• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Doesn't mess with the compass or anything does it?
I was an idiot, so I had mine mounted while I had the heat on and my phone shut off for a few minutes to cool down from overheating.

So you can't use the mounts in the winter, basically. But they work great.

There's an app to check. The Samsung chips are shown to be overheating more and not running as well as the TSMC variant.
what's a quick way to check if I'm a Samsung peasant?

Google shows me weird certificate ways and the link in the last page comes up blank any easy ways?

edit- had to turn off content blockers for the app link to work. Samsung peasant :(((

Akira

what's a quick way to check if I'm a Samsung peasant?

Google shows me weird certificate ways and the link in the last page comes up blank any easy ways?

edit- had to turn off content blockers for the app link to work. Samsung peasant :(((

Download the Lirum Device Info Lite from App Store.

Just checked mine: N66MAP (6S Plus) = TSMC.

WIN!

I want to check but I don't want to check. I know if I end up getting a Samsung I'm never gonna stop thinking about it so you know what it's not even worth it

jts

...hate me...
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did I have to find out about this whole Samsung vs TSMC thing.

Now I won't sleep well till I get mine.

In all seriousness though, it's supposed to be a 2-3 year phone for me, so yeah I get to nitpick. If I get a Samsung there's an increased chance I'll try to do the trade up next year (esp. if Apple switches to USB-C, the only spec that is bothering me).

mid83

Where can you just walking in and find one?

Your best bet is checking the inventory of Apple stores nearby (if you live near any) throughout the day for new inventory. Then, make an appointment to buy the phone. I ended up getting two phones reserved today (one for me and I reserved one for my gf).

The Apple Store folks told me they are getting inventory daily but they usually tell walk ins that they are out of stock since their stock is getting tied up by reservations.

Anion

iPhone 6S 64GB with the Samsung
ponBvY5.jpg
How does my phone stack up to you other Samsung and TSMC 6Ss?

Hatty

this chip stuff is some macrumors tier nonsense
Just use the phone and enjoy it and if things go wrong I'm sure Apple will replace it

big_z

Really glad I got the TSMC chip in my 6s+. Reddit/Macrumors/Chinese forum are all showing ~20% better battery life, lower temps, and slight performance bump over the Samsung.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/3nn00t/live_test_results_iphone_6s_samsung_14nm_vs_tsmc/

this makes me wonder what chip I had in the 6s I returned. the battery was noticeably worse than my 6. however there's plenty of people with both chips on macrumors saying their battery isn't as good or fairly close so who knows.

hopefully for the next phone they stick to one source for chips and resolve some of the on going QOL issues. just making it razor thin so you have to buy apple mits to avoid slicing your fingers during use isn't going to cut it.

Gaaraz

Just use the phone and enjoy it and if things go wrong I'm sure Apple will replace it
They didn't replace iPhone 6 Pluses that got bent in people's pockets, and they didn't replace iPhone 4s which had the antenna issue.

Is there a chance this is just a firmware issue and can be fixed with an update? Also, would it be unreasonable to return the phone if I got a Samsung chip?

My mail app freezes or crashes about 50% of the time immediately after opening it. Anyone else experiencing this? What could possibly be causing it? Should I take my phone in to an Apple Store or just hope enough people experience it that Apple fixes it in a patch?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My mail app freezes or crashes about 50% of the time immediately after opening it. Anyone else experiencing this? What could possibly be causing it? Should I take my phone in to an Apple Store or just hope enough people experience it that Apple fixes it in a patch?
My advice would be to use Mymail, not only because it may solve your problem, but also because it's the best ios mail app.

cjp

I don't know. A two hour difference in a battery benchmark seems pretty substantial.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There's a new app called "Been Choice" that blocks ads in native apps. Get it while it lasts, I'm not sure Apple intended to approve it.

Pachimari

I have a quick question. I'm sitting with an iPhone 6 but when I turn up and down the brightness it is seems like it is dimming it when I let go of the brightness slider.

Do any of you know a fix for this?

ZeroX03

Banned
I have a quick question. I'm sitting with an iPhone 6 but when I turn up and down the brightness it is seems like it is dimming it when I let go of the brightness slider.

Do any of you know a fix for this?

It's not a problem it's intentional, the control center darkens the screen. When you slide control center back down it'll go to the brightness that you see when using the slider.

Ninja Dom

Well, when there's a clear difference in stuff like battery life - if the 20% claims are true -, it is a pretty big deal. I wouldn't be glad paying so much of my hard earned cash for a phone knowing that other people are paying the same and getting a superior version of it.

Here's the problem with retail.

Your iPhone works fine.

Prove to the retailer that you've got the Samsung chip to begin with. You running an app and showing them a codename for the Samsung A9 chip isn't much use to a store clerk.

So you show them the Internet tests. Store clerk is unconcerned as you have a perfectly fully working 6S.

Assuming you DO get an exchange, a store is not gonna let you open up brand new multiple iPhone 6S's for you to set up with your Apple ID and then download the app to test the chip.

So...don't worry about it because the steps required to get your iPhone changed are impractical.

Pachimari

It's not a problem it's intentional, the control center darkens the screen. When you slide control center back down it'll go to the brightness that you see when using the slider.
The control center itself darkens the screen but when I am using the brightness slider the screen will be brighter than when I let go. The screen darkens and thus the brightness slider isn't indicative of what I'll get.

Ninja Dom

Delete your mail account and re-add the account. Try opening mail app multiple times with no email account or a different email account and see what results you get.

The control center itself darkens the screen but when I am using the brightness slider the screen will be brighter than when I let go. The screen darkens and thus the brightness slider isn't indicative of what I'll get.

Is Auto-Brightness on or off? Does this behaviour happen regardless of if Auto-Brightness is on or off?

ZeroX03

Banned

Is Auto-Brightness on or off? Does this behaviour happen regardless of if Auto-Brightness is on or off?

Unless you have some auto settings screwing with things, the brightness slider should be indicative of what you'll get.

Pachimari

Unless you have some auto settings screwing with things, the brightness slider should be indicative of what you'll get.
It's not. Because when it is as bright as I want it dims right when I let go of the slider. It have been like this since I got it. And auto brightness is set to off.

Pretty weird. :(

it happens no matter if the auto brightness is on or off.

Guess Who

Banned
It's not. Because when it is as bright as I want it dims right when I let go of the slider. It have been like this since I got it. And auto brightness is set to off.

Pretty weird. :(

Here's what's happening.

1. When you open Control Center, the whole screen is dimmed.
2. While you're moving the brightness slider, the dimming effect caused by Control Center is disabled, so that you can judge what the brightness will be once Control Center is closed.
3. Once you let go of the brightness slider, the Control Center dimming effect kicks back in. This causes the image to look dimmer than while you were moving the brightness slider.
4. Once you close Control Center, the brightness should match the brightness you saw while moving the brightness slider.

tl;dr the brightness slider is indicative of what you'll get after Control Center is closed

What's a good protective case?

I don't really know how durable the 6S is, but the shape and texture of the phone makes it seem like it'd be pretty easy to slip out of my hand. I'd rather carry it naked but I have a feeling I'd regret that, so I just want something fairly slim that'll still protect it in a normal drop.

Also, are those tempered glass screen protectors actually useful? Kind of struck me as pointless on gorilla glass or whatever apple uses, but who knows.

numble

There's a new app called "Been Choice" that blocks ads in native apps. Get it while it lasts, I'm not sure Apple intended to approve it.

The way it works is it runs all your traffic through a VPN that blocks ad traffic. Its not using the contentblocker API for in-app adblocking. So I guess it isn't against the rules.

hwalker84

If I go to the Apple store and buy a T-Mobile 6s Plus in full but have AT&T will it be unlocked at the Apple store? These are exactly the same phone correct? I ask because my local Apple store have T-Mobile iPhone 6s Plus Space Grey 64GB but no AT&T's.

samn

The way it works is it runs all your traffic through a VPN that blocks ad traffic. Its not using the contentblocker API for in-app adblocking. So I guess it isn't against the rules.

In block mode it only routes ad-based traffic.

ruxtpin

Banned
Not impressed by the 6S battery. Browsing for 5 minutes on GAF and it drops 1%. Doesn't seem like much, but it adds up quick.

Juice

If I go to the Apple store and buy a T-Mobile 6s Plus in full but have AT&T will it be unlocked at the Apple store? These are exactly the same phone correct? I ask because my local Apple store have T-Mobile iPhone 6s Plus Space Grey 64GB but no AT&T's.

It won't be locked to begin with.

As an AT&T user you won't have access to a band 30 radio but that's probably not significant to you.

ruxtpin

Banned
But Neo GAF mobile site with 3D Touch is glorious isn't it?

At this rate I get 8 hours of life Whike reading a text heavy site. Apple.com says I should get 11 hours of browsing on wifi.

Edit: Been on wifi for 18 minutes and sent a few texts to the wife and been browsing. 95% down to 89% already.

hwalker84

It won't be locked to begin with.

As an AT&T user you won't have access to a band 30 radio but that's probably not significant to you.

Crap. Oh well I'll wait. Not sure if that band is deployed in my area but I'd rather not chance it.

edit: nevermind just reserved the T-Mobile version.

Top Bottom