• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

etta

my hard graphic balls
No i mean there are no reliable tests saying one is definitively better than the other. Or if one is, by how much.
Even checking which chip you have is a pointless reason to stress yourself out over nothing at the moment.
Ah, well obviously it's best to wait for someone like Anandtech to perform true tests. I was just saying that you can check which chip you have with that app.

*happy with phone*
Don't read macrumors. You would also have thought every iPhone was bending after being taken out of the box if you depended on macrumors.

Yea, I don't really read the comments there, I just use it for the news, but at times like these it is hilarious to read the comments.

samn

Here's some scientific-ish evidence

iPhone 6 battery score, normal distribution, what you would expect if there was just 1 type of phone

CQvZCxQWcAQKC9k.png
iPhone 6s, we see two peaks

Reckoner

iPhone 6 battery score, normal distribution, what you would expect if there was just 1 type of phone

lol this is bs

I don't like playing lotto with my purchases, especially when they are ~1000 euros. I hope they clarify and correct this situation asap.

samn

lol this is bs

too right it's BS. I really feel for the ones that pay for the 128gb model and find out they paid top dollar for the crappier model.

At least in the UK we have a 7 day return policy mandated across all retailers. So there's a way out if you get the Samsung.

I'm also baffled by how Apple could possibly represent its battery table as accurate.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a huge difference between a 6 and 6S? Curious to try iOS from android, and could get a used 6 as a trade for my Z3 (with a bit of cash on top from me)

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

This is actually pretty huge. There is obviously a difference between the two chips. The perormance isn't going to swing back in Samsung's favor for those thinking it will.

Still doubt Apple will exchange a Samsung for a new device. It's just a lottery that people must deal with.

Glad I have a TSMC 6S+ though since battery life is among the most important aspects of a phone to me.

Fjordson

Lame shit. My Samsung 6S battery has been pretty mediocre, wouldn't at all be surprised if the performance difference rumours are 100% true.

samn

Is there a huge difference between a 6 and 6S? Curious to try iOS from android, and could get a used 6 as a trade for my Z3 (with a bit of cash on top from me)

Yes, the 2GB of RAM in the 6s makes a huge difference, if not now then it will in future. Plus 3D Touch is a big new thing for iOS

Apple shouldn't have let this comparison become possible in the first place, tbh. They'll never let people make those exchanges (it's not even logistically possible) but now they'll have people throwing fits because their device isn't actually bad but it could've been better.

Should have just gone all TSMC with the 6S and all Samsung with the 6S+ or vice versa so no direct comparison would get made.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Apple shouldn't have let this comparison become possible in the first place, tbh. They'll never let people make those exchanges (it's not even logistically possible) but now they'll have people throwing fits because their device isn't actually bad but it could've been better.

Should have just gone all TSMC with the 6S and all Samsung with the 6S+ or vice versa so no direct comparison would get made.

I agree. If they had to split the supply of these parts, they should have split between the 6s and 6S+ so it would be more difficult for people to make these comparisons.

They are only causing themselves another PR issue.

Hattori

Banned
I'm team TSMC, but even if I wasn't -- I'm getting the 7 through the upgrade program so I really don't care about the resale value of my phone.
jK1gFd-SMkrtdIJdMw4X7wAPVbmhglZ4ACHyU3PLQTdDxiKgC_5XMXEsmg9ZB8DnBvqFLr3ZHRvSmW_8XeTSBonLqqvdpduOSQNyOGrT0NKsKNP_ZPPlYfkr0HghIPP5jnqLL3aYqxIKJuLiRFFJq9agSO_7Teo3qnZqIUAo8Rc-u_aTktLxlmDJqQDFP8i7pnZS_tiMx42_DaHuHKePSHRPwOsZVPL3TUXLobv4azpPm6emgnELW2cMcxvF0IdC3tvubWxCKf5ESPkCq9C1SL5MfNCYLVq1o8d88QojMHH8xHiDOhXjKOA6XEONvix4mDDHk6DgmswYdF-cR9y20mbeThYeR__vxWdtkoOAEad7fwhb0-TX-Uh0eBgrz2IQWI796-44mafiFyUTqtLY7GAiwMkhmOdXccZux6WGJCFw1S6IRODU4uTadyTH6iOqAvtosUMMrqJvolxul4c2LrzdD_6H3YBuK2Q2oPNc8GsWOsNU7OyqY4WWM-FPvGtKExRL8cnJ4Ovs_iEdL9AgO1RCLqKfSTefWDyy1E3sw84=w500-h275-no

My constant complaints over battery life seems to be founded in reality. My phone is a Samsung and my wife's is a TSMC. Her phones battery is much better then mine.

fucking Apple. I am seriously pissed off.

I agree. If they had to split the supply of these parts, they should have split between the 6s and 6S+ so it would be more difficult for people to make these comparisons.

They are only causing themselves another PR issue.
Here's hoping that landing this enormous contract is enough for TSMC to expand their capabilities to take on the iPhone 7 all by themselves.

I assume the difference is chalked up to FinFET or something like that, yeah? Since otherwise Samsung's smaller node process really ought to be taking the crown.

My constant complaints over battery life seems to be founded in reality. My phone is a Samsung and my wife's is a TSMC. Her phones battery is much better then mine.

fucking Apple. I am seriously pissed off.
Given that all Apple phones up until now have had Samsung-fabbed processors you're basically mad that she got a nice new bonus because your phone is technically the standard baseline.

Given that all Apple phones up until now have had Samsung-fabbed processors you're basically mad that she got a nice new bonus because your phone is technically the standard baseline.

I understand how its easy to look at someone like me and go.. oh BFD

however I really don't think its ok to have that large of a difference in chips in devices. Its a lottery now.

full disclosure I came from a 6+ so I knew my batter life would be worse either way, well its tough to see my wifes phone out perform mine every night because I lost the chip lottery.

Reckoner

Yet he payed the same.

I would be pissed off as well. This is, imo, worse than antenna gate and scuffgate. And I used a 4 and had a 5 of my own.

however I really don't think its ok to have that large of a difference in chips in devices. Its a lottery now.
Well, I agree that Apple shouldn't have let this happen, but they should've just segregated it by phone model. Technically the phone performance you're getting isn't *bad*. If all 6S models had the Samsung and the Plus got the TSMC chips it'd be fine; if all 6S models had the TSMC and the Plus got all the Samsung chips it'd be fine.

Nothing's "wrong" with your phone but I agree that Apple fucked up by making this comparison even possible.

Pepiope

full disclosure I came from a 6+ so I knew my batter life would be worse either way, well its tough to see my wifes phone out perform mine every night because I lost the chip lottery.
When she's not looking, steal her phone.

It's not a big deal.

Reckoner

Well, I agree that Apple shouldn't have let this happen, but they should've just segregated it by phone model. Technically the phone performance you're getting isn't *bad*. If all 6S models had the Samsung and the Plus got the TSMC chips it'd be fine; if all 6S models had the TSMC and the Plus got all the Samsung chips it'd be fine.

Nothing's "wrong" with your phone but I agree that Apple fucked up by making this comparison even possible.

That should have been the only way to deal with this. I'm at the point of ruling out the iPhone completely this year. I'll wait for the 7 if they don't make any kind of statement - which they most likely won't.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Here's hoping that landing this enormous contract is enough for TSMC to expand their capabilities to take on the iPhone 7 all by themselves.

I assume the difference is chalked up to FinFET or something like that, yeah? Since otherwise Samsung's smaller node process really ought to be taking the crown.

Many things factor into the performance of a chip. Just because it is a smaller package isn't a 100% guarantee it will be more power efficient.

What this tells us is Samsung is either lazy when it comes to the efficiency of their chips or that TSMC is awesome at cranking out efficiency in their chips.

Either way I'm hoping Apple's supply chain can move away from Samsung for the next round of devices.

Ambient80

She has Rose Gold thats too fabulous for me. lol

Rose Gold = Bros Gold

Embrace the bro within you.

Seriously, I did and most of the time it looks more like a copper finish than a really bright pink.) Someone today actually said they didn't know Apple was making a tan colored phone, just a new pink one. Lol.

Many things factor into the performance of a chip. Just because it is a smaller package isn't a 100% guarantee it will be more power efficient.

What this tells us is Samsung is either lazy when it comes to the efficiency of their chips or that TSMC is awesome at cranking out efficiency in their chips.

Either way I'm hoping Apple's supply chain can move away from Samsung for the next round of devices.
Likewise. We know they're basically buying every single chip they possibly can through TSMC, but the Apple A-series chips are such a goddamn huge contract that it's hard for any one third-party fabricator to fulfill it alone.

Shun

Rose Gold = Bros Gold

Embrace the bro within you.

Real talk, great fashion statement and nicer than the piss yellow gold. Flashier than silver. More color than space grey.

Here are pictures of the Rose Gold Tunewear Frame x Frame. I love that they added the silver lining finish onto the case. I love this case a lot. Feels and looks premium,

Red

If I'm reading this correctly, even the Sammy chip in the 6s performs better than last generation. So, some small consolation?

Pepiope

Real talk, great fashion statement and nicer than the piss yellow gold. Flashier than silver. More color than space grey.

Here are pictures of the Rose Gold Tunewear Frame x Frame. I love that they added the silver lining finish onto the case. I love this case a lot. Feels and looks premium,
I'm actually gonna try that Dbrand skin thing instead of a case. Ever give that a try? I hope it doesn't come off easily once it gets hot.

Turrican2

But I would miss the widgets :(. I love having my calendar, notes and whatever I need right on the home screens. Im still seriously considering the iPhone for the first time in my life. The 6s is a sexy beast... looks way better than anything in the android world, except maybe the xperia z5 which i also consider buying...

Trust me you don't want to buy the Galaxy S6 - it has too many flaws.
I was thinking about getting the Z5, the Z5 Premium or the iPhone 6S.
Loved the Xperias during my hand ons at IFA in Berlin but couldn't wait anymore and bought a 64GB 6S - glad I did it.

TSMC chip all the way!

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Just got mine. Samsung. Oh well.

#BrosGold

Anyways, is there a consensus on what the best content blocker is?

Shun

I'm actually gonna try that Dbrand skin thing instead of a case. Ever give that a try? I hope it doesn't come off easily once it gets hot.

I've only used a skin once and I didn't really like it. It applies well but if you're caseless like me most of the time the skin would eventually peel off and not look as good due to constant use and taking in and out of pockets.

I'd worry more about normal usage eventually peeling off the skin than heat.

For me it's almost always no case, but I saw these bumpers and I couldn't resist myself since most of the time you can't even tell that it's a case.

Wow. The Rose Gold actually looks really good in that photo set, and the Frame x Frame doesn't look too shabby either.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've backed up my photos using icloud photo library. Then restored all the photos (in full res) on another phone. Now, on that new phone, when I connect it to itunes, I see that the amount of photos on it is correct (5GB, which is the amount backed up) but I also see that out of nowhere, there 6GB "Other" data. I've never had that much other data, not even on my nearly full 128GB iphone 6.

There's literally 5GB of photos and 6GB of other data (which I know wasn't there before I pulled photos down from icloud library) and nothing else on the phone. What the hell happened?

lol, got the rose gold 128GB and found out it's a Samsung chip.

I'm not that bothered by the battery life shit because it's still okay for the way I use it, and I always have a power bank in my bag anyway, but the heat issues that some people mentioned are definitely a point of concern. I'm hoping, but doubtful that apple can do something to correct that shit,

I'd heard that they were outsourcing chip production to the two companies before the resulting issues were really noticed, but yeah, this only serves to reaffirm my belief that having more than one company making the same part just seems to be a bad idea when it comes to quality control.

Shenmue

Banned
So pretty much all rose gold 128gb are the Samsung chip? How does Apple not test this stuff to see that the two manufacturers are providing identical chips? I mean that's literally the most obvious thing to do when you have different suppliers.

So pretty much all rose gold 128gb are the Samsung chip? How does Apple not test this stuff to see that the two manufacturers are providing identical chips? I mean that's literally the most obvious thing to do when you have different suppliers.

I'm going to assume they had some idea what was going on. Samsung and TSMC are using different fabrication processes for the chips, so I'd find it hard to believe that they wouldn't measure for any differences in power consumption.

Top Bottom