• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

ZeroX03

Banned
I got my 6S Plus yesterday, so far everything is perfect except for one pretty significant thing. The battery life is much better, everything is perfectly smooth and it multitasks like a dream.

The big problem is that it will randomly lose internet connection. It's happened four times now, for 5-15 minutes the phone will just completely lose the ability to connect to the internet. Wi-Fi or 4G. It happened when I was trying to activate the phone and has happened twice yesterday and once today. It says it's connected to Wi-Fi or 4G, but nothing will load on any app. This happened on both stock iOS and 9.0.2, and not in areas where there could be data interference. It's the only blemish on an otherwise great experience. Not sure if it's an iOS or hardware fault, as AFAIK the only bugs have been cellular related and this affects Wi-Fi too. If it happens over the weekend I'll probably exchange the phone as obviously I can't have the internet die on me at important times.

S¡mon

Banned
I got my 6S Plus yesterday, so far everything is perfect except for one pretty significant thing. The battery life is much better, everything is perfectly smooth and it multitasks like a dream.

The big problem is that it will randomly lose internet connection. It's happened four times now, for 5-15 minutes the phone will just completely lose the ability to connect to the internet. Wi-Fi or 4G. It happened when I was trying to activate the phone and has happened twice yesterday and once today. It says it's connected to Wi-Fi or 4G, but nothing will load on any app. This happened on both stock iOS and 9.0.2, and not in areas where there could be data interference. It's the only blemish on an otherwise great experience. Not sure if it's an iOS or hardware fault, as AFAIK the only bugs have been cellular related and this affects Wi-Fi too. If it happens over the weekend I'll probably exchange the phone as obviously I can't have the internet die on me at important times.
Check if WiFi Assist is on, under network settings. That might be the culprit.

So pretty much all rose gold 128gb are the Samsung chip? How does Apple not test this stuff to see that the two manufacturers are providing identical chips? I mean that's literally the most obvious thing to do when you have different suppliers.

That's not how chips work. For starters, no two chips are identical. Ever. Every chip made has its own individual defects which affects its performance. The bar is set for performance and power consumption, the chips are tested, binned if there are multiple speed ratings of a chip and anything you get in excess of that bar is gravy.

hwalker84

Couple of questions for someone that hasn't been on iPhone since right before the 4s came out as a daily driver.

Is there anyway to get apps to publish information on the lock screen? I'd love to just hit the power button to wake the phone up and see the current weather in that massive empty space.

Had a few other questions that I can't think of at this time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is pushbullet still not compatible between iPhone and Windows for messaging? I love that on my android phone being able to read and quick reply to stuff. Considering trying out an iPhone but this would be a big loss unless there is a workaround or alternative

jts

...hate me...
I’m sure that both chips are up to the minimum spec, just that the TMSC one goes a bit above and beyond. It’s just like a bonus for lucky ones, but it will still certainly have an impact on every buyer, from costumer satisfaction (even if your phone is good you don’t like to know that someone else paid exactly the same to get an ever better one) and stuff like resale value (used iPhone 6s 64GB Space Grey ‘TSMC’ - buy now, great deal!!).

I’m a rather infrequent upgrader so this has been bothering more than it probably should. I just can’t shake the feeling off getting a 1000€ phone that may not be as good as it could be and stick with it for 2-3 years. It will probably be extra grating towards the end of its life as software gets more demanding and the battery wears out.

Sales open up tomorrow here and I’m thinking of buying it online, running a test on it while still in its plastic peel and just return it if it’s not the right one. The consumers laws here allow for that return. And I’ll not keep playing the lottery afterwards, just keep my old phone and wait to see what are the developments on that front. Hell, maybe even buy a confirmed TSMC one off a reseller.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Couple of questions for someone that hasn't been on iPhone since right before the 4s came out as a daily driver.

Is there anyway to get apps to publish information on the lock screen? I'd love to just hit the power button to wake the phone up and see the current weather in that massive empty space.

You might not want to hear this but... get the watch. It's perfect as an extension of the phone for very briefly checking info like this.

::runs::

Reckoner

I’m sure that both chips are up to the minimum spec, just that the TMSC one goes a bit above and beyond. It’s just like a bonus for lucky ones, but it will still certainly have an impact on every buyer, from costumer satisfaction (even if your phone is good you don’t like to know that someone else paid exactly the same to get an ever better one) and stuff like resale value (used iPhone 6s 64GB Space Grey ‘TSMC’ - buy now, great deal!!).

I’m a rather infrequent upgrader so this has been bothering more than it probably should. I just can’t shake the feeling off getting a 1000€ phone that may not be as good as it could be and stick with it for 2-3 years. It will probably be extra grating towards the end of its life as software gets more demanding and the battery wears out.

Sales open up tomorrow here and I’m thinking of buying it online, running a test on it while still in its plastic peel and just return it if it’s not the right one. The consumers laws here allow for that return. And I’ll not keep playing the lottery afterwards, just keep my old phone and wait to see what are the developments on that front. Hell, maybe even buy a confirmed TSMC one off a reseller.

I would have to buy it on a physical store, so I'm not putting up with the risk. I'll wait for the 7 or 7s since I don't even like the 6's design and form factor.

Number45

Ugh, just decided to pick up the 6S+ and now I find out I need to try and get a specific chipset to get the best from it. I hate this kind of thing! :'(

Also, nowhere in the UK seems to sell the Speck Candyshell Clear.

EDIT: Just found it, up for pre-order.

You can pull weather down from the notifications. It's another action and not entirely what you're looking for but it's a solution if you're sold on the iPhone and don't want to pick up the Watch.

Matticers

So I want to get a 6s plus but I don't want to be waiting until November to get one through one of the carriers or Apple. What's my best bet? Ebay and craigslist? CL seems a bit shady to me and I don't know if I'd want to go that route. I guess I can see if there are any decent deals on ebay.

samn

Fucking hell, I have a Samsung. Will the Apple Store let me swap it out or no? This is really shitty.

They won't, because it's still at the standard at which it's marketed - the battery hour figures they give seem to be for the Samsung one.

Red

So I want to get a 6s plus but I don't want to be waiting until November to get one through one of the carriers or Apple. What's my best bet? Ebay and craigslist? CL seems a bit shady to me and I don't know if I'd want to go that route. I guess I can see if there are any decent deals on ebay.

Every store I've been to (Best Buy, Apple, T-Mobile) has had some in stock. You should be able to walk in and buy one (but not necessarily the model or color you may want).

Matticers

Every store I've been to (Best Buy, Apple, T-Mobile) has had some in stock. You should be able to walk in and buy one (but not necessarily the model or color you may want).

Hm. I've just been looking at store stock through the various sites but they all say sold out and none coming in until late October/early-mid November. But I'll try heading into some stores first and seeing how that goes. I figured it would be a wasted trip but maybe there's some hope. I'm only slightly picky about the color.

Wreav

Banned
I've never been able to get a contact's picture to go full screen when they call. I forever just have them in little circles.

I've gone so far as to set pictures that the phone itself took, thinking that should be high enough resolution, but no.

Any ideas?

Red

Hm. I've just been looking at store stock through the various sites but they all say sold out and none coming in until late October/early-mid November. But I'll try heading into some stores first and seeing how that goes. I figured it would be a wasted trip but maybe there's some hope. I'm only slightly picky about the color.
Maybe it's regional. I hope you don't waste a trip! Good luck.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I've never been able to get a contact's picture to go full screen when they call. I forever just have them in little circles.

I've gone so far as to set pictures that the phone itself took, thinking that should be high enough resolution, but no.

Any ideas?

are you syncing contacts with Gmail? This was a well known bug with gmail for years. I'm guessing still is. I turned off gmail contacts and only sync with icloud almost partly because of it.

Wreav

Banned
are you syncing contacts with Gmail? This was a well known bug with gmail for years. I'm guessing still is. I turned off gmail contacts and only sync with icloud almost partly because of it.
Yeah, actually, because it's the cleanest way to sync both Android and iOS devices IMO. That sucks.

Yeah, actually, because it's the cleanest way to sync both Android and iOS devices IMO. That sucks.

I could've sworn that at some point Apple stopped doing the full blown contact picture on the iPhone and moved to the small circle contact picture when someone made a call. It's been a while, and I know some of my contacts used to have the small picture and others the full screen one, but I haven't seen them go full screen for the longest.

kinggroin

Banned

Any ideas?

You're doing something wrong. There's no way it's an issue with ios.

Reformat, try again.

Edit: Googy pls

Any ideas?

It's a weird issue with Google Sync & iOS. If you manually change a contact's picture on the iPhone, that contact's image should be fullscreen.

I never bothered because it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Nephtis

How long do you guys figure until there's a steady supple of iPhone 6S+?

I'm starting to see 64gb, but I don't want that. I want that 128 model, damnit. I don't even expect to find anything, but I am still there at 7:59 hitting refresh like crazy so I can see what they put up D:

Fucking Tucson, man.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Whelp dropped my 6s+ today and it's scuffed up pretty badly. I was getting into the car and it fell out my pockets. The only drawback to being team no case. Oh well, I'll probably try to get the 7+ next year anyways.

So pretty much all rose gold 128gb are the Samsung chip? How does Apple not test this stuff to see that the two manufacturers are providing identical chips? I mean that's literally the most obvious thing to do when you have different suppliers.

I have a 128gb Rose Gold and it has a TSMC chip.

I thought it was about 50/50?

Dougald

Whelp dropped my 6s+ today and it's scuffed up pretty badly. I was getting into the car and it fell out my pockets. The only drawback to being team no case. Oh well, I'll probably try to get the 7+ next year anyways.

I already scratched mine somehow, to be honest it lasted a week which is pretty good going for me and phones. It's like dinging a new car, now you can use it like the tool it is instead of babying it

borghe

It's a weird issue with Google Sync & iOS. If you manually change a contact's picture on the iPhone, that contact's image should be fullscreen.

I never bothered because it's not a dealbreaker for me.

even when you change it afterward on the iphone, google will eventually force it back to thumbnail size. there is nothing you can do.

it's a stupid bug, but it seems only affects contact sync with iOS... so it is unlikely google will ever fix it. fortunately I don't need my contacts on google for anything, so I just use iCloud for everything except for mail.

Robot Pants

Ive been having this problem with my 5 for the last week now out of nowhere. In fact im having it now.
I think its IOS9

hwalker84

Another iOS question. Anyway to link Facebook contacts to actual contacts other than the automatic process? Any identifier you can add to the contact? It only sync'd 20% of my facebook contacts and I'm meticulous with my contacts. First last, name for everybody.

borghe

Another iOS question. Anyway to link Facebook contacts to actual contacts other than the automatic process? Any identifier you can add to the contact? It only sync'd 20% of my facebook contacts and I'm meticulous with my contacts. First last, name for everybody.

yes. you literally tap "link contact" at the very bottom of the page when editing a contact.

borghe

I don't see facebook contacts when I tried that.

do you have facebook syncing contacts? check in the app settings (actual Facebook app settings in the settings app). If the app is syncing, it should spam your Contact list with like ALL of your facebook friends.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I already scratched mine somehow, to be honest it lasted a week which is pretty good going for me and phones. It's like dinging a new car, now you can use it like the tool it is instead of babying it
Yep exactly. I don't feel the need to baby the phone anymore, besides I take care of my devices. I'm still for ever and always caseless til I die.

hwalker84

do you have facebook syncing contacts? check in the app settings (actual Facebook app settings in the settings app). If the app is syncing, it should spam your Contact list with like ALL of your facebook friends.
Yep. So far only 47 including myself out of the 488 contacts show up after 24 hours. Wish this worked more like windows phone.

Dazzler

Got on board the 6S train yesterday

Picked up the silver 16GB model. Don't need much storage as all my music comes through spotify

Upgraded from a Nexus 5 and loving it so far

borghe

Yep. So far only 47 including myself out of the 488 contacts show up after 24 hours. Wish this worked more like windows phone.

reading up, this appears to be a limitation of facebook, not of iOS or the iOS app. Apparently it has to do with their Contact info they have setup in their About page. If they have an email, they always sync.. If they don't have email, it seems to be a different combination if they sync.

Don't use that. Terrible idea to approve a profile from China.

For those that have used it, I would encourage a wipe asap and restore a backup from before you used the profile.

Seriously, approving a profile from an unknown source seems like an awful idea. There's a free app on the app store that can also show you which CPU you're using.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member

Likely that the TSMC chips are more frequently exceeding the minimum spec where as the Samsungs are only just meeting the grade.

Ninja Dom

Seriously, approving a profile from an unknown source seems like an awful idea. There's a free app on the app store that can also show you which CPU you're using.

Seems Apple pulled Lirium Device Info Lite. It's still in my Purchases but it doesn't appear on a search for it on the front screen of the App Store.

Top Bottom