• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Akira

Now I can't decide on the 6S vs. 6S Plus. I was intent on the 6S since it's the same size as my Nexus 5. But OIS on the Plus is seriously tempting me. I'll stop by the Apple store to get a handle on the two phones.

Now I can't decide on the 6S vs. 6S Plus. I was intent on the 6S since it's the same size as my Nexus 5. But OIS on the Plus is seriously tempting me. I'll stop by the Apple store to get a handle on the two phones.

Honestly

Honestly?

Honestly

Once you get used to the bigger screen size, it becomes impossible to go back

I second this

Third. The drawbacks of are outweighed by the good. It has a vastly superior browser experience, and things like maps, typing is easier.

It fills your entire pocket and in a lot of cases you need to use two hands, but it cannot be beat I think. The thing with touch is that your fingers are taking up real estate on the display. It needs to be large enough to compensate so you can see despite that.

Akira

I'll have to try it out. I mean, I've quickly handled the Plus before but it's never made me want to get it over the 6. I was hoping the 6S would get OIS, but no luck. The videos and photos posted by Apple from the new phones are beautiful.

Honestly

Honestly?

Honestly

I second this

Third. The drawbacks of are outweighed by the good. It has a vastly superior browser experience, and things like maps, typing is easier.

It fills your entire pocket and in a lot of cases you need to use two hands, but it cannot be beat I think. The thing with touch is that your fingers are taking up real estate on the display. It needs to be large enough to compensate so you can see despite that.

Don't tempt me, Frodos!

Tomorrow I go back to the Apple store to better test the two versions.

Reckoner

I had some rough times with my Nexus 6, especially when I was at a music festival in the crowd. It sometimes feels awkward and uncomfortable to use. But besides that, for media consumption, browsing, etc. it's really cool. I'm going small this time.

Not trying to start another war here but I have to say that it's quite amusing seeing some usual android fans in this thread that are thinking of buying an iphone.

DCS

Banned
Honestly

Honestly?

Honestly

Not impossible at all. I went from the 5S to the 6+ when they came out last year and the screen is amazing, it really is great having access to a huge display all of the time. The battery life is outstanding as you'd expect, mine regularly goes two days without charging under normal use. Reachability is kind of lame and doesn't work half the time, the exclusive 6+ features are pretty much bullshit unless you record video a lot. The extra money you pay over the standard 6/6S is for the screen and battery, nothing else. My main issue is usability, I have huge hands and still can't reach the top corner of the screen. Wouldn't bother me so much if reachability was reliable or if it dragged notifications down with the screen, which it currently doesn't. When you're using the device with two hands or lying on the couch etc it is outstanding.

Use it one handed or when you're out and about and it becomes a pain. It is very noticeable in your pocket - IS THAT AN APPLE IPHONE SIX PLUS IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST GLAD TO SEE ME HA HA HA - and can be uncomfortable when you're sitting in a car or something but I can overlook that. The real issue is one handed use, you never realise how much you do this - on the toilet, replying to a message while walking through town, masturbating, cooking etc - it's made a very unpleasant experience due to the top-heavy weight balance more than anything. So is using it for calls, unless you're the BFG you look and feel pretty stupid. Like I said I have huge hands and still find it uncomfortable to use one handed. The Apple Watch makes this a little less irritating as you can perform your quick interactions from there but even then I still get annoyed with the phone size. I'd also say that the iPhone 6 (and even the 5S) have better performance, there are a few quirks and issues using the 6+ that are not on the smaller models.

Overall I'd say it depends on your lifestyle - it is not an iPad replacement. If you have an Apple Watch, massive mutated hands, rarely make actual calls, or just chuck your phone in your bag then the larger size will be less irritating, if you have anything other than late 90's baggy jeans it can feel a little unpleasant in the pocket. If you're a 'normal' sized person I'd be prepared to get annoyed by it. But when you're sat comfortably with both hands available it is the best iPhone by far. I have decided that the negatives just slightly edge out the positives and will be selling mine for a standard 6S.

Mortemis

Banned
So we should go get on jump on demand before the Iphone 6s+ launch or join at the time of purchase of the Iphone 6s+? If we join now we lose one of the 3 upgrades per year when we get the Iphone 6s+ right?

There won't be a difference in price if you hop on now or on preorder day, but idk if it'll be easier to sign up earlier. I'm hoping they can get more info on the preorder process tomorrow.

Not trying to start another war here but I have to say that it's quite amusing seeing some usual android fans in this thread that are thinking of buying an iphone.

When your upgrade year is skip year 2015, it's tough. I'm sure android phones will be more compelling next year when qualcomm gets their shit together and marshmallow takes over from the POS known as lollipop for the majority of the phones out there.

big_z

ive used both and I prefer the 6. the battery life on the plus is awesome but its just too big and feels bad in the hand. I don't watch movies or play many games on my phone so for me the 6 is more practical.

imo a 5" screen and smaller chin/forehead would have made a perfect sized phone. maybe when the next body refresh happens.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just read about 1080p/120fps video. I'll definitely use that.

Impressions on 3D touch seem good. One if those things I'll really need hands on with.

Just read about 1080p/120fps video. I'll definitely use that.

Impressions on 3D touch seem good. One if those things I'll really need hands on with.

It can record standard video in 4K30, 1080p30 or 60, 1080p120 is reserved for slow-motion video. Slo-mo can go either 1080p120 or 720p240

As in, I believe it records in 120fps for slowdown purposes, but actual playback is 30fps

Hmm wonder if I should get this.

Still have an iPhone 4, maybe it'd be best to just wait another year for the 7 rather than get a 6 revision.

ZeroX03

Banned
It can record standard video in 4K30, 1080p30 or 60, 1080p120 is reserved for slow-motion video. Slo-mo can go either 1080p120 or 720p240

As in, I believe it records in 120fps for slowdown purposes, but actual playback is 30fps

I wouldn't being playing back the footage on the phone so it's not an issue for me.

I wouldn't being playing back the footage on the phone so it's not an issue for me.

No I mean the file is encoded as 30fps, not 120fps no matter where you play it

Wait, I totally lied. Just did some tests. It records and encodes as 1280x720 in 120fps for 120fps slow-mo and records and encodes as 240fps in 240fps slow-mo. At least according to the metadata

ZeroX03

Banned
No I mean the file is encoded as 30fps, not 120fps no matter where you play it

Wait, I totally lied. Just did some tests. It records and encodes as 1280x720 in 120fps for 120fps slow-mo and records and encodes as 240fps in 240fps slow-mo. At least according to the metadata

I know, I like to play with the slow mo footage on my 6. :) But the muddy 720p has always held back the clarity.

My sister's on AT&T with an unlimited plan. Does going to Next allow her to still keep her plan or does she have to sign up with another 2y contract?

My sister's on AT&T with an unlimited plan. Does going to Next allow her to still keep her plan or does she have to sign up with another 2y contract?

She can keep her unlimited by going with Next, but there would be basically no benefits to doing so if she really wants to keep unlimited data. She'd be paying a lot more money for no benefits

Essentially going with a Next plan only saves you money if you're NOT on an Unlimited plan, but one of their new ones. This is because they discount the monthly access fee. if she's on Unlimited, they don't do that. So her bill goes from Data + Monthly fee to Data + Monthly Fee + Phone payments. The only advantage she'd get from being in a Next plan is not being technically locked in for 24 months, since she could pay off the phone whenever she wanted. And she could turn in her iPhone for an early upgrade depending on which Next plan she went with, but her monthly bill absolutely would go up. Since she wouldn't be getting the line access discount thanks to the unlimited data, she'd really only be adding to her bill

Now that said, you can also only get a 2 year contract on AT&T's online store, not at anywhere like an Apple Store or Best Buy

Yeah but I just mean wouldn't a new number have more noteworthy changes than a revision of the 6? Unless that's not how apple does it...

It depends on what's important. A new number generally changes the entire framework, an S upgrade takes that framework and improves all the internals. Then the next number takes all those improvements and rolls them into a new framework, then the S upgrade for that refines it, etc

Basically every year is better than the last. Sometimes a year is more different than the last as well, if going from an S to a mainline, but it depends on what changes you're looking for: radical or internal

She can keep her unlimited by going with Next, but there would be basically no benefits to doing so if she really wants to keep unlimited data. She'd be paying a lot more money for no benefits

Essentially going with a Next plan only saves you money if you're NOT on an Unlimited plan, but one of their new ones. This is because they discount the monthly access fee. if she's on Unlimited, they don't do that. So her bill goes from Data + Monthly fee to Data + Monthly Fee + Phone payments. The only advantage she'd get from being in a Next plan is not being technically locked in for 24 months, since she could pay off the phone whenever she wanted.
How much is the extra monthly access fee usually?

Will be replacing my Nexus 5 with an iPhone 6S+ (64GB/grey).

I tried the 6+ out in the Apple Store and it felt way too big but I think I could get used to it. I really want a bigger phone now. Plus, it has a better resolution/ppi (1080p/401ppi vs 750p/326ppi) and better battery compared to the 6S. If I can't get used to it then I'll just return it for the 6S.

Not sure if I'm gonna pre order tomorrow or not. Might wait a couple months.

TheZink

Will be replacing my Nexus 5 with an iPhone 6S+ (64GB/grey).

I tried the 6+ out in the Apple Store and it felt way too big but I think I could get used to it. I really want a bigger phone now. Plus, it has a better resolution/ppi (1080p/401ppi vs 750p/326ppi) and better battery compared to the 6S. If I can't get used to it then I'll just return it for the 6S.

Not sure if I'm gonna pre order tomorrow or not. Might wait a couple months.
Everyone I know that has a plus said they love it. I'm gonna give it a shot skinny jeans and all.

Blackhead

Redarse
My main issue is usability, I have huge hands and still can't reach the top corner of the screen...

But when you're sat comfortably with both hands available it is the best iPhone by far. I have decided that the negatives just slightly edge out the positives and will be selling mine for a standard 6S.

Have you considered a nobiggi (or one of the other alternatives):

pB3yRhW.jpg

ZtZMJUp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2W9CpiUcss

I agree with the sentiment that it's really hard to go back, as others have expressed. However, I still don't love the jumbo sized phone. I have pretty big hands and I still have trouble using it one handed. I've never dropped a phone or broken one before until I was using the 6Plus. I seriously drop or almost drop this thing a few times a month. It's a real love/hate relationship for me.

Cheech

Hmm wonder if I should get this.

Still have an iPhone 4, maybe it'd be best to just wait another year for the 7 rather than get a 6 revision.

I think you'd be better off with a Nokia at this point than an iPhone 4. That phone is ancient garbage. If money is tight, just get a 5S, that phone is 1000% better than the 4.

big_z

For those that flip their iphones yearly how much do you sell them for providing its still in mint condition and unlocked?

Kama_1082

Banned
I'm really interested in the iPhone payment thing that's similar to all the other carriers. I may end up doing it next year when my contract with my ex-girlfriend expires.

Is there any more info about it anywhere?
It requires a credit check, credit card and the 24 month loan

Deku Tree

If I am 12 months into an ATT next plan with a 18 month payment plan on my phone (I guess six months left)... Is it better for me to try to switch to Apple's plan or stick with ATT next for upgrades?

Ninja Dom

How fast do you think 16gb 6s+ will go? I don't carry music with me and I have drop box.

See my post above with the pic of the Video Recording options.

And also Live Photos take up 2x the space of a normal 12mp photo.

16GB will not get you far at all.

Somebody even said in an earlier post in this thread that 4K video recording is disabled on 16GB phones (not sure if serious though).

Even after a while of good usage, your iMessages, emails and other app data will start to fill up.

Kama_1082

Banned
See my post above with the pic of the Video Recording options.

And also Live Photos take up 2x the space of a normal 12mp photo.

16GB will not get you far at all.

Somebody even said in an earlier post in this thread that 4K video recording is disabled on 16GB phones (not sure if serious though).

Even after a while of good usage, your iMessages, emails and other app data will start to fill up.

I'm sure you can turn that off so I'm not worried.

I should have reworded my question. Does anyone think that the 16gb 6S+ preorders will be the first to go?

Kajiba

Question Gaf. I want to upgrde my iphone from 4s to 6s with apple store or at&t if I can but I want to keep my unlimited Data I have
(Grandfather Clause). Which will be the best route for me if possible without losing it. Will I have to buy out right or can I do payment plan with everything still the same?

I heard some people lost it a year or two back by mistake and I really don't want that to happen to me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Essentially going with a Next plan only saves you money if you're NOT on an Unlimited plan, but one of their new ones. This is because they discount the monthly access fee. if she's on Unlimited, they don't do that. So her bill goes from Data + Monthly fee to Data + Monthly Fee + Phone payments. The only advantage she'd get from being in a Next plan is not being technically locked in for 24 months, since she could pay off the phone whenever she wanted. And she could turn in her iPhone for an early upgrade depending on which Next plan she went with, but her monthly bill absolutely would go up. Since she wouldn't be getting the line access discount thanks to the unlimited data, she'd really only be adding to her bill

Now that said, you can also only get a 2 year contract on AT&T's online store, not at anywhere like an Apple Store or Best Buy
Any word on if you can preorder from AT&T's store online or do you have to do it through Apple? I want to upgrade to 6s+ from 5s but I'm afraid I have to wait like six years argh

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Any word on if you can preorder from AT&T's store online or do you have to do it through Apple? I want to upgrade to 6s+ from 5s but I'm afraid I have to wait like six years argh

Wasn't demand really well met last year?

I feel like iphones being sold out for a long time is over.

Top Bottom