• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Is there any good review that really goes in-depth on the battery performance of the 6s?

All I see is comments ranging from "not bad" to "not good", and I really don't want to consider the Plus, it's too hueg.

Gaaraz

Just wait for the 6s+ to be back in stock then. Don't buy something you will regret. The regular 6s is tiny and has way worse battery life. The all day battery life, big screen, 1080p screen, and OIS makes the 6s+ trump the regular one in my opinion.

All day battery life/5.5" 1080p display/OIS > small form factor. Also you seem to really want that Space Grey, so like I said don't buy something just to buy it. Get what you really want, you don't want to regret it. 2-3 weeks is the wait time, but it'll be worth it to get the thing you really want.
Thanks! I think you're right that I should try to get the one I want. The problem is that I'm only in SF for a few more days, and then Vegas for a few days after that (which is possibly going to be been harder to source one) - I know I'll really be kicking myself if I get another chance of a 64GB 6S and end up with nothing :(

Red

I've only seen rough stock and backorder numbers at local retailers, but yes Rose Gold is a lot more popular than expected.

Lots of Gold going around though. Easily the least popular. And having seen all the colors in person I'd say it's secretly the best looking one too. If I hadn't already ordered mine I would've got Gold.
I agree. As much as I thought the gold 6 was a step down from the 5s, it's still the best option.

Sorry to be a broken record in this thread, but *surprise!* iCloud backups are still kinda boned. I didn't get an automatic backup to push since Saturday, so this morning, I deleted my existing backup from iCloud storage management, pushed a manual back-up, and it worked. So hopefully that fixes the problem, but I really can't believe the issues iOS9 has had with this specific thing.

It was $40 for my Plus model Frame x Frame. I'm looking to part with my new one for $30 though (I'll probably get to posting on the trade thread). I don't need it anymore since switching to 6s.

I'm interested, my iPhone 6S+ Rose Gold comes in today!

Can I get it from you? I can't believe it's $40. Is your case as good as the K11 bumper?

Cheech

Sorry to be a broken record in this thread, but *surprise!* iCloud backups are still kinda boned. I didn't get an automatic backup to push since Saturday, so this morning, I deleted my existing backup from iCloud storage management, pushed a manual back-up, and it worked. So hopefully that fixes the problem, but I really can't believe the issues iOS9 has had with this specific thing.

I had to change my phone's name for the initial backup to work. I then was able to change the phone's name back to what it was, and backups have worked fine since then.

iCloud is flaky sometimes when replacing devices.

Zia

Has anyone else found it impossible to get a phone via the upgrade program? I was out of town on launch day, and then busy the following Saturday when they had that soft re-launch and now my local outlets are just constantly out of stock in the Plus aside from a trickle of rose golds here and there. It's really disappointing for a program that's supposed to be convenient.

I had to change my phone's name for the initial backup to work. I then was able to change the phone's name back to what it was, and backups have worked fine since then.

iCloud is flaky sometimes when replacing devices.

Totally, I've just never had this problem to this degree. Interesting tip about changing the name of your phone. I'm going to try that and see if it does anything. It's just doubly frustrating because there's no way to know whether or not it's doing the automatic backups till after a 24 hour period.

gimmmick

I've only seen rough stock and backorder numbers at local retailers, but yes Rose Gold is a lot more popular than expected.

Lots of Gold going around though. Easily the least popular. And having seen all the colors in person I'd say it's secretly the best looking one too. If I hadn't already ordered mine I would've got Gold.

This. Putting on a saddle brown apple leather case on it makes it one good looking phone .

I'm interested, my iPhone 6S+ Rose Gold comes in today!

Can I get it from you? I can't believe it's $40. Is your case as good as the K11 bumper?
Great! I'll give you a Pm. The case is in space grey color though, so like a dark grey look. From my impressions the K11 may be more protective with better TPU lips to protect the front and back. The Tunewear version is VERY thin and low profile! :)

Really glad I got the TSMC chip in my 6s+. Reddit/Macrumors/Chinese forum are all showing ~20% better battery life, lower temps, and slight performance bump over the Samsung.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/3nn00t/live_test_results_iphone_6s_samsung_14nm_vs_tsmc/
This is becoming a full fledged problem if this is true. I have the Samsung version.

HvySky

Finally broke down and ordered a Silver 16gb Plus from Sprint. It's on back-order, so the best they could guarantee was 3-4 weeks maximum. I'm okay with the wait, though. This'll be the FIRST Apple product I have ever owned. Kind of excited!

Finally broke down and ordered a Silver 16gb Plus from Sprint. It's on back-order, so the best they could guarantee was 3-4 weeks maximum. I'm okay with the wait, though. This'll be the FIRST Apple product I have ever owned. Kind of excited!

Congrats! It's going to be crazy.

So is my 6S Plus fucked up or do these things really charge this slow?

What happened? I remember not to long ago an update to iOS 8.1 on my regular 6 PLus made the charging MUCH faster. It was almost Note 4 levels.

Now I upgrade to the 6S Plus and it's fucking abysmal, even when the phone is on low power mode or completely off.

I mean I'm talking like 20-something% charge in almost 40 minutes.

HvySky

Congrats! It's going to be crazy.

Yeah! I've always used Android phones up until this point, and while I still like the OS I decided I wanted to try something different. Mix it up a little bit. I've always sort of observed Apple and their products from afar, but I'm just now sort of plunging in head first. The idea of having this entire other tech ecosystem to explore is really exciting!

Hmm so what's the story behind the TMSC versus Samsung chip stuff?

Is that 20% difference in battery usage related to whatever task the chip does or is it saying users have noticed 20% less overall battery life due to this different chip because that's crazy if true?

Wreav

Banned

What happened? I remember not to long ago an update to iOS 8.1 on my regular 6 PLus made the charging MUCH faster. It was almost Note 4 levels.

Now I upgrade to the 6S Plus and it's fucking abysmal, even when the phone is on low power mode or completely off.

Get a 2.1A charger.

Arcteryx

I've noticed this as well. It takes FAR longer to charge my 6S+ than my 6+. I guess I shouldn't complain, as overall battery life is better, but still...dafuq.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Woah 20% is a crazy amount of difference, would have thought it would have been something like 5%?

I've noticed this as well. It takes FAR longer to charge my 6S+ than my 6+. I guess I shouldn't complain, as overall battery life is better, but still...dafuq.

Get the 12W iPad charger. It's fairly cheap as well

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
That's interesting. I have the Samsung chip. Battery life is great to me, then again I've upgraded from the 5S so it was gonna be an upgrade either way. lol

RDreamer

Hmm so what's the story behind the TMSC versus Samsung chip stuff?

Is that 20% difference in battery usage related to whatever task the chip does or is it saying users have noticed 20% less overall battery life due to this different chip because that's crazy if true?

I'm curious about this too. 20% overall is pretty nuts. I'm glad I've got the TMSC version if true. I kind of doubt it's an overall 20% change though.

boxter432

Really glad I got the TSMC chip in my 6s+. Reddit/Macrumors/Chinese forum are all showing ~20% better battery life, lower temps, and slight performance bump over the Samsung.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/3nn00t/live_test_results_iphone_6s_samsung_14nm_vs_tsmc/

reddit is blocked at work, how are they able to compare the two chips head to head? are they having people use the same network/wifi, starting battery point, brightness etc... and doing the exact same thing during a whole day?

npa189

TSMC in my 6s+, but I've been very happy with my phone since I got it. used it all day yesterday and plugged it in with 25% left, my Nexus 6 could never hope to do that.

Shun

It seems like the split for the phones are as so

6S: 50/50
6S+ 60Samsung/40TSMC

So glad. I have had bad experiences with Samsung products period and I would never want to own their branded products again if possible.

Wreav

Banned

6S+ 60Samsung/40TSMC

So glad. I have had bad experiences with Samsung products period and I would never want to own their branded products again if possible.

It's funny because no one seems to know how long Sammy has been making CPUs for Apple.

Rootbeer

Banned

6S+ 60Samsung/40TSMC

If that's accurate then I guess I got lucky with my 6S+. Still waiting for more data of course, the actual differences might not be as extreme as some early reports are indicating. But the fact that there is even a small difference is displeasing.

Top Bottom