• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

iNvid02

just had the phone freak out like people have been talking about, it turned itself off and the home button was very hot, like the touch id sensor was overheating. home/power button reset got the phone rebooted but this could happen again, don't think they've responded to the complaints yet, i hope its soemthing that can be fixed with an iOS update though

Ninja Dom

just had the phone freak out like people have been talking about, it turned itself off and the home button was very hot, like the touch id sensor was overheating. home/power button reset got the phone rebooted but this could happen again, don't think they've responded to the complaints yet, i hope its soemthing that can be fixed with an iOS update though

That's the same observation that the Macrumors forum users have seen. Are you on 9.0.2? It also happens regardless of if your TSMC or Samsung. Happened to me only once just after I first got the phone and was still on 9.0.1. Nothing since though.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm going to go by my local Verizon store, but does anyone know how they handle returns if you think your phone battery is defunct and want a larger phone? Been a week since purchase.

Planning on buying from the Apple store - is there a particular carrier which has *all* bands?

Well, yes. All the models have the same bands included, it's just AT&T ALSO has Band 30. So that would be the one that has all the bands

However, only AT&T uses Band 30, so if you don't have AT&T, it doesn't matter

Now, if the question is "is there a carrier that uses all the bands" the answer is no. But every model from every carrier can be used on every network without issue

Zel3

I'm going to go by my local Verizon store, but does anyone know how they handle returns if you think your phone battery is defunct and want a larger phone? Been a week since purchase.
Do you have a 6s? I'm not impressed with the battery on that phone, I'm gonna see if I can get my girlfriend a 6s plus instead.

hwalker84

Well, yes. All the models have the same bands included, it's just AT&T ALSO has Band 30. So that would be the one that has all the bands

Now, if the question is "is there a carrier that uses all the bands" the answer is no. But every model from every carrier can be used on every network without issue

The big question is what markets even have Band 30. The phone I was actually waiting for doesn't have Band 30 so I said whatever and reserved the T-Mobile version.

The big question is what markets even have Band 30. The phone I was actually waiting for doesn't have Band 30 so I said whatever and reserved the T-Mobile version.

According to an AT&T forums answer from September here, there are no Band 30 areas yet

AT&T isn't providing a map anywhere, so either that's true or it's rolled out in so few places they don't feel like bragging/advertising yet

ruxtpin

Banned
Do you have a 6s? I'm not impressed with the battery on that phone, I'm gonna see if I can get my girlfriend a 6s plus instead.

Yeah, 6S. This battery is sucking. Didn't want the super large but I can't deal with this shit. I think the guy mentioned a $100 restock fee, but I can't remember.

Ninja Dom

Can we install our own live wallpapers? I want one that moves all the time :(

You can make a Live Photo taken on your 6S into a live wallpaper on the Lock Screen. It doesn't animate if you use the picture as wallpaper for your Home Screen.

Also, although other iOS devices can display Live Photos, they only animate as Lock Screen wallpapers on the 6S phones and Watch.

kaskade

That's kind of shitty if the battery life is that much worse on the Samsung between the two chips. That's not a small difference.

edit: bit the bullet and checked, TSMC chip. I can rest easy now. Felt like a schrodinger's cat situation there.

gruenel

Girlfriends 6s got really warm and dropped %50 battery in about an hour. Back to AT&T it goes.

How long have you had the phone? It might still be indexing, restoring backups etc...

Sorry but it sounds like you're jumping the gun a bit since that doesn't sound like a hardware issue.

Zel3

How long have you had the phone? It might still be indexing, restoring backups etc...

Sorry but it sounds like you're jumping the gun a bit since that doesn't sound like a hardware issue.
12 days or so. I like to think it wouldn't be indexing anymore?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Does the ATT model have LTE band 12 support for T-Mobile?

iNvid02

That's the same observation that the Macrumors forum users have seen. Are you on 9.0.2? It also happens regardless of if your TSMC or Samsung. Happened to me only once just after I first got the phone and was still on 9.0.1. Nothing since though.

I was on 9.0.1 when it happened, but updated straight after lol.

Does the ATT model have LTE band 12 support for T-Mobile?

Yep!

I2J62LP.png

You can see the only different band is Band 30 on the first model

Same here two days ago - hot, hot, hot home button and nothing on the screen even when plugged in to my computer.

I freaked out thinking I would have to go into recovery mode, but after a hard reset everything was back to normal.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What's the best way to move just photos/videos from one iphone to another?

I do have full itunes and icloud backup from my older phone, but I've been dragging those backups since literally iphone 3GS, so god knows what's in there anymore, and I'm thinking it might be time to finally start fresh. But I can't leave all the photos behind.

jts

...hate me...

I do have full itunes and icloud backup from my older phone, but I've been dragging those backups since literally iphone 3GS, so god knows what's in there anymore, and I'm thinking it might be time to finally start fresh. But I can't leave all the photos behind.
iCloud Photos lad.

kaskade

Do you have iCloud Photo library enabled? Settings>Photos & Camera> iCloud Photo Library. It's nice because Apple split up the photos from the phone backups so if that's all you care about you can just start fresh and have the pictures still. You'll only lose messages and settings stuff.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Do you have iCloud Photo library enabled? Settings>Photos & Camera> iCloud Photo Library. It's nice because Apple split up the photos from the phone backups so if that's all you care about you can just start fresh and have the pictures still. You'll only lose messages and settings stuff.
Yeah, I was just reading what that does and how exactly does it. I wasn't sure what was the difference between that and the Photstream. Thing is, I don't like uploading any photos online anywhere, but I guess I don't have much of a choice here. I'm sure I can delete the online backup once I move it over.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm reading the comments on MacRumors and people saying their 6S battery is worse than their one year old 6. That's awful.

Ninja Dom

I have a 6S+ with the Samsung chip, is it worth it to go to the Apple store and get it changed?

Nothing you can do about it.

The only way to find out is to open up a fresh iPhone, set it up, log in with your Apple ID and run the app.

No store is going to allow you to do that on multiple brand new units just so you can find a TSMC unit for exchange.

rawd

Oooh I wonder which one mine will have. Should be here in a week.. It's like the lottery!!

Work paid for mine so I don't give a

Bloodrage

Banned
I guess I got lucky with the TSMC on my 6S+. I would have been pretty annoyed if I had to go exchange it after waiting so long to finally have it.

How do you check if you have a samsung chip on a 6s Plus?
Download Lirum Info Lite from the AppStore. It will display your info as soon as you open the app.

N66mAP = TSMC
N66AP = Samsung

I tested it last night and it worked.

I have a 6S+ with the Samsung chip, is it worth it to go to the Apple store and get it changed?

It's not worth wasting your time. For starters, all these people doing the benchmarking are doing it through different parameters and variances. Wait until a reliable source like Geekbench or Anandtech do their own testing to confirm this.

Your other issue will be trying to get a TMSC based iPhone, you're litterally gonna have a 50/50 chance of getting one when you try to get a replacement. What excuse are you going to come up with to get the replacement when your iPhone works perfectly fine?

Just wait, and if you are seeing awful battery life on your iPhone, go to the Apple Store and have them test it for you. If the battery is actually bad, they'll replace it under warranty.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm reading the comments on MacRumors and people saying their 6S battery is worse than their one year old 6. That's awful.

Mine is pretty crappy. Was browsing for about 2 hours earlier today, via wifi. Sent a few texts and have occasionally logged onto to grab emails (since push is turned off) ... I'm at 47% now. This is with brightness turned down and nearly every other power saving measure activated. So 715am I disconnected from power, 344pm here now and less than half left after - what I consider - little use.

Bloodrage

Banned
My 6S Plus battery lasts all day even after playing a bunch of games extensively. I don't feel the need to bring my charger with me at all anymore. I'm very impressed.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Huh? There's an app that tells you.

No i mean there are no reliable tests saying one is definitively better than the other. Or if one is, by how much.

Even checking which chip you have is a pointless reason to stress yourself out over nothing at the moment.

Vyer

*happy with phone*

*reads post on Reddit*

*'omg oh no what do I do should I return?!?'*

#CHIPGATE

Picked the 6s up Saturday night, this is my first smartphone. Why did I wait so long?

Congrats. Welcome to the future.

Don't read macrumors. You would also have thought every iPhone was bending after being taken out of the box if you depended on macrumors.

jts

...hate me...
^tbf, #bendgate was taken seriously by Apple, in a situation very similar to #antennagate (and #scuffgate? huh).

The fact the new iPhone is tougher gives me much more confidence to get it.

In any case, I’m thinking about not even testing the phone for chip maker.

Lu8PSOB.jpg

Maximus.

Nothing you can do about it.

The only way to find out is to open up a fresh iPhone, set it up, log in with your Apple ID and run the app.

No store is going to allow you to do that on multiple brand new units just so you can find a TSMC unit for exchange.

ding ding ding.

Top Bottom