The guy escalated me to a supervisor and he said there was literally nothing he could do to adjust my order date back to the actual order date.
Phone was ordered on preorder day, received an email that there was an "issue processing the order" the day the phone came out, called to sort out the issue, order date changed from preorder day to release day, shipping got bumped over a month, AT&T says sorry too bad.

Is the Rose Gold stock that terrible right now, too?

ZeroX03

Banned
Man, we are still waiting for an update on shipping on my wife's 64GB Rose 6S. Fuck AT&T and them messing up our order. I called and complained to Premier about the order yesterday...The guy escalated me to a supervisor and he said there was literally nothing he could do to adjust my order date back to the actual order date.
Phone was ordered on preorder day, received an email that there was an "issue processing the order" the day the phone came out, called to sort out the issue, order date changed from preorder day to release day, shipping got bumped over a month, AT&T says sorry too bad.

Is the Rose Gold stock that terrible right now, too?

I've only seen rough stock and backorder numbers at local retailers, but yes Rose Gold is a lot more popular than expected.

Lots of Gold going around though. Easily the least popular. And having seen all the colors in person I'd say it's secretly the best looking one too. If I hadn't already ordered mine I would've got Gold.

Top Bottom