• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Red

Got on board the 6S train yesterday

Picked up the silver 16GB model. Don't need much storage as all my music comes through spotify

Upgraded from a Nexus 5 and loving it so far
I don't think the concern now is music, but the doubled space requirements of live photos and storage-hungry 4K video.

Seems Apple pulled Lirium Device Info Lite. It's still in my Purchases but it doesn't appear on a search for it on the front screen of the App Store.

Yeah, it seems as if it's been pulled. I still wouldn't approve an unknown profile for this though.

I don't think the concern now is music, but the doubled space requirements of live photos and storage-hungry 4K video.

Does anyone actually shoot in 4k? Seems unnecessary for most people.

Arcteryx

I got my 6S Plus yesterday, so far everything is perfect except for one pretty significant thing. The battery life is much better, everything is perfectly smooth and it multitasks like a dream.

The big problem is that it will randomly lose internet connection. It's happened four times now, for 5-15 minutes the phone will just completely lose the ability to connect to the internet. Wi-Fi or 4G. It happened when I was trying to activate the phone and has happened twice yesterday and once today. It says it's connected to Wi-Fi or 4G, but nothing will load on any app. This happened on both stock iOS and 9.0.2, and not in areas where there could be data interference. It's the only blemish on an otherwise great experience. Not sure if it's an iOS or hardware fault, as AFAIK the only bugs have been cellular related and this affects Wi-Fi too. If it happens over the weekend I'll probably exchange the phone as obviously I can't have the internet die on me at important times.

Did you swap SIMs or something? If you did, make sure you register the new SIM.

Otherwise, I'd do a full wipe of the device.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got on board the 6S train yesterday

Picked up the silver 16GB model. Don't need much storage as all my music comes through spotify

Upgraded from a Nexus 5 and loving it so far

Isn't there a risk of running out of space just with apps? I don't have that many apps on my 16GB z3 but already had to move most to my SD card

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone here on Verizon with info on 6S+ arrival estimates? I'd like to trade up, but my 14 day exchange period ends next Wednesday and I'm not sure if they'll have any Plusses in stock by then.

Dazzler

Isn't there a risk of running out of space just with apps? I don't have that many apps on my 16GB z3 but already had to move most to my SD card

I just came from a 16gb Nexus 5 and space was never an issue there either

I don't really play any mobile games outside of Words With Friends, so 16gb seems fine for my needs

Red

I am sure people do. There must be demand for it or it would not be a feature. But I have no idea what the metrics are.

Amy video recording can be called unnecessary. Smartphones are unnecessary. But these things exist because they are wanted and utilized.

Giant pos reporting in, phone is warming up nice n toasty, I'm ready for the fall!

(!)Unlocked Hidden Feature: Hand warmer

Edit: it's a joke... My samsung chip is fine

Fjordson

Don't use that. Terrible idea to approve a profile from China.

For those that have used it, I would encourage a wipe asap and restore a backup from before you used the profile.
This is what I did, lol.

Not even sure if it was needed, but I felt a little sketchy after using it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I have started. I shoot at the highest quality possible, always (i.e. 720p240, and 4k30)

It can be a pain, but to alleviate that I have a 128GB phone and have resigned to needing to offload videos at times..

you can never "go back" and make shot video "better". Why they're called moments.

FWIW, I swear the 4K video looks better full screen on my 1680x1050 monitor than the 1080p video does. I've even done side by side comparisons.. could just be in my head I guess..

Leotarius

My battery drain while on standby is atrocious for an iPhone. It drained 20% in 6 hours of sleep last night. Think it's time to take this baby back to the store. 128GB 6s+ TSMC. Ugh Apple is running into more quality issues now that they make so many phones. It's getting annoying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have started. I shoot at the highest quality possible, always (i.e. 720p240, and 4k30)

It can be a pain, but to alleviate that I have a 128GB phone and have resigned to needing to offload videos at times..

you can never "go back" and make shot video "better". Why they're called moments.

FWIW, I swear the 4K video looks better full screen on my 1680x1050 monitor than the 1080p video does. I've even done side by side comparisons.. could just be in my head I guess..

Do you need to use iTunes to get footage off? I'd prefer to manage without installing iTunes if I grab an iPhone

Number45

64GB Space Grey 6S Plus ordered. Looking forward to a huge leap over my 4S! ^_^

Hopefully the case will be available by the time it's due to arrive, towards the end of the month.

Hows the screen quality in terms of uniformity this time around? My launch 6 had the perfect screen, but the side came with a huge chip. I exchanged it thinking it would be simple, but the new phone had obviously warmer color temps with yellow blotches and banding in multiple areas of the screen. Exchanged it a few more times until I gave up with one that wasn't as severe. Never got one again with cooler color temp and no yellow tinting and blotches like in most display models.

Ninja Dom

Do you need to use iTunes to get footage off? I'd prefer to manage without installing iTunes if I grab an iPhone

On a Mac you don't actually use iTunes to take camera pics and videos off. You can use Image Capture to take the raw pics & video files off or Photos app and organise them into albums and slideshows.

Perhaps somebody else can give Windows suggestions.

Fjordson

Hows the screen quality in terms of uniformity this time around? My launch 6 had the perfect screen, but the side came with a huge chip. I exchanged it thinking it would be simple, but the new phone had obviously warmer color temps with yellow blotches and banding in multiple areas of the screen. Exchanged it a few more times until I gave up with one that wasn't as severe. Never got one again with cooler color temp and no yellow tinting and blotches like in most display models.
Screen lottery was kind to me and the wife this year. Both of our 6S's have no color banding and the temperature isn't too warm. And mine is brighter than my 5 was.

Namikaze

I've really been considering selling my 2G iPad Mini after getting the 6S+. The only thing I use it for is comics/studying class notes but I can do that just as easily on my iPhone/Macbook. I'm trying to figure out a good use for it at this point but can't really find one. Also, I was reading comics/listening to music earlier today and it crashed/stopped displaying images + wouldn't load the multitasking bar (probably due to low ram). Kinda makes me not want to deal with it anymore.

Red

Moment of truth.

imageyou4o.jpeg

wtf

I ordered gold, the box shows a gold phone, but it's a rose gold handset.

Ninja Dom

Moment of truth.

wtf

I ordered gold, the box shows a gold phone, but it's a rose gold handset.

Nah, I got the Gold. The fish on the front of the Gold is different. Does the sticker with the barcodes say Rose Gold?

EDIT: Oh shit! Yours is a Plus. Mine is a standard. Same fish but in different poses. Dude, you got the wrong box - Google shows Rose Gold should be a an orange & pink fish.

Red

You got the Gold 6S Plus, not Rose Gold from looking at your pic.

What colour does the barcode sticker on the back say?
It says gold. I was surprised because the picture of the phone on the box is very obviously gold, but the phone is more tan colored.

ruxtpin

Banned
My battery drain while on standby is atrocious for an iPhone. It drained 20% in 6 hours of sleep last night. Think it's time to take this baby back to the store. 128GB 6s+ TSMC. Ugh Apple is running into more quality issues now that they make so many phones. It's getting annoying.

Similar issue here w my 6S and I think I have a TSMC chip based on running that app yesterday. I've had mine on airplane mode for 7 hours and its dropped 10%, not sure if thats good or not - but annoying that I have to basically turn the phone off to get it to last.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
It says gold. I was surprised because the picture of the phone on the box is very obviously gold, but the phone is more tan colored.

You've got plain ol' gold.. its all dependant on the lighting, take it outside and it'll look different.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've really been considering selling my 2G iPad Mini after getting the 6S+. The only thing I use it for is comics/studying class notes but I can do that just as easily on my iPhone/Macbook. I'm trying to figure out a good use for it at this point but can't really find one. Also, I was reading comics/listening to music earlier today and it crashed/stopped displaying images + wouldn't load the multitasking bar (probably due to low ram). Kinda makes me not want to deal with it anymore.

This is what I was thinking, partly to help offset the costs. The larger phone has a big enough screen and good enough battery for general sofa browsing, and then I would have my laptop for anything that needs a larger screen. Could then sell my iPad Air 2

Shun

This is what I was thinking, partly to help offset the costs. The larger phone has a big enough screen and good enough battery for general sofa browsing, and then I would have my laptop for anything that needs a larger screen. Could then sell my iPad Air 2

This is what I did. I was sick of having to carry an iPad 2, iPod Touch, and a 5S around. iPad 2 for textbooks, powerpoint, etc. iPod Touch for music/gym/commute. 16GB 5S for phone and everything else.

Got an upgrade promo for $200 off a phone paid off in full. I traded in my 5S to Verizon for $300 and sold my iPad 2 and iPod Touch both for $400.

Basically got my 6S+ for under $100 after taxes.

I definitely love having everything in one device now and my 6S+ functions good enough for my books and all my iPad necessities. Plays movies great too.

6S+ with my MacBook Pro is the best combination now. Got used to the 6S+ size and I love the battery. Totally worth getting rid of my old devices for.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ive been having this problem with my 5 for the last week now out of nowhere. In fact im having it now.
I think its IOS9

If it's iOS 9 at least it can be fixed.

Did you swap SIMs or something? If you did, make sure you register the new SIM.

Otherwise, I'd do a full wipe of the device.

It's my old SIM and restored from a backup, and I have a done a full wipe in the past. This issue happened with the device over Wi-Fi before it was even set up.

gimmmick

Giantic piece of shit chiming in with the whole chipgate fiasco

Samsung chip chip here, and been using my phone for the past 13 days now.

IMG_3052_zps4ntsysrh.png

This was after working at a hotel which has terrible cell coverage is switching to 3g to LTE majority of the time. Checking facebook, instagram, surfing the net, streaming music, watching baseball high lights off at bat 15, taking photos and recording a couple of 4k video at a party after work. I guess you can say it's real life usage instead of running heavy processor related apps. (games etc). Granted this isn't a logic way of the best accurate way of finding how good your battery life, but it goes up and beyond what I ask for it to do on a daily basis (esp coming after the iphone 5s).

Just wanted to bring some positive news towards this thread and other samsung owners. Yeah we probably got the short end of the stick here, but I have been loving my phone since getting it (6s: 64 gig, verizon).

samn

I'm assuming you guys saw this but just in case. For heavy use like gaming, the TSMC does last significantly longer

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/07/tsmc-samsung-a9-battery-tests/

That's true, but having thought about it a bit I'm not sure it really matters.

Nobody plays heavy games for an entire battery cycle. If they only game for 1-2 hours then they'll only see the 20% variation for that 1-2 hours. The battery will drain at a consistent rate for the rest of the cycle.

I'm happy with Apple's answer, for now.

Arcteryx

How do I activate my new phone on T-Mobile? Swap sims?

Shouldn't even have to swap, but if you do, make sure to register the new SIM on tmobile.com/sim (or something like that). Also, make sure to sign out of iMessage and other services first before you yank the SIM...had issues myself with that shit for a couple hours (it had the old SIM still registered with iMessage on the network, which made my number look like my old SIM number instead lol).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

In Windows you can copy videos and photos off the phone like any usb connected device/digital camera via My Computer. Phone needs to be unlocked in order to show up.

On a different note:

Christ Three, make up your god-damn minds. I ordered an iPhone 6S as a free upgrade on October 5th. Then I got notified on October 6th that "due to the high level of demand the device is temporarily out of stock. There will be a delay with your order. A Customer Service advisor will be in touch to confirm expected delivery date and to check if you would like to wait for this device to come back into stock or change your order."

Got a call earlier today telling me my order was confirmed and due "for delivery on Monday or Tuesday" next week. Cool, not much of a delay there(!).

Just now got a dispatch notification that my order is on the way and will be delivered tomorrow morning.

Great!

Just wanted to bring some positive news towards this thread and other samsung owners. Yeah we probably got the short end of the stick here, but I have been loving my phone since getting it (6s: 64 gig, verizon).
I have a 6s 64gb too, T-Mobile version from apple and has Samsung

I wonder if all regular 64s are Samsung peasants since most plus people are reporting Tsmc

Top Bottom